CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that this guy could be a schizophrenic. The crying for Mummy after committing some of the offences and the I hate you Bonnie comment. Then all the phone calls before and after the crimes. He also possibly may have stalked some of these victims in person before and after as well.

:cow:

JMO, but I don't think schizophrenia explains his actions and his behavior. Schizophrenics tend to be diagnosed in early adulthood because their behavior is so odd and disturbing that others notice it and try to get them help.

I've known three people with this diagnosis and all were diagnosed while in their early 20's because it was evident to all who knew them that something was very wrong. Schizophrenics exhibit disorganized and illogical thinking, paranoia (conspiracies that don't make any sense), delusions and at times, they hear voices. It is a horrible, horrible disease and even with medication, the three people I've known who have it have not been able to ever hold down a job.

My thoughts are that DeAngelo is a psychopath. He blended in and was able to hold down a job for almost 30 years. The people who were around him the most, his co-workers never suspected there was anything wrong with him. His actions in planning and executing his crimes were organized he was able to escape detection. He was also known for taking meticulous care of his lawn, by himself.

IMO, the only thing that explains him is psychopathy and that's not a mental illness. It's a personality disorder and his defense may try to claim mental illness, but I don't think that is going to fly.

That was some serious "china". Did you see the cost of it? That was my salary for a year in the early '70's.

He had been married 2 or 3 years only when these were taking place - they were still together in '89 (birth of youngest daughter).
I missed the price. I was doing two things at once and had only scanned the article. Now I wonder if he kept it. It wouldn't be easy to sell imo.
He married in the fall of 1973. Looks like the China was stolen in October 1978. Five year anniversary gift? It's a stretch but possible.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JMO, but I don't think schizophrenia explains his actions and his behavior. Schizophrenics tend to be diagnosed in early adulthood because their behavior is so odd and disturbing that others notice it and try to get them help.

I've known three people with this diagnosis and all were diagnosed while in their early 20's because it was evident to all who knew them that something was very wrong. Schizophrenics exhibit disorganized and illogical thinking, paranoia (conspiracies that don't make any sense), delusions and at times, they hear voices. It is a horrible, horrible disease and even with medication, the three people I've known who have it have not been able to ever hold down a job.

My thoughts are that DeAngelo is a psychopath. He blended in and was able to hold down a job for almost 30 years. The people who were around him the most, his co-workers never suspected there was anything wrong with him. His actions in planning and executing his crimes were organized he was able to escape detection. He was also known for taking meticulous care of his lawn, by himself.

IMO, the only thing that explains him is psychopathy and that's not a mental illness. It's a personality disorder and his defense may try to claim mental illness, but I don't think that is going to fly.

We don't know - he may have started in his early twenties. Its just the different voices, talking to Mummy, bursting into tears and crying - is that physchopathic behaviour? - I'm no expert but this guy (JJD) was in the military and LE for more than 10 years, his boss called him "an average joe, an average cop", his neighbours knew there was a nasty streak (e.g. the neighbours dog and some neighbours locking their back gate ) but apart from the swearing and talking to himself, he has had a seemingly normal home life raising 3 daughters.

My money is on psychopath, otherwise we should hear about his schrizophrenia really soon.

I missed the price. I was doing two things at once and had only scanned the article. Now I wonder if he kept it. It wouldn't be easy to sell imo.
He married in the fall of 1973. Looks like the China was stolen in October 1978. Five year anniversary gift? It's a stretch but possible.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The article said it had been purchased only 4 months earlier from Macy's for $1,172. It was a 14 piece/place? Noritake Polonaise china table service.

Honest question; why do you post so often about injustice collectors in various WS threads? Are most killers injustice collectors?

rsff

I always assume it is a self-promotion, of sorts. Like a book is being written or an article was written by the poster. It is usually just a cut and paste of the same long passage, not an actual conversation. Doesn't mean that's true, it has always just been what I thought. And I'm glad you mentioned it because I think the same thing every time LOL!

He can be prosecuted for the crime of kidnapping which he also committed during the commission of some of the rapes.

TY TR
kidnapping

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/Kidnapping.htm

Movementofthevictim. Some states require that the kidnapping victim must be moved for a substantial distance, though the actual distance required can be very minimal. For example, moving a victim from one house to another house across the street or from a car into a nearby structure is enough, though movement from one room of a house to another may not be. Other states do not require movement of the victim to charge an offender with kidnapping.

• Kidnappingdegrees. Some state laws separate kidnapping into offenses of different degrees or levels of severity. For example, a charge of first-degree kidnapping, sometimes known as aggravated kidnapping, usually requires that the accused kidnapper either physically harm, sexually assault, or expose the victim to serious risk of harm during the course of the kidnapping. A second-degree kidnapping does not involve sexual or violent assault, or exposing the victim to harm.

• Forceandthreats. In some states it isn't necessary for a person to use force to commit a kidnapping, while other states require that some force must be used before a confinement can be considered a kidnapping. Using the threat of violence or other threats that might instill fear is also considered a use of force.

