CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a LOT of "stuff" for a 19 year old away from home for the first(ish) time if he is responsible. A LOT.

eta: translation: "responsible" = "gives a s***"

This was said to be the firts time he drove it by his self?

No, no. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. I was referring to being away from home (on his own). Hasn't been for very long. That can be simultaneously liberating and terrifying (stressful).

I have no idea if he'd ever made the drive himself...

Though I hate that this "theory" gets thrown into many cases where it doesn't belong, I can't help but think that with each passing day he isn't found that this could be an Into the Wild scenario. Can his family/girlfriend/friends comment on whether he read the book/watched the movie?

Also, maybe the car that was purportedly just behind him helped him plan an 'out' of some kind. Fantastical thinking I know, but going back to the location three times makes me think he was looking for an ideal location to ditch his vehicle rather than commit suicide.

I admittedly haven't read this thread in awhile so newer developments may have taken this possibility off the table.

Though I hate that this "theory" gets thrown into many cases where it doesn't belong, I can't help but think that with each passing day he isn't found that this could be an Into the Wild scenario. Can his family/girlfriend/friends comment on whether he read the book/watched the movie?

Also, maybe the car that was purportedly just behind him helped him plan an 'out' of some kind. Fantastical thinking I know, but going back to the location three times makes me think he was looking for an ideal location to ditch his vehicle rather than commit suicide.

I admittedly haven't read this thread in awhile so newer developments may have taken this possibility off the table.

BBM

I think. THINK. That car was determined to be employees at the lake. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I agree re: the lake. It's so dang hot in that part of the state, I just can't imagine him being submerged for this long. But even with that being said, I originally joined here for Linnea Lomax and she hung herself in a very hot climate. She wasn't in the water, she was in a tree, but I was shocked that she'd been hanging there for months before she was finally found.

The other thing that freaks me out about this case is that it seems like there have been bodies found all over in that general area lately. None of them seem to be Bryce, but it scares me that there are stories every couple of days about people being found. We're up to at least 6 now right? And I think I've only seen ID's on one or two of them.

Kind of off topic, but it freaks me out as well. I grew up in the area, in the country. As a kid about 7 yrs old, our older cousin from the city stayed with us for a few weeks each summer. We never took him to the lake or anywhere special really. And Castaic lake isn't a well known name or place in LA unless one knows of it. But I remember vividly a story he told my brother and I about, of all places, Castaic Lake, with miners or workers going out on a boat, and somehow it ended with there being several dead bodies in the lake, weighed down by chains and weights. He told it as a 'true' legend story that his Dad had told him, though I always took it as a campfire tale which I believe it was. Though, later in life I had heard older relatives mention bodies being found there. I don't mean to scare anyone but I hate thinking about this now.

In the past, the lake had a little of a 'bad vibe' to it. For years in the 80's, the water was 'bad' in the lagoon (sewage?) so people immediately stopped going to swim, fish and hang out there. And it kind of had a bad reputation from that, for many years. This happened when I was about 4, and even up to college, the lagoon with it's beaches and picnic areas, was mostly empty, or, not very heavily attended. People were there, but it was not the type of crowd you would expect for such a place. It's probably different now, but I always remembered that hung over the place for some time. The upper lake wasn't affected by this though.

If this post is considered offensive/violating terms to anyone, I can delete it. It was not meant that way.

No, no. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse. I was referring to being away from home (on his own). Hasn't been for very long. That can be simultaneously liberating and terrifying (stressful).

I have no idea if he'd ever made the drive himself...

Im confused. I thought he attended that college all of last year. That is what someone replied to my post ab seeing his gf had graduated from Sierra.

BBM

I think. THINK. That car was determined to be employees at the lake. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

Or fishermen? ??

In any case, the car following about a minute behind BL's SUV was checked out and determined not to have had anything to do with BL's missing status.

Im confused. I thought he attended that college all of last year. That is what someone replied to my post ab seeing his gf had graduated from Sierra.

Yes, but he's still on his own (newbie)... I left home at 17 but didn't grow into it until my late 20's.

BBM

Fishermen, IIRC... but I do wonder about employees at the lake, too.

Yes. Thank you for posting this. I had wondered this as well. Pressures, maybe just wanting to give it all up and start a new lifestyle? Whether or not he read the book and did the 'wild' part of it, it begs thinking about.

If he doesn't want to be found, I think he must have found someone to shelter him. He can't even really be "camping" or roughing it alone, IMO, unless he had supplies and cash. And if he had cash, why use a debit card for such tiny amounts?

Young people are so much...younger, these days IMO.

If he doesn't want to be found, I think he must have found someone to shelter him. He can't even really be "camping" or roughing it alone, IMO, unless he had supplies and cash. And if he had cash, why use a debit card for such tiny amounts?

I agree, but isn't the narrative of the story along the lines of 'leave everything behind and hitchhike to greener pastures'? Didn't the guy in the story ditch his car and everything else and then hitchhike while creating a new identity? Didn't he also pick up odd jobs and such for cash along the way? Hell, I can't remember.

Just a theory, albeit a far fetched one.

I agree, but isn't the narrative of the story along the lines of 'leave everything behind and hitchhike to greener pastures'? Didn't the guy in the story ditch his car and everything else and then hitchhike while creating a new identity? Didn't he also pick up odd jobs and such for cash along the way?

Just a theory, albeit a far fetched one.

Not really familiar with the story. But why call his mom to say he is on his way? Why not get a head start and just go?

Not really familiar with the story. But why call his mom to say he is on his way? Why not get a head start and just go?

Exactly. He was pretty much giving his mom a blow-by-blow of his activities (or so it seems) while on the road... there is that exorbitant amount of time spent - 10 hours? - at Buttonwillow, but I think if he was going to take off, he'd have been a little more vague.

I've thought about it... I would clean my house, spotless... get everything "just so", and walk out without a word to anyone. And I'd turn around and come back within a day. *le sigh*

Who knows... :banghead:

I do recall hearing that this was the first time Bryce had driven the entire distance alone. I believe he & his parents usually flew, aside from moving in, and then they drove up with him & flew home.

BBM

The car 1 or 2 minutes behind Bryce was determined to be fishermen who were questioned & said they saw nothing. The people who found him were reported to be someone of LE type reporting to a training exercise or something like that.

This was the beginning of his 2nd year at Sierra.

Uncle said camping is not likely. Their family never camped or were outdoorsy really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa