CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #5

This makes me so dang sad for his victims and their families. Victor Hayes is right--JJD did go on to live a full life.

I listened to Jennifer Carole's podcast this morning, and she seemed so deeply disheartened by this turn of events.

One good thing is that the victims and family members will be allowed to make Victim Impact Statements in open court during the month of August. I'm thankful that they'll have that opportunity.

Here's a link to her podcast if anyone needs it:
‎The Lawyer's Daughter | The Golden State Killer: June 15, 2020 | DeAngelo is Taking a Plea on Apple Podcasts

You mention the month of August - do you know the actual date in August? I have not heard anything about "when" this will take place! TIA!

You all have been very coy about what you actually meant here. I see. But I also don't want to see.

Nothing to fear .... nothing to really even see .... it is reported he has an exceptionally small peanut

So does this mean those very private photos of D'Angelo taken in jail will not see the light of day, wonder if he would be relieved about that or not?
speculation.

YES .... Most men would be relieved ... hehe

You mention the month of August - do you know the actual date in August? I have not heard anything about "when" this will take place! TIA!
August 14th is when it is slated to begin. Jennifer Carole said that they're still trying to figure out how to do this with the social distancing measures in place, etc. But she insists that she will be there for ALL of it. It's expected to take days. Many, many victims and their families will be allowed to speak.

August 14th is when it is slated to begin. Jennifer Carole said that they're still trying to figure out how to do this with the social distancing measures in place, etc. But she insists that she will be there for ALL of it. It's expected to take days. Many, many victims and their families will be allowed to speak.
Will he either be there or be required to listen?

I'll Be Gone In The Dark
A six-part documentary series based on the book of the same name, I’ll Be Gone In The Dark explores writer Michelle McNamara’s investigation into the dark world of the violent predator she dubbed "The Golden State Killer."

Directed by Academy Award nominee and Emmy-winning director Liz Garbus (HBO’s Who Killed Garrett Phillips, Nothing Left Unsaid: Gloria Vanderbilt & Anderson Cooper), the series is a detective story told in McNamara’s own words, through exclusive original recordings and excerpts from her book read by actor Amy Ryan. Drawing on extensive archival footage and police files as well as exclusive new interviews with detectives, survivors and family members of the killer, the series weaves together a picture of a complex and flawed investigation that challenged police for decades.

The next hearing is set for this Monday, June 29th. It will be held not in the Courthouse, but in the Ballroom at Sacramento State University, presumably so a good number of press can be spread out. The article doesn't specify.

The hearing will be at 9:30, with a DA's news conference later at 3:00. Here is a link for the story from KCRA, Channel 3.

Prosecutors to make announcement in Joseph DeAngelo case at Sacramento State on Monday

And another story, from CBS Channel 13, says that survivors will be there.

Accused Golden State Killer Expected To Plead Guilty Inside Sac State University Ballroom

Last edited:
Joseph DeAngelo's wife's brother, James Huddle, has written a book to be released on June 30th, called Killers Keep Secrets: The Golden State Killer's Other Life. He talks about things he saw over the years that, looking back, were red flags--if he'd been looking for any.

The book looks like it would be interesting--I've already reserved my copy.

https://www.amazon.com/Killers-Keep..._1_53?dchild=1&qid=1591998037&s=books&sr=1-53
Oh goodie, it’s free with Kindle Unlimited. I can’t wait to read it. Thanks for the what’s up.

Oh goodie, it’s free with Kindle Unlimited. I can’t wait to read it. Thanks for the what’s up.
When I bought mine, it was $13.99, and $9.99 for Kindle. I just tried to cancel my pre-order so I could get the Unlimited version, and they're saying it's too late :( so I guess the print version is ready to ship.

Hey Everyone,

The Golden State Killer will (hopefully) be pleading guilty on Monday https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article243737622.html

Do you think there is a chance he will change his plea to not guilty just to be a jerk and throw the whole room of surviver's loved ones into a tizzy? And rightly so I might add.

I do not trust this guy. I think he loves power and this is the last time in his life where he could do something to make everyone angry.

Just a thought.

As Monty Python says "And now for something completely different".

Monday through Friday at 2 PM Eastern I do a quick youtube live update on cases being discussed on Websleuths. Today, Friday, I will be briefly talking about the Golden State Killer. I will post a link to this thread so people can see how you, the members, post about cases.
I would love it if you would join me live today.

CLICK HERE AT 2 PM EASTERN AND AT 10 PM EASTERN FOR WEBSLEUTH YOUTUBE LIVE.

The 10 PM Eastern show runs about 2 hours.
Please keep in mind because I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time I am usually a few minutes late in starting the show. :)
Thank you.

Hey Everyone,

The Golden State Killer will (hopefully) be pleading guilty on Monday https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article243737622.html

Do you think there is a chance he will change his plea to not guilty just to be a jerk and throw the whole room of surviver's loved ones into a tizzy? And rightly so I might add.

I do not trust this guy. I think he loves power and this is the last time in his life where he could do something to make everyone angry.

Just a thought.

As Monty Python says "And now for something completely different".

Monday through Friday at 2 PM Eastern I do a quick youtube live update on cases being discussed on Websleuths. Today, Friday, I will be briefly talking about the Golden State Killer. I will post a link to this thread so people can see how you, the members, post about cases.
I would love it if you would join me live today.

CLICK HERE AT 2 PM EASTERN AND AT 10 PM EASTERN FOR WEBSLEUTH YOUTUBE LIVE.

The 10 PM Eastern show runs about 2 hours.
Please keep in mind because I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time I am usually a few minutes late in starting the show. :)
Thank you.
I don't think so. They've been working on getting every county to agree to this for several months.

I think his "power position" is not going to trial and divulging any information that relatives want to hear. This way he makes his plea and then just has to sit through the relative statements (August?), which he can act like he's totally ignoring and be done with it.

''HBO
I'll Be Gone in the Dark is an upcoming American true crime documentary series directed by Liz Garbus, Elizabeth Wolff, Josh Koury and Myles Kane, revolving around Michelle McNamara as she writes a book about and investigates the Golden State Killer. It is scheduled to premiere on June 28, 2020, on HBO.''

I'll Be Gone in the Dark (TV series) - Wikipe

Last edited:
When I bought mine, it was $13.99, and $9.99 for Kindle. I just tried to cancel my pre-order so I could get the Unlimited version, and they're saying it's too late :( so I guess the print version is ready to ship.
Oh no, that sucks. I’m sorry. :(

and yes, I'll be shortening this up a bit! :)

Monday, June 29th:
*Plea Hearing (@ 9:30am PT) - CA - Katie (20) & Brian (21) Maggiore (Feb. 2, 1978 in Rancho Cordova) - *Joseph James DeAngelo (29 @ time of crime/73/now 74) (East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer) - arrested (4/24/18) & formally charged (4/27/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special enhancements for burglary and rape; did not enter plea. Judge entered a not guilty plea (1/22/20). No bond. Plead guilty to a plea deal (6/15/20). Sacramento County.
Relative's (Great-great-great grandfather’s) DNA from genealogy website (GEDMatch).
8/22/18 Update: amended complaint also includes 13 new charges of kidnapping to commit robbery, with sentencing enhancements for using a firearm and a knife during those alleged crimes. Nine in Sacramento & four in Contra Costa County-stemming from sexual assaults. No bond.
4/27/18 Update: charged in Ventura County of 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances for being a double homicide in the deaths of Charlene (33) & Lyman (43) Smith on 3/13/80 in Ventura. No bond.
5/10/18 Update: charged in Santa Barbara County of the 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances, where investigators believe he killed Dr. Robert Offerman (44) & Dr. Debra Alexandria Manning (35) on December 30, 1979 and Cheri Domingo (35) & Gregory Sanchez (27) on July 27, 1981, all in Goleta. Each carries a possible sentence of death or life in prison without parole. No bond.
5/11/18 Update: charged in Orange County with 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances. Patrice Harrington (28) & Keith Harrington (24) on 8/19/80 in Dana Point and Manuela Witthuhn (21) on 2/26/81 in Irvine & Janelle Lisa Cruz (18) on 5/4/86 in Irvine. No bond.
8/13/18 Update: charged in Tulare County with 1 count of 1st degree murder with use of a firearm in the death of Claude Snelling (45) (Sept. 11, 1975) in Visalia. No bond.
Trial was set to begin on 5/12/20 has been cancelled due to the coronavirus.
Total 13 counts of 1st degree murder plus:
All will be tried in Sacramento County: charged with 13 counts of murder with special circumstances, including murder committed during the course of a burglary and rape. The amended complaint also includes 13 new charges of kidnapping to commit robbery, with sentencing enhancements for using a firearm and a knife during those alleged crimes.

