CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking... I know I've been a bear (tee hee) the past few days and it seems like we're all extra edgy (general all not literally all of us). This case has been harrowing just to read about... nightmare inducing and like... constantly in the backs of our minds. It's interesting to see how this sort of thing impacts society.

Please nobody take this wrong and freak out on me (you think you're upset what about the victims etc. I'm not discounting anyone's feelings exactly the opposite). Ugh I'm cranky

I understand and agree. It’s a terrible tragedy for so many reasons. It is hitting people in the feels for different reasons. I think the majority of us are so saddened that this type of abuse could go on in our own backyards. My husband isn’t really an emotional guy (his mom actually used to beat the everloving crap out of them for the littlest things, and never showed them any affection) but the first day we heard about this, he came home and expressed a lot of feelings about what he wished would happen to LT and DT. We are only human and can’t help but feel for these victims.

OT - I'm a well-educated woman in her 40s who was never sheltered and who cusses a lot, but I am still so naive and not with the times that as much as I have seen the whiskey tango foxtrot thing, I only figured it out yesterday in this thread!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I've never seen it before now but since I have a radio license, I get it.

I wondering if the eldest son was Mommys favorite and got special treatment.

i wonder what he was majoring in..what was his goal with college? Why would they let him leave home to do this?

how did he get accepted..don't you have to have a ged or diploma to enroll in even community college classes?

How were they paying for these classes? Loans..scholarship..out of pocket?

Its been sad the dad was super intelligent in school and was an engineer. Wouldn't surprise me if more or all of these kids are bright and smart.

i truly believe they're all capable of learning and growing and have bright futures ahead!

hope someone gives this kid a scholarship or something and helps him get a great degree.

i find the guitar classes he took interesting..he got a good grade..did they buy him a guitar at home? Did they let him take guitar to play Elvis?

i bet his public speaking class was tough for him. I'm shy and introverted and it was pure hell for me lol

I'm reading, researching & posting using my phone, and have no idea how to cut & paste links, or if that's even possible. I'll try firing up my long abandoned laptop tomorrow & will post your link in the media thread tomorrow if I'm able.

Meanwhile, I'm really grateful you've posted it again so I know where it find it. :)

I don't know what kind of phone you have, but on mine (iPhone), I just hold my finger on the link in the address bar until a box comes up that says Copy. Then I go into the reply box on here, and tap until 4 options come up: Select, Select All, Paste, and Lookup. I click Paste and the link will show up :)

Everyone MUST MUST MUST eliminate all pre-conceived notions of what an abuser may look like. MUST
my mother was the abuser in my family. brutally abused us. she is a 'short' woman and was absolutely beautiful. huge smile and elizabeth taylor eyes. model material back in the day. everyone who met her loved her. everyone.

when i was in elementary school, i walked inside the house from playing outside and i caught my mother with my baby brother with his back bent over her knee and she was strangling him. i yelled at her to STOP. i remember that moment in absolute clarity to this day.

she had two diff personalities. the 'at home' personality and the 'outside the home' personality. thats just one thing that bothers me is when people say 'but s/he didnt look like he could do that.

for those saying DT looked wimpy. in all the 'marketing' photos/videos, he absolutely does. looks like a boyish disney type character. that is not who he really is, IMO. this face....I see evil. IMOView attachment 129140View attachment 129141

Agreed!! I posted a link to an article earlier about women who commit violent crimes. Was pretty interesting and talked a lot about the preconceived notions. I'll see if I can scrounge it up again and if so send it to you if you're interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People get married in Vegas. Sometimes an Elvis impersonator officiates. Who cares? In this case, the Elvis impersonator was probably the first person to show the victims a good time in years. I don’t get why people think this is so funny or that the officiator is so mockable.

Could be it was a fun trip not a real renewal. Their anniversary is Feb 11.
definitely didn’t want people to think that I saw something and didn’t say something,” says Ripley, who first performed a marriage renewal ceremony for the couple on Oct. 29, 2011, to mark their 26th anniversary, according to video of the event shared by A Elvis Chapel.

Then ...
But during conversation, Ripley says the parents proudly mentioned the large brood of kids that Louise home-schooled. And when the couple returned to the same chapel for another vow renewal on Sept. 2, 2013 – and yet again on Oct. 31, 2015 – their children joined them.

What was with fall time dates? Were they a vacation?

They did have friends because some made comments. And haven't heard anything from the first neighborhood they lived. Can't blame anyone, for many reasons.

Agreed!! I posted a link to an article earlier about women who commit violent crimes. Was pretty interesting and talked a lot about the preconceived notions. I'll see if I can scrounge it up again and if so send it to you if you're interested

I totally agree. I see nothing but pure evil when I see these people. Just imagine either of these two angry, in a rage and coming after you our your siblings. It's not a far stretch. I can see it.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I totally agree. I see nothing but pure evil when I see these people. Just imagine either of these two angry, in a rage and coming after you our your siblings. It's not a far stretch. I can see it.

A scary thought. And I know there have been other violent women criminals but ever since Jodi Arias I believe anything is possible when you're angry enough.
Here's the article I mentioned. https://www.google.com/amp/www.inde...n-do-kill-abuse-and-torture-a7056136.html?amp

I wondering if the eldest son was Mommys favorite and got special treatment.

how did he get accepted..don't you have to have a ged or diploma to enroll in even community college classes?
l

He could have gotten in with a home school diploma. I was homeschooled throughout high school and I didn't have any trouble getting accepted into 3 major universities. I wound up attending what was, at that time, the #1 liberal arts school in the south. Instead of a high school diploma from a "regular" school, we took in one from home. We also showed my report cards and various other documents that traced my grades and stuff throughout school. This is one of the reasons why records are so important for homeschoolers. However, I also took the ACTs. He most likely needed to as well because even community colleges are starting to ask for them more and more.

If only....
No, we do not get any type of tax write off.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thecon...a-pays-me-to-customize-my-kids-education/amp/

Maybe not a tax write off but it sounds like California offer a generous benefit. And if he had it set up like a business, maybe like private tutoring perhaps he could write off what he "paid" his adult children.

"The state of California offers me, a homeschooling parent, $2600/year in educational funds for each of my kids."

He could have gotten in with a home school diploma. I was homeschooled throughout high school and I didn't have any trouble getting accepted into 3 major universities. I wound up attending what was, at that time, the #1 liberal arts school in the south. Instead of a high school diploma from a "regular" school, we took in one from home. We also showed my report cards and various other documents that traced my grades and stuff throughout school. This is one of the reasons why records are so important for homeschoolers. However, I also took the ACTs. He most likely needed to as well because even community colleges are starting to ask for them more and more.

so you think they actually taught the kids at home?

Just a quick interjection here.. I am guessing that the well on their property was a gas well, and not an oil well (just a guess); the difference in $ is great. (I am a 1/6 royalty, 16% roughly..)(in Michigan)

Also, if the property and home was foreclosed on, I'm wondering how the Turpins would have retained mineral rights? (They could have deeded the minerals out before foreclosure..perhaps in to the name of one of the older offspring.)

Third (and this might not be relevant), I think Quicksilver filed bankruptcy? Their buyers must have picked up the leases in the area.

After participating in a lease of my property since early 2000's, I can say that here, in Michigan, my monthly royalty has gone down every year. On a ninety acre parcel, the royalty pays for a nice dinner out now. Of course, everything is bigger in Texas, right?

All just my opinion. (My SO has worked in gas and oil for thirty years..)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, two Barnett Shale gas wells.

You can see the well pad (the big white rectangle) which is the surface location and the lines radiating to the east are the directional (horizontal) drill paths. The bottom hole well location is shown by the symbols at the end of the lines. Well 1H is currently producing about 6-7K million cubic feet (MCF) a month. Well 2H used to produce that in 2010-2012, but is down to about 200 MCF a month now. I am in groundwater resources, not O&G. Its trickier to meter/ estimate those pumped water volumes for frac and rig supply but we are getting there.

DT Quicksilver Barnett.JPG
http://wwwgisp.rrc.texas.gov/GISViewer2/

The first video I watched, a week ago, and the second , and the third, I thought the very same thing. I was almost embarrassed by how bad he was. And then, as I have viewed them a number of times now, the story got worse and worse. Part of me criticized and laughed at his performance, likening it to a Saturday Night Live skit from so many years ago. But as the story gets worse, his performance GETS BETTER! When I view the video now, even a snippet of it, all I can see is how kind and nice he was to those kids. All of them. You, and you, and you,and you, and you... He got a smile out of each child. All of them, at one time or another. When he apologized to the little boy for messing up his name, my heart nearly broke at the child's response.."that's okay!"

Elvis was a gentle spirit to those thirteen miracle people. His extreme overacting got a lot of laughs from them! (From me too!)

My opinion. He can hold his head up on this one.

Thank you for this post. I'm a huge Elvis fan so, yes, I was cringing at his performance. However...he had every one of those kids smiling, laughing, and even moving (if not downright dancing) at a time when they were being abused and neglected. That might have been one of the best times of their lives (well, however many times they were there). Rock on, Elvis dude.

I've updated the timeline compilation I posted in the Media and Timeline thread to include the wedding chapel vow renewal dates and the timing of eldest son's college courses based on the transcript visible in the ABC News clip (links are included in the timeline as much as possible).

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...r-Turpin-Child-Abuse-Case-NO-DISCUSSION/page2

I won't be able to update that timeline for the next week or so but will try to update after that with verifiable MSM or public records links / court official statements. I'm concerned that with a case like this, we may start to see some of the "looser" MSM sources start quoting each other and inadvertently create circular references by taking each other's word as gospel versus independent fact-checking.

The first video I watched, a week ago, and the second , and the third, I thought the very same thing. I was almost embarrassed by how bad he was. And then, as I have viewed them a number of times now, the story got worse and worse. Part of me criticized and laughed at his performance, likening it to a Saturday Night Live skit from so many years ago. But as the story gets worse, his performance GETS BETTER! When I view the video now, even a snippet of it, all I can see is how kind and nice he was to those kids. All of them. You, and you, and you,and you, and you... He got a smile out of each child. All of them, at one time or another. When he apologized to the little boy for messing up his name, my heart nearly broke at the child's response.."that's okay!"

Elvis was a gentle spirit to those thirteen miracle people. His extreme overacting got a lot of laughs from them! (From me too!)

My opinion. He can hold his head up on this one.

I agree. He might be the only person who encountered these kids before the rescue who can hold his head up and say "I did the best I could, based on what I knew."

:laughing: Renewal plan

HOME PACKAGES
EXTRAS RESERVATIONS LIVE WEB CAM
MORE
702-383-5909
Renewals
Wedding chapels in las vegas
RENEWAL OF VOWS WITH "ELVIS"
It is quite the tradition here in Las Vegas to get an “Elvis” Tribute Artist to participate in a Wedding, either as a singer or as the one in charge of the service.

Officially married or not, there is no reason for couples to miss out on this experience.

We would love to help you here at "A Elvis Chapel", get set up to participate in a Renewal of Vows, Anniversary Celebration or a “Just for Fun” service with “Elvis”.
Many couples Renew Vows while on their honeymoon.
Many couples want a “fun” service…unlike their stressful original wedding.
Some have made it through a difficult time and wish to celebrate.
Many others Renew Vows for their 1st, 5th 10th, 25th, 40th or 50th Anniversary and any time in between.

There is no legal aspect to any of this. No licenses or permissions are necessary.
Couples come from every Country (We’ve had people from over 50 countries just this year.)
and from every State and don’t even have to show proof of marriage to participate.

We give “Renewal” Certificates to everyone who wants one.

EVERY PACKAGE CAN BE USED FOR A RENEWAL OF VOWS SERVICE: Here is one of the most popular ones:
Elvis "Hound Dog" Package - $275 (plus tax, and tips)
"Elvis" will Sing 3 Songs.
3 rose bouquet for the bride (fresh roses)
"Elvis" will walk the bride down the aisle. (If you wish)
"Elvis" will be in charge of the service.
Special "Elvis Vows" will be included.
A copy of Elvis and Priscilla's Marriage Certificate
Video of the Ceremony.
20 high resolution digital Photos taken during the ceremony.
Live Web Cam - (by request - no additional charge)
Limousine for 6 people. (from and to your hotel) Additional guests can be transported in additional limos. Ask us for details.
Important Additional Information
Custom Bouquets
Photo Options
Have the video posted on line (at YouTube) for later viewing - only $30.00
We will provide envelopes for the limo driver, the "Elvis", and the photographer.
In addition, there are customary gratuities for the limo driver, the photographer, and the "Elvis"($40 each).
We accept all major credit cards and PayPal.
8.265% Nevada Sales Tax will be added to all package totals.

