Bosma Murder Trial 02.22.16 - Day 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Carter 10:45 AM
Now on morning recess until 11:15 a.m.

Well, that was a boring morning here at WS

I'm on the road, thankful for the recess, sux to pull over and catch up on tweets every 15min.
Regardless of quantity or lack of, I appreciate everyone who takes the time to keep the page updated.

Adam Carter 10:45 AM
Now on morning recess until 11:15 a.m.

Well, that was a boring morning here at WS

On the bright side, it feels great to be getting some work done for a change. :)

I think it's going to be extremely interesting to hear "all the things the jury did not hear" once they begin deliberations.

I think it's going to be extremely interesting to hear "all the things the jury did not hear" once they begin deliberations.
Hope DM's taking notes so he knows what he should do during the LB trial! Dungey's probably really looking forward to working along side self defending DM. MOO

Adam Carter 11:16 AM
Court now resuming after the morning break. I'll let you know when the jury is back in and we can talk about what's happening.

Adam Carter 11:17 AM
Ancaster Councillor Lloyd Ferguson is here in the courtroom this morning.

I wonder what in the world could be cause for such legal arguments??

Question: Is it law in Canada to not allow legal arguments to leave the court room when the jury is out, OR is it merely declared by the judge on a trial by trial basis?

Adam Carter 11:42 AM
Still in legal arguments this morning. No sign of the jury yet.

This must be something big. We'll be at the lunch break soon.

It figures, the day I'm home sick with a cold and I can follow as it happens and not play catch up is the day nothing is happening. I should rephrase. I think lots is happening we just don't know what!

I am surprised that they are doing legal arguments again and right out of the gate after all they worked all day on legal arguments this past Friday.
I look at the events of this morning and at some of the questions that DM's lawyer has been asking on past days ....and frankly, the questions have appeared to be somewhat less sophisticated than what I would expect from a lawyer. Am beginning to wonder how much involvement DM has in directing his lawyer. After all, he is supposedly going to act as his own defence in the LB case....maybe he's putting a little practice in now

Adam Carter 12:02 PM
Okay, the jury is now being led in. We're getting underway.

Woohoo, here we go (maybe)!

Adam Carter 12:05 PM
The first witness today is Darryl Denny.

Adam Carter 12:06 PM
He was a chief building official in North Dumphries back in May of 2013.

Adam Carter 12:07 PM
Back in 2013, a building application for the then Millard-owned farm was submitted to the municipality.

Adam Carter 12:09 PM
It was an application to build a building on the Millard farm.

Adam Carter 12:10 PM
The signature on the application is Madeline Burns -- Millard's mother.

are you ok to continue Velma with Adam's tweets? I can take over if you like.

Adam Carter 12:09 PM
It was an application to build a building on the Millard farm.

Adam Carter 12:10 PM
The signature on the application is Madeline Burns -- Millard's mother.
Didn't see this coming! Wonder what this has to do with TB's death?

I wonder what in the world could be cause for such legal arguments??

This is fairly routine in point of fact. Many matters require a ruling from the judge, but these discussions (arguments is the legal term, but it does not necessarily mean it is disputatious) always take place in the absence of the jury. In a judge alone trial, or in an appeals court proceeding, you don't tend to notice them so much because there is no jury involved.

It is also routine during a jury trial not to report on matters discussed in court in the absence of the jury. This makes it far less necessary to "sequester" the jury - keep them in isolation in a hotel for the duration of the trial, an extremely onerous, not to mention expensive, procedure.

It doesn't mean that people in court can't share what they heard with their family over dinner (provided they have no connection to the case), it just means it can't be published until the trial is concluded.

Matters include quite minor questions of procedure, questions concerning admissibility of particular evidence, presentation of qualifications of a potential witness to be declared an "expert witness" (shades of the Dr. Charles Smith fiasco -- he should never have been considered an expert witness on forensic pathology, in which he had no qualifications whatever, and protocols for qualifying a witness to be an expert in a field have since been made more specific and subject to approval).

It can also be something major, too, of course, such as an accused changing his or her plea, or challenging evidence to be introduced that was not (purportedly) disclosed.

Sometimes the judge takes these matters under advisement because he or she wishes to consult legal precedent or related cases before making a decision.

Adam Carter 12:13 PM
Court now seeing a photo of where the proposed building would have went. It's just to the northwest of the treeline where the Eliminator was discovered.

Adam Carter 12:16 PM
They were looking to build a 40x110 drive shed, estimated in value at $50K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500