GUILTY CA - Elizabeth Sullivan, 31, San Diego, 13 Oct 2014 *Arrest*

Her car being at her house when she went missing seems like an important clue.

WS is a victim friendly site. It's natural for people to look at the spouse, but I want to keep an open mind until a suspect is actually named.

I do think when someone goes missing we expect their loved ones to keep the search in the news. The local news in San Diego mentioned last night that the only time her husband spoke to media was in this article from when she first went missing.

'I'm at the End of My Rope,' Says Husband of Missing Mom Elizabeth Sullivan
11/12/2014 AT 03:05 PM EST
http://people.com/crime/im-at-the-end-of-my-rope-says-husband-of-missing-mom-elizabeth-sullivan/

At that time, everyone was confused as to whether she left voluntarily or had been seen around the area. It seemed like she could be out there alive. Now, it's so important that any info people share that they held back on then be revealed because it can help prosecute the person who did this to Elizabeth.

Not surprised, but still saddened by this news. She grew up here in the Virginia region here where I live so I've been following. I am surprised, though, that she was found floating the water after 2 years. Even if the killer weighed the body down, I would imagine there would be nothing left but a skeleton by now. Here is the timeline from San Diego station:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...ivan-San-Diego-Liberty-Station-405270505.html

It's my understanding that her husband had a new girlfriend shortly after she went missing and they haven't allowed Elizabeth's family to see the children.

I think he was dismissed as a suspect because he's in the Navy and wasn't in San Diego when she went missing.

Doesn't mean he could not be involved though.

As CuriousMe stated, the water here (in San Diego) isn't cold enough to keep a body from decomposing. Plus how ironic would it be if she were weighted and dumped in the water further out yet floated to the area where she went missing? Strange!

So many reasons why it is hard to sleuth this case. I'm worried also that this will end up a cold case because there really wasn't much revealed or uncovered in all that time she was missing from any investigations. Everything that was reported was partial info that begged clarification.

Go back and it's all hearsay. Let's hope LE found out more, but it never sounded like it. Her father said something about their phone conversation and her making a decision they disagreed on. That right there made it sound like she might have decided to take off. Then, her friend said she and her husband weren't getting along. That friend received a text from her on Oct. 13th and then the friend, not the father, reported her missing on Oct. 17th? We never learned, as far as I know, where the children were when she went missing. The husband alluded a lot to her needing "her space". The sighting where they confirmed it was her and exactly what clothes she was wearing seems odd now because who knew for sure it was her. It started to sound like she she left voluntarily without her car and was walking around the area on foot, and darn, it almost seems like we were encouraged to think that.

It's heartbreaking now to find out in reality that she was murdered! I hope her family and loved ones don't accept this as unsolved because someone did this to her and should not get away with it.

Friend: Navy wife met with divorce attorney before her murder
Updated: Dec 09, 2016 6:10 PM PST
http://www.cbs8.com/story/34019818/friend-navy-wife-met-with-divorce-attorney-before-her-murder

A friend of Liz Sullivan said the navy wife met with a divorce attorney on the same day she went missing in 2014.
"In an exclusive interview with CBS News 8, the friend, Nathan Caracter, also said there was a history of domestic violence and infidelity in the marriage.

Liz Sullivan, 31, lived in military housing on Truxtun Road in Liberty Station with her navy husband, Matt Sullivan, and their two young daughters.

“She was smart, very intelligent, very quick and witty; and a good mother, very dedicated to the wellbeing of her children,” said Caracter.

Caracter and Sullivan became friends – he is gay -- after Sullivan purchased eyeglasses from Caracter while he was working as an optician in San Diego.

The weekend before she went missing in October 2014, Sullivan spent the night at Caracter’s apartment planning her divorce, according to Caracter.

“She had been having a lot of problems with her husband up to that point,” Caracter said.

The final straw, according to Caracter, was when Matt Sullivan told his wife he wanted some of his family members to move into their home..."

Friend: Navy wife met with divorce attorney before her murder
Posted: Dec 09, 2016 5:58 PM PST
http://www.cbs8.com/story/34019818/friend-navy-wife-met-with-divorce-attorney-before-her-murder

continued...
...“Step one was to get a restraining order against Matthew and his family that would keep them away from the home; and the restraining order was going to be based on previous abuse that had been committed against Liz,” said Caracter.

“There were fights, arguments that would escalate to a point where there would be screaming, throwing of objects that would break things. At one point, he grabbed Liz and shoved her into a bookcase or something wood that broke,” Caracter said.

He said Sullivan had an appointment with a divorce attorney Monday afternoon, October 13, 2014. But after the appointment Caracter said he never heard from his friend again.

Last month, a passerby found Sillivan’s badly decomposed body in San Diego Bay blocks away from her home in Liberty Station.

“To me it almost seemed too obvious, the day that she has an appointment with the divorce attorney she goes missing,” said Caracter. “It’s almost like, if the husband did it, it would be the stupidest thing on earth to do.”

Another source of tension in the marriage, according to the friend, was that Sullivan had an affair months earlier with another man.

Caracter said the husband found out about the infidelity and the couple was trying to cool things off and work things out.

“She actually did try to reconcile with Matt, try to work on the marriage, be the dutiful wife but it just wasn't there,” said Caracter.

