CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for link, Pamela_brewer

“When the brain is starved of proteins and other building blocks, brain development is going to be impacted,” Dr. Richard Pan, a pediatrician who is a Democratic state senator from the Sacramento area, said.

The brain can be smaller than normal, and if typical developmental milestones are missed due to starvation, they cannot readily be made up later, he said.

As the body struggles to protect the heart and brain, it essentially consumes other organs and even bones, said Dr. Dean Blumberg, associate professor of pediatrics at the University of California, Davis Children’s Hospital in Sacramento.

Growth is stunted and long-term anemia and other nutritional deficiencies can lead to a drop in IQ as well, he said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...od-to-control-starving-children-idUSKBN1F8290

If the family went on these outings, then they may have had someone assisting with the logistics. How does a family of 15 travel? Did their vehicle accommodate such a group?

They have three vehicles, one of which is a large van. You can see them in the driveway in some of the pictures.

We need to be very careful to protect the identity of any minor children who are victims of crimes. I do understand they are all over the news and it's hard to not know who is who. With the charges individually naming the children on each count, please keep in mind we do not add insult to injury on WS by repeating the names of child victims. Protect her!!! :tos:

He is absolutely disgusting

I used to work at westinghouse, now northrup gruman (md) worked with lots of engineers, electrical, r&d, there were some that were strange/weird/unclean, but never anyone that looked like that.

So that's what I think everyone is talking about here - that we need to have common sense regulations (that may already be working in other states) become widespread.

I honestly haven't seen a single anti homeschooling post in here. I just see a lot of defensiveness from some homeschoolers. Many homeschoolers have, however, not taken offense to those of us calling for more oversight, and are calling for it with us.

In light of this situation, I don't see how anyone wouldn't see the need for it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Someone posted about the Stanley family from Arkansas upthread. They're a homeschooling family who didn't follow homeschool law and flew under the radar. They were caught by CPS, IIRC, because their son reported them. Regulations didn't help them. They simply didn't follow them.

I am not saying there shouldn't be oversight. I am simply saying that I don't think oversight will help these extreme cases. I think monsters like these will just not present themselves as homeschoolers to the state. They'll go "off the grid." MOO

I wonder about that 2 year timeline. Not sure what all might have gone into such a plan. My guess is that they had been talking about it for that period of time, but it took that long to find the courage to actually follow through.

Maybe the courage to bolt came after the "leud act".

How old is the baby? I saw someone post that one of the girls looked pregnant in the last vow renewal video?

The baby was in the pictures of the last vow renewal (2015). Someone mentioned that the mother looked pregnant in one of the earlier group pictures, but I don't recall anyone ever saying that about any of the girls.

Someone posted about the Stanley family from Arkansas upthread. They're a homeschooling family who didn't follow homeschool law and flew under the radar. They were caught by CPS, IIRC, because their son reported them. Regulations didn't help them. They simply didn't follow them.
Laws don't always work, but it doesn't mean they won't always work.

The shots I saw were much more close where you could see the bumpy pores, maybe it was the lighting or angle but
they were distinct. Thanks you OSU for trying,

YW! I’ll look around and see if I can find any more of the close-ups shots from yesterday’s hearing. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all due respect to this expert, I don't think they had friends or a church group.

I do agree that she is likely to blame him, and he will say the reports of abuse are exaggerated.

jmopinion

Agree--the grandparents have been quoted as saying that, while raised Pentecostal, to their knowledge the Turpins had no church affiliation when they visited them in Murietta, California that week in 2012. We've also heard from no one in Texas or California that has known them from church. (Regular church attendance and fellowship would be expected if the Pentecostal faith was considered a strong driving influence in this family. But it would appear that avoiding relationships and discovery was the far greater motivator, here.) Last but not least, in the presser it was stated that they do not see this as having a religious tie-in or basis (despite the fact the kids told them they memorized many Bible passages).

So, JMO, but I think, at this stage, to try to blame this on Pentecostalism would be in error. Every church group has its stories, and the fringe groups perhaps have their fair share of extreme stories. But I think I'm going to go with what the DA and others in the know have said in regards to this case, deferring to their specific inside knowledge and appraisals.

JMO, MOHO

Laws don't always work, but it doesn't mean they won't always work.

True. I get that. I edited about to say this: "I am not saying there shouldn't be oversight. I am simply saying that I don't think oversight will help these extreme cases. I think monsters like these will just not present themselves as homeschoolers to the state. They'll go "off the grid." MOO"

I just think these people were so depraved that they would not have willingly signed up for more oversight from the state. Remember the neighbor girl who couldn't go past the kitchen.

