Brandon Scott Lavergne - Guilty Plea and LWOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hurricane prep in full swing.... wind starting up here in Lafayette - darn near the first wind all summer.

Stuff all over the yard from my many projects - have to put away as much as I can. Nailing up a missing 4-ft. length of soffet on the SW corner of the eaves that burned in the fire I had in Nov. - can't let the wind get in there and lift the roof. Not overly worried about wind here in Lafayette - just a deluge - maybe 24 hours non-stop. Finally got the tailgate installed on my old truck last night. Going to take the boat off the trailer in case the drain hole plugs with leaves, so that the weight of the water doesn't collapse the trailer. Everyone's going about their business calmly here in Lafayette - gassing up - checking the generator - shelves are empty of water. I have my own well of sweet clean water & a generator cord that runs it, so the horses won't go thirsty. Kerosene lanterns, rabbit ears and digital converter box for the TV, propane stove.... Spam recipes ready to go.

Most of us here in Lafayette probably won't even lose power. It's the flooding of the low-lying areas that may cause problems. I'm on a ridge at 25 feet above sea level. Ten miles south of me, Erath and Delcambre are at 2 feet. Lots of water coming.

Prayers for those in the way of the storm surge. This is life in south Louisiana

Thanks for the update! Stay safe!

YYCGIRL ~ BSL'S girlfriend IS doing "great" ..... she got away from him. May be shocked, devastated or even embarrassed, but still alive! Another word that comes to mind, is fortunate, blessed not to have become a victim herself !

That's very true, i agree completley. however I was wondering more about her state of mind and emotionally. I would think finding out the man you were going to marry is a serial killer would Be traumatizing. But she is very lucky to be alive and well.

@reedus23 Beautifully written. I have lived in Cajun Country since the age of 6 and never have I been so proud to call it home. The community did come together like I have never witnessed before. It brings to mind the Candlelight Vigil for Mickey. So many people gathered together for one purpose, to bring Mickey home. And when the entire group started singing "all you need is love" well that was very powerful and amazing. I still get chills when thinking of it. Oh and Isaac has just been upgraded to a hurricane. Be safe all!

Continuous Video Tribute for Mighty Mick
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umiSeYbf96E&feature=related"]mickey shunick lafayette,la - YouTube[/ame]

Hi everyone. This is my first post as I recently signed up. I have been reading along however, since the beginning. When someone goes missing my heart always goes out to them and their loved ones but something about Mickey was different. I thought (and still do) of her and her family/friends everyday. Reading the news about her everyday and prayed continually for her. I cried so many times through out this and still do. I felt as though Mickey was a part of my family. I just cannot seem to understand or explain the way I am drawn to her. When mickeys body was found, like many of you i felt relief for the shunicks and that sweet mickey would be finally home, but ifelt devastated too. Hearing how hard she fought BSL broke my heart but made me so proud. She is a hero. I guess I just felt as though I needed to get this off my chest to many others who I know feel the same. Everyone here's dedication to this case is amazing. I have never been to Louisiana, but have always wanted to and after seeing how the community came together for Mickey made me even more want to go there. I have never seen people come together and love in that way before. Truly incredible.

Thank you all for listening to me.

Today I read an article where it was stated that at least 13 people were aware that Mickey had been murdered. This is the first time I hear of that (aside from the legal documents that stated BSL made a comment to certain people, however it was vague with no detail so I assumed nobody knew he killed her). http://*****************/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981592553

Also I was wondering if anyone knows how BSLs family is doing? I read on another forum that BSLs girlfriend, or former girlfriend I should say, was doing "great" but hard to get over when he is on tv every night. I found "great" an odd word to be used.
??? Can't get to article. However, hurricane is coming to my back door, as I'm half way in between LFT & Lake Charles, 30 min from Gulf. Maybe I an look it up later. Time to put away wind chimes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB3Imr1AWso&feature=fvwrel"]Find Mickey Shunick - YouTube[/ame]
ws

I figured they would try and hide behind this by using the ongoing investigation. Some aspects would be sensitive to other investigations but not all.

I wonder how long they will try and use this. More to the point, I wonder how long the public will allow them to do this. Time will tell.

I don't know how long other members of the public will give them, but I'll give them forever, as long as they are actively investigating. When and if it all goes cold, hopefully LE will release just enough so that we know if perhaps we know something that could push the case back into active investigation.

I figured they would try and hide behind this by using the ongoing investigation. Some aspects would be sensitive to other investigations but not all.

I wonder how long they will try and use this. More to the point, I wonder how long the public will allow them to do this. Time will tell.

ALLUSONZ ~ Remember the time when there was no word from LE ? We were all just hanging to receive word / anything about Mickey from LE ??
At this time we need to try again to be patient. We don't know what / when things will be revealed or what LE is pursuing at the moment. Judging by their past performance in arresting BSL, and knowing he is in Angola just several months since Mickey disappeared, is unbelievable !! Think of how unusual this is. They have shown us a tremendous credibility, so we must trust that they are doing the right thing. We're just not privy at this time. but when all is said and done, we will probably once again be WOWED by their actions and how hard they have worked. It's like blind faith.

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK, Jr.

RE: MS case: Asst DA Stutes has announced his retirement from Lfy DA office. He cites desire to spend more time with family as reason. Rumor is, his dissatisfaction with allegations surrounding DA and staff handling of OWI prosecutions (or lack thereof for certain people) among other improprieties within DA operations is the reason. Ms. Stutes is highly respected and is no way involved. Thankfully, IMO, he stayed long enough to handle the MS case. He definitely is/was the most qualified (maybe only qualified) prosecutor in the office. I have previously stated, IMO, without the tremendous public involvement and without Stutes' dedication, the MS case would have most likely floundered like most do.

Thank you for putting into words much which some of us think and feel!!

Totally O/T I am really curious about these hurricane parties that I have read so much about!! :angel:

ALLUSONZ ~ Sit down and mix yourself a drink when the lights go out !

Ha Ha ...... funny honey !

Hurricane prep in full swing.... wind starting up here in Lafayette - darn near the first wind all summer.

Stuff all over the yard from my many projects - have to put away as much as I can. Nailing up a missing 4-ft. length of soffet on the SW corner of the eaves that burned in the fire I had in Nov. - can't let the wind get in there and lift the roof. Not overly worried about wind here in Lafayette - just a deluge - maybe 24 hours non-stop. Finally got the tailgate installed on my old truck last night. Going to take the boat off the trailer in case the drain hole plugs with leaves, so that the weight of the water doesn't collapse the trailer. Everyone's going about their business calmly here in Lafayette - gassing up - checking the generator - shelves are empty of water. I have my own well of sweet clean water & a generator cord that runs it, so the horses won't go thirsty. Kerosene lanterns, rabbit ears and digital converter box for the TV, propane stove.... Spam recipes ready to go.

Most of us here in Lafayette probably won't even lose power. It's the flooding of the low-lying areas that may cause problems. I'm on a ridge at 25 feet above sea level. Ten miles south of me, Erath and Delcambre are at 2 feet. Lots of water coming.

Prayers for those in the way of the storm surge. This is life in south Louisiana

RE: rabbit ears and digital converter box for the TV

'Don't forget the aluminum foil for the rabbit ears'.. Reynolds Wrap works best, lol..

Stay safe..

I have followed this case from the beginning ( not sure how or why I found WS
but I did) . I believe that God works in mysterious ways and that finding this site was a spiritual thing and not a coincident ...so I prayed (along with many of you) that Mickey would be found.....and that BSL would understand how he affected so many people carrying out his horrible crimes I have only posted ten or so times....so im a luker.... I dont carry much weight...but I know I made contribution .......
I would like to say...thank you Mods for keeping the threads relevant and under control ... also many kudos to Chicken Fried as a true WS inside source..I would
also like to thank A.C.I for using his free time to work on this case. Foxfire I hope you write write a book on MS...... I think you( WSleuth'ers) all are amazing
...I do think that by keeping MS front and center helped solved this case. Ya'll
are amazing folks....keep on keeping on..........
I think I may move to Lafayette La..

Sorry I could not list all of your names that worked so hard..... but I dont think I need to..You know who you are.
THANKS RocketMan ~ What great things you have to say !

ALLUSONZ ~ Sit down and mix yourself a drink when the lights go out !

Ha Ha ...... funny honey !

Better pace yourself....seems this thing is going to be around for quite awhile. Seems like track keeps moving west with every update. Now looks like it may track between BR and Lfy. Likely we'll see 60mph winds along with rain before this is over. Not looking forward to 36 hours of constant 50+mph winds....probably lose power sometime early tomorrow....hope Slemco is prepared........

CF ~ Yall always lose power, but hope not. Are you on a farm ? Or am I able to ask such here ? Sounds like a real interesting life you have. An old truck, horses. I envy you ! Hope you weather the storm well !!

Water oaks have shallow roots, so they're the first to go...be careful.

YES DONAMENA ~

We have many tragedies because of the water oaks. I haven't been able to find a tree company to cut them. Very expensive ...... but then so are houses when
when they crash.
Thanx

I don't know how long other members of the public will give them, but I'll give them forever, as long as they are actively investigating. When and if it all goes cold, hopefully LE will release just enough so that we know if perhaps we know something that could push the case back into active investigation.

kgeaux, I honor and respect your opinions. My only concern is the innocent victims; known & unknown, and their families..

Without the public tips, BS Lavergne may have not been identified for years or decades, if ever. I am confident that BSL would have continued to abduct/rape/murder many more victims, if he had not been arrested on July 5, 2012.

Imo, the us against them attitude displayed by the Judge sealing all the investigative information should not be tolerated by the community.

Due to the awareness in the Mickey Shunick case, her valiant fight, LPD's media management decision to share the security camera pics of the DWTs, & at least two aware citizen's critical tips, BSL was apprehended, convicted, and sentenced to LWOP.

BSL went for his quarterly tier 3 RSO evaluation on 05/28/2012, only 9 days after her abduction, with stab wounds, mace rash/poison ivy, driving the Vehicle of interest/white truck, etc. Yet the clueless Officer gave BSL their seal of approval to continuing preying on innocent victims..

I am sure that you are aware that there is a Silent Epidemic of missing/murdered persons in the US; 100,000 missing/FBI NCIC.

The public is analogous to a security camera across the US; a very valuable resource & it's totally free. Silence by LE/Justice system is the predator/serial killer's most lethal weapon, only causes victim life loss & mounting cold cases...The close to the vest strategy is antiquated, and does more harm to victims and their familys. A day seems like a lifetime to the parents involuntarily inducted into the fraternity of the new life's normal..

Imo, the silence/sealing of info is only to protect the integrity of the Justice System, which allowed Serial Killer Brandon S. Lavergne, to prey on our Families, Friends, and loved ones for 13 years and possibly for decades..due to their close to the vest Silence strategy...

"They should be ashamed,imo"

The family's of BS Lavergne's unknown victims need to know the truth. Why would you not use all of your available resources to accomplish this goal?

Keith Stutes, the lead prosecutor in the Mickey Shunick case, confirmed to IND Monthly Tuesday that he is retiring after 28 years with the 15th Judicial District Attorney’s Office. His retirement comes less than a month after successfully negotiating the plea deal that sent Brandon Scott Lavergne to prison for the first-degree murders of Shunick in May of this year and Lisa Pate in 1999. Perhaps the most effectively orchestrated prosecution ever handled by the local DA’s office, Lavergne’s plea agreement was reached just 20 days after Stutes and his co-prosecutors secured an indictment for the two murders.
There have also been some firsts in Stutes’ career that involved very complex prosecutions: The 1998 conviction of Dr. Richard Schmidt for attempted second-degree murder was the first time in forensic history that viral DNA was used to prove a link between two people with HIV at trial in a criminal case. In 1994, Schmidt used a sample of blood taken from one of his AIDS-infected patients and injected it into his girlfriend. Observers say Stutes was brilliant in the courtroom; Schmidt is serving a 50-year sentence.

The Shunick case is another that was particularly wrenching, Stutes says. Before Lavergne was brought into the courtroom Aug. 17 to enter his guilty plea and explain how he killed the young UL student, the prosecutor went over to Shunick’s parents, who were seated in the front row. “They choked me up,” says Stutes, the father of two daughters and grandfather of three, one 5-year-old and two 2-year-olds. “This could have been anybody.”

http://www.theind.com/news/11251-after-28-years-ada-stutes-calls-it-quits

Attachments

• keith_stutes.jpg
    keith_stutes.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 5
ny625 ~

will be wet and lose power but hopefully stay safe !
My huge water oaks are what i worry about.
Thanx
I hope your power stays on and the trees don't sustain too much damage! I'm originally from Florida, but was up here during Hurricane Andrew. I have family and friends who lost almost everything during that hurricane. I remember a few strong hurricanes, but thankfully we never had to deal with anything like Katrina, and hopefully nothing like that EVER happens again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard