CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully snipped by me for focus on a looming question in these threads (MOO)

Or the timeline given by the VI sister is incorrect.

Exactly, she even said she wasn't sure if she recalled correctly in that same email...

...he has a history of selling scams.

...his response to barbara's disappearance is fairly revealing...

...hopefully can dig in a bit harder in the coming days. thank you all again for keeping the chat alive.

Thank you. I was going to ask follow up questions, but I dont think that will help to find Barbara.

I believe clarification of this question might help to find Barbara.

@dbdb11 Would it be possible for you to clarify or have you already clarified whether your sister and your father believe they accurately remembered the timeline (late morning, noon) Robert reported to them in his first phone call to your father that your sister subsequently reported in her text?

We have 2 timelines on these threads; the one Robert reported to your father (but your sister texted she may not have the best memory) and the timeline Robert reported to media (which matches with the 911 call at 3:26pm).

IMO, it would help to know whether or not your sister and father are confident they correctly remembered this one detail of the phone conversation

Thank you

Has LE looked into her will to see who benefits? This is alot of money!
My brain is going in a completely different direction.

Marriage & Property Ownership: Who Owns What?
SFA:
If you live in a community property state, the rules are more complicated. Community property states are Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.

So, if BT is NOT found deceased, are all of her assets considered community property with RT, including physical/material possessions like homes, RVs, as well as any monetary inheritances?

I guess my question is this:
As long as BT is not found and is not declared dead, under community property laws in Arizona, is RT able to spend money she may have inherited, or not?

JMO.

Last edited:
Except my particular post was more about while the actual abductor may be a stranger, it would have been a hired thing by someone known, and who also was a named beneficiary.
Aha !
Sorry but this is the only way I can envision Barbara being abducted.
I'll never believe it was some random perp driving along.
MOO

Yes, the beer (which was stated to be in a travel mug, but I’m not able to go through the media thread yet again) could have played a role in her disappearance. I was, however, speaking about the recent spate of posts that once again call into question so many of Barbara’s choices that day (what she was wearing, time of day, time of year, beer drinking) and saying things like “I would wait until I was back from a hike for my beer,” as if the poster’s own personal experience would have kept them from Barbara’s fate.

There’s no evidence one way or another that the beer caused Barbara’s disappearance and so, I think, implying that she’d still be alive if only she behaved like the poster thinks she should have - that comes very close to victim blaming, for me. No different than saying that if only a rape victim hadn’t been drinking or wearing a skimpy top, they’d not have been raped.

I did not mean to imply that beer didn’t play a role in possible confusion. In fact, in general, I keep pointing out that clothing, time of day, etc. all could play a role, but that many people do exactly as Barbara did without negative consequences.

And I do think the travel mug likely kept her beer cold enough, but even if it didn’t, having lived in El Paso for a while, people do continue sipping on beer (if that’s the fluid they have) even if it gets warm. Thanks for the clarification re warm beer in Britain, because here in California, we hear about warm beer in Britain (and read about it on Trip Advisor). Warm beer is also a thing in Mexico. It’s also possible that the beer was long-finished and she was just carrying the cup. RT’s point, obviously, was that it appeared she was carrying a beer - no one passing by could have known what she was carrying, IMO.

To me, the only reason to keep bringing up the beer, thread after thread, is to point out RT’s lack of critical thinking skills. No one could have known what Barb had in her travel mug. With or without beer, people lose their bearings in the desert and go missing.

What I’d like to know is the exact place where RT and Barbara separated and whether his memory about time and distance are correct.
Excellent post! BBM the most relevant to finding Barbara.

Although I suspect his suspicions were largely based on emotions rather than facts. His theory of RT's past involvement with a powerful company and an organized kidnapping may have been a little exaggerated and sensational even for the media.
They would have wanted some sort of evidence to back it up. That may be why it took so long for him to finally get an interview with someone.

Matt may have thought he was helping by "working closely with investigators," but in fact may have been more of a hindrance to the investigation than a help. I imagine he provided them with many tips that they were required to follow up on.

Imagine all the rumors that would be circulating if he told the media that RT's past nefarious dealings with a shady organization had something to do with his wife's disappearance, and that he couldn't get involved because he feared for his safety.

I don't think the media would have touched that with a ten foot pole.

IMO
@MsBetsy - this is the thing that puzzles me, why would he fear for his safety? And if he is in fear of his safety, why would he be safer in Indiana than Arizona (and/or California)? Is his fear real or imagined (e.g. for sensationalism)?

SFA:
If you live in a community property state, the rules are more complicated. Community property states are Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.

So, if BT is NOT found deceased, are all of her assets considered community property with RT, including physical/material possessions like homes, RVs, as well as any monetary inheritances?

As long as BT is not found and is not declared dead, under community property laws in Arizona, is RT able to spend money she may have inherited, or not?

JMO.
My understanding is that if one spouse inherits property under community property laws, that is considered separate property rather than community property in a community property state. But IANAL. Perhaps someone who is would like to chime in. MOO

SFA:

JMO.

Here you go @GordianKnot
Community Property Laws
Generally, in community property states, money earned by either spouse during marriage and all property bought with those earnings are considered community property that is owned equally by husband and wife. Likewise, debts incurred during marriage are generally debts of the couple. At the death of one spouse, his or her half of the community property goes to the surviving spouse unless there is a valid will that directs otherwise.

Married people can still own separate property. For example, property inherited by just one spouse belongs to that spouse alone. A spouse can leave separate property to anyone—it doesn't have to go to the surviving spouse.

If this is foul play, and if this inheritance thing is true, this all seems to make a hell of a lot more sense.

I do think law enforcement would be aware of their financial picture right now, as that would have been an important element to investigate early on.

So that’s great, but it doesn’t tell us where Barb is.

@MsBetsy - this is the thing that puzzles me, why would he fear for his safety? And if he is in fear of his safety, why would he be safer in Indiana than Arizona (and/or California)? Is his fear real or imagined (e.g. for sensationalism)?
I think he is in fear of retaliation by whoever he thinks planned or carried out the kidnapping.

Because of RT's connection with them in the past, he thinks RT is involved or knows what happened.

That's what I gathered from all the posts about him and his dark past.
Although we can't discuss any particular company, what I've gathered is that Matt believes there are powerful and dangerous people involved, and that Barbara knew something that might be a problem for them.

Whatever Barbara knew Matt may have known too. He hinted that he had been communicating with her before she disappeared. So maybe he believes whatever happened to her will happen to him.

That's just my interpretation, but I could be wrong. It might be speculation or it might be imagined, but I think that Matt believes it himself.

IMO

If this is foul play, and if this inheritance thing is true, this all seems to make a hell of a lot more sense.

I do think law enforcement would be aware of their financial picture right now, as that would have been an important element to investigate early on.

So that’s great, but it doesn’t tell us where Barb is.
No, that's very true, the inheritance piece of the puzzle doesn't tell us where Barb is.

It doesn't give LE the where.

It gives LE the why.

It's one of the corner pieces to the puzzle.

LE will start filling in the rest of the pieces working from that cornerstone.

I'm quite certain LE's already in the process of painstakingly assembling the pieces to this puzzle.

JMO.

Last edited:
Remember there is so much unaccounted time that hasn't been addressed. At all.
By anyone.
Other than members at WS speculating.
A truck without the RV can make pretty good time.
Did anyone see the truck that day without the RV/fifth wheel attached ?
Has that been asked here ?
If so, I've missed it.

I think he is in fear of retaliation by whoever he thinks planned or carried out the kidnapping.

Because of RT's connection with them in the past, he thinks RT is involved or knows what happened.

That's what I gathered from all the posts about him and his dark past.
Although we can't discuss any particular company, what I've gathered is that Matt believes there are powerful and dangerous people involved, and that Barbara knew something that might be a problem for them.

Whatever Barbara knew Matt may have known too. He hinted that he had been communicating with her before she disappeared. So maybe he believes whatever happened to her will happen to him.

That's just my interpretation, but I could be wrong. It might be speculation or it might be imagined, but I think that Matt believes it himself.

IMO
BUT, actions speak louder than words. If I was in fear, I certainly wouldn't be doing any interviews, or [DELETED BY ME]
How do we know he is in fear? @dbdb11 do you know?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member