CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #5

Totally unconfirmed but elsewhere I saw a mention that he was a stay at home dad who ran a car repair business out of his garage. That makes sense if you consider that Save-Mart wasn't going to hire a truck mechanic who had no background in the field and otherwise was a fired police officer from a full decade earlier.

However, if he did run a repair shop out of his garage then you would think a neighbor or former neighbor would have come forward with the information. It would have been well known.

I guess there's also the possibility the home garage could have been elsewhere (Southern California?), and not the Citrus Heights home, even though he apparently owned the Citrus Heights residence throughout the '80s. I think I remember it was purchased in April 1980.

I really believe we're going to learn about a lot more crimes from this man. I am just not convinced a man so cruel and out of control would settle calmly into fatherhood and caregiving for children when he had been living such a double life. Especially given his wife's surging law career. If he was put in a position where he managed the home instead of her, I can't imagine a man with this degree of hatred toward women would shrug and admit defeat. This period had to include more crimes that just have not been connected yet. As far as I'm concerned, the entire state of California should run checks against his DNA against homicides involving robbery. For someone who struck once a month just about, there's no telling how many victims he really has.

I really believe we're going to learn about a lot more crimes from this man. I am just not convinced a man so cruel and out of control would settle calmly into fatherhood and caregiving for children when he had been living such a double life. Especially given his wife's surging law career. If he was put in a position where he managed the home instead of her, I can't imagine a man with this degree of hatred toward women would shrug and admit defeat. This period had to include more crimes that just have not been connected yet. As far as I'm concerned, the entire state of California should run checks against his DNA against homicides involving robbery. For someone who struck once a month just about, there's no telling how many victims he really has.

I agree , yet on the other hand I have been contemplating why he stopped killing
(if indeed he did stop)

My thinking was after having 3 daughters of his own maybe he stopped hating women so much .... I found a quote (link below) that says:

"""""" Sharon Huddle and Joseph DeAngelo have three children together, all daughters, according to a family member’s obituary. His first daughter was born in September 1981, his second daughter was born in November 1986 and his third daughter was born in May 1989. Authorities allege the serial killer’s murders stopped in 1986, although it’s not clear why. """"""

However according to his neighbors during the 1980's he still had anger issues .... and over the fence they could hear continuous cussing worse than a drunken sailor .... so obviously he was still "not normal"

This link has more about his family , marriage , parents , etc:

Joseph James DeAngelo’s Family: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

I agree , yet on the other hand I have been contemplating why he stopped killing
(if indeed he did stop)

My thinking was after having 3 daughters of his own maybe he stopped hating women so much .... I found a quote (link below) that says:

"""""" Sharon Huddle and Joseph DeAngelo have three children together, all daughters, according to a family member’s obituary. His first daughter was born in September 1981, his second daughter was born in November 1986 and his third daughter was born in May 1989. Authorities allege the serial killer’s murders stopped in 1986, although it’s not clear why. """"""

However according to his neighbors during the 1980's he still had anger issues .... and over the fence they could hear continuous cussing worse than a drunken sailor .... so obviously he was still "not normal"

This link has more about his family , marriage , parents , etc:

Joseph James DeAngelo’s Family: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

I read a really good Los Angles Times profile on him. Very long and thorough. Acquired a lot of that information from there about his family life. The biggest details that stood out were his college lies to his first girlfriend Bonnie, his hunting and trespassing during college, the way he began his nighttime window snooping with Bonnie, his lost police job and the timeline alongside his wife's law career, the note that they slept in separate bedrooms, the details about their daughters' births, and the fact that she didn't pursue a divorce from him despite being _a divorce lawyer_. Based on timelines, it seems he committed two attacks during the months that his wife was pregnant with first (1981) and second (1986) daughters. The fact that he committed attacks shortly before the births of his daughters almost feels significant, like it was a response to the pregnancies more than anything. No linked attacks after 1986.

In 1986 he would have been I think 41. I just don't believe that he lost interest, suddenly cared for women, or felt more fulfilled as a dad. That being said, I'm going to hope that was the case. I would hate to learn that he picked some other town in NoCal or CentralCal or SoCal and we just don't know about the connection yet. The fact that they've recently collected more samples from him to do additional testing makes me think they have suspicions.

I doubt he got fulfilled in a normal relationship. Having a wife & kids just helped blend in better. His kick was got from control & forcing his way. As more have pointed out when one hits 40 one is not as agile on ones feet & he had close calls. I would be surprised if stopped prowling as this was a big kick & there was no controls to prevent it other than his reduced schedule of availability by nightime working.

