CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't confirm for sure but I think they're the same thing. I think "Oasis" is sort of the independent name of the franchised gas station if that makes sense. We used to have a Valero up the street that showed up on my credit card with a name on it. I forget the exact name as it's been awhile and they're out of business now or else I'd go get gas just to check it out, but it was something like "Mark's Valero #__" as opposed to just "Valero."

Funny thing about the map is that when you look at it zoomed out, it looks like the Oasis Valero is on the east side of 5. But when you zoom in, you can see it is on the west side of 5.

I have looked at this same Oasis Valero gas station on 3 different maps (with the same address) and they are in 3 different locations (Google mapped it at 4.3 miles away from the 5 freeway which, when I place my little Google Guy down on the map, I can clearly see isn't accurate.) So there is only ONE Valero gas station in Buttonwillow, correct? (or do they keep picking it up and moving it every time I try and find it on a map?) :banghead:

I have looked at this same Oasis Valero gas station on 3 different maps (with the same address) and they are in 3 different locations (Google mapped it at 4.3 miles away from the 5 freeway which, when I place my little Google Guy down on the map, I can clearly see isn't accurate.) So there is only ONE Valero gas station in Buttonwillow, correct? (or do they keep picking it up and moving it every time I try and find it on a map?) :banghead:

I haven't been there to confirm it but it looks like there's only one. How they manage to relocate every 20 minutes is beyond me ;) but they all seem to look pretty much the same. Hope we hear from someone who's been there recently and can confirm.

Oh also wanted to mention, I think, but not sure, that it's somewhat confusing to look on the maps because of the nature of Buttonwillow. There's a large area right by the freeway that has truck stops, motels, gas stations, etc. and I think that's what most think of as Buttonwillow. I did until I saw the other area in person. The other area is what is officially called "downtown" Buttonwillow (as in you pass the city sign that says "Buttonwillow" and has population, elevation, etc.) and it's several miles off the Interstate - 4.3 miles wouldn't surprise me. I wonder if that's part of what's making the online map searches difficult. Not that it should change the miles from I5... but thinking that might be part of the confusion.

I only know of the one near the freeway, and the Valero website only shows that one for Buttonwillow. I know what you mean about the Google map and the Mapquest map having the address for the Valero in the wrong places. I had to Google drive back to the freeway to find the one I knew was there. The one I know as Oasis Valero is on the north side of highway 58, west of I5. You can see it from the freeway, and the southbound exit for I5 is west of that station. The Shell station is a trip under the freeway to the east side, then north on Tracy (which parallels the freeway and has the northbound ramps)

Does anyone know if Bryce would have any interest in car racing? It doesn't really seem like it, but given it's the only reason I have any interest in stopping in Buttonwillow I had to ask.

Here is a map. This is what I believe to be true. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I also mapped how far it is from 7-11 to the accident site. Where the other camera was is right near a large sign for castaic lake. It's not really an "entrance". You dont pay unless you go into the lower lake beach area or down to the main boat ramp. There is no fee to drive up Lake Hughes rd.

Great photo! Thanks!!

BBM

:cautionDrunk: :laughcry: You owe me a cup of coffee... mine ended up on the monitor!

Here is a map. This is what I believe to be true. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I also mapped how far it is from 7-11 to the accident site. Where the other camera was is right near a large sign for castaic lake. It's not really an "entrance". You dont pay unless you go into the lower lake beach area or down to the main boat ramp. There is no fee to drive up Lake Hughes rd.

I am starting to think one of two things:

1) After the accident (and I still think he was trying to ditch the car in the lake) he went out onto the dam, then turned around and came back (for what ever reason) then walked into the park a bit, then up the same hill his vehicle went down back up to Lake Hughes Road and left the area.

2) He's still there in the park/lake and the sightings are errors.

What caused him to do this were a number of stressors including the GF, his mother wanting to fly up and see him, the police wellness check and whatever he and his uncle discussed that "they could work through".

at this point I kind of feel he is on the "run" and family knows.

just a hunch.

