CA CA - Daphne Webb, 21 mos, Oakland, 10 July 2013

My grandmother passed from dementia, she was 87. There would have been no possible way that anyone if my family would have left her in a car with a child or anywhere to care for a child alone for that matter. She wasn't capable. There would have been no way that she would have been able to get my kids in and out of their car seats either. My feeling is that the baby was left with the grandma and something happened. Even though in the grandmas state and due to her age nothing would happen to her, the dad may have panicked that something would happen to him for leaving her and came up with this story to cover himself.

Such an adorable baby girl, pray that they find her safe and sound.

I too pray she is found soon, safe and sound ;}

BTW, :welcome4:

"We asked the father's neighbor, Olga Lopez, when the last time was she saw John Anthony with the baby. She told us, "I would say seven months ago."

Everyone we spoke to said they haven't seen Webb with his daughter in several weeks. Meanwhile, at least a dozen police have been searching an area along the Martin Luther King Jr. Regional Shoreline in Oakland. They also had dogs sniffing along a trail there and the area has been taped off as a crime scene. Police are interviewing Webb, but say at this time he is not a suspect."

OUCH. This is not going to end well. :rose:

No one has seen him with the baby in several weeks?? And this neighbor has not seen them together for seven months??

And when questioned, the father broke down and started to cry.
This can't be good. I want to know why is she missing part of her ear?

"KTVU also learned a cadaver dog picked up a scent at the family's home in a trashcan and on a pillow case, but it was unclear if that scent is of Daphne or of something or someone else."

Someone else? WHO ????????

I'm going way out on a limb here, just for devil's advocacy's sake ! Somehow or another during baby Lisa's case, it came up that a cadaver dog can make a hit when someone has been dead for mere minutes. Did I get that right? Someone could die in a spot on the floor, be picked up and carried off somewhere almost immediately and that scent would still be on the floor. If I got that all wrong, I'm open for corrections. Could an 87 yr old person have ' died' and been revived by EMS's and the death scent be there at the spot? Think about it. Lots of people get revived after a heart failure or something. So what happens to their death scent? Rambling but just made me think WHO else might have left a death scent in that home . If the home belonged to the elderly mom, perhaps her spouse or something from years back? Just moo and athinking out loud.

From Question's link above:

"Davis-Webb, who is living in a residential substance abuse treatment facility, has had trouble with the law before, but she said Friday that she was working to improve her life.
In February, Davis-Webb was convicted of child endangerment and possession of a controlled substance, according to court records from Alameda County Superior Court. A passer-by called Oakland police after seeing Davis-Webb passed out in a car with Daphne in the back seat, records show.

Davis-Webb was found to have taken a prescription painkiller without a prescription and drank an unknown amount of alcohol before getting behind the wheel. She accepted a plea deal and was barred from seeing Daphne, but a court order was later modified to allow her limited contact."

Many of us have been wondering where mom was. Makes sense and I'm glad she's trying to turn her life around. The fact she was found passed out at the wheel with Daphne in the back is horrifying.

oh carpydoodle.
That totally colors the fact that she thought the dad was being treated like a criminal unfairly. Ughhhhh for all we know, dad was passed out in a car days later and the same person came by and decided enough was enough and just took her and started a new life and who could blame them if that was the case? Well, you know what I mean.

A neighbor at Webb's most recent listed address, about half a mile from the site of the kidnapping, said Webb is Daphne's father and had lived there for years with the child's mother as well as his own mother.

The neighbor, Bill Owens, 70, said the family had moved out of the home around Christmas, around the time that Daphne had started walking. Webb had already raised two daughters now in their 20s at the same home, said Owens, who had trained the girls in martial arts when they were younger.
http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_23635013/oakland-police-search-missing-girl

it doesn't sound like Grandma's spouse, if any, ever lived with them in the Greenridge Dr apartment so the smell was likely somebody or something else.

The smell being on a pillowcase and a trashcan worries me. It's not like it was old chicken from the fridge gone bad if it was on the pillowcase. Trashcan, maybe.

Likewise if any human died then I could see the residual scent on the pillowcase.... but the trashcan?

Not many scenarios put a human death scent on a pillowcase and a trashcan e xcept suffocation of a human small enough to fit INTO a trashcan. IMO

I could see the death scent lingering in the trashcan if the family of a deceased person discarded something that the dead body had been in contact with. Was it a trash can that they own and brought with them or one that was associated with the apartment and other people had been using too?

I could see the death scent lingering in the trashcan if the family of a deceased person discarded something that the dead body had been in contact with. Was it a trash can that they own and brought with them or one that was associated with the apartment and other people had been using too?

Good question -

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-law/missing-girl/nYnfX/

"KTVU also learned a cadaver dog picked up a scent at the family's home in a trashcan and on a pillow case, but it was unclear if that scent is of Daphne or of something or someone else."

I take that to mean these were items inside the home itself, rather than some larger apartment complex dumpster or industrial trashcan, but that's JMO.

My grandmother passed from dementia, she was 87. There would have been no possible way that anyone if my family would have left her in a car with a child or anywhere to care for a child alone for that matter. She wasn't capable.

Actually the first thing the relatives of the people with dementia learn is never leave them unattended. Never friggin' ever. Dementia does weird things to the brain and the people suffering from it do the weirdest things, that might endanger them and the others. My dear Granny almost managed to blow the house up, playing with the gas stove. And if the elderly lady in question was still capable of walking, leaving her unattended, especially anywhere outside of home, could easly end up with her wandering around and getting lost. That's also something you learn very fast, if you have a person with dementia under your care.

So I'm sorry, but I do not believe that any person with experience in it, would leave the person with dementia alone in a car AND with a little child. I don't buy it. Sorry.

Actually the first thing the relatives of the people with dementia learn is never leave them unattended. Never friggin' ever. Dementia does weird things to the brain and the people suffering from it do the weirdest things, that might endanger them and the others. My dear Granny almost managed to blow the house up, playing with the gas stove. And if the elderly lady in question was still capable of walking, leaving her unattended, especially anywhere outside of home, could easly end up with her wandering around and getting lost. That's also something you learn very fast, if you have a person with dementia under your care.

So I'm sorry, but I do not believe that any person with experience in it, would leave the person with dementia alone in a car AND with a little child. I don't buy it. Sorry.

My son in law's stepfather had dementia and eventually died from it but even when he was at his worst, my son in law's mom would take him to the store with her and leave him in the car. He never tried to get out, never tried to drive the car away or anything of the sort but he was always bad at home...trying to leave the house in the middle of the night, imagining "little people" living the collection of lighthouses sitting on the shelves. For some odd reason, being in the car seemed to calm him down, kind of like little children who sleep better when they ride in a car. So I can see how JW would leave his daughter in the SUV with his mom.

The smell being on a pillowcase and a trashcan worries me. It's not like it was old chicken from the fridge gone bad if it was on the pillowcase. Trashcan, maybe.

Likewise if any human died then I could see the residual scent on the pillowcase.... but the trashcan?

Not many scenarios put a human death scent on a pillowcase and a trashcan e xcept suffocation of a human small enough to fit INTO a trashcan. IMO

BBM - I hate how absolutely reasonable and potentially accurate that statement sounds to me. (JMO as well)

I really WANT to imagine a scenario where a woman walking by the SUV could decide to take the purse and the toddler from the car, in broad daylight, in the parking lot, not knowing when the man was going to return to the car. It is really hard to imagine it happening that way, although stranger things have happened. The only way it makes sense at all is if the woman was familiar with the family, and knew it was safe to try and abduct the child at the time. JMO

From above link:

"The mother of a missing 21-month-old girl said she is devastated and confused about her missing baby, but she refused to speculate Friday about whether the child's father, who was released from jail after prosecutors declined to charge him with child endangerment, played a role in her disappearance.

"There are so many things that don't make sense," said Kiana Davis-Webb, 31, of Oakland. "We just don't know really what to think right now. I don't know if he was overwhelmed or what is going on."

<snip>

"Davis-Webb said she has spoken only once to her husband since the girl went missing, and until Friday she has been largely silent about the case that has drawn national attention.

"I've been very private about my personal feelings about what I think happened, and I'd like to keep it that way," she said Friday. "

much more at link

ETA: BBM - I think she told us what she thinks happened, JMO.

Also from above link -

"Davis-Webb made an emotional plea for her daughter on Friday.

"If somebody has her or saw anything, regardless of how small or insignificant they feel it is, even if they feel it's going to get someone in trouble, if they could please come forward. She has a family that is waiting for her to come back," said Davis-Webb, who married John Webb about five years ago after meeting him in church.

She described her daughter as active and lovable, a good baby who would fall asleep on anyone's shoulder and never shied away from strangers and likely wouldn't cry or scream if someone did nab her."

I find this woman very genuine and feel very sorry for her. :(

She's being private about what she think happened?????? What??? Your child is missing!!!
I'm very confused by that perspective. JMO.
I hope that she has shared the opinion with LE. I will also say - that is all she is expected to do. She is entitled to keep her opinion private regardless how anyone feels about that. I'm trying to be fair and impartial.

Perhaps the treatment facility can account for her whereabouts while Daphne was seen alive and well after she entered treatment but the words restraining order were enough to make me feel uneasy about mom too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back