Brownsville, Tx: Police kill armed teenage student at Texas school.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/04/us-school-shooting-texas-idUSTRE8031I720120104

Police fatally shot an armed eighth-grade student at a middle school in Brownsville, Texas, on Wednesday morning after he pointed a gun at officers, police said.

The boy aimed at officers after they confronted him in a hallway, prompting officers to fire, Trevino said.

"The subject pointed the weapon at officers, which in turn, the officers had to use deadly force," Trevino said.

A school district official said the boy was armed with a rifle.

If a 15 year old brings a gun into my DD's school and refuses to drop it and points it at a cop, I hope and pray they TAKE HIM OUT too!

I hate the child had to die. But, his actions caused his death. Not LE's.

I pray for his family and all who had to live through this.

I am so thankful no innocent lives were taken.

JMO

Ashton Dominguez, 15, an eighth grader, said he knew the teen and that he played sports and was in the band. That morning, the student was involved in a fight and was taken, along with his opponent, to the principal's office, Dominguez said. Shortly afterward, he heard three shots coming from the hallway. The school immediately went on lockdown and five or 10 minutes later students heard police in the hallways, Dominguez said.
more here:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...police-kill-teen-at-middle-school-2440652.php

Oh My Gosh!

I saw this headline earlier today and for some reason didn't even look at it. I guess my mind was somewhere else.

I'm just now trying to stop from shaking. My grandsons are in Brownsville and one of them is in middle school! My son just got back to me and said it was a different school.

This is just a horrible situation for everyone involved.

:(

fran

The teen shot and killed by police at a Brownsville high school this morning has been identified as 15-year-old Jaime Gonzalez.

Officers shot Gonzalez at Cummings Middle School after he refused to drop a pistol he'd brought to the campus, interim Brownsville Police Chief Orlando Rodriguez said at a news conference this afternoon.

Gonzalez picked a fight this morning with another student randomly, Rodriguez said, and afterward brandished a gun. Police quickly responded to a 911 call from the school.

Two officers fired at Gonzalez and he was struck at least twice, Rodriguez said.
---
more here:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...police-kill-teen-at-middle-school-2440652.php

From Twitter:
AP The Associated Press
BREAKING: Police say Texas eighth-grader killed after ignoring order to drop weapon was holding a pellet gun
11 minutes ago

Rifle, pistol, pellet gun - don't matter.

A weapon is a weapon and most are hard to tell just what they are at any kind of distance.

LE did what they had to do. I agree - the poor officers that did shoot him will need counseling but they did what they are trained to do.

School shootings are scary and a lot of times innocents are killed. At least with this one - no one else was hurt.

JMHO

Just a quick note re: shoot to injure rather than kill.

Adrenalin is a powerful, powerful chemical. It can cause all sorts of nerve conduction issues, and most times, someone with a handgun will not necessarily be able to accurately aim for the legs, feet, hands or arms. It's far too risky to try to do that, and miss, especially with a school full of children (let alone teachers, administrators, and so on).

The largest area, and thus the easiest to hit, is the chest. LE is trained to aim for "center mass", because the chances of a disabling hit, or a fatal hit, is in the chest/abdomen.

I can't count how many times I've heard LE shooting at a person and missing...emptying the entire clip, and not once hitting the perp. Adrenalin, my friends...a powerful, potent, uncontrollable chemical response.

Further, if a suspect is permanently injured (or even not permanently) by an officer's bullet(s), they can be sued for a lot more than if they kill him. Sad to say, often an officer will be sued in any shooting, justified or not, and if the perp now can't make a living (no matter if he made a living before), officers get judgments against them and their departments that can be insanely stupidly excessive.

The primary reason, though, is not lawsuits...it's preserving the life of everyone else, and not the perp, that must take precedence in a shooting. Is there a real chance the perp can/will use the weapon? Will it endanger others (not LE)? And will it endanger LE? If the answers are yes, then it's a justifiable shooting, irrespective of the weapon the perp is holding/brandishing.

Everyone has the right to go home at the end of the day. That includes LE...and if they shot, there was a good reason for it. It would be nice to be able to have everything perfect all the time, and many times, endings are not fatal and no shooting occurs. But the threat was "imminent", potential for hostages (and increased loss of life), and potential death for LE and others makes this shooting a valid one.