Court hearings from 5/2/18 to 2/3/20 reference post #1056 here:
CA - CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

3/2/20 Update: Defense files dismissal motion filed in Sacramento County Court late Monday says he would plead guilty to his charges in exchange for a lifetime sentence to put the death penalty off the table.
3/12/20 Update: Prosecutors argued more DNA cheek swab kits were needed because the samples are being shared & compared among counties & labs. Judge Steve White agreed to allow four more buccal samples to be taken the same day following court. The Sacramento County Public Defender’s Office is representing DeAngelo & is also trying to settle out of the court with a plea deal. The trial has been scheduled to begin May 12, but the public defender’s office plans to file a motion to continue arguing it doesn’t have the resources to handle an unprecedented trial against the resources of six district attorney's offices. Next pretrial hearing on 4/22.
4/22/20 Update: Due to the coronavirus pretrial hearing on 4/22 has been rescheduled on 5/12/20. 5/10/20 Update: Pretrial hearing on 5/12 has been rescheduled due to coronavirus to 6/29/20.
6/15/20 Update: Lawyers in the Golden State Killer/East Area Rapist case believe they have reached a deal under which suspect DeAngelo Jr. will plead guilty to 88 murders, rapes & other charges at the June 29 hearing & avoid a death penalty trial with a life sentence imposed instead. Details of the agreement, which has not been formalized in court documents filed in the case, still are being worked out, as is the final decision on where the hearing will take place. Sources said DeAngelo has also agreed to admit to scores of crimes for which he is not charged, including rapes, for which the statute of limitations has expired. Plea hearing will be held not in the Courthouse, but in the Ballroom at Sacramento State University, presumably so a good number of the press can be spread out. Sentencing scheduled on 8/14/20.

An inside look at the Golden State Killer suspect’s behavior
rbbm.
''Even as he pursued a relationship with his sister, Huddle said, DeAngelo continued to obsess over Bonnie Colwell. “He would say, ‘Yeah, that Bonnie, she broke my heart,’ and ‘She was the love of my life.’ Apparently it tore him up so much he couldn’t love Sharon like he loved her,” Huddle said in an interview with The Times.

Huddle never knew that Bonnie rejected DeAngelo because of what she described as a pattern of abusive treatment, including pulling a gun on her to force her to marry him. He also was unaware that nine years later, rape victims described a weeping, unstable attacker who sometimes cried, “I hate you, Bonnie!”

''He described the day DeAngelo opened his wife’s antique stove in the garage and pulled out a cloth bundle. Wrapped within a towel were pancake-sized patties of melted gold and a small, hand-cast gold bar. Huddle said DeAngelo told him he had melted down South African Krugerrands, bought by making high-interest loans to fellow sailors during the war in Vietnam.

Huddle said he now suspects the gold was cast from the coins and jewelry DeAngelo is accused of stealing from hundreds of victims. Investigators have never recovered what they said were a killer’s trophies.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back