CA CA - Brian Fernandez, 21, & Olivia Gonzalez (dec'd), 20, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2016

They said they searched the car and recovered clothes. Then the article states Brian's mother broke down. The article makes it sound like the clothes were loose in the front, not in a suitcase, but you know how articles can be vague and misleading. They didn't say whose clothes they were either. That is sticking with me. Maybe they went there and were "parking"? That could look/ be suspicious yet turn out innocent. Could also explain a shift and acceleration scenario as possible even if unlikely. Either way it's tragic and my heart goes out to both families.

MOO
Hoping it is innocent for the sake of both families.

A couple other thoughts I've had. If the car had been parked and pushed off the edge, it seems unlikely to me that it would have fallen that far before stopping (or had that much damage) with all the trees, stumps, rocks, etc. it had to get past. There are probably 1000 scenarios that could have happened, but one seems most likely to me. If the weather was still fairly decent, they may have been driving at a fairly high speed. Like kids, many dogs get bored sitting in a car for long periods of time, and they may have started acting up a bit. I could see him driving down a somewhat straight road (which it appears to be to me) and turning around to tell the dogs to sit/lay and stop playing, fighting, whatever. It would only take an instant to accidentally turn the wheel as he turned around and lose control of the car.

I'm sure the experts will eventually be able to tell how fast the vehicle was moving, and in what direction and at what angle it went off the road. If it was going more than 10 mph, I'd find it almost impossible that it was just pushed off the side. If it was going more than 20-30, I'd be very surprised if someone could have jumped out before it went over without leaving any evidence of it in the parking area. MOO

If it burst into flames wouldn't someone have seen a fire?

Please don't think I'm saying it burst into flames, or there was a fire ... I was only asking. It LOOKS to me like it could have, just based on photographs. I don't want to be the cause of a rumor starting. If LE didn't say anything about a fire, that's cool. I just wondered if that was stated at all, since I only discovered this case yesterday. ;)

Please don't think I'm saying it burst into flames, or there was a fire ... I was only asking. It LOOKS to me like it could have, just based on photographs. I don't want to be the cause of a rumor starting. If LE didn't say anything about a fire, that's cool. I just wondered if that was stated at all, since I only discovered this case yesterday. ;)

No worries many have asked that same question.
I have not seen any reports that it caught fire.
If He was in that car I'd imagine his blood is in there.

No worries many have asked that same question.
I have not seen any reports that it caught fire.
If He was in that car I'd imagine his blood is in there.

Totally understand how it could appear that way. The mangle car looks dark. Kind of as if burned.
Not saying it burned, for some reason it looks that way to me. Speculation on my part.

All MOO!

The car does look burned but the tires aren't, so I think it has more to do with the salt water and going down the cliff breaking off things like siding and bumpers that gives it such a stripped appearance. I am not sure they will be recovering evidence like blood with the amount of time it spent in the surf.

It isn't like this is a sheer drop like other places on this highway. I agree that if the car had simply rolled, it wouldn't be as mangled as it is and they would have had time to react as there are several yards of hill before it gets rocky. Speed does seem to be a factor and I agree that it was likely a nighttime event. Without knowing the likely path the car took based on forensics, I'd say any of these are possible:

1. Fell asleep - location is totally just fate
2. Dogs or each other caused the driver to lose control
3. Another vehicle caused them to swerve or lose control
4. Animal in the road or seabird flying in front of windshield
5. Fog and confusion
6. Driver was distracted (gps, stereo, ufo, reaching in back seat, etc)
7. Brian rigged the accelerator and sent olivia and his pets over the cliff on purpose
8. Rain
9. blown tire
10. atmospheric anomaly

Given where the car landed, Brian could have easily landed in the sea and could be washed up several miles in either direction. They have quite a task on their hands to find him, with a lot of agencies that have to coordinate.

It rained on 23rd and 24th, would skid marks really be visible on that dirt patch by the time LE was investigating?

I'd like to know more about why they were 'off and on.' My daughter had a bf in her teens that was kind of obsessed with her. Took her a few months to successfully break it off completely because he would not take NO for an answer. He liked her way more than she liked him. It got creepy. And stalker-ish. :eek:

So I wonder about what their relationship was really like.

ETA: after their final break up, he slashed her car tires when she was studying at a boys house that he was jealous of.

And he used to call her and say he was going to kill himself . I made her block his number and I called his mom. He stopped bothering her but he dropped out of school and went and got his GED instead. I feel like she really dodged a bullet.

I'm so glad your daughter got away. So scary.

And you are right people are so different behind close doors and when it come to their significant others.

I firmly believe this was an accident. I see nothing that would cause me to think otherwise. Just because an accident has never happened at that point per a poster doesn't mean a freak accident couldn't happen. Just because a body is still missing doesn't mean this was murder. Bodies in the ocean can take a long time to show up, sometimes miles from where they went in...if ever.

I have a hard time imagining that Brian would destroy his car and kill his dogs in order to murder Olivia. Possibly, if this was a murder-suicide, but I will believe it was an accident unless evidence shows otherwise...if nothing else, for the sake of the families.

I noticed a narrow turnout just south of the viewing area with nothing to stop a car at all. There would be no doubts if it had happened there.

Didn't they stop at a liquor store? Is it possible they were drinking and driving?

Did she kill him elsewhere and then commit suicide?
I hope this is resolved soon.

Didn't they stop at a liquor store? Is it possible they were drinking and driving?

I've been lurking around this case because it's been on the news here. My first thought was they stopped to buy alcohol and something bad happened. What bothers me is that the car just happened to make it through those stumps the way they are - unless they hit them or went over them. I guess we'll find out when they inspect the car.

I've driven the highway several times and of all the places to go off the road, that one spot doesn't stick out for me because the shoulder is wider than some other spots. If my recollection serves me, it gets way worse as you drive up further north, around the Bixby bridge and that area. That's where it's scary - and even more so if you're driving southbound. I'm wondering if they were driving too fast, wanted to stop and saw the turnout there and took it too fast, maybe spun the car and went over. It's really serendipitous if that's what happened. I'm thinking it might have been around sunset so were they trying to get a view and tried to slow down to that turnout? Also, I can recall my phone not working very well once out of San Simeon area so that fact the phones were dead isn't a surprise.

It's sad seeing people lose their lives anywhere, but in such a beautiful place and while doing something they likely enjoyed, it really tugs at me. It's such a beautiful place. I hope it was a tragic accident and nothing worse.

I firmly believe this was an accident. I see nothing that would cause me to think otherwise. Just because an accident has never happened at that point per a poster doesn't mean a freak accident couldn't happen. Just because a body is still missing doesn't mean this was murder. Bodies in the ocean can take a long time to show up, sometimes miles from where they went in...if ever.

I have a hard time imagining that Brian would destroy his car and kill his dogs in order to murder Olivia. Possibly, if this was a murder-suicide, but I will believe it was an accident unless evidence shows otherwise...if nothing else, for the sake of the families.

I noticed a narrow turnout just south of the viewing area with nothing to stop a car at all. There would be no doubts if it had happened there.

I'm with you here. IMO this was a horrible accident, or possibly a murder-suicide. Killing Olivia and his dogs then taking off just doesn't make sense to me. He's still so young. I don't think he'd make it out there on his own for long without getting caught. Plus if he had planned to murder her, why do it when everyone else knows you're together?

There is zero evidence that he was a violent person...unless I've totally missed something. It seems like it would be a lot easier to just make her disappear in the woods. That way he wouldn't have to kill his dogs. "We were hiking. I turned my back and she was gone." Murder/suicide....maybe. Accident...probably. Him killing her, his dogs and his car and running off somewhere...I just can't see it.
We do not even know who was driving. Maybe SHE drove the car off. We don't know anything.

I think it's quite possible he could have ended up in the water, but I also think there's a possibility he could have survived the wreck initially. He could have tried walking straight up to get help and realized he couldn't make it up at that point and walked further up or down the coast to find a less steep area and ended up passing due to injuries.

My own father nearly lost his own life after falling alseep at the wheel and drove straight into a ravine. It was about 4 am and no one saw him leave the road, but he managed to crawl back up to the road to flag down a truck driver. Had he waited in the car any longer or that trucker wouldn't have driven by, the story would have had a much different ending.

'The vehicle was being examined by investigators after it was pulled from the side of the cliff. Investigators described the situation as suspicious and stated they continued to search for Fernandez.' Quote from ABC7 news January 6th online report.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acalvert
Back