I mentioned this back on the first thread but I don’t think anyone picked up on it. In the longest elvis vow renewal video, if you watch at about 38.25 does it look like DT hurts LT after she puts her hand up to his shoulder? I couldn’t see it on my phone but I was looking on the desktop pc and you see him move her hand and her face definitely changes.
I know it doesn’t make a difference to the case but just wondering if others see it too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am still stuck on figuring out timelines. As I was trying to match up places & dates & how old kids were, I realized the kids' ages the monsters listed on their bankruptcy application in August 2011 can't be right, unless I'm missing something?

For instance, they said that their eldest child (daughter) was 19. Again, that was in 2011. If she was 19 then, she would only be 26 now, not 29. Huh?

If she really is 29 now, then they lied about the ages of all their kids. If they didn't lie, and she really was 19 in 2011, that would mean they were married for 7 years before they had their first child. Eh?

(Their 30 year anniversary was in 2015, which means they married in 1985).

I know a family that chose to home school their 6 kids. You could not ask to meet nicer, more polite and well spoken young people. They are very smart and advanced in behavior and intellect.

Not only have they learned all the "school" subjects, they know how to care for animals, large and small, how to repair things, how to hunt and fish and prepare their catches/kills for food. They all know how to cook and clean, sew, mend, knit, do laundry, iron, bake, change a tire, change the car oil and filters, do mechanical repairs, etc. ALL of them.

They know how to play and excel in sports.

I have no doubt that if the parents died, these kids could manage to take care of themselves without assistance from anyone. This is how the parents chose to prepare them for life.

They do not have television except to watch DVD's. They have no computers, cell phones or Ipads. They have books, ATV's, Ski-doos, bicycles and horses. They have boats and a big camper, they travel a lot, learning about other areas of the country. The family grows their own vegetables; raise chickens for eggs; and cows and goats for milk, butter, cheese. The children have been taught martial arts, self-defense and yoga.

The father earns about $500K per year. None of this is because they can not afford all the 'things' of life. They choose to show their children a different life where one has to work for results.

The children are healthy and strong; physically,mentally and spiritually. They are compassionate, and express love in all that they do. They are gentle people. Kind and confident. The children have a moral compass and know right from wrong, good from bad.

The children have friends, the parents have friends, they all have a social life. Of course, the parents monitor the people and activities to which/whom their children will be exposed. All of these kids will be great adults. Six out of six!

Yes, they were 'shut off' from the outside world in many ways, but, as their parents say "when they are adults, they can make all their own decisions but for now, it is up to us to prepare them to make good ones".

I can tell you these parents did a phenomenal job. They didn't take the easy way out and have completely and selflessly devoted themselves to raising the children they brought into this world.

So, homeschooling is very often a great thing. This family is an example of how to do it and do it well.

Thanks for link, Pamela_brewer

“When the brain is starved of proteins and other building blocks, brain development is going to be impacted,” Dr. Richard Pan, a pediatrician who is a Democratic state senator from the Sacramento area, said.

The brain can be smaller than normal, and if typical developmental milestones are missed due to starvation, they cannot readily be made up later, he said.

As the body struggles to protect the heart and brain, it essentially consumes other organs and even bones, said Dr. Dean Blumberg, associate professor of pediatrics at the University of California, Davis Children’s Hospital in Sacramento.

Growth is stunted and long-term anemia and other nutritional deficiencies can lead to a drop in IQ as well, he said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...od-to-control-starving-children-idUSKBN1F8290

UC Davis is the school which has done much research on the long term effects of starvation on human AND animals.
They developed the protocol for renourishment for humans and animals to prevent Re-Feeding Syndrome which can
kill the human or animal. This protocol is used by Animal Rescue groups worldwide.

I suspect there will be more lewd charges. I either read somewhere or heard in the press conference that they haven't fully interviewed the offspring yet because they were protecting their mental health while they're getting their physical health taken care of. MOO

So that's what I think everyone is talking about here - that we need to have common sense regulations (that may already be working in other states) become widespread.

I honestly haven't seen a single anti homeschooling post in here. I just see a lot of defensiveness from some homeschoolers. Many homeschoolers have, however, not taken offense to those of us calling for more oversight, and are calling for it with us.

In light of this situation, I don't see how anyone wouldn't see the need for it.

I don’t think any homeschool parent who is doing what they should be doing would have any issues with oversight and accountability across the board. I don’t. For most of us, it is already there. I don’t think some people realize that in many states there are requirements that must be met. There is the ‘fad’ of unschooling, but I am not very knowledgeable about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopy70