Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ John Root Fitzpatrick, 55, (fnd dec.), 30 Jul ‘23 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Above snipped for focus ^

How does the condition of JRF’s home (on 8/1 as noted by deputies performing a wellbeing check) fit into this possible scenario, though—the open front door, the odor of decomposition?
Who knows. We don't know what had been decomposing, nor if anybody else had entered the trailer and left the door open. It's all an unknown.

If, for example, JRF had killed JF, left her in the trailer for a day or two, and then moved her somewhere else before taking his own life at Harper Canyon... would he have cared about airing out the trailer to get rid of the smell? Maybe, maybe not.

None of this really makes sense, mostly because the tiny snippets of information have so many gaps. LE have released hardly anything.

From the photos, it looks like they were in the northeast section of Joshua Tree National Park on the 21st. That’s the day the photo in the Old Dale Mining district was taken. Then the video on Adobe Rd. in 29 Palms was taken that evening. It looks like they were exploring the northeast area, then took Adobe Rd towards the military base on the was home for the evening. Presumably to get gas before turning in for the night.

So, if they were on Old Dale Road during the day, then they were nearer to Morongo Valley than if they were at 29 Palms.

Does someone know the direction of travel in the night time video? I always thought it was east to west (heading back to Morongo). But if they were on Old Dale Road earlier, I'd think they did the classic loop through northern Joshua Tree - Old Dale to Hidden Valley (stopping at scenic viewpoints) then back north to 29 Palms (the exit from Joshua Tree is just east of 29 Palms, so that could explain their direction of travel).

That was a long day at Joshua Tree, if they're just exiting the park at nearly 10 pm (allowing time for them to get to the main road). Long, very hot day, really.

I wonder why JF didn't take more pictures that day. Maybe they arrived at Old Dale late in the day (for coolness).

I wouldn't say they took the road "toward the military base." It's the only road from that part of the park back to Morongo - we don't know that they stopped in 29 Palms at all, much less at the base, right?

IMO.

So, if they were on Old Dale Road during the day, then they were nearer to Morongo Valley than if they were at 29 Palms.

Does someone know the direction of travel in the night time video? I always thought it was east to west (heading back to Morongo). But if they were on Old Dale Road earlier, I'd think they did the classic loop through northern Joshua Tree - Old Dale to Hidden Valley (stopping at scenic viewpoints) then back north to 29 Palms (the exit from Joshua Tree is just east of 29 Palms, so that could explain their direction of travel).

That was a long day at Joshua Tree, if they're just exiting the park at nearly 10 pm (allowing time for them to get to the main road). Long, very hot day, really.

I wonder why JF didn't take more pictures that day. Maybe they arrived at Old Dale late in the day (for coolness).

I wouldn't say they took the road "toward the military base." It's the only road from that part of the park back to Morongo - we don't know that they stopped in 29 Palms at all, much less at the base, right?

IMO.
It had been determined to be on Adobe Road, heading north (towards the base).

Our VI, I think, said the location of where the video was shot is 4 minutes away from the base. (But I need to re-check that)

Ok, our VI said:
”The video is about 4minutes from entrance Marine base in 29 palms”

Last edited:

IMO.
They were on Ivanhoe Mine Rd in the Old Dale Mining District. From the map, it’s south of Rt 62 and about 20 miles east of 29 Palms. To return to Morongo Valley they would have gone north to 62, then west on 62. Instead of simply continuing west on 62, they turned north on Adobe Rd, towards the base. They were traveling north in the video.

Fang sent about 10 pictures to her family that day, including a few showing what appears to be the setting sun. We haven’t identified the locations for most of them, but they were probably in that NE section of JTNP. Plus, it’s very likely she took many more photos but only shared a few with her friends/family.

Last edited:
It had been determined to be on Adobe Road, heading north (towards the base).

Our VI, I think, said the location of where the video was shot is 4 minutes away from the base. (But I need to re-check that)

Ok, our VI said:
”The video is about 4minutes from entrance Marine base in 29 palms”

I've put together an image from JF's video with an image of what appears to be the same stretch of road from Google Maps:

JF's video.jpg

Who knows. We don't know what had been decomposing, nor if anybody else had entered the trailer and left the door open. It's all an unknown.

If, for example, JRF had killed JF, left her in the trailer for a day or two, and then moved her somewhere else before taking his own life at Harper Canyon... would he have cared about airing out the trailer to get rid of the smell? Maybe, maybe not.

