CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abuse by teachers within schools is not on the rise. Abuse within homeschooling families is also not on the rise. As I said. But homeschooling in general IS on the rise and fringe people are attracted to it.

The question is how do we protect kids within those families? Kids in public schools have multiple safety nets. Homeschooling kids do not.

I was just reading a study last month about abuse (not just sexual) from teachers being on the rise. I will try to go find that later tonight. (Not that it's relevant to this family.) People who actually homeschool have plenty of safety nets. They take their children to the doctor, dentist, their children attend classes and lessons, they are in sports, they have well developed social circles, etc.

The problem is the people who aren't actually homeschooling. They are abusing their children and isolating them under the guise of schooling. I honestly do not know how to protect and find those children. People who inflict these abuses on kids are going to hide them from society in any way they can. The fringe folks are hide to keep track of, period. It helps for neighbors and family members being aware. I would suggest that there were opportunities to protect these children. Family members cutting off ties to their children is a huge red flag.

Abuse by teachers within schools is not on the rise. Abuse within homeschooling families is also not on the rise. As I said. But homeschooling in general IS on the rise and fringe people are attracted to it.

The question is how do we protect kids within those families? Kids in public schools have multiple safety nets. Homeschooling kids do not.

I like the idea of annual testing but maybe the testing could be modified to include group settings and group testing. Something along the lines where the group would have to work together towards a common goal to accomplish a task.

Would allow the administration of the tests to monitor to see how the kids behave with each other and associate with each other.

I know that sounds good on paper but the administration of something like that would be very complex. And how could there ever be grading for something like that.

Even if public school kids had to go through that then all it would take is someone having a bad day and they could score poorly when it really is nothing to be alarmed about. Not to mention personality differences where some kids may naturally not get along with some other kids.

This is a tough one. I do agree more needs to be done though. Just not sure where to begin or how we could go about it.

Somewhere in the first pages here, I’m sure I read that this family lived on a farm before moving to California. For some reason, I shivered involuntarily. Maybe an overactive imagination. Can’t find it right now.

It’s in the bankruptcy files. Their farm was foreclosed on.

The children, especially the boys look very thin and emaciated. The baby the mom is holding doesn't look healthy either, with thin forearms. The little girl wearing boots standing in front of the boys is very thin with a distended stomach, another sign of being malnourished. The little girl dressed in black on the far right has very skinny arms. I notice this family and the Turpins have a tendency to dress their kids in bulky, baggy clothing which hides their thin bodies.

http://rodriguesfamilyministries.com...te-cover-1.jpg

I see no distended bellies. Many families like the Rodrigues' are proponents of modest dress, which is what I observe in the photo. Are you avidly trying to find fault with this family? Perhaps look at other social media that easily dispute your observations.

Northrop Grumman moving headquarters from L.A. to Washington, D.C., area
January 05, 2010

In a blow to Southern California, Northrop Grumman Corp. said it would relocate its headquarters from Los Angeles leaving the region that gave birth to the aerospace industry without a single major military contractor based here.

The company said it would move its corporate staff to the Washington, D.C., area by summer 2011 to be closer to its key customer, the U.S. government.

Northrop's announcement was seen as a bitter pill for the much-battered regional economy, which has suffered a series of high-profile corporate defections in recent years.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jan/05/business/la-fi-northrop5-2010jan05

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you! So she was saying he was working at a place in 2011 that the company says he left in 2010

And doesn’t that appear to be grandparents in that picture?

So, many questions.

One girl was driving a car? Where did she go?

Did the parents think these kids would stay with them forever? What were the expectations of the parents? How many kids would the parents eventually have if this had not happened?

Did the kids watch TV, see movies, listen to music, or play video games? Did they understand what was happening in the world around them?

How much food did they get daily? Was the family getting welfare? How could they afford to have a yearly Disneyland pass? (The cost of a Disneyland pass is from $619 to $1049 per person!!!)

And, the most important question, why were they chained?

The children, especially the boys look very thin and emaciated. The baby the mom is holding doesn't look healthy either, with thin forearms. The little girl wearing boots standing in front of the boys is very thin with a distended stomach, another sign of being malnourished. The little girl dressed in black on the far right has very skinny arms. I notice this family and the Turpins have a tendency to dress their kids in bulky, baggy clothing which hides their thin bodies.

http://rodriguesfamilyministries.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/cropped-Website-cover-1.jpg
SABBM

:sick:

Like the case of the unnamed boy.. the little blond guy who was starved by his stepmom ? The one with all of the dogs for sale photos ?
:moo:

I wonder if all the children were in on the escape?
What was the breaking point for the 17 year old?
The fear involved. How 2 people can control 13 children like this, a few in shackles, just is blowing my mind. What other abuses were they subjected to?

I like the idea of annual testing but maybe the testing could be modified to include group settings and group testing. Something along the lines where the group would have to work together towards a common goal to accomplish a task.

Would allow the administration of the tests to monitor to see how the kids behave with each other and associate with each other.

I know that sounds good on paper but the administration of something like that would be very complex. And how could there ever be grading for something like that.

Even if public school kids had to go through that then all it would take is someone having a bad day and they could score poorly when it really is nothing to be alarmed about. Not to mention personality differences where some kids may naturally not get along with some other kids.

