AZ AZ - Tempe, HispFem, UP1987, 15-19, hitchhiking, overdose, Apr'02

Hoping our good friend fmw :)blowkiss:) is trying to get a few more details for us to go on.....

Ok--to give a more local perspective of that area:

32nd St and Greenway is right off of Rt 51, which is a major through-fare from downtown Phoenix to N. Phoenix/Scottsdale etc. It was still called Squaw Peak Parkway during the time of this unidentified, but became Piestewa Freeway in 2003. This particular area is an older area of N. Phoenix, with a mix of nice and not so nice places. It is right on the border of Paradise Valley (it may even be within the boundaries), which has the highest home values in Phoenix (everyone thinks its Scottdale, but it is Paradise Valley). Just nort of 32nd and Greenway is a Mobile Home park (according to Google Maps) Rt 51 did not originally go all the way to Rt 101, but I do not remember where it ended. I do not think it was to 101 by 2002. I also cannot remember what year Rt 51 went all the way to 101--can another local help me with this? Was it before 2002? Paradise Valley Community College is just a few blocks north of this intersection--could she be older and have gone to community college? Also, Paradise Valley hospital is at 40th/Bell Rd. Perhaps she was at the hospital for drug problems and "escaped"? Horizon High School is located at Greenway and 50th Street, I wonder if that school was checked? The guy who picked her up--do we have a name? Was he ever arrested for supplying her with drugs? Are we basing everything on this guys testimony?

Also--do we know what concert she was getting tickets for? If she was going to Tempe for tickets, she may have been going to get tickets at Gammage Auditorium or the Marquis Theatre. I will research that...

She appears to have a scar on the bridge of her nose in the morgue photo, but it's not noted in her physical characteristics. Does anyone else believe this is something we should be looking for in the missings?

The guy who picked her up--do we have a name? Was he ever arrested for supplying her with drugs? Are we basing everything on this guys testimony?

Also--do we know what concert she was getting tickets for? If she was going to Tempe for tickets, she may have been going to get tickets at Gammage Auditorium or the Marquis Theatre. I will research that...

It doesn't look like he was ever charged. From the article fmw63 posted
"Lowenhagen said investigators looked at whether charges were applicable, but it's not illegal to drive someone to buy an outlawed substance."
I haven't seen anything that gives this guys name, or any info on whether or not other people were questioned about his story.

How was the police report for Tawni Mazzone's case obtained? Do you all think its possible to try to get the one for this girls case? There was definitely a lot more info that turned up once we saw that.

Getting more info on the concert is a good idea I think. Also, the fact she was even wanting to get the tickets does make me think she's a local or at least had been in town for a while, if she knew where to go to get tickets and wanted to go to a concert. Thats not really the type of thing I imagine very transient people do when they're in a new/unfamiliar city is it? Its possible, but it does seem more like she'd at least been in town for a bit IMO.

As of 2002 the 51 was at least to Bell Road (my memory stops at Cactus during which I began moving in/out of Arizona for a few years). I found an old article from April 2002 that is completely irrelevant to this case but talks about taking directions from the SR51 to Bell Rd.

<snip>
Directions: Just outside of Phoenix. Look at the map and take route 51 (Squaw Peak Parkway) to Bell Road exit. Make a left, and at the second set of lights make a left on 40th Street. The entrance is 1/4 mile on the left, in the park next to the high school and swimming pool.
</snip>

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-25102802_ITM

Ok--to give a more local perspective of that area:

32nd St and Greenway is right off of Rt 51, which is a major through-fare from downtown Phoenix to N. Phoenix/Scottsdale etc. It was still called Squaw Peak Parkway during the time of this unidentified, but became Piestewa Freeway in 2003. This particular area is an older area of N. Phoenix, with a mix of nice and not so nice places. It is right on the border of Paradise Valley (it may even be within the boundaries), which has the highest home values in Phoenix (everyone thinks its Scottdale, but it is Paradise Valley). Just nort of 32nd and Greenway is a Mobile Home park (according to Google Maps) Rt 51 did not originally go all the way to Rt 101, but I do not remember where it ended. I do not think it was to 101 by 2002. I also cannot remember what year Rt 51 went all the way to 101--can another local help me with this? Was it before 2002? Paradise Valley Community College is just a few blocks north of this intersection--could she be older and have gone to community college? Also, Paradise Valley hospital is at 40th/Bell Rd. Perhaps she was at the hospital for drug problems and "escaped"? Horizon High School is located at Greenway and 50th Street, I wonder if that school was checked? The guy who picked her up--do we have a name? Was he ever arrested for supplying her with drugs? Are we basing everything on this guys testimony?

