CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #5

Tuesday, August 18th:
*Sentencing Hearing (Day 2 of 4) (@ 9am PT) - CA - Katie (20) & Brian (21) Maggiore (Feb. 2, 1978 in Rancho Cordova) - *Joseph James DeAngelo (29 @ time of crime/73/now 74) (East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer) - arrested (4/24/18) & formally charged (4/27/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special enhancements for burglary and rape; did not enter plea. Judge entered a not guilty plea (1/22/20). No bond. Plead guilty to a peal deal (6/15/20). Sacramento County.
Relative's (Great-great-great grandfather’s) DNA from genealogy website (GEDMatch).
8/22/18 Update: amended complaint also includes 13 new charges of kidnapping to commit robbery, with sentencing enhancements for using a firearm and a knife during those alleged crimes. Nine in Sacramento & four in Contra Costa County-stemming from sexual assaults. No bond.
4/27/18 Update: charged in Ventura County of 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances for being a double homicide in the deaths of Charlene (33) & Lyman (43) Smith on 3/13/80 in Ventura. No bond.
5/10/18 Update: charged in Santa Barbara County of the 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances, where investigators believe he killed Dr. Robert Offerman (44) & Dr. Debra Alexandria Manning (35) on December 30, 1979 and Cheri Domingo (35) & Gregory Sanchez (27) on July 27, 1981, all in Goleta. Each carries a possible sentence of death or life in prison without parole. No bond.
5/11/18 Update: charged in Orange County with 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances. Patrice Harrington (28) & Keith Harrington (24) on 8/19/80 in Dana Point and Manuela Witthuhn (21) on 2/26/81 in Irvine & Janelle Lisa Cruz (18) on 5/4/86 in Irvine. No bond.
8/13/18 Update: charged in Tulare County with 1 count of 1st degree murder with use of a firearm in the death of Claude Snelling (45) (Sept. 11, 1975) in Visalia. No bond.
Trial was set to begin on 5/12/20 has been cancelled due to the coronavirus. Plead guilty to ALL 72 counts.
Court hearings from 5/2/18 to 6/29/20 (guilty pleas) reference post #158 here:
CA - CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #5

Now that the Golden State Killer has entered guilty pleas to all 72 counts, one of the final steps in the State of California’s case against DeAngelo is the sentencing phase. Victims will be allowed to give impact statements. Judge Michael Bowman has promised that there will be no limitations of “time or content” on these statements. In a process that’s expected to last several days, victims and/or their surviving family members will have an opportunity to deliver these statements directly to the court.
There’s also the matter of financial restitution to the victims. That amount has not yet been determined. Also, as a part of the plea deal, DeAngelo has waived all appellate rights. After sentencing, the criminal case against DeAngelo for these particular crimes will largely be settled. Sentencing the week of 8/17/20.

8/17/20 Day 1 of sentencing: Prosecutors say serial killer DeAngelo is faking extreme frailty ahead of his Friday sentencing, but their plea to unseal recent videos of JJD in his cell, taken at different days 7 times, to show he was agile and nimble and able to express remorse if he so wanted; he's not the practically comatose potato he pretends to be in court. The judge sided with the defense and said there was no reason to introduce these videos since JJD already pleaded guilty and his agility in his cell or expressing remorse doesn't matter since he pled guilty, this is sentencing, and he'll be in prison for life with no appeals or parole. Prosecutors said then that he acknowledged a total of 161 crimes involving 48 people. In a court filing made public Monday, they said he harmed 87 victims — an increase in the number of victims previously cited. The higher figure includes victims of crimes that DeAngelo did not publicly admit. Testimony from DeAngelo’s rape victims in Sacramento County alone will consume a full day. Other rape victims will speak Wednesday, and family members of those murdered will speak Thursday before Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Michael Bowman formally sentences DeAngelo on Friday. Sentencing continues on 8/18/20.

Horrible thought occurred to me, that the son-of-a gun might actually enjoy hearing his victims recount the pain, destruction and ruined lives caused by him.
imo. rbbm.
Golden State Killer: survivors prepare to speak out at Joseph DeAngelo's sentencing
''Joseph DeAngelo typically crept into his victims’ homes under the cover of night. This week, he will face them in the light of a Sacramento courthouse.

Beginning on Tuesday, dozens of women and men will speak over three days about the trauma of surviving the crimes committed by DeAngelo, better known as the Golden State Killer, who terrorized California during the 1970s. Survivors say the violence prompted moves, divorces and left them with an unshakeable fear, but also a desire to help those with similar experiences.''