What I am sad about is that somehow, a 15 year old thought it was an option (or maybe his only option) to bring a gun to school; fight with a student and show that gun; and then point/use the gun when officers arrived. There were numerous chances this could've been prevented, most occurring before today. Had the 15 year old at any point "stood down", the shooting would not have happened, and we'd be reading a different story.

My deepest condolences to everyone - everyone!! - involved, and I hope that the officer/s who shot this teen are able to continue with their lives in a good, wholesome fashion. It is not easy to do what they do...and this, being the worst case scenario, is something that will scar a cop for life. Not to mention the kids, the teachers, and of course this 15 year old's family.

I wish it had gone another way...but I am glad it wasn't more deadly and I'm thankful we're not reading about some kids being shot, held hostage, or other massacre-like event.

Best-
Herding Cats

I just heard about this and found out it was a pellet gun, omg you would think LE can recognize the difference when aiming their guns.

I haven't read back but right now I'm pissed.

I'm sad for all involved in this senseless shooting with a young life taken away.

I'll read back but right now, jezzzzzzz

Rifle, pistol, pellet gun - don't matter.

A weapon is a weapon and most are hard to tell just what they are at any kind of distance.

LE did what they had to do. I agree - the poor officers that did shoot him will need counseling but they did what they are trained to do.

School shootings are scary and a lot of times innocents are killed. At least with this one - no one else was hurt.

JMHO
bbm
Normally I agree with you, but not this time. The key word is trained

They should be trained to recognize the weapon this young trouble man was carrying.

bbm

They should be trained to recognize the weapon this young trouble man was carrying.

If you have a short time to make a decision it's not so easy to figure out if it's a pellet gun or not. It might be impossible to figure out from a distance anyway. Look at some photos of pellet guns and then do tell if you could figure out if they were pellet guns or handguns.

I just heard about this and found out it was a pellet gun, omg you would think LE can recognize the difference when aiming their guns.

I haven't read back but right now I'm pissed.

I'm sad for all involved in this senseless shooting with a young life taken away.

I'll read back but right now, jezzzzzzz

If you do a google search about air soft or pellet guns being mistaken by LE as real guns, you may feel different.

It's very common. The guns look very similar.

And, why didn't he DROP the gun when instructed to?

IMO LE did what they needed to do.

JMO

Those are some pretty big assumptions to make, regardless of where you have or have not worked.

Don't police in Texas have tasers? Shooting a 15 year old child 3 times in the chest is excessive. My opinion.

If you taser someone who has their finger on the trigger they are going to SHOOT WILDLY.

The cops and all of the school staff has Columbine on their minds. It is in their subconscious and it is a huge fear that they all carry with them. They are not going to use a taser on someone who has a deadly weapon in their hands because they know that the person with the weapon plans on using it, imo.

And yes, I am making an assumption. But it is also an educated guess. You do not get the chance to stay in the 8th grade at age 15 unless you are choosing to do so by being truant or being expelled a lot. If it was a matter of a learning disability the school would work with the student and move them on by using a specially designed learning program. They would not force a child to stay in 8th grade for 2 years because of a LD.

And none of the students would dare bully a 15 yr old. They might snicker behind his back. But a 15 yr old is much stronger, scarier than any of the 13 yr olds around them.

Officers shot Gonzalez at Cummings Middle School after he refused to drop the gun he'd brought to the campus, interim Brownsville Police Chief Orlando Rodriguez said at the news conference.

The pellet gun Gonzalez was carrying looked like a dangerous firearm, said detective Jose Treviño, a police spokesman.

“It has the exact appearance of Glock,” Treviño said.

Gonzalez picked a fight this morning with another student randomly, Rodriguez said, and afterward brandished a pistol.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...en-at-middle-school-2440652.php#ixzz1iXNzvaDw

bbm

You cannot tell the difference. They are designed to look exactly the same. And this student KNEW that. He wanted it to look real, imo. He knew what was going to happen. He forced the cops to shoot him.

I've now heard hand gun, rifle, air rifle, and pellet gun . . . all by MSM

His actions caused his death.

Nobody's fault but his own.

You can't bring a gun to school (real or pellet), wave it around I'm the hall, ignore LE's commands to drop it, and expect detention.

This kid knew what he was doing IMO.

It's sad he had to die, but IMO LE did what they had to do to defuse the situation for everyone's safety.

Imo, it was a suicide by cop. This kid knew what was going to happen if he took a 'Glock' to school and waved it around threateningly. And he ruined his life, his family's life,and the cops that shot him as well.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back