I always assume it is a self-promotion, of sorts. Like a book is being written or an article was written by the poster. It is usually just a cut and paste of the same long passage, not an actual conversation. Doesn't mean that's true, it has always just been what I thought. And I'm glad you mentioned it because I think the same thing every time LOL!

Same to both your points. I have thought that and wondered as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TY TR
kidnapping

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/crime-penalties/federal/Kidnapping.htm

Movementofthevictim. Some states require that the kidnapping victim must be moved for a substantial distance, though the actual distance required can be very minimal. For example, moving a victim from one house to another house across the street or from a car into a nearby structure is enough, though movement from one room of a house to another may not be. Other states do not require movement of the victim to charge an offender with kidnapping.

• Kidnappingdegrees. Some state laws separate kidnapping into offenses of different degrees or levels of severity. For example, a charge of first-degree kidnapping, sometimes known as aggravated kidnapping, usually requires that the accused kidnapper either physically harm, sexually assault, or expose the victim to serious risk of harm during the course of the kidnapping. A second-degree kidnapping does not involve sexual or violent assault, or exposing the victim to harm.

• Forceandthreats. In some states it isn't necessary for a person to use force to commit a kidnapping, while other states require that some force must be used before a confinement can be considered a kidnapping. Using the threat of violence or other threats that might instill fear is also considered a use of force.
California statute is somewhat subjective. I believe that in a few of the offenses the victim was moved outside and in another off of the victim’s property.

Jury instructions.
Kidnapping: For Robbery, Rape, or Other Sex Offenses
(Pen. Code, § 209(b)

As used here, substantial distance means more than a slight or trivial
distance. The movement must have increased the risk of [physical or
psychological] harm to the person beyond that necessarily present in the
(robbery/ [or] rape/ [or] spousal rape/ [or] oral copulation/ [or] sodomy/
[or] sexual penetration/ [or] <insert other offense speci&#64257;ed
in statute>). In deciding whether the movement was sufficient, consider
all the circumstances relating to the movement.

https://www.justia.com/criminal/docs/calcrim/1200/1203/

He can be prosecuted for the crime of kidnapping which he also committed during the commission of some of the rapes.

What is the statute of limitations for kidnapping in CA? Google says 6 years.

MOO

What is the statute of limitations for kidnapping in CA? Google says 6 years.

MOO
The law was changed in 2017, I believe this is the old Statute that would apply. It looks like it's the same as the maximum penalty for the offense. It is also my understanding that kidnapping with the added enhancement of rape carries a maximum penalty of life. However, considering the complications created by the wording of the statute, and the fact that a murder convection looks like a slam dunk, I doubt DeAngelo will ever be charged with rape or kidnapping.

PENAL CODE - PEN
PART 2. OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE [681 - 1620]**( Part 2 enacted 1872. )
TITLE 3. ADDITIONAL PROVISIONS REGARDING CRIMINAL PROCEDURE [777 - 883]**( Heading of Title 3 amended by Stats. 1951, Ch. 1674. )

CHAPTER 2. Time of Commencing Criminal Actions [799 - 805]**( Chapter 2 repealed and added by Stats. 1984, Ch. 1270, Sec. 2. )
805.**
For the purpose of determining the applicable limitation of time pursuant to this chapter:
(a)*An offense is deemed punishable by the maximum punishment prescribed by statute for the offense, regardless of the punishment actually sought or imposed. Any enhancement of punishment prescribed by statute shall be disregarded in determining the maximum punishment prescribed by statute for an offense.
(b)*The limitation of time applicable to an offense that is necessarily included within a greater offense is the limitation of time applicable to the lesser included offense, regardless of the limitation of time applicable to the greater offense.
(Added by Stats. 1984, Ch. 1270, Sec. 2.)

The Sacramento County DA has already said they won’t be prosecuting the rapes due to the statute of limitations. Some of the other DAs are looking to see what they can do about the statute of limitations. On another note it looks like there may only be one trial. They are thinking of doing one joint prosecution all the murder cases and try him down in Southern California.

“He is expected to face charges in 12 homicide cases in Sacramento, Orange, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties stemming from a rape and slaying spree that authorities say stretched from 1974 through May 1986.

DeAngelo faces arraignment in Sacramento Superior Court on Friday, but authorities still must determine where he ultimately will stand trial and whether he faces death penalty prosecutions. Some of the murders were committed at a time when the death penalty had been ruled unconstitutional, but others are eligible.

Schubert said she wants to meet with prosecutors from the counties where DeAngelo is suspected of murders and plan a joint prosecution similar to that used in the Luis Bracamontes cop-killing trial that ended with a death penalty sentence on Wednesday.

Bracamontes killed deputies in Sacramento and Placer counties in 2014, and was jointly prosecuted in Sacramento by Rod Norgaard from Schubert's office and Dave Tellman from the Placer DA's office.