HOWEVER...
“You didn’t win, DeAngelo. You didn’t. What you tried to do, what you set out to do, you failed,” Pedretti said.

Will DeAngelo, who some law enforcement say has feigned frailty to garner sympathy, absorb what they have to say? Some of the survivors say it doesn’t make a difference. “The victim impact statements are actually for us – they’re for the victim,” Hardwick said. “I don’t feel anything I say will have any impact on Joseph DeAngelo. I don’t view him as someone capable of normal human reactions and feelings.”

DeAngelo will not react, will not care, will not feel remorse other than for himself. He has no conscience. Expecting or hoping for a psychopathic monster to not be exactly what he is...a psychopathic monster...is futile. IMO

Here's an alternative live stream link if the one above isn't the correct one:

Law and Crime Network on Youtube
(//youtu.be/gAO2ryoECOw) <-- add https: to the beginning of the address if you want to open the link in a new browser window.

Horrible thought occurred to me, that the son-of-a gun might actually enjoy hearing his victims recount the pain, destruction and ruined lives caused by him.
imo. rbbm.
Golden State Killer: survivors prepare to speak out at Joseph DeAngelo's sentencing
''Joseph DeAngelo typically crept into his victims’ homes under the cover of night. This week, he will face them in the light of a Sacramento courthouse.

Beginning on Tuesday, dozens of women and men will speak over three days about the trauma of surviving the crimes committed by DeAngelo, better known as the Golden State Killer, who terrorized California during the 1970s. Survivors say the violence prompted moves, divorces and left them with an unshakeable fear, but also a desire to help those with similar experiences.''

HOWEVER...
“You didn’t win, DeAngelo. You didn’t. What you tried to do, what you set out to do, you failed,” Pedretti said.

Will DeAngelo, who some law enforcement say has feigned frailty to garner sympathy, absorb what they have to say? Some of the survivors say it doesn’t make a difference. “The victim impact statements are actually for us – they’re for the victim,” Hardwick said. “I don’t feel anything I say will have any impact on Joseph DeAngelo. I don’t view him as someone capable of normal human reactions and feelings.”
Pedretti is wrong.
DeAngelo won. Now he's lifer and he's gonna die in prison but he spent all his life walking free on the streets.
Being in prison in your 40s is not like being in prison when you're 70 years old.
End of the story: he won....(unfortunately)

I would think "winning" would be never ever getting caught. Not at age 72, not ever.

It's tragic that DNA didn't exist back in the 1970s, that familial DNA databases didn't exist before they did, that the technology didn't happen faster than it did, that the people who knew JJD or were his superiors didn't think his behavior was strange or menacing enough to investigate him. Hindsight is 20/20.

Maybe he'll "enjoy" being locked in a cage, possibly up to as many as 23 hours a day, maybe he'll "enjoy" the prison gruel. The state can't kill him, but maybe an inmate near him will, some day. There's nothing else that can be done at this point. No one can crawl into the wayback machine and change the decades, the reality can't be changed. I personally don't think getting caught (roast in oven, as it were), being unmasked to your own family, being known by your name to everyone in the world as a monster is "winning," but I guess everyone has their own definition of what a winner is.

IMO

I would think "winning" would be never ever getting caught. Not at age 72, not ever.

It's tragic that DNA didn't exist back in the 1970s, that familial DNA databases didn't exist before they did, that the technology didn't happen faster than it did, that the people who knew JJD or were his superiors didn't think his behavior was strange or menacing enough to investigate him. Hindsight is 20/20.

Maybe he'll "enjoy" being locked in a cage, possibly up to as many as 23 hours a day, maybe he'll "enjoy" the prison gruel. The state can't kill him, but maybe an inmate near him will, some day. There's nothing else that can be done at this point. No one can crawl into the wayback machine and change the decades, the reality can't be changed. I personally don't think getting caught (roast in oven, as it were), being unmasked to your own family, being known by your name to everyone in the world as a monster is "winning," but I guess everyone has their own definition of what a winner is.

IMO
Of course the "real winning" for him would be never ever getting caught, as you already said. I agree.
Anyways what happens to him is, in my opinion, some kind of winning:
1) in theory he deserved lethal injection but he got life because California had de facto abolished the capital punishment and prosecutors made a smart agreement with his attorneys (first victory);
2) you said he's now locked in his cell 23 hours per day. True. But he's 72, some old people spend all the day 24hours at home without going out. If he were 32 it would be a REAL tragedy for him;
3) some inmate could kill him...well...as far as I know murders in prison are sporadic (at least in developed countries like ours);
4) honestly Madeleine74 do you really think this man care about other people's opinion? He doesn't give a damn about being unmasked as a serial killer, a maniac (and unbelievably this is his only good personality trait, because nobody should care about what the others think about them)!