I wonder if they took advantage of the extra limo option.

I've followed this story here, every post, every thread. I don't talk much; I made an account after lurking so I could see photos, etc., not exactly to talk. But like many of you, this case has yanked me out into the conversation. So many questions. Few things, if I may.

The journals - not only would it give the Monsters yet another way to dominate/torture the children, it is also a very QUIET activity. Neighbors have said the T house was quiet, despite the number of children - I get the feeling that LT and/or DT did not like hearing any noise that they did not want to hear. I'd guess the old babies who were discarded as soon as the next baby was born learned not to cry anymore very quickly.

About Survivor #1. She is also every bit as much of a hero in my book as Survivor #8. She was the one child who went to a regular school, had neighbor playmates (briefly), I believe she was the one who tried to run away and was returned - she knew better than anyone else EXACTLY what she was missing out on as she lay chained to her bed, hogtied, in her own waste. And 29 years old. At least 2 decades of horrific abuse. I cannot imagine how she must have despaired. My heart aches so hard for Survivor #1.

The Survivors sound closely bonded to each other. They learned to love and nurture each other, and they didn't learn that from Monster woman. In addition to being eldest, Survivor #1 was the one would have seen how that works the most. I tend to think she may have been a mother figure to the siblings, perhaps a sister-mom who showed them the actual love and nurturing they weren't getting from Monster woman, perhaps also an actual education. I think her very poor health was a major catalyst in deciding now was the time to try to escape. I have no doubt she encouraged #8 to make a break, whether vocally or just by being in the state she was. They had to know that #1 was dying. How could they lose one who would mean so much to all of them?

So much love for you, Survivor #1. So very much. It hurts how much.

What I can't figure out is what LT and DT's end game was. If #1 had died, I suspect they would have hid her body and claimed she'd run off, didn't know where she was...and then use her death to threaten the other survivors. IMO. But what did they think they were going to do with this situation? Just continue it and see where it went? Gave it no consideration whatsoever? They could never just let their children go.

When they left Texas, they left behind dogs and cats to starve in the house. When the neighbor child, Ashley, opened the door two dogs ran out. Ashley said the dumpster 'smelled of death.' She found a live kitten in the dumpster and kept it. She also reported hearing whimpering coming from that dumpster.

After reading the above, I've wondered if that was the Turpin's end game..............tie/chain the children to their beds and walk out the door. :cry:

She also is the one who had a taste of the real world, school through 3rd grade or so, a neighborhood friend for awhile, being able to walk outside, etc. Her spirit could be crushed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
And her ribs broken. We don't know all the details of her condition yet. [emoji26]

Yes, LT's relationship with her sister focused not only in preventing her sister from learning of her long-term abuse of her
children, but I think LT also probably took great pleasure in screwing around with sis, portraying her own life as superior to her sister's. Perhaps, even hoping that she could elicit feelings of jealously from her sister and revelling in it all.

I would even venture that it provided LT with great satisfaction!

BBM
Agree!

Iirc one of the sisters talked with LT about her family having financial difficulties, and LT said they, (LT and her family), had never known such difficulties. She basically "lied", on FB, w/her happy family photo shoots, too. I'm really leery, of taking anything LT told her siblings, as the Gospel.

When they left Texas, they left behind dogs and cats to starve in the house. When the neighbor child, Ashley, opened the door two dogs ran out. Ashley said the dumpster 'smelled of death.' She found a live kitten in the dumpster and kept it. She also reported hearing whimpering coming from that dumpster.

After reading the above, I've wondered if that was the Turpin's end game..............tie/chain the children to their beds and walk out the door. :cry:

Yes I wonder just exactly what their approaching move would entail...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brightshelby