Thanks for the info--I remember what a pain it was to get to 101 before it was extended, but could not remember when they finished it. I sent an email to the box office manager at the Marquee for the concert listings for April-Dec 2002 (I figured that would be a good range--we probably only need approx April, May, June concert listings though...hopefully I will hear something back...

As of 2002 the 51 was at least to Bell Road (my memory stops at Cactus during which I began moving in/out of Arizona for a few years). I found an old article from April 2002 that is completely irrelevant to this case but talks about taking directions from the SR51 to Bell Rd.

<snip>
Directions: Just outside of Phoenix. Look at the map and take route 51 (Squaw Peak Parkway) to Bell Road exit. Make a left, and at the second set of lights make a left on 40th Street. The entrance is 1/4 mile on the left, in the park next to the high school and swimming pool.
</snip>

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-25102802_ITM

Thanks for the info--I remember what a pain it was to get to 101 before it was extended, but could not remember when they finished it. I sent an email to the box office manager at the Marquee for the concert listings for April-Dec 2002 (I figured that would be a good range--we probably only need approx April, May, June concert listings though...hopefully I will hear something back...

Great idea Jules!

So far...
"Hispanic favorite" Joan Sebastian at the new Dodge Theatre - 4/27
Country Thunder USA - country music festival also that weekend...

Where did you find this info? I never heard back from the guy at the Marquee. :(

Ah yes, Country Thunder--that would have still been at the Farm in Queen Creek, right? Do they still do Country Thunder?
So far...
"Hispanic favorite" Joan Sebastian at the new Dodge Theatre - 4/27
Country Thunder USA - country music festival also that weekend...

Does it say anywhere if she spoke with an accent? It probably wouldn't tell us anything if she didn't have an accent, but if she did...If her family wasn't from here and were here without proper documentation, maybe they were fearful of coming forward to claim her.

Question for the Arizona people: how well do the different ethnic groups "mix" there?

If she was Native, how likely would she be to go to a Hispanic concert, and so on...

That I do not know. I have only lived here during the past 10 years, and 2 of those 10 were also living in CA. If she was in college, and had a group of hispanic friends, I think that she would go, but I do not know for certain.
Question for the Arizona people: how well do the different ethnic groups "mix" there?

If she was Native, how likely would she be to go to a Hispanic concert, and so on...

If she was a native, born here (Mexican-American) it would depend on her parents and how she was raised. Some Hispanic parents want nothing but their kids to fit in, so sometimes they don't even know Spanish, while others will drive the values and culture into them. If put in the right setting, anyone would go.

I'm not Hispanic at all yet I get confused for it all the time (I'm Greek), I can speak it, sing it, dance it, and have been to the concerts- granted I was dating a Hispanic guy at the time, and both of my kids are half, but you get the idea.

Also, if someone did happen to mention she had a Hispanic accent, it may not mean all that much. Back when I was speaking it heavily, even my English came out with a Spanish tone, and I would also end up speaking Spanglish a lot (half English/half Spanish sentences).

Ex.- In English: I'm sorry, but I can't go to the party. In Spanish: Lo siento, pero no puedo ir a la fiesta. In Spanglish: Lo siento, pero I can't go to the party.

If she was a native, born here (Mexican-American) it would depend on her parents and how she was raised.

Oh, what I really meant was Native American (Indian).:)

Oh, whoops, I thought you meant native to AZ itself.

Even if she was Native-American, the theory would still work, minus the way she was raised, but if she had friends into it and such.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back