Totally unconfirmed but elsewhere I saw a mention that he was a stay at home dad who ran a car repair business out of his garage. That makes sense if you consider that Save-Mart wasn't going to hire a truck mechanic who had no background in the field and otherwise was a fired police officer from a full decade earlier.

However, if he did run a repair shop out of his garage then you would think a neighbor or former neighbor would have come forward with the information. It would have been well known.

I guess there's also the possibility the home garage could have been elsewhere (Southern California?), and not the Citrus Heights home, even though he apparently owned the Citrus Heights residence throughout the '80s. I think I remember it was purchased in April 1980.
I understand from reading his background he had some qualification in electronics but did not pursue a career in it. It would seem he got a serviceman's course or funded course in automobile mechanics after been fired form the police. This prob accounts how he got into this.

I doubt he got fulfilled in a normal relationship. Having a wife & kids just helped blend in better. His kick was got from control & forcing his way. As more have pointed out when one hits 40 one is not as agile on ones feet & he had close calls. I would be surprised if stopped prowling as this was a big kick & there was no controls to prevent it other than his reduced schedule of availability by nightime working.

Whether Murder Accountability Project is wholly reliable or not as data, a range of CA counties from 1987-2000 show a real surge from 91-95 of homicides associated with gun/blunt force trauma/strangulation involving either rape/burglary/undetermined circumstances. Remove gun and undetermined circumstances and leave it to rape/burglary homicides and it's still really high numbers that drop down toward the later 90s. You never know? Does anyone think he might have gotten into strangulation as he knew changing his MO was important and made that decision?

Whether Murder Accountability Project is wholly reliable or not as data, a range of CA counties from 1987-2000 show a real surge from 91-95 of homicides associated with gun/blunt force trauma/strangulation involving either rape/burglary/undetermined circumstances. Remove gun and undetermined circumstances and leave it to rape/burglary homicides and it's still really high numbers that drop down toward the later 90s. You never know? Does anyone think he might have gotten into strangulation as he knew changing his MO was important and made that decision?

rbbm.
Why former FBI agent thinks 'Golden State Killer' suspect fits the serial killer profile
By Emily Shapiro
27 April 2018
''Garrett said the crime spree likely moved from Sacramento County in Northern California down to Orange County in the southern part of the state because "serial killers watch the media. They see what the police are doing and they tend to adjust."

''Garrett said that also accounts for why the "Golden State Killer"'s modus operandi changed: for example, sometimes he used a gun, while other times he killed by blunt force trauma.''

''While the "Golden State Killer"'s crime spree spans from 1976 to 1986, Garrett said it's likely he committed crimes after 1986.''

Garrett said he thinks it's important for investigators to look at DNA connected to outstanding sexual assault cases throughout California, adding the "Golden State Killer" may have changed his MO after 1986.

May 4 2020
New Documentary Recounts Michelle McNamara's Attempt to Catch the Golden State Killer
GSK2.jpg

Shutterstock (2)
''True-crime writer Michelle McNamara died of an accidental overdose on April 21st, 2016 — two years before the source of her obsession, the Golden State Killer, was arrested. Her drive to discover the identity of the prolific serial killer/rapist is captured in the upcoming six-part HBO documentary, I’ll Be Gone in the Dark, out June 28th. The doc shares a name with McNamara’s book, published posthumously in February 2018.

“I just obsessed over it,” McNamara says in a new teaser. “What drives me is the need to put a face on an unknown killer.”

''McNarama played amateur sleuth for years — haunted by a murder in her own childhood — delving into the history of the killer and those who tracked him, such as retired detective Paul Holes, who also appears in the doc. “She had material that other investigators had never seen,” he says in the teaser.''

Joseph DeAngelo's wife's brother, James Huddle, has written a book to be released on June 30th, called Killers Keep Secrets: The Golden State Killer's Other Life. He talks about things he saw over the years that, looking back, were red flags--if he'd been looking for any.

The book looks like it would be interesting--I've already reserved my copy.

https://www.amazon.com/Killers-Keep..._1_53?dchild=1&qid=1591998037&s=books&sr=1-53

Joseph DeAngelo's wife's brother, James Huddle, has written a book to be released on June 30th, called Killers Keep Secrets: The Golden State Killer's Other Life. He talks about things he saw over the years that, looking back, were red flags--if he'd been looking for any.

The book looks like it would be interesting--I've already reserved my copy.

https://www.amazon.com/Killers-Keep..._1_53?dchild=1&qid=1591998037&s=books&sr=1-53
Oh man. I wonder what's in that. Honestly, the wife and children must have the most interesting story. Surely the wife knew something was off about him. I'm still wanting to know why she didn't follow through on divorce from him if she was a divorce lawyer and they'd been split up for years. Did she know? Did he threaten her? Things I wonder.

Lawyers in the [URL='https://www.sacbee.com/news/article209779364.html']Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist case believe they have reached a deal under which suspect Joseph James DeAngelo Jr. will plead guilty to 88 murder, rape and other charges at a June 29 hearing and avoid a death penalty trial with a life sentence imposed instead, four sources have told The Sacramento Bee.

Details of the agreement, which has not been formalized in court documents filed in the case, still are being worked out, as is the final decision on where the hearing will take place.

Hearings in the case to date have been held in a cramped courtroom on the first floor of the Sacramento County Main Jail that can accommodate only several dozen people.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article243547517.html#storylink=cpy

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article243547517.html[/URL]

rbbm.
Golden State Killer suspect agrees to guilty plea in a deal that spares him death penalty
''Many sources who were notified about the legal arrangement said they were specifically required to not disclose the deal to the media. Nor are any legal motions outlining the plea deal required to be filed in court prior to the June 29 court date.

Sources said DeAngelo has also agreed to admit to scores of crimes for which he is not charged, including rapes, for which the statute of limitations has expired.''

“It’s pragmatic. This makes sense. It is efficient. It is cost-effective. It is ultimately where we were going to end,” said Jennifer Carole, whose father, Lyman Smith, was among those murdered.

But Carole has been in tears since learning there will be no chance to see DeAngelo face evidence against him in court. “So what is justice for that? I’m sitting with that [question] every damn day,” she said.

“It’s a step forward ... but it’s not what I was hoping for,” said Kris Pedretti, one of the earliest victims who was 15 when she raped in 1976.

“I already know he raped me, that he was guilty,” Pedretti said, “but my deeper feeling is, ‘Why?’ What is so important that he does not want shown in trial that he is willing to do this?...What is it that he doesn’t want to be known?”

“I’m grateful he’s been caught, but the fact of the matter is he’s already lived a full life,” said Victor Hayes, who was 21 when he and his 17-year-old girlfriend were attacked while in bed one night in September 1977, in a suburb east of Sacramento.''

Lawyers in the Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist case believe they have reached a deal under which suspect Joseph James DeAngelo Jr. will plead guilty to 88 murder, rape and other charges at a June 29 hearing and avoid a death penalty trial with a life sentence imposed instead, four sources have told The Sacramento Bee.

Details of the agreement, which has not been formalized in court documents filed in the case, still are being worked out, as is the final decision on where the hearing will take place.

Hearings in the case to date have been held
in a cramped courtroom on the first floor of the Sacramento County Main Jail that can accommodate only several dozen people.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article243547517.html#storylink=cpy

https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article243547517.html
Wow! Big development!

So, MOO, basically he wins. He was going to be in prison for the rest of his life anyway, but now he's taken back his control. No answers, no apologies, and for some, no closure.

Some were posting elsewhere that they were disappointed that he wasn't going to get the death penalty, but I assume that they weren't in California and didn't realize that the dp here is in name only and only determines which prison he'd be in until he died of old age.

I'm still looking forward to reading the new book coming out in a few weeks.

So, MOO, basically he wins. He was going to be in prison for the rest of his life anyway, but now he's taken back his control. No answers, no apologies, and for some, no closure.

Some were posting elsewhere that they were disappointed that he wasn't going to get the death penalty, but I assume that they weren't in California and didn't realize that the dp here is in name only and only determines which prison he'd be in until he died of old age.

I'm still looking forward to reading the new book coming out in a few weeks.
I just shared news of this at work and the immediate response from someone was, "If you'd like to rethink your stance on the death penalty, watch Just Mercy."

Interesting take, coworker. Not even remotely the same situation nor concern.

wow ...... plead guilty to 88 cases ...... sounds like more cases than he was even a suspect in ..... has anyone kept track of his "suspected crimes" ??? thanks

wow ...... plead guilty to 88 cases ...... sounds like more cases than he was even a suspect in ..... has anyone kept track of his "suspected crimes" ??? thanks

I think he should have to list them- even the ones he is NOT linked to through DNA.

And I'm borderline sad that a certain person who was so sure they had the wrong guy is not available for comment.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linnymac68$
Back