CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read on the Find Bryce FB site that the lake is charging the searchers to come in and search the area. That's terrible!

Yesterday, when I entered, I simply said that I was performing a search for Bryce, and the gate attendant told me that the $11 fee was waived... no charge. Unless that changed today, the lake is not charging searchers.

Thank you!

Would you say it appears he was trying to drive around the cell tower, realized it got too narrow (or too soft?) to go around completely, & then backed up in an attempt to make a 3 point turn & go back the way he came?

That is PRECISELY what appears to have happened.

I just read on the Find Bryce FB site that the lake is charging the searchers to come in and search the area. That's terrible!

That's awful! It isn't as if there isn't enough space. While the lake area can be crowded, the roads above, even near the visitors center are for all purposes, rural roads. I am a native of the area (rural canyon north of SCV) and have travelled lots of the back/fire roads in the area growing up. I now live in the NW but truly wish I was able to help with the search. Just got through the first thread and skimmed this one. This case has really caught me.

Thank you so much for the information. Is the fence around the tower tall enough and large enough that it could obscure a vehicle, such as Bryce's, from being seen by passing cars?

Possibly... however, at that time of day, and given the remoteness of the area, a passing vehicle would be extremely rare. If some body were actively searching for a vehicle (say, if one was being followed, and trying to hide), if one turned off the headlights, they would be utterly invisible/ hidden. However, with lights on, an alert and observant passerby would be able to still see light.

Right....recently tried it. Doesn't necessarily mean he was a regular user or had a prescription, does it?

My son never told me he used it regularly either until the cops found an empty bottle from a psychiatrist in his pants pocket when he crashed his truck. I called that psychiatrist and gave him a piece of my mind. Bryce's friends knew more that's why they took his keys but didn't want to rat him out to his family. I never told my parents crap when I was in my 20s in college.

My son never told me he used it regularly either until the cops found an empty bottle from a psychiatrist in his pants pocket when he crashed his truck. I called that psychiatrist and gave him a piece of my mind. Bryce's friends knew more that's why they took his keys but didn't want to rat him out to his family. I never told my parents crap when I was in my 20s in college.

BBM Exactly!

When my Son was in the frat his fraternity bro and others told him what symptoms to tell the dr they had in order to get an RX. Pathetic. Dr Phil had a show about this Adderall problem used widely at colleges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lake Hughes Road passes the WEST side of the cell tower: the location of the "stuck vehicle" ruts are on the EAST side of the cell tower, approximately 25 feet east of the cell tower fence.

From there, it is approximately 50 feet to the "cliff edge" where the vehicle rolled (or was driven) to, in reverse/ backward, and went over, to fall onto the road.

I'm just getting caught up and just read your posts from this morning - Wow!

Welcome and thanks for searching for BL and for offering your findings/insight here!

So, for the SUV to have been in a position to roll in reverse/backward off the cliff edge ... was the SUV driven, off of Lake Hughes Road, front end first through the split in the guardrails or backed in through the split in the guardrails, in your opinion? TIA

maps
Google map of crash area:
http://goo.gl/maps/Rc11K

ETA: BluePoppy beat me to the question (three-point turn attempt) and I read your positive response. Thanks!
maps

@Yellow Camaro thank you so much for all this information. You are making it so easy to understand the logistics of things. Really appreciate it SO MUCH.

:rockon:

I really am finding it impossible to believe that Bryce is okay somewhere, unless his plan was to disappear. But if so, why call his mother at all? Why not just go?

By now, he would be dirty, probably a mess, if he is not hiding out, so IMO he would have been noticed. If he was charging such tiny amounts to a debit card, I doubt he had any cash. So he would have to be begging or stealing food and someone would notice him, IMO.

I guess I am stuck on that lake. So many men his age end up in water somehow.

JMO

When my Son was in the frat his fraternity bro and others told him what symptoms to tell the dr they had in order to get an RX. Pathetic. Dr Phil had a show about this Adderall problem used widely at colleges.

Dr Oz did as well. One kid became paranoid on it and ended up hanging himself. The Doctors were prescribing it just based on what he symptoms he lied about having. Dr. Oz stated that it's safe and highly effective for a person who actually has ADD/ADHD and takes it as prescribed...but something tells me these college kids are abusing it and not taking it as prescribed. I think it would take a lot of medication and a lot of missed sleep to make a person who was considered to be a normal person to hang themselves. Kids are even crushing it up snorting it these days. It's crazy scary.

So, for the SUV to have been in a position to roll in reverse/backward off the cliff edge ... was the SUV driven, off of Lake Hughes Road, front end first through the split in the guardrails or backed in through the split in the guardrails, in your opinion?

In my opinion: He drove forward through the gap in the guardrail (it would actually be difficult and awkward to back through the gap), and tried to drive AROUND the backside of the cell tower enclosure. This was where/ when he became stuck, as the dirt on the "backside" is very soft, and the slope is approx. 30 degrees from horizontal (quite steep, in terms of vehicle off- roading).

And naturally once one is exposed to such substances, one is more open to others. Maybe not even seeking to try them out, but just get offered at a party one random night where some 'crazy' friend of a friend is handing out stuff, or are out of their preferred drug, so try something else. Not saying BL did this, but it does happen, and too frequently. Any substance can be viewed as a 'gateway'. That is why all of this is so worrying because there is no way to know the extent by judging the cover, what the person says, or how innocent the person was in the past.

I'm glad this stuff wasn't popular when I was in HS/college. I have a much younger sibling who transferred to a new HS a year ago. He had dabbled in mj and is no goodie-good, but within the first few days of school he was appalled at how rampant drug use was, across all 'types' of kids, especially during school hours. This is an upper to middle-class suburban school like an OC. I went to this same school almost 20 years ago, and it was not anything like THAT (I would know - I ran in the 'counterculture' circles). I quizzed him about it because had had been going to school in the SF valley which I thought should be worse, and I would think he would be accustomed to his age group, and he is open minded and all that, but no...it truly was as bad as he said. He finally transferred to a different school for this and other reasons. But yikes!

The dam is about 3/4 mile across at its top... and there is a roadway across it. It is gated, with signs indicating that only authorized vehicles may drive on it... but pedestrian access is extremely easy. Nothing prevents pedestrian access, as the gates are simple metal bars, 36" off the ground... nothing else. It is absolutely very easily accessible.

The FACE of the dam is rocky, very difficult to walk on... I suspect nearly impossible at night. I descended the face once, ascended it once, in broad daylight, and it was very difficult not to lose my footing on the loose, rocky (softball to basketball sized) surface.

Could he have fallen into the lake from the dam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhatHappenedToJAB