GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
About "hunting"

Do we know that they claimed they were hunting some sort of animal? People also hunt rocks and fossils. This is also illegal in Joshua Tree, but WAAAAAAAY easier to get away with than using a gun. You know, because there wouldn't actually be a big BOOM.

Was the word "hunting" used or "shooting"? Shooting could indicate photography (which ties in with what EC told her mom) I know the press is saying "hunting" but could that be a misinterpretation?

I agree. I think IM would have allowed them to search without a warrant, but that may cause issues down the road. Also serving a warrant can be intimidating and maybe meant to rattle IM and the Lees along with search.

This makes me sad. I know nothing about running a horse rescue ranch or the space needed to do so. But it seems IM has devoted her life to helping mistreated horses. Just can't understand why people are so eager to throw her under the bus. So far, that I know of anyway, there's no reason to believe anything other than she landed smack dab in the middle of a personal crime between people who volunteered at her ranch.

Ummm,no. There have been successful prosecutions in CA without a body. Hans Reiser is a fairly recent, famous one. After conviction, he gave up the location of his wife's body- previously claiming she fled to Russia. Pretty sure Antolin Garcia will be going to trial without Sierra LaMar's body too. If there is enough circumstantial evidence to prove murder (blood, DNA, hair, fibers) it can be done.

I completely agree with you, however, at this point there is no crime scene, thus no DNA, blood, fibers, etc. I think in this particular case LE is going to have a tough time unless they find either Erin and/or a crime scene.

If CL ends up admitting to the affair he can use that relationship to explain away any fingerprints, hair, DNA or even blood in either his car or in EC's car.

Thanks Meemaw12. Good recap covering the second weekend of the search. Sgt. explains they were searching Joshua Tree Park and north of there. Teams were going into mines and other teams were in vehicles suited for desert driving looking for signs of Erin nearby. Challenging to search when the temperature is 109 degrees.

"Lee told Erin he was taking her hunting"
from the probable cause statement
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1225468-1765-001.html

About "hunting"

Do we know that they claimed they were hunting some sort of animal? People also hunt rocks and fossils. This is also illegal in Joshua Tree, but WAAAAAAAY easier to get away with than using a gun. You know, because there wouldn't actually be a big BOOM.

Was the word "hunting" used or "shooting"? Shooting could indicate photography (which ties in with what EC told her mom) I know the press is saying "hunting" but could that be a misinterpretation?

If I found out my husband had been cheating on me, I would want HIM dead! Not the girlfriend.

Some women (or men) want their lives undisrupted more...and somehow think getting rid of the other person will do that.

That's inconsistent with the text to her friend. I think CL knew, but perhaps not NL.

I know that what she said in the text to her GF but we don't really know if CL knew or not.
I cant see him wanting to celebrate a pregnancy. JMO
I think its possible Erin was playing up the entire thing.... I don't know just my train of thought right now.

About "hunting"

I think hunting must have been the word used. Also one profile written about Erin from TN said she loved shooting...which seemed like they meant guns, not photos.

From the PCA:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentcloud.org/documents/1225468/1765-001.pdf

JT, Erin's friend in Tennessee,confirmed Erin and Lee were romantically involved and Erin may be pregnant with Lee's child. Erin told [Friend] that Lee was worried if his wife discovered Erin was pregnant, Lee's wife would divorce him and keep him from his child.[Friend] knew Erin and Lee were going on a day trip together on 062814, for a celebration of Erin's pregnancy. [Friend] forwarded text messages from Erin to support these claims. Lee told Erin they were going to have a special day together and he would be taking Erin to an undisclosed location, approximately two hours from 29 Palms. Lee told Erin he was going to take her hunting. It is highly likely Erin could have been harmed by an unknown firearm. Sometime after Erin left with Lee, her phone was deactivated ( turned off ). Detectives believe if Erin was injured and left at an undisclosed location, she would not be able to call for help.

Surely Lee was worried that his wife might divorce him just for having an affair and continuing to cheat...let alone getting Erin pregnant!

That's inconsistent with the text to her friend. I think CL knew, but perhaps not NL.

I find it hard to believe a girl was described by friends/family as not liking to get her boots dirty or play in the mud, would consider going hunting to be a romantic date...

I just don't see any reason why she would be involved and throw away all she's worked for. As a rescuer, you take all the assistance you can get. I think the Lees were helping hands to IM. Due to their past commitment to rescue she helped them out with place to stay prior to move. JMO

I understand what you are saying about IM and I do not mean any disrespect to IM ..but how does running a horse rescue ranch elevate IM to a moral high ground ? CL & NL devoted time and energy , compassion to the rescue horses too and are looking like the prime suspects in EC's disappearance .

I've thought about it for the very reason I haven't been able to figure out why she would plan to spend the day with CL when she knew he was leaving in the very near future. Either plans for the future were made between CL & EC to be together (whether it was a lie on his part or not) or she was planning to stay with JC whether "the baby" was his or not.

Instead of text messages of sorrow and dread that CL would soon be leaving her, she texts her friend in TN that she and CL would be spending the day together to celebrate her pregnancy. I can't put that together in my head.

This is going to be delicate. Could the reason boil down to experience. One time I ate a homegrown tomato and could not get over how wonderful the flavor was. If all tomatoes tasted like that one did, I'd eat them all day long. Whoever grew that tomato had skills.

Is there any benefit to thinking about the time they were both supposed to be gone that day? If he lured her out to do away with her right away why was he planning to be gone all day ? Why would they both independently have that timeline? He could have said he would be back by noon and maybe it would have been harder to connect them. I actually think this was not planned. I think they did drive 2 hrs away to spend the day there and something happened. I think it was supposed to be a "goodbye for now-we tried to quit each other and we couldn't but now I'm going back to Alaska and we have to move on" thing. Maybe he was going to talk to her about what to do with his baby-we may never know. But we do know that he was worried about losing his child with Nichole. She had already threatened that likely after affair first found out.

I was able to confirm NL & CL's house had an actual garage today in regards to the shed question from yesterday.

I don't think CL knew she was pregnant till she got in the car with him that morning!

I know that what she said in the text to her GF but we don't really know if CL knew or not.
I cant see him wanting to celebrate a pregnancy. JMO
I think its possible Erin was playing up the entire thing.... I don't know just my train of thought right now.

"Erin told (friend in Tennessee via text messages) that Lee was worried if his wife discovered Erin was pregnant, Lee’s wife would divorce him and keep him from his child." -- from probable cause statement.

He knew. And he could be eligible for the death penalty under the special circumstances of either 1) multiple murders, or 2) lying in wait. Are you listening CL? Better make a deal now before the search teams find the body. Once they find the body, you are toast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HOLLYMOORE73