Caracter said detectives have interviewed him on numerous occasions over the past two years. He said the police questioning focused on himself, the boyfriend, the husband and other individuals he did not know.

In an exclusive interview with CBS News 8, the friend, Nathan Caracter...see Video

We found out this week that someone killed Elizabeth. I am so thankful for Liz's friend for seeking Justice for his good friend, for speaking up and giving this news interview, and for I believe, reporting her missing in the first place. Thank You Nathan for being such a good friend to Elizabeth.

News8 tried to reach out to Matt Sullivan for comment, but so far messages have not been returned. The husband Matt is now living on the East Coast with the two children. MOO, he used to be "at the end of his rope" to find her in that People article back in 2014, but I guess he's over all that now and has moved on. No one has been named a suspect yet.

I'm so glad she had Nathan as a friend to lean on during that time. :(

I hope that whatever happened to Elizabeth is found out, but I doubt that she died shortly after that she went missing. I looked up how long it would take for a body to become decomposed in water, and according to this article in Scientific American, https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/news-blog/how-long-do-dead-bodies-remain-inta-2009-06-10/ , it wouldn't take more than a month! unless the water is below 7 °C (45 °F), and I think that the waters in San Diego is warmer than that. So it's most likely that Elizabeth was killed in late August/early September this year, if she was killed earlier, the only explanation to her remains being as intact as they were when she was found would be that she had been kept in a freezer for a long time.

Perhaps she disappeared voluntarily, as there seems to have been sightings of her during the days after she went missing, but that someone abducted her and kept her captive until a few weeks before her body was found. There have been discussions about human trafficing on other threads, perhaps that's what happened to Elizabeth. Whatever the reason, it's a sad ending to her disappearing.

Now that Elizabeth is proven dead, I wonder if the attorney she consulted with will be able to give police any helpful information? (He can, now that she is dead, right? If it's to help find her killer? Idk).

I hope that whatever happened to Elizabeth is found out, but I doubt that she died shortly after that she went missing. I looked up how long it would take for a body to become decomposed in water, and according to this article in Scientific American, https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/news-blog/how-long-do-dead-bodies-remain-inta-2009-06-10/ , it wouldn't take more than a month! unless the water is below 7 °C (45 °F), and I think that the waters in San Diego is warmer than that. So it's most likely that Elizabeth was killed in late August/early September this year, if she was killed earlier, the only explanation to her remains being as intact as they were when she was found would be that she had been kept in a freezer for a long time.

Perhaps she disappeared voluntarily, as there seems to have been sightings of her during the days after she went missing, but that someone abducted her and kept her captive until a few weeks before her body was found. There have been discussions about human trafficing on other threads, perhaps that's what happened to Elizabeth. Whatever the reason, it's a sad ending to her disappearing.

I'd be willing to bet she's been dead for a long time, possibly frozen, but only in the water for a short period of time. When moving cross country, it could be difficult to take a dead body with you - gotta dump her somewhere!

"Not only was the body discovered almost two years exactly from her disappearance and close to where she lived, but it was also within days of Elizabeth’s husband, Matt, moving from San Diego to Maryland with his fiancée, Kayla Turner, their new baby, and Elizabeth’s two daughters."

https://www.people.com/crime/missing-elizabeth-sullivan-found-dead/

I don't have words right now...I just hope the person responsible for this (I guess we all know who by now) will be brought to justice soon.

That's what bothers me about the reports that the body was badly decomposed and found floating after two years from her going missing. I'd think only bones were found. As far as I know, the water was warmer than usual around here. Also most places in San Diego are well populated and actively used. Unbelievable that no one noticed a body there for two years unless it wasn't there until recently, or it was weighted down, or perhaps frozen or buried. All we know is the remains tell a tale of murder.

You're making perfect sense to question when she actually died, but I think it had to be two years ago. There was only one sighting that was from a witness that didn't even know her. No one has reported seeing her since. Everything reported then was vague and misleading, IMO. There were rumors that she might have taken off with some boyfriend or she was planning to do something outrageous -- nothing reported gave us a clue or made much sense.

Now we find out new info. Given that she spent the weekend planning with her friend how she would go about seeking a divorce and then went to a divorce attorney never to be heard from again makes me think...well, I don't want to point fingers at who LE should consider suspects, but it had to be someone close to her, IMO.

I'd guess that her divorce plans were what made for the disagreement with her father back home over the phone. She might've been gong-ho on divorce at that point and voiced it to the wrong person. Everyone that was questioned before needs to be questioned again, IMO. If she saw an attorney, then she probably put down a retainer to proceed with a divorce. There needs to be a thorough investigation to bring Justice to Elizabeth, her daughters, and family. I hope this case doesn't go cold like so many do. Somebody took her life!

All my own thoughts and opinions.

I'd be willing to bet she's been dead for a long time, possibly frozen, but only in the water for a short period of time. When moving cross country, it could be difficult to take a dead body with you - gotta dump her somewhere!

"Not only was the body discovered almost two years exactly from her disappearance and close to where she lived, but it was also within days of Elizabeth’s husband, Matt, moving from San Diego to Maryland with his fiancée, Kayla Turner, their new baby, and Elizabeth’s two daughters."

Well now, mighty coincidental. :thinking:

:what: OMG, really? :mad:

https://people.com/crime/missing-elizabeth-sullivan-found-dead/

BBM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members