Found Deceased CA - Erika Lloyd, 37, car found vandalized near Twentynine Palms & Joshua Tree NP, 14 June 2020

In defense of the family, hindsight is 20/20. They may not have realized the extent of her mental breakdown until all was said and done. The moving of the car seems to have thrown off all parties from her family to LE to Search & Rescue. How tragic. There’s a possibility she could have been found before succumbing to the elements had LE found the car at the initial spot without any interference from third parties. I’m also wondering if some of the damage to the car was done when these people winched it out of the berm and drove it away. Were the keys in the ignition? Had they called LE immediately on finding the car she could be alive today. That’s worth a million dollar bail in my opinion. They interfered with LE’s ability to find her.
ITA. To be fair, they wouldn't know the owner was missing when they first stole the car. But not owning up to it when a search effort had begun, and in the wrong location, was a total moral failure of these two as human beings. Yeh, the million dollar bail seems appropriate. The linked article doesn't say exactly why Campbell's bail was so much more, given their similar lists of charges. There must likely be more to the story.

ITA. To be fair, they wouldn't know the owner was missing when they first stole the car. But not owning up to it when a search effort had begun, and in the wrong location, was a total moral failure of these two as human beings. Yeh, the million dollar bail seems appropriate. The linked article doesn't say exactly why Campbell's bail was so much more, given their similar lists of charges. There must likely be more to the story.
Agreed. I also think there is more to the story than what was just released. Maybe they did encounter her at some point. We may likely never know as I’m sure they have lawyered up by now.

I'm guessing it's because of her long record, three strikes law?

Totally agree. From the link:
"Krough was arrested at 7:26 a.m. Thursday, July 8, on Falderman Avenue. He is jailed in West Valley Detention Center on $50,000 bail for being a felon with a firearm and $25,000 bail for vehicle theft. He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday, July 12, at the Joshua Tree courthouse.

Campbell was arrested at 9:55 a.m. Thursday on Raymond Drive. She is jailed at West Valley on $1 million bail on suspicion of vehicle theft and possession of a stolen vehicle. Her arraignment is also scheduled for Monday, at the courthouse in San Bernardino."

$1 million bail? Seems high for just stealing a car. MOO.

She had significant priors - and it's San Bernardino County. The vehicle theft definitely contributed directly to Erika's death, IMO.

But yeah, big difference in the two bails from the two court branches. I wonder if Campbell said a few of the wrong things to arresting officers.

She had significant priors - and it's San Bernardino County. The vehicle theft definitely contributed directly to Erika's death, IMO.

But yeah, big difference in the two bails from the two court branches. I wonder if Campbell said a few of the wrong things to arresting officers.
i do find the high bail curious so standing by to see. but these charges alone arent strikes. it def did contribute toward her death tho.

Erika Lloyd Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

6/7/21

When police searched the abandoned car, they say it looked like it could’ve been involved in some kind of crash. There were still items in the car but no camping equipment, according to news station KRON4, who reported that California Highway Patrol Officer Casey Simmons said his agency didn’t find any evidence of a crash in the roadway.

“There was damage to the front end along with the windshield and back window,” Simmons said. “So it looked like it might have been involved in a traffic collision. There were items still in the vehicle. It didn’t look like any items were taken out of the vehicle.

It’s also not known if Lloyd was traveling with anyone else or alone.

[..]

Lloyd’s mother told KESQ that like many people during the ongoing pandemic, Lloyd was feeling the strain and the trip to the National Park was a chance to getaway.

“She seemed like she was fine,” Ruth told KESQ. “Being lockdown for almost three months not being able to work and she was trying to home school her son, it was starting to get to her the pressure and not having any income.”

[..]

No foul play apparent in death of Walnut Creek mom who went missing

5/12/21

UPDATE May 12 9:07 p.m. The investigation into the death and disappearance of a Walnut Creek mother is close to being resolved, with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department Special Investigative Unit turning over the case to the Morongo Basin Station investigators after concluding no foul play was involved, according to a Facebook post.

"The family of Erika Lloyd would like to give an update," the post reads. "The San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department Special Investigative Unit has notified us they are no longer handling Erika’s case. After reviewing the extensive investigation done on Erika’s disappearance, they have NOT found any indication of foul play. Thus, Erika’s case will be turned back over to the Morongo Basin Station Investigators for any remaining follow up and information.

From everything the investigators learned, and everything we found out from our first trip to California in June to our last trip in February, all indications appeared Erika suffered a sudden mental breakdown starting about a week before she disappeared into the desert. During that last week, Erika had communicated with various family members, friends, co-workers, and some clients. The common thread from all of them referring to Erika was, 'something was off and out of place,' but they could not put their finger on it."

[..]

Colin Lloyd said that human remains discovered by hikers on Jan. 31 near Danby and Amboy roads in Wonder Valley, Calif. in San Bernardino County have been identified as belonging to his sister, Erika Lloyd. The identity of the remains has been confirmed by the San Bernardino Sheriff's Office, according to KTVU.

[..]

Joshua Tree park ranger Nathan Lewis told KESQ in early July that the front and back windshield of Lloyd's car were broken, but the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department found no signs of foul play at the scene.

The cause of death has not yet been determined.

29 Palms locals accused of stealing missing woman's car

6/9/21

The news release states that detectives realized in December 2020 that Lloyd’s car had been moved but didn’t have any suspects until June 6, when they identified Campbell and Krough.

