CA CA - Daphne Webb, 21 mos, Oakland, 10 July 2013

"The car seat was pulled over the back door was open. My mom's purse was gone," said Webb.

From here: http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/crime-...eleased/nYpf8/

The car seat was pulled over? That makes no sense. Our seats are so tight that it is not easy to unbuckle or undo the LATCH system (which this SUV should have). Why would someone looking to kidnap a baby in a hurry bother unbuckling the seat from the vehicle's seat in order to "pull it over?" Why not just unbuckle the kid, since they would have to unbuckle her to remove her anyways?? I sure hope they checked for finger prints on the car seat restraint belts as well as the actual seat harness itself.

In regards to the question on what cadaver dogs can pick up and how soon after death, I remember from my molecular bio class that the body had to be dead for almost an hour to start releasing the gases that the dogs detect. The only other thing a well trained dog will alert on is a pig carcass, because the flesh is similar to humans. No sources at the moment, just remembering what the Prof said, as he was a S&R volunteer as well.

The purse is a little odd to me as well. If you want a child, will you take the time to steal a purse, and risk the grandma throwing a fit over her stolen purse? If you want a purse, will you take a child?

Exactly. It feels like too many extra embellishments. I wonder where Grandma kept her purse. Chances are she had her purse more for that being her habit or attachment than out of necessity (i.e., she's not buying things, not carrying lots of important things, because she has severe Alzheimer's) and I would think she'd keep it close to her, and not in the backseat near the child. Did the kidnapper grab the purse from a different part of the car? This is so weird.

Why would a woman with dementia even carry her purse with her?

Supposedly the father took Daphne to the local park quite often. He probably took his mother and daughter there together. MAYBE the woman had seen them there and met them over time. So when she saw the baby in the car with the grandmother, she knew she could take the child. ?

Why would a woman with dementia even carry her purse with her?

Supposedly the father took Daphne to the local park quite often. He probably took his mother and daughter there together. MAYBE the woman had seen them there and met them over time. So when she saw the baby in the car with the grandmother, she knew she could take the child. ?

I tried addressing this in my last post, but felt so bad just outright saying that it sounds like she has very severe dementia, and I think she carries her purse around much like my 5 year old carries HER purses around. Her bag is currently full of six My Little Ponies, 10 lip smackers which she never uses for fear of wasting, a diaper for her baby doll that she left at home, a button pin that says, "I'M ALLERGIC TO TREE NUTS!" which she isn't, and a notebook + a billion pens for doing her "homework." All of the pages are covered in her writings (squiggly lines and random letters :) )So... stuff important to her, but overall pretty useless. She just feels like she NEEDS it.

Actually the first thing the relatives of the people with dementia learn is never leave them unattended. Never friggin' ever. Dementia does weird things to the brain and the people suffering from it do the weirdest things, that might endanger them and the others. My dear Granny almost managed to blow the house up, playing with the gas stove. And if the elderly lady in question was still capable of walking, leaving her unattended, especially anywhere outside of home, could easly end up with her wandering around and getting lost. That's also something you learn very fast, if you have a person with dementia under your care.

So I'm sorry, but I do not believe that any person with experience in it, would leave the person with dementia alone in a car AND with a little child. I don't buy it. Sorry.

if dad was the sole caregiver for both, maybe he had no choice. Took them both with him whenever he went out. But I dont see him loading them both up for a trip to get an energy drink. WAY too much trouble. Where else did they go that day? Or where else were they headed to???
I dont see someone opening 2 car doors, stealing the grandma's purse (which would have raised a ruckus I think!!) then taking time to take the baby. Reminds me of the case in Detroit a few years back where the dad claims someone carjacked him - someone stopped him, stole his car with his daughter in it... later they 'found' the car but not the baby... IIFC he was charged with murder in that one...

if dad was the sole caregiver for both, maybe he had no choice. Took them both with him whenever he went out. But I dont see him loading them both up for a trip to get an energy drink. WAY too much trouble. Where else did they go that day? Or where else were they headed to???
I dont see someone opening 2 car doors, stealing the grandma's purse (which would have raised a ruckus I think!!) then taking time to take the baby. Reminds me of the case in Detroit a few years back where the dad claims someone carjacked him - someone stopped him, stole his car with his daughter in it... later they 'found' the car but not the baby... IIFC he was charged with murder in that one...

He was supposed to meet up with his estranged daughter. Who he was talking to on the phone when he "discovered" Daphne missing. Who he had called, out of the blue, after being estranged for a year.

I find it interesting that the mother did not instantly accuse her husband of harming the child. It does not make him innocent, but it gives me pause. JMO

I'm not a nurse or a doctor, but I worked in nursing homes for many years, as a nurse's aide and medication aide as well as unit secretary. One does not die FROM dementia, it's not a disease, it's just a deterioration of brain cells caused by old age. A very large percentage of elderly have some degree of dementia, it can be as simple as being forgetful and confused, to not recognizing family members, and not able to function at all without assistance. They can't dress themselves, feed themselves or know when they have to go to the bathroom. Dementia affects only the mind, Alzheimer's affects the body as well.

I find it interesting that the mother did not instantly accuse her husband of harming the child. It does not make him innocent, but it gives me pause. JMO

She may not have accused him of anything, but she did say, "I don't know if he was overwhelmed or what is going on."

Overwhelmed? I don't think "overwhelmed" is a phrase I'd use if I was upset that he didn't take her into the store. "Overwhelmed" is a phrase I'd use if I thought he snapped and did something. JMO.

I really WANT to imagine a scenario where a woman walking by the SUV could decide to take the purse and the toddler from the car, in broad daylight, in the parking lot, not knowing when the man was going to return to the car. It is really hard to imagine it happening that way, although stranger things have happened. The only way it makes sense at all is if the woman was familiar with the family, and knew it was safe to try and abduct the child at the time. JMO

The purse makes is less likely, I think. If this was staged, which it appears to be, the purse wasn't a stupid idea.

Just praying Daphne is found.

Not many scenarios put a human death scent on a pillowcase and a trashcan e xcept suffocation of a human small enough to fit INTO a trashcan. IMO

Yk, ever since I read that they use placentas to train cadaver dogs, I've wondered if they'd hit on the bush in front of my dad's house where my son's placenta is buried, or inside the bathroom where I had a miscarriage. Or maybe the leach field where all that went....

Morbid, I know.

Anyway, back to the topic, we did throw away the container the placenta came home in, in the trash.

Sometimes I look at a family member that I am somewhat suspicious of, or that others are, and I think "That looks like one cold individual." This dad just does not seem that way to me. He takes care of a mother with dementia, and a toddler, he gives food and clothing to needy neighbors. I suppose there is the possibility of snapping under pressure. But I think, if he has any knowledge of what happened to his daughter, I think it might be just that...knowledge. If that is the case, I wish he would just give the information to LE, I don't think the consequences would be as horrible as he has imagined.

jmo

Sarx how can one tell that a FB page was created by family?

Good question. On this one I happened to verify it personally. But on others, that can be a lot harder. I wish more families would come out in the media and verify the FB pages, so people knew where to look. Through LE too.

Boy, Schmae, with the window of time we could be talking about, I don't even know where to start. I'm sorry to say, I do not think she is alive.

Boy, Schmae, with the window of time we could be talking about, I don't even know where to start. I'm sorry to say, I do not think she is alive.

:( ........ where could she be if she were or were not alive? Cadaver hits in the trash can makes me think the landfill or dump needs to be searched. Has dad had a poly ? Or do they not do a poly unless they call you a POI ?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back