I am starting to think one of two things:

1) After the accident (and I still think he was trying to ditch the car in the lake) he went out onto the dam, then turned around and came back (for what ever reason) then walked into the park a bit, then up the same hill his vehicle went down back up to Lake Hughes Road and left the area.

2) He's still there in the park/lake and the sightings are errors.

What caused him to do this were a number of stressors including the GF, his mother wanting to fly up and see him, the police wellness check and whatever he and his uncle discussed that "they could work through".

I'm wondering what he might have been so conflicted about...

I think you're right about the car - I think he (or someone) was trying to ditch it in the lake, for whatever reason. How thoroughly have they search the lake and dam area? I seem to remember something about significant currents and undertows near dams and spillways. I hate to even think it, but could a body get trapped in the currents surrounding the dam?

Hi,
I posted a long post I believe it was back on thread one. Sorry I'm on my iPad and hard to paste link. I will see if I can find post # though :)

ETA it's post #837 on thread #1 I'm not sure if this link will work but I'll try it :)
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #1

I'm so sorry about your son. I can't imagine what you've gone through. It's stories like this that make you realize ANYTHING is possible. For all we know he could be on the east coast or really anywhere in the US.

My gut still thinks he's near Castaic lake. I know anything is possible but IMPO I feel like it would have been really hard to get out of the area without anyone seeing him. It was early but not that early and to get to a main road he would have had to pass through housing and businesses. Plus it being a Saturday it wouldn't have been that busy and a tall redhead would have really stuck out.

I don't know. I keep going over google maps but there isn't a certain area that sticks out.

Maybe I need to go watch a few episodes of "Without a Trace" lol

Plus it being a Saturday it wouldn't have been that busy and a tall redhead would have really stuck out.
Snipped by me.

Just a note, it was Labor Day weekend, so it probably was pretty crowded.

Added - it was the Friday of the labor day weekend when he went missing, so that actual day he went missing probably wasn't as crowded there as it would have been the rest of the weekend.

It was a mother of BL's friend from school..I believe Caron(?), whom mentioned that she herself spoke to Kim and that BL was supposed to spend Labor Day weekend with Kim at Chico. I can't find the link, so I guess someone deleted it? Not sure if I can even say this since I don't have the thread to back it up.. :/

This is absolutely correct. Caron is now a verified insider for this case, but several of her posts were deleted prior to becoming one. :(

Castaic has a line starting pretty early on regular weekends in the summer. I am almost positive people were around then trying to be the first on the queue for the boat launch because of Labor Day weekend.

Maybe things have changed since I use to go a few years ago, but I remember how insane it was during the summer weekends, never would have dared going on a holiday weekend.

I once went with my family and got there at 8am and didn't get to launch until 2pm waiting in the boat queue, so I just can't imagine it wasn't starting to populate shortly after the time it all went down. Especially for fisherman.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Snipped by me.

Just a note, it was Labor Day weekend, so it probably was pretty crowded.

Added - it was the Friday of the labor day weekend when he went missing, so that actual day he went missing probably wasn't as crowded there as it would have been the rest of the weekend.

Strong possibility that he was long gone from the area before his SUV was even spotted, crashed.

Looking closer at the LE transcript for the missing person/wellness check request ...

The last contact noted with BL on Thursday while he was in/around Buttonwillow was at 12:30pm - probably referencing the meeting with the roadside serviceman.

So, it appears, the parents had no phone contact w/BL on Thursday from at least before 12:30pm, when the road serviceman made contact, until about 10pm or 10:30pm when KL did speak with BL on the phone. BBM:
[8/29/2013 20:25:00 : pos14 : MADRIGALT] VIA TELEPHONE, 18-442 REQUEST(S)/REQUIRED PING OF 630-408-xxxx...SPOKE TO NICOLE AT AT&T; AND WILL FAX FORMS TO PING CELL PHONE...LAST HEARD FROM SUBJECT AT 1230 8-29-2013
http://www.ocnewsmap.com/dat/crime/laguna_niguel.html

BL Case Timeline - excerpt 8/29:

attachment.php

Attachments

• BL Case_excerpt 8-29.jpg
    BL Case_excerpt 8-29.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 183
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online