"It makes sense to do it in one county," she said, adding that the case could be moved to Southern California because 10 of the 12 murder victims were killed there.

"The majority of the murders happened down in Southern California, so I'm comfortable with wherever it's going to be as long as everybody gets to be a participant," she said.

Prosecutors also must grapple with whether to file rape charges against DeAngelo because for many cases the statute of limitations has expired.

Sacramento prosecutors do not currently plan to file such charges. In Santa Clara County, where the East Area Rapist was linked to two rapes in San Jose in 1978, the district attorney's office said it would not seek to prosecute DeAngelo because the statute of limitations had expired.

But other jurisdictions are considering it, including Yolo County, where authorities said Thursday they are investigating three rapes in Davis nearly 40 years ago they suspect were committed by DeAngelo.

Yolo County District Attorney Jeff Reisig indicated in a written statement he would seek to prosecute DeAngelo in connection with the Davis attacks, the first prosecutor in the state to announce such plans.

Reisig said his office would work with Schubert, the FBI and Davis police “to solve the Davis rapes, vigorously prosecute the rapist and achieve some sense of justice for the victims, family members and the Davis community.”

Contra Costa County's district attorney is working with police agencies there to investigate whether DeAngelo committed nine sexual assaults in that county between 1978 and 1979, DA spokesman Scott Alonso said.

Alonso said the statute of limitations may present a challenge. He said the office is evaluating cases with the county sheriff and police in Concord, Danville and Walnut Creek, where attacks linked to the East Area Rapist occurred.

"I think we're very interested in pursuing justice for the victims in these cases and pursue what we can file under the statute of limitations," Alonso said. "We want to see justice for these terrible crimes."”

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article209913514.html#storylink=cpy

I'm certainly not an expert, but I have a sister and a nephew with schizophrenia. It's absolutely not something that can be turned on and off--as in display it during his crimes, but then show up and work a regular shift with no problems. There's problems. There may be other things going on with him, but I'm voting no on the schizophrenia.

And a comment about the set of china--I find that totally odd. All the stories talk about him running off, stealing a bike to leave and suddenly he's hauling away sets of china? Wouldn't that have been really easy to notice by witnesses? Not saying it wasn't possible, but seems out of character for all the info given. The mementos--class rings, etc.--yes, I could see, and I'm hopeful that maybe he kept some and they were found in his house.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I have a sister and a nephew with schizophrenia. It's absolutely not something that can be turned on and off--as in display it during his crimes, but then show up and work a regular shift with no problems. There's problems. There may be other things going on with him, but I'm voting no on the schizophrenia.

And a comment about the set of china--I find that totally odd. All the stories talk about him running off, stealing a bike to leave and suddenly he's hauling away sets of china? Wouldn't that have been really easy to notice by witnesses? Not saying it wasn't possible, but seems out of character for all the info given. The mementos--class rings, etc.--yes, I could see, and I'm hopeful that maybe he kept some and they were found in his house.

It's a calculated act or drug-induced psychosis or a psychotic break. My vote still goes for psychopath.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I have a sister and a nephew with schizophrenia. It's absolutely not something that can be turned on and off--as in display it during his crimes, but then show up and work a regular shift with no problems. There's problems. There may be other things going on with him, but I'm voting no on the schizophrenia.And a comment about the set of china--I find that totally odd. All the stories talk about him running off, stealing a bike to leave and suddenly he's hauling away sets of china? Wouldn't that have been really easy to notice by witnesses? Not saying it wasn't possible, but seems out of character for all the info given. The mementos--class rings, etc.--yes, I could see, and I'm hopeful that maybe he kept some and they were found in his house.
Could JJ DeAngelo have removed the china sometime before or after the attack? Either way (before, during or after), it does seem like it makes it more likely someone would see him. Edited to add a question: Could he have used the stolen dishes in his following crimes? Perhaps it somehow enriched his rituals (placing china on his victims to alert GSK to movement)??

I believe DeAngelo purposely complicated the investigation by exhibiting known symptoms of schizophrenia. The one instance where he may have slipped was the utterance of Bonnie, although, I&#8217;ve read that the victim that reported hearing him say &#8220;Bonnie&#8221; may have misinterpreted Mommy for Bonnie, which would be an odd coincidence considering that there actually was a Bonnie in DeAngelo&#8217;s past.

I believe DeAngelo purposely complicated the investigation by exhibiting known symptoms of schizophrenia. The one instance where he may have slipped was the utterance of Bonnie, although, I’ve read that the victim that reported hearing him say “Bonnie” may have misinterpreted Mommy for Bonnie, which would be an odd coincidence considering that there actually was a Bonnie in DeAngelo’s past.

re: I hate you Bonnie, Mommy, etc...
I do wonder if it was all part of his act during his crimes. It may not be deep seeded anger that drove him at all. Could just be that he wanted his victims to think he was coming unhinged.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member