Found Deceased CA - Erika Lloyd, 37, car found vandalized near Twentynine Palms & Joshua Tree NP, 14 June 2020

After reading the last few pages of this thread and looking at the car, pet-related things, and no camping equipment...I have serious concerns about Erika's mental health. Her change of plans (from Big Sur to Joshua Tree) is concerning. If she got into a single car accident and then took off on foot, though, you'd think she'd be found by now.
Surely she would have unloaded any camping equipment at the campsite though.

Right - although it's still amazing that some regular citizen is the one who made the discovery. Or, not amazing if you consider how big that desert is.

After reading the last few pages of this thread and looking at the car, pet-related things, and no camping equipment...I have serious concerns about Erika's mental health. Her change of plans (from Big Sur to Joshua Tree) is concerning. If she got into a single car accident and then took off on foot, though, you'd think she'd be found by now.

Is it possible that she has been found, or has the body they discovered been determined to be someone else?

Surely she would have unloaded any camping equipment at the campsite though.
Her campsite was found early on. Now that we have seen pics of her car at the tow yard, posters are wondering how she managed to fit her camping gear into her car in the first place because there seems to be stuff related to her pets taking up a fair amount of space in the backseat and trunk.

Her campsite was found early on. Now that we have seen pics of her car at the tow yard, posters are wondering how she managed to fit her camping gear into her car in the first place because there seems to be stuff related to her pets taking up a fair amount of space in the backseat and trunk.
I know that her campsite was found. I was responding to an earlier poster who expressed concern that there was no camping equipment in the car.

Every time I read about these mysterious friends she was supposed to meet, the problems she was having coping with her life, and that facebook post of hers from Hawaii...I feel like she ran off.
I guess we still must include her not wanting to be found.
Some of Bill Ewasco’s friends believe he faked his disappearance here. Vanished in 2010, never found.
Maybe she staged it?

Every time I read about these mysterious friends she was supposed to meet, the problems she was having coping with her life, and that facebook post of hers from Hawaii...I feel like she ran off.
That is certainly a possibility.
I keep thinking about these unknown friends; seems so random and not particularly plausible. Solo female driving 7 or so hours to go meet some random friends in the desert? I. don't. think. so. This sounds like some sort of business dealing that went awry.

Amateur opinion and speculation

The last time Lloyd's best friend, [RM], saw the 37-year-old Walnut Creek woman was on June 10 -- exactly one week before she was reported missing.

“Something seemed off, so I was like, ‘This is a wellness check,’" [RM] tells PEOPLE. “We sat with a glass of wine commiserating, like, ‘Wow, these are crazy times.’"

When [RM] phoned four days later, Lloyd said she needed a mental-health break. “She told me, ‘I’m going to be fine,’" says [RM]. “That’s the last time I spoke to her.”

[...]

Both [RM] and friend [VH] tell PEOPLE that Lloyd had mentioned making new friends before she disappeared. She even reportedly told her roommates on June 14 that people were watching her campsite for her. But investigators have not been able to ascertain the identities of the people Lloyd said she was meeting.

Calif. Mom Vanished in June After Going on Road Trip — and Friends Think Foul Play Is Involved

The last time Lloyd's best friend, [RM], saw the 37-year-old Walnut Creek woman was on June 10 -- exactly one week before she was reported missing.

“Something seemed off, so I was like, ‘This is a wellness check,’" [RM] tells PEOPLE. “We sat with a glass of wine commiserating, like, ‘Wow, these are crazy times.’"

When [RM] phoned four days later, Lloyd said she needed a mental-health break. “She told me, ‘I’m going to be fine,’" says [RM]. “That’s the last time I spoke to her.”

[...]

Both [RM] and friend [VH] tell PEOPLE that Lloyd had mentioned making new friends before she disappeared. She even reportedly told her roommates on June 14 that people were watching her campsite for her. But investigators have not been able to ascertain the identities of the people Lloyd said she was meeting.

Calif. Mom Vanished in June After Going on Road Trip — and Friends Think Foul Play Is Involved
It's difficult to discern if she was being completely truthful or if she might have been saying something to reassure her friends (and herself). Although everyone says she was 'fine', in the next breath they detail all the ways she was not fine. She's quoted in the above story as saying "I’m going to be fine," which is not the same thing at all.

There's no indication she loved camping alone anywhere, much less in the desert, or had done it in the past...so perhaps this story about 'people waiting' was to assure her friends that she wasn't going to be alone...although she was. She's probably seen things like the movie Wild, which tells women they can solve their problems by going out in nature alone. I don't disagree, but at the same time, it requires someone who has a particular personality or lots of experience, and I wonder if for someone like Erika, it could actually be a very painful experience to be out there alone, and just make you feel worse. And she didn't need to be alone - I don't understand why she didn't bring her son.

[...]

Oh I don’t like the sound of this at all. “I’m going to be fine” can often mean something permanent.

amateur opinion and speculation

This is what does it for me. IMO she ran away. This is the facebook post from Hawaii...It was a magical day where I felt the vibration of the earth once again lift inside my heart. There is something so beautiful that happens in your life when you truly get to a place where you choose to listen to God’s voice and His alone. Almost forgetting everything you were taught, felt, or told by society and their opinions (even our own) and step out into the unknown. It’s sometimes so easy to become complacent in our lives and stop living. It’s so easy to get our feet stuck in the sand with a nice view and say this is good, I guess I’ll just stay here. We stop growing, we stop learning, we just stop. Have you ever felt this way? I’ve come to this place many times before. It’s left me feeling dead inside. Trapped. Like a plant in a pot that maxed out its environment and physically by the laws of nature cannot grow. And you sit there waiting, wanting some else to replant you and make you feel bigger. But nothing happens. You have to be the one to shatter those walls. Amazing people who follow their dreams don’t get their by having some one else make their dreams happen. You have to personally take the steps to break through. Not everyone is going to support you. In fact many will criticize you. It might hurt, it might be scary, terrifying even, and incredibly disappointing at times. But that is life and trust me it’s worth getting to the other side of your fears. So don’t spend your life living someone else dream. This is your life and the time for you to shine. Don’t ever waste it.
Erika Lloyd Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Oh I don’t like the sound of this at all. “I’m going to be fine” can often mean something permanent.

amateur opinion and speculation

This is also what I thought after reading that. Not so much reassuring herself but her friends so they wouldn’t stop her. When a person makes up their mind to do something like that, they won’t let anything or anyone get in their way. I’ve unfortunately been witness to this. I hope I’m wrong about this for the sake of her son.

This is also what I thought after reading that. Not so much reassuring herself but her friends so they wouldn’t stop her. When a person makes up their mind to do something like that, they won’t let anything or anyone get in their way. I’ve unfortunately been witness to this. I hope I’m wrong about this for the sake of her son.
Ugh....yes. It sounds like she reassured them by telling them what they wanted to hear, but that she was on a mission.

Ugh....yes. It sounds like she reassured them by telling them what they wanted to hear, but that she was on a mission.

I hate to say it, but I am thinking the same way. My first question, after reading only a headline, was why didn’t she take her son with her? If I were going to go on a road trip to a national park, I’d want my littles to experience it too.
However, if I were planning to end my life, I imagine I would do all I could to ensure I wouldn’t be found by my loved ones. Going to a huge park 7 hours away from them would accomplish that.

I don’t see many people speculating that maybe she went to meet a guy? Someone she met online or already knew? There is a large military base near there. She’s a young, single mom with COVID limiting dating possibilities. I think it’s perfectly reasonable that she went there to meet someone for a few day rendezvous. She planned to camp so she wouldn’t have to pay for a hotel and likely felt safe if she THOUGHT the guy was military (he may have misrepresented that). She wouldn’t want Mom or her son to think she was going to a “ hook up”,so she said she was “meeting friends” and needed to “get away”. I don’t think she was really running FROM something, I think she was running TO something. There’s no shame in it. She’s a young, single woman. I know 3 young women in their 20s who have recently traveled alone for multiple days and often met guys from dating sites in the City they are in. They aren’t wild girls really...I just think this is how young people date nowadays. I sure hope someone has checked her activity on dating sites, but I wonder if police have? This is all MOO.

I don’t see many people speculating that maybe she went to meet a guy? Someone she met online or already knew? There is a large military base near there. She’s a young, single mom with COVID limiting dating possibilities. I think it’s perfectly reasonable that she went there to meet someone for a few day rendezvous. She planned to camp so she wouldn’t have to pay for a hotel and likely felt safe if she THOUGHT the guy was military (he may have misrepresented that). She wouldn’t want Mom or her son to think she was going to a “ hook up”,so she said she was “meeting friends” and needed to “get away”. I don’t think she was really running FROM something, I think she was running TO something. There’s no shame in it. She’s a young, single woman. I know 3 young women in their 20s who have recently traveled alone for multiple days and often met guys from dating sites in the City they are in. They aren’t wild girls really...I just think this is how young people date nowadays. I sure hope someone has checked her activity on dating sites, but I wonder if police have? This is all MOO.

Great theory, @Lotsofquestions! I think it could be possible that Erika went to meet someone she felt romantically attracted to. I hope LE is checking out all her contacts on her phone/computer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back