Lloyd’s family said in a Facebook post that investigators told them two people found the car, thought it was abandoned, pulled it off the berm with a pickup truck and winch and then drove it down Shelton Road toward the highway until it overheated.

“The one subject is a mother whose conscience was pricked after driving by the banners/billboard that were posted in Wonder Valley and Twentynine Palms, then came forth to provide this information to authorities,” the statement, posted on the Bring Erika Home page, reads.

Krough was arrested at 7:26 a.m. Thursday, July 8, on Falderman Avenue. He is jailed in West Valley Detention Center on $50,000 bail for being a felon with a firearm and $25,000 bail for vehicle theft. He is scheduled to be arraigned Monday, July 12, at the Joshua Tree courthouse.

Campbell was arrested at 9:55 a.m. Thursday on Raymond Drive. She is jailed at West Valley on $1 million bail on suspicion of vehicle theft and possession of a stolen vehicle. Her arraignment is also scheduled for Monday, at the courthouse in San Bernardino.

Campbell also faces charges of felony vandalism and misdemeanor theft in an unrelated case filed Dec. 20 in the Joshua Tree court. She pleaded not guilty last month. In the past, she has pleaded guilty to burglary in 2018, owning ammunition in violation of the law because of her prior convictions in 2016, forgery and receiving stolen property in 2015 and possession of marijuana and utility theft in 2013.

Hikers found Lloyd’s skeletal remains in a desert field a quarter-mile east of the 5200 block of Danby Road in Wonder Valley on the morning of Jan. 31.

Her family said Lloyd was suffering from mental illness and had a breakdown about a week before she drove herself to Wonder Valley. When she ran her car into a berm, she went on foot and “succumbed to the elements.”

Couple Stole, Moved Lloyd’s Car On The Day Of Her Disappearance | SBCSentinel

7/9/21

[..]

After Lloyd’s body was found, an eyewitness came forward to relate that on June 16, 2020 at approximately 4:50 pm, a woman fitting Lloyd’s description was wandering around in a disoriented state on the desert field in the area of Two Mile Road/Danby Road, near where her remains were found more than seven months later.

According to the sheriff’s department, around 6:30 p.m. on June 16, 2020, David Krough, then 27, and Teala Campbell, then 33, came across the Accord, which was lodged in the berm. Indications are that they did not see Lloyd in the vicinity of the vehicle, and assumed the car had been abandoned. They used a pickup truck with either a winch or a chain and hook to separate the Accord from the berm. It is believed that Campbell then sought to drive it south on Shelton Road. By the time the car had reached Twentynine Palms Highway, roughly 1.98 miles from where Lloyd had abandoned it, the car was severely overheating, and the couple abandoned the car in the middle of Shelton Road.

The sheriff’s department said that on June 6 of this year, it had identified Campbell and Krough as the individuals who had moved Lloyd’s car from where she had left it. An investigation ensued, and yesterday, July 8, both Krough and Campbell were arrested, and are now in custody at the West Valley Detention Center in Rancho Cucamonga. Krough, who has prior convictions, is being held on $50,000 bail for being a felon with a firearm and an additional $25,000 bail for vehicle theft. Campbell has prior convictions for burglary, a firearms violation, forgery, receiving stolen property and utility theft. She is being held in lieu of $1 million bail.

There are some contradictions in the evolving narrative relating to the case. It is indicated on the Bring Erika Home Facebook page that Campbell in some fashion cooperated with the authorities, and came forward to tell the sheriff’s department that she and Krough had moved the Accord on June 16, 2020. Nevertheless, she is subject to a $1 million bail hold. Another inconsistency is that the timeline given with regard to Lloyd’s disappearance indicated that the Highway Patrol was informed about the Accord blocking access onto Shelton Road from Highway 62 sometime around or shortly after 4 p.m. on June 16, 2020. According to the sheriff’s department, however, Krough and Campbell did not take the car until sometime after 6 p.m.

[..]

I'm guessing it's because of her long record, three strikes law?
Yes, its based on prior convictions (including plea bargains) and the seriousness of the present crime (together with the risk of elopement). E.g. OJ Simpson had no record but his flight risk was high and he had the money to flee.

I know her car was stolen after the crash, so I guess it was still operable. With it gone, she was without whatever she had in that car. Why she walked out into a field, though, is so strange. If the thieves could drive it, I assume she could have driven it.

I wonder if they found her cell phone, ever. At any rate, police say no evidence of foul play (although the stolen car may have contributed to her demise).

I know her car was stolen after the crash, so I guess it was still operable. With it gone, she was without whatever she had in that car. Why she walked out into a field, though, is so strange. If the thieves could drive it, I assume she could have driven it.

I wonder if they found her cell phone, ever. At any rate, police say no evidence of foul play (although the stolen car may have contributed to her demise).
^^BBM
They [Krough & Campbell] used a pickup truck with either a winch or a chain and hook to separate the Accord from the berm. It is believed that Campbell then sought to drive it south on Shelton Road. By the time the car had reached Twentynine Palms Highway, roughly 1.98 miles from where Lloyd had abandoned it, the car was severely overheating, and the couple abandoned the car in the middle of Shelton Road.
^^rsbm

No, I don't think Lloyd could drive the vehicle when it required a truck with a winch or chain to move it off the berm. And the perps certainly didn't get far!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back