GUILTY CA - Faith Tsarnas & Kiya Kitchen, Both 14, Die In Hit & Run, Fortuna, 12 July 2016

Eureka Attorney Ben Okin, reached by phone this morning, said he is representing the suspect in the case and that, through him, she made contact with police yesterday. "We made contact with law enforcement," Okin said. "They didn't know who she was. We made contact with them. ... As far as I know, at the time we made contact on the driver's behalf, law enforcement didn't have any information on the identity of the driver. That (call) is what led to them being able to serve the search warrant. It wasn't something they discovered, as far as I know."

"We offered to turn the driver in," Okin continued, "but law enforcement wants to do some more investigation before they make a formal arrest."

Okin declined to identify his client, saying he's "leaving it to law enforcement to decide the appropriate time to do that" as their investigation moves forward.
http://www.northcoastjournal.com/Ne...e-located-in-double-fatal-fortuna-hit-and-run

Hypothetically speaking; the "she" being referred to by the Attorney, could be a Mom. But the driver of the Jeep, could be the victim's sibling or parent?

A couple of things from the Times Standard:

The vehicle was not covered when it was located.

CHP and Fortuna Police officers had found the vehicle - a gray 2015 Jeep Wrangler - in the backyard of a residence on Becker Lane on Wednesday afternoon. The vehicle was not covered, May said.

The vehicle involved in hitting the girls sustained a considerable amount of damage at the scene.

Investigators were able to determine the make and model of the car due to the parts that had fallen off the vehicle during the collision, which included the entire driver's side front fender. The damage to the vehicle that officers located on Wednesday matched the debris found at the crime scene, Abshire said.
http://www.times-standard.com/gener...it-and-run-found-at-one-of-victims-residences

Simply tragic. Prayers for the families involved...

Gosh, I am not saying this lightly, but... pokemon? Please don't bash me, I am just trying to think how this could have happened to begin with. So sad for these girls and those who knew and loved them. So very tragic. Wow.

Gosh, I am not saying this lightly, but... pokemon? Please don't bash me, I am just trying to think how this could have happened to begin with. So sad for these girls and those who knew and loved them. So very tragic. Wow.

That's very possible. There was a car accident yesterday in my city because someone was chasing pokemon.

Judging from the obituary the identified girl is the one who died at the scene. If that's correct then that means the driver of the Jeep was a family member to the other girl who was in the hospital overnight.

One of the girls was pronounced dead at the scene when first responders arrived. The other victim was airlifted to an Oakland hospital where she died from her injuries Wednesday morning around 6:30 a.m., according to the CHP.

The gray 2015 Jeep Wrangler that struck the two girls while they were skateboarding on Eel River Drive around 9:15 p.m. on Tuesday was recovered a day later during a warranted search of the backyard of one of the victim’s residences on Becker Lane, about a mile from the scene of the crime, the CHP confirmed Thursday.

http://www.times-standard.com/article/NJ/20160714/NEWS/160719936

So did that family member go to the hospital to be with the dying girl?

IMO It really sounds like a drunk driving incident. Completely avoidable. What a nightmare.

What a tragedy! Why isn't this more in the news?!

The comments on the linked articles are interesting, to say the least. The person who committed the hit and run still hasn't been arrested, AFAIK. The CHP is saying, from a few days ago, that they are unsure where the individual is but the family attorney has said that the person will make themselves available if and when the CHP wants them. Why hasn't there been an update? Is the person who hit the girls alluding LE? Who was driving the car?!

The second girl deserves to be buried and her friends and family need some resolution soon.

Rest in peace, FLT and KK. I hope your family can remain strong in light of your deaths and, if there was a criminal act, that you both receive justice.

Yes, I keep checking and finding nothing. I *think* I read a comment on one of the articles saying they are cousins, but who knows. I wish we just knew more.

the other girl was Kiya Kitchen and the mother is Marci Kitchen according to the above article.

Here is the latest from Kym. CHP has made good progress but still hasn't spoken to the main suspect. They are not ready to release information to the public yet. They do say that they were aware of the car before the attorney notified them.

Recording of scanned at link.
http://kymkemp.com/2016/07/19/good-...death-of-fortuna-teens-says-chp-spokesperson/

Thanks everyone for starting this thread and keeping it going. As a former Humboldt resident, I've been following the story mostly on Kym's site and hadn't had the heart to come to the thread yet. What a tragedy. :(

I can certainly see why the owner of the vehicle hired this particular attorney. He's gotten at least two hit and run defendants off, along with defendants for other violent crimes. I know people have a right to a defense, but he seems to advertise his success defending some really bad stuff.

http://www.eurekacriminaldefenselawyer.com/Case-Results.aspx

I don't listen to audio 911 calls, ever, after listening to the Saylor 911 call (san Diego, their accelerator stuck and they crashed full speed into a hill) but I read the transcribe and I have tears. he didn't even see the other girl. where was she? off to the side?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrown
Back