CA CA - Daphne Webb, 21 mos, Oakland, 10 July 2013

True, in the case of your uncle, it's overwhelming, and well, you don't really need a dog to know what's gone on.

Finding out that someone died in a house can be really difficult, especially when foul play was not involved. Laws are different all over about disclosure on that issue.

Would it be nice to eliminate that? Absolutely. May not be as easy to actually do.

That does bring up an interesting question though. In how many cases has that been an issue? (Where a dog did in fact hit on decomp correctly, but the decomp was from a previous resident)

I'm interested in what the neighbor said - that since the mother went into rehab he hasn't heard the baby's voice. I realize why she went into rehab, but it sounds like she was decompensating if she could pass out in a car with the baby in the back seat. Did something happen that made her realize she had to get help? How could neighbors not hear the voice of that baby in all this time?

I wonder if Dad specifically called the estranged daughter at that specific time as a way to make everything he said "memorable"... she would remember everything he said, etc. And since they had not seen each other in a long time there would be no suspicion that she was in any way complicit in the baby's disappearance. If HE called her- why from a store?? After all this time.. why not when he was home and able to chat? If I wanted to talk to someone I had not seen or heard from in years.. I would not pick a convenience store while I grabbed an energy drink as the time to do it!
Now.. if he had left a message and she called him back at that time, well that is a different story. I wonder if he was setting up his alibi?

Oh I agree with that. I don't think the new owners things would smell like decomp.
I more wonder about the condo itself. He was dead in there for 5 days... it was UGLY.
The mortuary said "we cannot make him presentable for viewing."

I'm guessing that the headboard we removed, could get a hit for decomp later.
They plan to replace the carpet but he was in the bathtub.
I wondered about the walls, floor and bathtub really.
Almost everything had to be thrown away because it smelled so bad.

It happens more than we realize... people dying and not being found for a few days.
So while it might seem "really unlikely" I'm guessing it's more possible than we think.
Lucky for anyone who buys my Uncle's condo, I follow these cases!

I think it should be standard to eliminate a previous death in the home in these cases. :twocents:

Yes, it happens more than you realize. And, it is detrimental to the entire interior of at least the room they were in, depending on temperature and other conditions.

Possibly TMI but, the smell is organic and nearly impossible to remove from any soft surface including carpet. If you are lucky you can get away with painting the walls and recovering the floors but in many cases the subfloor must be removed and replaced. And, once you've been in there.....it takes about 2-3 days to get the smell out of your nose....even cigar smoke won't mask it.

ETA-there has been a death in my house but the body removed quickly (former owner) and also in my parent's house (dad-also removed quickly) the cottage we bought the wife had died in, and the one next door the gentleman died but wasn't found for a week (in July) the entire interior had to be gutted.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/loca...kland-Trails-for-Missing-Child-215444781.html

video at the link, and here's a brief quote:

"Search teams today were concentrating their efforts on a series of trails near the Webb home along Keller Avenue and Greenridge Drive, Oakland police spokeswoman Johnna Watson said.

A staging area has been established near an apartment building at 750 Canyon Oaks Drive, in Oakland."

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=9171737

"Webb says his wife, Kiana Webb, has been in a drug rehab program for almost three months, and she hasn't actually seen the child in two weeks. "

<snip>

" Webb says his wife was living on the streets with the baby which prompted a child protective services investigation. He admits there was a restraining order on his wife, and Daphne is missing part of her ear which was also part of the CPS investigation.

When asked if he could tell us how she lost that part of her ear, Webb said, "No I am not doing that on national TV. No, I am not doing that.
I just want my baby home." "

BBM, SBM, much more at link

"Webb says his wife, Kiana Webb, has been in a drug rehab program for almost three months, and she hasn't actually seen the child in two weeks. "

<snip>

" Webb says his wife was living on the streets with the baby which prompted a child protective services investigation. He admits there was a restraining order on his wife, and Daphne is missing part of her ear which was also part of the CPS investigation.

When asked if he could tell us how she lost that part of her ear, Webb said, "No I am not doing that on national TV. No, I am not doing that.

:( I don't think there is going to be a good outcome from this :(

I've read every post in this thread, but I can't seem to remember: has anyone besides mom seen the baby in the last three months? Could dad be covering for mom? Some horrible accident that prompted her to go into rehab?

If the mother is in a residential drug rehab program, wouldn't other people at the facility have seen the baby too?

<snip>

We really, really need a solid timeline. Dad's interview struck me as extremely disingenuous. His eyes were all over the place, but cast down. His tears were not real. And, moo, the way he responded to the reporters questions about mom was a subtle way of throwing her under the bus. "I'm not going to say that on national tv".

I dunno. Not getting a good feeling from this interview. Mom's been in treatment for three months, but hasn't seen the baby in two weeks. There is a CPS case--wish we could trust that a CPS worker make regular contact and had seen the baby.

Isn't there a missing baby in PA now too, where the mom is/was in rehab when Dad "lost" the child? Very strange.

You know, they said the grandmother is not able to assist in the case, but if she is verbal, I think the right person could interview her and see what comes of it. It's worth a shot.

I used to investigate abuse and maltreatment complaints in state-licensed facilities. I remember observing a forensic interview with a 64 yr-old, mildly mentally retarded, with early-onset dementia--they said it was one of the best interviews they could have hoped for. The staff person who abused her was disqualified from licensed work and criminally prosecuted, btw.

I really thought we would know more by now.Was mom in 'lockdown' in this rehab, or could she come and go?

I'm a little confused why dad says mom saw the baby two weeks ago (the Mark Klaas video upthread said that the mother's side of the family last saw the baby two weeks ago as well) but the neighbors say that they stopped hearing or seeing the baby a month ago or so.

You know, they said the grandmother is not able to assist in the case, but if she is verbal, I think the right person could interview her and see what comes of it. It's worth a shot.

I used to investigate abuse and maltreatment complaints in state-licensed facilities. I remember observing a forensic interview with a 64 yr-old, mildly mentally retarded, with early-onset dementia--they said it was one of the best interviews they could have hoped for. The staff person who abused her was disqualified from licensed work and criminally prosecuted, btw.

Agreed! I have a hard time thinking she can't provide any help whatsoever. I mean if nothing else, even if you're talking 3 year old mentality, you'd think she'd be able to give some information about her purse being stolen and her "baby" being taken. Maybe she can't, but I hope they've had the right person come in and talk to her to make absolutely sure.

<snip>

Whiskey
Tango
Foxtrot

WT-actual-F!!!!

We really, really need a solid timeline. Dad's interview struck me as extremely disingenuous. His eyes were all over the place, but cast down. His tears were not real. And, moo, the way he responded to the reporters questions about mom was a subtle way of throwing her under the bus. "I'm not going to say that on national tv".

I dunno. Not getting a good feeling from this interview. Mom's been in treatment for three months, but hasn't seen the baby in two weeks. There is a CPS case--wish we could trust that a CPS worker make regular contact and had seen the baby.

BBM - if the CPS worker knows there is a restraining/protective order against the offending parent, and the baby is residing with the non-offending parent, and (in this case) the offending parent is in a treatment program or otherwise in a place to not have access to the child, chances are that this is viewed as compliance, with one parent being protective, and the CPS case is closed. I would not anticipate that they would still be involved with this family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bessie22
Back