Last edited:
We know he liked being outdoors a lot. Avid fisherman, had his own boat, he liked to ride his motorcycle fast and aggressively--he was witnessed doing this just a few days before he got arrested. He enjoyed working in his yard, working on engines. So this was not a couch potato watching TV all day long. Those activities are gone forever.

I agree he deserved the death penalty and nothing less. Had he gotten sentenced to death, he'd never be executed since there's a line of at least 700 condemned people in front of him. So he'd live on death row in SQ, but he'd die of natural causes.

Omg i have never seen such a thing! I know how he was able to be in yards undetected. He literally did not move! He looked like a statue or weekend at bernies. I looked at every person you coukd see on video and every one had some movement. He didn't even look like he blinked!!!!! He's no frail and feeble being. He is in full and complete control. I also think he enjoyed hearing about what his crimes did and reliving the details he probably forgot. He is siiiiiiiiick and terrifying. Im glad they kept bringing up his small penis. That might be the only thing that got to him. Though he didn't show it.

Wednesday, August 19th:
*Sentencing Hearing (Day 3 of 4) (@ 9am PT) - CA - Katie (20) & Brian (21) Maggiore (Feb. 2, 1978 in Rancho Cordova) - *Joseph James DeAngelo (29 @ time of crime/73/now 74) (East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer) - arrested (4/24/18) & formally charged (4/27/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special enhancements for burglary and rape; did not enter plea. Judge entered a not guilty plea (1/22/20). No bond. Plead guilty to a peal deal (6/15/20). Sacramento County.
Relative's (Great-great-great grandfather’s) DNA from genealogy website (GEDMatch).
8/22/18 Update: amended complaint also includes 13 new charges of kidnapping to commit robbery, with sentencing enhancements for using a firearm and a knife during those alleged crimes. Nine in Sacramento & four in Contra Costa County-stemming from sexual assaults. No bond.
4/27/18 Update: charged in Ventura County of 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances for being a double homicide in the deaths of Charlene (33) & Lyman (43) Smith on 3/13/80 in Ventura. No bond.
5/10/18 Update: charged in Santa Barbara County of the 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances, where investigators believe he killed Dr. Robert Offerman (44) & Dr. Debra Alexandria Manning (35) on December 30, 1979 and Cheri Domingo (35) & Gregory Sanchez (27) on July 27, 1981, all in Goleta. Each carries a possible sentence of death or life in prison without parole. No bond.
5/11/18 Update: charged in Orange County with 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances. Patrice Harrington (28) & Keith Harrington (24) on 8/19/80 in Dana Point and Manuela Witthuhn (21) on 2/26/81 in Irvine & Janelle Lisa Cruz (18) on 5/4/86 in Irvine. No bond.
8/13/18 Update: charged in Tulare County with 1 count of 1st degree murder with use of a firearm in the death of Claude Snelling (45) (Sept. 11, 1975) in Visalia. No bond.
Trial was set to begin on 5/12/20 has been cancelled due to the coronavirus. Plead guilty to ALL 72 counts.
Court hearings from 5/2/18 to 6/29/20 (guilty pleas) & Sentencing Days 1 (8/17/20) of sentencing reference post #172 here:

8/18/20 Day 2 of sentencing: The rape survivors were the first given the opportunity for victim impact statements. DeAngelo's first victim, known as Jane Doe #1, was ill & could not make it to court. Her sister, Karen Veilleux, read the statement of behalf of her sister, who was 22 at the time. Pedretti, another survivor, shared how her parents wouldn't let her talk about the rape & that brought guilt & shame. Over the years she has understood that it's the rapist who should carry those feelings, Pedretti said. Sharing this message has become a focus for her as she helps other sexual assault survivors navigate life, she said. Former Sacramento County Sheriff's detective Carol Daly, an original investigator of the East Area Rapist, read a statement on behalf of one survivor as the woman stood by staring at DeAngelo. Afterwards, the judge thanked Daly for her dedication to the case. Tuesday's statements underlined the impact the attacks had on the survivors' families too. The daughter of a woman who was raped on Sept. 4, 1976, said she was a child when it happened. It quickly changed their relationship and she had to become her mother's mother, she said. As she spoke she paused & looked up from her paper, staring at DeAngelo. She gave the man the middle finger after ending her speech. Pete Schultze was sleeping in bed with his mother & 5-year-old sister when DeAngelo forced his way into their home in October 1976. His mother, Wini Schultze, will not be known as "Jane Doe #22," he said. Her courage to live through the experience & the bravery she showed in the years afterwards deserved more than that, he said. Victim impact statements were expected to continue at 9 a.m. Wednesday, 8/19/20.

I hope his wife speaks to LE in private (as she deserves to be a private citizen until or unless she chooses to speak publicly) as she is one of an extremely small group of people who has lived with a prolific serial rapist/killer before his spree, during his spree and post his spree. She has enormous information which could aid LE in how he behaved pre an attack and post an attack, how did he explain away his nights away from home when he was active, I do believe much of his stalking was done when he was on the police clock but the attacks had to have been outside of work hours as he could not be out of radio contact for as long as some attacks.

This sentencing hearing must be so painful and horrifying to his whole family especially his daughters, as up until a few years ago he was just dad, and we do not have very much information as to how he was as a father or if he was close to his girls.

We know he liked being outdoors a lot. Avid fisherman, had his own boat, he liked to ride his motorcycle fast and aggressively--he was witnessed doing this just a few days before he got arrested. He enjoyed working in his yard, working on engines. So this was not a couch potato watching TV all day long. Those activities are gone forever.

I agree he deserved the death penalty and nothing less. Had he gotten sentenced to death, he'd never be executed since there's a line of at least 700 condemned people in front of him. So he'd live on death row in SQ, but he'd die of natural causes.
I confess I didn't know anything about his "outdoor activities" o_O
Anyways being sentenced to death would have been an entire lifetime in San Quentin (which is one of the worst Californian prison...maybe the worst one)

Omg i have never seen such a thing! I know how he was able to be in yards undetected. He literally did not move! He looked like a statue or weekend at bernies. I looked at every person you coukd see on video and every one had some movement. He didn't even look like he blinked!!!!! He's no frail and feeble being. He is in full and complete control. I also think he enjoyed hearing about what his crimes did and reliving the details he probably forgot. He is siiiiiiiiick and terrifying. Im glad they kept bringing up his small penis. That might be the only thing that got to him. Though he didn't show it.
Prolly he's not a living human anymore.
He looks like a zombie from a Romero's movie

Anyways being sentenced to death would have been an entire lifetime in San Quentin (which is one of the worst Californian prison...maybe the worst one)

Some of his victims, in their statements to the court yesterday and today, requested that the killer be sent to Pelican Bay Prison, a super max prison that's as far away from all of them as is possible to get. They said they want him to go there, apparently it's a very difficult life in that prison. None of them requested for him to be housed at San Quentin.

Last edited:
DeAngelo is totally faking his courtroom demeanor. He's agile and spry and perfectly capable of exercising, which he apparently does in his cell every day, he speaks outside of court, and he is not the catatonic spud potato he presents himself publicly.

His victims have called out his faking a few times, as has the prosecution team. There is nothing wrong with him, and the victims keep emphasizing to not take his bait on that. He's a poser and his game is likely to try and get sent to the medical ward of whatever prison he goes to, appearing like a feeble, confused old man. Statements have been put into his file to the contrary.

Thursday, August 20th:
Sentencing Hearing (Day 4 of 4) (@ 9am PT) - CA - Katie (20) & Brian (21) Maggiore (Feb. 2, 1978 in Rancho Cordova) - *Joseph James DeAngelo (29 @ time of crime/73/now 74) (East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer) - arrested (4/24/18) & formally charged (4/27/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special enhancements for burglary and rape; did not enter plea. Judge entered a not guilty plea (1/22/20). No bond. Plead guilty to a peal deal (6/15/20). Sacramento County.
Court hearings from 5/2/18 to 6/29/20 (guilty pleas) & Sentencing Days 1-3 (8/17/20 & 8/19/20) of sentencing reference post #181 here:

8/19/20 Day 3 of sentencing: In a continuation of Tuesday's victim impact statements, victims & survivors again taunted DeAngelo on Wednesday. They addressed him as "weak" and "powerless" and "worthless scum." Some of his victims, in their statements to the court yesterday and today, requested that the killer be sent to Pelican Bay Prison, a super max prison that's as far away from all of them as is possible to get. They said they want him to go there, apparently it's a very difficult life in that prison. None of them requested for him to be housed at San Quentin. Bowman is expected to give a sentence to DeAngelo on Friday. He is expected to give the serial killer life behind bars without parole. Sentencing continues on 8/20 @ 9am.

Niner,
Thank you for your great recaps. You are such a wonderful member of Websleuths and we all appreciate your hard work.
Today August 20th Debbi Domingo McMullan gives her statement. I have started a thread to wish her well on Facebook. Feel free to comment.
Tricia Arrington Griffith

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back