This is a tough one. I do agree more needs to be done though. Just not sure where to begin or how we could go about it.

I know a family that travels all over the US so the husband can find work (not a desk job). They home school two kids through the State of Montana, yet haven't been there in ages. They have a PO address. Sure, deflates the idea of monitoring, except through testing.

James and Betty Turpin, who live in West Virginia, said David and Louise had so many children because "God called on them."

They were given "very strict homeschooling," and would memorize long passages in the Bible, the grandparents said. Some children tried to memorize it in its entirety.

While David and Louise were in the Pentecostal faith, they did not have a church in the area and David's parents knew of no friends that the couple had.
http://abc7.com/grandparents-say-god-called-on-perris-couple-to-have-so-many-children/2950254/

JMO
I dont need to hear anything from the grandparents since they have not even seen or spoken to any of the grandchildren in years.

"The couple, who live in West Virginia, said they had not visited the family for four or five years but had spoken to them on the phone, although not with their grandchildren."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5272703/Police-13-siblings-chained-California-home.html

Thank you! So she was saying he was working at a place in 2011 that the company says he left in 2010

I missed where the company said left in 2010, can you link?

I just checked it out. You're right. The boys in the photo on the main page look emaciated. I hope someone visits their home to make sure the kids are ok.

O/T Oh my. These kids look more emaciated than the ones in this case! Their facial structure is showing in a couple photos. Dad seems to be eating. j.s.

I missed where the company said left in 2010, can you link?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...after-rescue-from-horrific-home-idUSKBN1F519Y

In 2010, David Turpin left his job at Lockheed Martin Corp , a company spokeswoman said. He also worked as an engineer at Northrop Grumman Corp . Both are aeronautics and defense companies

ETA:
he probably left his job at Northrop in 2010, when the company moved. See osu’s post
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...ts-Perris-15-Jan-2018&p=13869760#post13869760

I was just reading a study last month about abuse (not just sexual) from teachers being on the rise. I will try to go find that later tonight. (Not that it's relevant to this family.) People who actually homeschool have plenty of safety nets. They take their children to the doctor, dentist, their children attend classes and lessons, they are in sports, they have well developed social circles, etc.

The problem is the people who aren't actually homeschooling. They are abusing their children and isolating them under the guise of schooling. I honestly do not know how to protect and find those children. People who inflict these abuses on kids are going to hide them from society in any way they can. The fringe folks are hide to keep track of, period. It helps for neighbors and family members being aware. I would suggest that there were opportunities to protect these children. Family members cutting off ties to their children is a huge red flag.

THIS. 95+% of homeschool parents are committed to the best interests of their child.

How can we identify those who use the guise of homeschooling to isolate and potentially abuse their children -- and so so without penalizing or being ovely onerous to the vast majority of good actors?

All said though, from the ultra religious standpoint the Elvis stuff, normal-ish clothing, mom’s strapless wedding dresses, all the DVDs, Vegas trips, etc. would be odd and generally not tolerated by most of the more “mainstream” evangelical Christian groups. Several Christian groups also have a problem with Disney in general and have boycotted the brand en masse in the past.

Yeah but as someone else said, usually what the father allows is allowed, even if it varies form the typical dictates. But you're so right. I have heard many times about how Disney is of the devil.

I note that the Duggars (they're IFB, not Pentecostal, but do not believe in music with a significant beat or dancing), have gone to Disneyland with their kids. So I think it depends.

There is another, odd, religious mega-family that has something like 12 sons and the youngest is a daughter. Very religious, homeschooled, home businesses. The boys are now in their 30's and still at home. They have some sort of bridal photography thing they do, ironically. pretty good at it too.

They tend to wear the fundamentalist mega-family uniform of button up, cotton short sleeve shirts and khakis.

But the mom wears short hair, shorts and sleevleess tops at times!

Very weird. The adults sons serenade "Mommy and Daddy" in their bedroom on their birthdays. So odd.
LE is bound by the necessity of warrants but CPS /DCFS can remove kids while investigating. If they had been called for a check, done so and learned the ages of the kids this could have been stopped. Had they been aware there were no less than 13 neglected and malnourished children and a surprise home visit called for by anyone, this would have stopped years ago.

This is untrue. CPS cannot detain children without probable cause that abuse or neglect is occurring. Thinness is not enough.

This is one of those very tragic folie à deux -- of the highest order. Textbook. IMO.
Read this article -- the shoe seems to fit, IMO.

It doesn't matter just now, but it could be used as a defense -- IF the couple would permit a defense having to do with a mental disorder. Worrying in advance -- one of my pesky faults.

Background and Criteria

Shared psychotic disorder, or folie à deux, is a rare delusional disorder shared by 2 or, occasionally, more people with close emotional ties.
In the most recent update to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5), shared psychotic disorder was removed as a separate disease entity and was included in the section on other specified schizophrenic spectrum and other psychotic disorders. In the updated version the entity exists as “delusional symptoms in partner of individual with delusional disorder.”[SUP] [2] [/SUP] According to the DSM-5, in the context of a relationship, the delusional material from the dominant partner provides content for delusional belief by the individual who may not otherwise entirely meet criteria for delusional disorder.

https://emedicine.medscape.com/arti...0qRbbosBRRs/I6zrfTYn788fkq9g2DPn5sb65MIOIqA4=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther