GUILTY AZ - Madeline 'Maddie' Jones, 19 & William Jones-Gouchenour, 9 mos, found safe, Mesa, 15 Jun 2017

No legal expert here, either, but ...:

If Maddie is hiding out with William on her own, her parents (or yet another party) are helping them or even holding them against their will (e.g., I understand that William's father and Maddie are the only parties who currently share William's custody, but say, a third party did not want Maddie complying with the joint custody order and thus have kidnapped -or even worse ... :(- both Maddie and the baby; I am not saying that's what happened, but I get the impression that the father's attorney is at least considering such scenario as a possibility), I do wonder why no criminal charges have been filed against anyone.

Perhaps LE/DA do not have quite enough evidence to have an arrest warrant issued.

For example, according to the father's attorney:
"The judge in the case of missing mother Madeline Jones and her 9-month-old baby William told the parents of the woman that they would have to share their phone, email and bank records with the court in an investigation to find out whether they have information of her and the child’s whereabouts."

I don't know if the parents would be allowed to appeal the judge's order, but even if they complied immediately, it probably would take the judge a couple weeks to obtain and review those types of records (or maybe LE are already in possession of such records, and if allowed by a criminal court judge, they can share the information with the family court judge handling the custody case??).

So perhaps LE/DA/family court are working together to file a criminal(s) charge against Maddie, someone helping her, or holding her and William against their will ... or something else :(.

As to Kiitah's question, according to the father's attorney:
"Thursday, the judge issued a stern warning to the Jones family, stating to the attorneys for Madeline and the Joneses that their 'next move was the most important one,' adding that if Madeline were to return now, he would grant leniency. He also stated that if Madeline did not return by July 11, she would face harsh and severe sanctions."

Since I haven't seen the actual court documents, I really don't want to speculate what may happen next. And Ireally don't know what to think at this point. I just don't like that Maddie and William are still missing.

The family law judge has no authority to issue criminal orders except civil contempt orders (which are quasi criminal). A subpoena is sent directly, typically, to the provider/holder of the records. It looks like her family tried to prevent the phone company, or bank from releasing records that could be used to trace this young lady and the baby, but the judge overruled them. So the records will come directly from the entities, not from her parents.

Consequences could include monetary sanctions, a finding of contempt (although someone would have to file a motion seeking a finding of contempt - at least that's how it works in CA), or a more permanent change in custody. It sounds like now, the judge is willing to still be lenient with the mom and work with her and keep the baby in her custody long term, if she comes back. If she doesn't, all bets are off and it will be harder for her not to lose custody if she's found.

Here are the links:
"Respondent's Emergency Order To Return Child"
Degree of Dissolution
Warrant

What's interesting about the warrant - and I hadn't seen this earlier, is that it says unequivocally that the court finds that Baby William is being held "in custody, confinement, or restraint..." by Madeline Jones. He must have been convinced that she's in hiding.

Yeah. I think the evidence is likely pretty good.

I would love to see the evidence. The judge can only go on what he's told. We have seen this go wrong before. Frankly, I have no idea. But I do know that a 17 year old with a baby can't stay missing for this long unless something is not right. As well, we see many missing teens on this site...the longer it goes, the more worrisome I become. IMO....

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

No, a judge cannot only go on what he's told. He goes on the actual evidence - what he sees and hears. In this case, he also got to base decisions on the outcome of a child custody psychological evaluation and investigation and those are intensive.

So this is not a mere he-said she-said situation.

Once again, I have never seen a court order as strongly worded as this one. People make nasty allegations in custody battles routinely that are later found to be false. Rarely do judges do anything but state that there is no basis for the allegations, or that they person making the accusations isn't credible. And then they discount the false allegations. But to actually make such strong and definitive pronouncements as what this judge did? Extremely rare. In my 16 years of practice I have never personally seen such a strongly worded order.

The judge even went so far as to use the much higher standard of proof -beyond a reasonable doubt - when laying waste to her false allegations and those of her parents.

He saw some definitive evidence in order to make such a ruling. And if this child had been older and/or knew the dad at all prior to the order, custody would've been totally switched.

As to whether a teeanger can stay missing for this long without being dead, sure they can. Happens all the time. And if she has received help from her parents or other adults? Of course she can be spirited away and kept hidden.

Her parents aren't cooperating with the police who are desperately trying to find this young woman and her baby. That speaks volumes.

That being said, she and the baby are at risk of harm. Especially the baby. Parents sometimes kill their kids in order not to lose control. And/or themselves. She felt she was losing control, by all accounts.

Found in emergency order: the only person saying the mother is unstable is the father.

#12 of emergency order: there is a pending psychological evaluation of mother which has not been completed. Father avows Mother has mental health problems and is a danger to her child.

Found in emergency order: #10- paraphrase- mother wants baby on breast milk and wants to breast feed. In the fathers 2 parenting sessions, he gives the baby a bottle of formula, videos it and sends the video to the mother.

If the parents aren't cooperating with the police I am assuming they know something. Maybe she just ran away and they are giving her the best shot to get as far away as she can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that is why the judge wants to subpoena the parents records. to see if there is a paper trail leading to mom and baby.

I would love to see the evidence. The judge can only go on what he's told. We have seen this go wrong before. Frankly, I have no idea. But I do know that a 17 year old with a baby can't stay missing for this long unless something is not right. As well, we see many missing teens on this site...the longer it goes, the more worrisome I become. IMO....

actually, it says that the baby "cannot drink from a cup or bottle and cannot have visits with the father because he is strictly breastfed" and the father sent her video to show that the baby can in fact take a bottle. if she wanted to cooperate, she could send breast milk for the bottle. it does not seem to be done to distress mother. however, mother seems to go to great lengths to prevent any type of relationship between the child and his father.

Found in emergency order: #10

she has not completed it because she refuses to cooperate.

Found in emergency order: the only person saying the mother is unstable is the father.

#12 of emergency order: there is a pending psychological evaluation of mother which has not been completed. Father avows Mother has mental health problems and is a danger to her child.

actually, it says that the baby "cannot drink from a cup or bottle and cannot have visits with the father because he is strictly breastfed" and the father sent her video to show that the baby can in fact take a bottle. if she wanted to cooperate, she could send breast milk for the bottle. it does not seem to be done to distress mother. however, mother seems to go to great lengths to prevent any type of relationship between the child and his father.

Found in emergency order: #10
It should be a mother's choice to breast feed.,..IMO.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Can you point me to confirmation as to why the evaluation is not complete? Just looking for a link. Thanks

Yes, but she cannot use that to disrupt or prevent parenting time for the dad. She can either pump or if she is unwilling to supply milk, dad will have no option but to use a bottle.

I have had and have a breast-feeding client and they supply milk to the dad to use. If they can't, the dads supplement with formula.

Mom refuses to undergo a psych eval. Why? Dad undergoes an evaluation and he is not found to be a danger to the child.

Her disappearance, which is looking quite voluntary to me, coupled with her refusal to cooperate with court orders and the psych eval, and her parents refusal to cooperate, evidence that dad was likely right - she is a danger.

It's simple: If my ex is a danger and a liar and a bad guy I am going to jump at the chance to undergo a child custody evaluation and investigation so they can review all the evidence, and conduct psychological evaluations of him and I and be able to see who is telling the truth and who is not.

She didn't do that. In my 16 years of experience in this field, the only people who fail to cooperate in such exams are mentally ill people, substance and/or alcohol abusers and people guilty of terrible crimes.

I agree, however it is to nourish a baby, not a legal "tool" to prohibit a relationship w the father.

pumps and bottles exist for this purpose.

why else would it not have been done?

in family court, your lawyer will tell you first thing to just jump through the hoops the judge sets. if dad is making "cray" allegations, and she is not cray, a psych eval would exonerate her. looks like dad complied. why not mom?

Can you point me to confirmation as to why the evaluation is not complete? Just looking for a link. Thanks

why else would it not have been done?

in family court, your lawyer will tell you first thing to just jump through the hoops the judge sets. if dad is making "cray" allegations, and she is not cray, a psych eval would exonerate her. looks like dad complied. why not mom?
The simplest answer would be that the psychologist hasn't finished,..but we all have opinions. Thanks...

im reading the same court order full of dad complying and mom found to be non cooperative. if I was this judge I would give dad sole legal and physical with supervised visits to mom with a psychologist present. I hope she has not harmed herself and this baby.

The simplest answer would be that the psychologist hasn't finished,..but we all have opinions. Thanks...

The baby is 9m/o and is likely beginning to try some pureed foods now as well -- there's absolutely no reason he couldn't have formula during visits with Dad. Or pumped milk if mom was willing to provide. It is certainly worth the benefit of having a relationship with both parents.

It sounds as though they are definitely hiding. I hope the information from Maddie's parents' bank and phones will help locate them.

I can say from personal experience that my babies wouldn't take a bottle when I tried. They'd only nurse. They would sometimes take one from others, sometimes not. I rarely left them, but there were times I had to and they'd drink maybe 4oz all day! I can see why that would make mom very nervous.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I can say from personal experience that my babies wouldn't take a bottle when I tried. They'd only nurse. They would sometimes take one from others, sometimes not. I rarely left them, but there were times I had to and they'd drink maybe 4oz all day! I can see why that would make mom very nervous.

The baby in this case does take a bottle.

I can as well however in this case she was using it as an excuse. Read the court orders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is today the mentioned date in the court documents? I hope mom and baby turn up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jyquanstewart699
Back