None of this really makes sense, mostly because the tiny snippets of information have so many gaps. LE have released hardly anything.
^ Bolded by me

Maybe not leaving it open in order to air the place out but just leaving hurriedly with no intention of returning?

^ Bolded by me

Maybe not leaving it open in order to air the place out but just leaving hurriedly with no intention of returning?

Could be. At this point I have no trouble believing tragic accident, JRF doing something to JF, both being the victims of a crime, etc. There's so little real information to go on.

The smell could be suspicious or innocent depending on the source. The door being open could be suspicious or innocent depending on who did it and why. We have no answers to those questions. A lot of it is weird but not necessarily suspicious.

Just the car being found up in the mountains in such an inaccessible place is a bit weird. Our VI, Mark, has said he was told JF's backpack was found near the foot of the Harper Canyon trail where JRF's remains were found. Possibly washed down from up in the mountains by the flooding. That suggests JF's belongings, at least, were with him.

It's all very strange.

Could be. At this point I have no trouble believing tragic accident, JRF doing something to JF, both being the victims of a crime, etc. There's so little real information to go on.

The smell could be suspicious or innocent depending on the source. The door being open could be suspicious or innocent depending on who did it and why. We have no answers to those questions. A lot of it is weird but not necessarily suspicious.

Just the car being found up in the mountains in such an inaccessible place is a bit weird. Our VI, Mark, has said he was told JF's backpack was found near the foot of the Harper Canyon trail where JRF's remains were found. Possibly washed down from up in the mountains by the flooding. That suggests JF's belongings, at least, were with him.

It's all very strange.
^ bolded by me

Except our VI also said
“We are still waiting for official report of finding backpack , contents and proof it was Fangs one. We are still waiting for official report of finding backpack , contents and proof it was Fangs one.... if LE does not communicate this to our PI then we assume it is fake news or someone else his/her backpack ... because at least we and our PI should be informed about her and her belongings....“

so apparently it has not yet been confirmed to be Fang’s.

Last edited:
posted by Mark1969 Fang's Verified Insider on her case!

7/21 - Visited Ivanhoe Mine Rd. (Old Dale Mining District)
22hr15: sent out last video to family wechat group(group of 4 people including parents, Lin and FJ herself) from 29 Palms (Adobe Rd. going N from Whites Sands Dr. to Desert Sands Dr. to Palms Baptist Church); Together with this video there is a message saying that ‘this is a small town in the desert, there are quite many lights during this hour…….we plan to go camping. this is FJ’s last known location
22hr19: Same last video and same message was sent via Wechat messeger to wife of the chinese friend that picked her at airport. However that person said that in the past FJ never sent to her any wechat messege or video. this is FJ’s last phone message
22hr19: JRF entered MCAGCC 29palms, he registered for his own entrance

^ bolded by me

Except our VI also said
“We are still waiting for official report of finding backpack , contents and proof it was Fangs one. We are still waiting for official report of finding backpack , contents and proof it was Fangs one.... if LE does not communicate this to our PI then we assume it is fake news or someone else his/her backpack ... because at least we and our PI should be informed about her and her belongings....“

so apparently it has not yet been confirmed to be Fang’s.
I'd somehow missed that post, so thank you for that!

At this point, whether JF was alive or dead by the time JRF and his car went into the mountains, my gut tells me she's also somewhere nearby.

My current speculation.

Something happened at the trailer late on the 21st or early on the 22nd, that resulted in FJ's death. I've noted in a previous post the numerous reasons conflict can arise in their situation, but I will also add to that the possibility that he may have lead her to believe his accommodations were better than they were as someone else suggested. We know she has a homestay business in Portugal, so I do think someone with that background would be disappointed with the mobile home accommodations at that mobile home park, if not expecting it. Just another reason to add to the long list of things that make their plans ripe for conflict.

Based on the odor of decomposition, and the assumption this wasn't planned in advance, I think it would make sense for JRF to spend some time driving around, sleeping elsewhere, trying to figure out what to do.

This is where the accidental death of JRF may become a possibility. If he were hypothetically trying to dispose of a body in 115 degree heat in a remote area while keeping a low profile, that would involve a level of exertion he may not have been prepared for, even with his military training. That would reconcile any evidence indicting he expected to return to his home. It would also explain why FJ has not been found, if he did go to the effort of hiding her (something not worth the effort if you decide to just take your own life).

But I also continue to think it's possible he took his own life as he processed the reality of the situation, obviously just depending on whether other evidence in the area may support that -- I think the police know this. Pills would be the only method that wouldn't leave evidence behind, and that's certainly possible, but my understanding is that's a more common method among women than men. And I find this possibility harder to reconcile with the discovery of just her backpack nearby, though I know the rains could have moved things unpredictably and it's a challenging area to search.

This whole post is MOO as to possibilities I find to be more likely than others.

Last edited:
It doesn’t seem unreasonable to me if the only purpose for entering the base (we don’t know the purpose) was for filling up his pickup truck with gas at the gas station there.

If they had had a full day of driving around touring sites (burning a lot of gas as a result) and the plan was to do more driving the next morning, maybe JRF thought it prudent to fill up the gas tank that night.

Maybe he always fills up there due to the better prices, and who knows, maybe he has a credit card that gives him cash back rewards there (just thinking how my family always fills up at Costco, and with their credit card we get even more cash back rewards when we fill up there.)

MOO

Hate to keep interrupting, but I've forgotten how we know they were ever at the base that night. I had assumed there was no other point of reference for the 21st than the Adobe Road picture - but if they were on Old Dale earlier, then to me it makes sense that they looped through the amazing area that is central and northeast Joshua Tree, and chose the only route back home.

Any confirmation they were on the base more than once? It's true that they would likely have needed gas. I would think if someone had a choice between filling up in Morongo Valley and 29 Palms, they would indeed make the little detour to go to the base. That would put it closer to midnight when they got back to Morongo (it's about 40 minutes the way most desert people drive - but the fill-up would have taken at least an extra 20 minutes to drive through town and onto base and back).

^ Bolded by me

So, you think that whoever left the door open wasn't concerned that there was a dead person inside?

I assume you mean someone other than JRF, who would surely expect to return to his own home (unless?)

You think the person who left the door open didn't know there was something that could decompose inside? So either very inattentive, OR, the death occurred after the door was left open?

Do you think it's possible that someone transported a dead body from the mobile home (after enough time for decomp occurred)? Who could it be? Surely it's not a random person. The most likely people would be JF or JRF - certainly not the only other person known to be in there, as he's still alive.

to me, leaving hurriedly when a place contains a dead person is not surprising - but not reporting that dead person and trying to get aid is inexplicable.

Who does that?

<mod note - VI post added to this one>

July 16 (both on cctv) & 21st (22hr19:JRF entered MCAGCC 29palms, he registered for his own entrance)

Snipped...
...On July 16, the couple was seen on surveillance video purchasing toiletries inside the Marine Corps Exchange at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center, a military base in Twentynine Palms.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's all very strange.

To me, it's suspicious because a woman who was once in the trailer is missing. Decomp is never a small thing. To get enough odor of decomp from a rat or mouse to last for days (with or without door open) is quite something. For an officer to say they smelled decomp before ever entering is something.

Surely you understand that decomposition has to be explained? It's a big deal. Something dead was in there. It's never "innocent" in a missing person's investigation, IMO. It MUST be treated as suspicious. It's not just "weird."

Finding a car in the mountains afterwards is also suspicious (a truck belonging to the owner of the place with the deomp). It's not just unusual (weird). It's a clue. That's what clues are.

I thought our VI said the backpack was near Highway 78. Before we start speculating about it being "washed" from up on the ridges, we should probably figure out where it really was.

IMO.

To me, it's suspicious because a woman who was once in the trailer is missing. Decomp is never a small thing. To get enough odor of decomp from a rat or mouse to last for days (with or without door open) is quite something. For an officer to say they smelled decomp before ever entering is something.

Surely you understand that decomposition has to be explained? It's a big deal. Something dead was in there. It's never "innocent" in a missing person's investigation, IMO. It MUST be treated as suspicious. It's not just "weird."

Finding a car in the mountains afterwards is also suspicious (a truck belonging to the owner of the place with the deomp). It's not just unusual (weird). It's a clue. That's what clues are.

I thought our VI said the backpack was near Highway 78. Before we start speculating about it being "washed" from up on the ridges, we should probably figure out where it really was.

IMO.

I know the smell of decomposition is a big deal unless there's an innocent explantion. But at this point we have no explanation at all because LE haven't said anything. It should be thoroughly investigated (and I'm sure it has been). What if JRF had a dead animal trapped under his trailer for some time and only removed it shortly before JF arrived--could something like a raccoon create enough of an odor that it would linger so long? I'm genuinely asking because I don't know.

I'm calling these things "weird" until LE declare them to be something more sinister. That's all.

It was our VI who speculated the backpack was washed down from the canyon, because it was found near the road at the foot of the trail where JRF and his car were found:

From a volunteer Search & Recue member , we got a message that Jin's backpack would have been found nearby the rd 78 (washed down by the Canyon rains ?) 2 or 3 miles from trailhead- Harper Canyon , his truck was on the other end of Harper Canyon, nearby Pinion Wash.... please all ... focus helping search in that location area for finding Jin Fang

I wonder if the truck broke down and they were trying to walk back to Route 78? If the truck was "pretty wrecked", could JRF have wrecked the truck driving it to Harper Flat?
I had to look this up but the flooding was August 20th or thereabouts

August 20, 2023 Storm Hilary batters California after ...

1698201052165.png
CNN.com
https://www.cnn.com › hurricane-hilary-path-08-20-23

Aug 20, 2023 — Hilary is expected to cause "catastrophic and life-threatening" floods in parts of California and Nevada, where a year's worth of rain could ...

and JRF and FJ "stop communicating" 7/21 and 7/24. So the big storm and flooding do not really explain the situation... A whole month before the storm could cause anything. It complicates the situation but does not explain what happened, IMO.

IMO.
Thank you @10ofRods Decomposition smell & JF's phone (odd lack of communication/then dead phone?), homicide attachment, woman missing, man found dead. Where is the public outcry for more information?

With the temps cooling down there are lots of amazing events planned in the surrounding areas, including hikes, climbing, Halloween trick & treaters (even on base), parties. If there is an unexplained homicide in the area IDK why people are not demanding an update from LE? I know the case is sealed but the public has a right to know if it's safe to be out & about in the parks, on the trails, going to markets, festivals, normal fall fun stuff. Maybe locals can get the newspapers to write more about this from a safety point of view.

JMO

I believe we know that whatever had been decomposing is larger than a mouse or a desert rat.

Unless of course we disbelieve the investigating officers, which I do not,

I believe it was animal, don't you?

The order of events is indeed puzzling. But it's entirely possible that if someone moved a body, they still had hope of not being discovered so doing.

IMO.

Thank you @10ofRods Decomposition smell & JF's phone (odd lack of communication/then dead phone?), homicide attachment, woman missing, man found dead. Where is the public outcry for more information?

With the temps cooling down there are lots of amazing events planned in the surrounding areas, including hikes, climbing, Halloween trick & treaters (even on base), parties. If there is an unexplained homicide in the area IDK why people are not demanding an update from LE? I know the case is sealed but the public has a right to know if it's safe to be out & about in the parks, on the trails, going to markets, festivals, normal fall fun stuff. Maybe locals can get the newspapers to write more about this from a safety point of view.

JMO

Truthfully - I don't see any of those desert communities as having that kind of culture. Heck, I live pretty far away, and we don't have that culture where I live. No planned hikes to wilderness areas (or even to some of our more close-in areas). Hallowe'en? Barely on the radar of most people - I'll say more after it actually happens, but there's not much going on where I live.

Unexplained homicide? With most people not reading MSM and certainly not reading the local LE FB, I'm not surprised that there's not more public outcry.

We have no local newspapers to speak of (SD County does - which is why it finally made the news, IMO).

Our newspapers are mostly owned by corporate, IMO. And there are lots of missing people, sadly.

IMO.

I had to look this up but the flooding was August 20th or thereabouts

August 20, 2023 Storm Hilary batters California after ...

View attachment 455678
CNN.com
https://www.cnn.com › hurricane-hilary-path-08-20-23

Aug 20, 2023 — Hilary is expected to cause "catastrophic and life-threatening" floods in parts of California and Nevada, where a year's worth of rain could ...

and JRF and FJ "stop communicating" 7/21 and 7/24. So the big storm and flooding do not really explain the situation... A whole month before the storm could cause anything. It complicates the situation but does not explain what happened, IMO.
You can look it up on weather histories. It's a bit later for ABorrego (21-22 is what my notes say). Three weeks or more after this pair go missing.

IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members