Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ JohnRoot Fitzpatrick, 55, missing, 30 Jul ‘23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LE never confirmed that the last known location was Julian. That was second hand information given to her daughter by a park ranger.
actually we have 5 missing objects/persons to be located that hopefully are on same location but could be 5 different ones :
1) Jin Fang (callname Yama)
2) John Root Fitzpatrick
3) cellphone of Jin Fang (last used on 21st of july 22pm and not pinged after 22nd of July)
4) cellphone of John Root Fitzpatrick (not pinged after 24th of july)
5) Blue Toyota Tacoma truck (last captured on camera on 22nd of july)

Julian has some trees but I do not think there is too much "brush" in the desert. Rods may know more about that area...
I followed the road leading out on Google maps and there were quite a few sharp curves in the road with a lot of foliage beneath them. If the truck were to have gone off the road at one of these curves, it could have easily been concealed. That is why I suggested it.

I followed the road leading out on Google maps and there were quite a few sharp curves in the road with a lot of foliage beneath them. If the truck were to have gone off the road at one of these curves, it could have easily been concealed. That is why I suggested it.

There are SO many places where that could happen. It doesn’t explain why her phone apparently stopped working 2-3 days before his, though. There may have only been one charger (I’m known to let my phone run down on battery when we’re traveling, because…we have two phones in the car). But, the fact that FJ wasn’t able to reconnect with the world is very concerning.

There are SO many places where that could happen. It doesn’t explain why her phone apparently stopped working 2-3 days before his, though. There may have only been one charger (I’m known to let my phone run down on battery when we’re traveling, because…we have two phones in the car). But, the fact that FJ wasn’t able to reconnect with the world is very concerning.
Agree- it’s odd that the two phones stopped at different times. If they had an accident, both phones would ping in the same location, never move, and then the phones would die within 24 hrs or so of each other. It makes you wonder about murder, hide the body, then suicide somewhere else (or disappear from somewhere else).

64da36024a1e9:original.jpeg

IMO he wasn't posing for this pic - to me it seems as tho he is (mid-) movement - towards her obviously & i do have to wonder if she (sneakily) meant to include the license plate number...just moo.
Thank you @tarabull for posting this. I am also bothered after seeing this photo bc of what I have marked with arrows below. It may be my eyes are seeing things that are not there but I can't unsee them and would like others to tell me if they see them too. TIA. First why are the tops of JRF's boots all sandy? When I looked at them more closely I noticed what appears to be a person a ways back behind JRF in the brush/maybe taking a bathroom break or shaking sand from something. The boots could have gotten sand on the top if JRF had been kneeling on a pad, feet off the pad sinking into the sand, perhaps to fix a tire or help fix a tire. OR the boots are just old and very scuffed on the top for some reason and then it's not sand at all.

Then there's the reflected shape in the back of JRF's passenger side mirror. It looks to me like JRF pulled over behind a white/light colored vehicle, possibly a pickup. That white/light vehicle driver door appears open. The dark shapes in the reflection middle I assumed are people in the back of the truck bed, maybe some workers.

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 4.44.51 AM.jpeg Enhanced blowup of back reflection in JRF's passenger side mirror.

This could mean JRF & Fang Jin met up with others on this dirt road who turned out to be bad actors. Not speaking/figuring out Fang Jin's phone / Chinese, perhaps they ditched her phone and only kept JRF's for a couple days while hiding/getting rid of his blue truck.

OR it is totally nothing at all and I am just seeing things that don't exist. But I wanted to point it out bc it has been very difficult to unsee. My speculation, opinion only.
Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 4.44.51 AM.jpegScreenshot 2023-09-22 at 4.44.51 AM.jpeg

john root fitz fang.jpeg

I agree completely. We need to lay out the details and timeline and make sure we all have the same information.

Thanks for linking the map! I made a few minor changes. Fang Jin Case Map This map has had nearly 1,800 views since I created it.

It's a great tool to be able to see their known actions mapped out...

@mark1969
Just checking you've seen slightly updated map from ClaireNC which overrides her previous one - give Fang Jin Case Map to PI

It's certainly of great worry that Jin Fang's phone last pinged on 21st

That last small video clip at Twenty-nine Palms that swung side to side of the road could be nothing more than brief shot of roadsides OR it has been suggested she now knew she was in trouble and was just able to
surreptitiously click record as a shout out as to where he was taking her at that time

Going south truck is photographed on 22nd at Thermal near Salton Sea which according to locals aint exactly a beauty spot!

Further south to Julian Fitz phone pings on 24th

21st 22nd 23rd 24th - if able, we have to say she would have made contact after 21st. It can't be as simple as phone issue. His phone was still going for 3 days - we don't just call and text on phones...they are mini computers in our pockets.

I believe this time period between 21 and 24 holds the key to where she is. Can be narrowed down to 22-23 (last contact was very late 21) I think he was travelling alone after 23.

I've recently read up on this case, and oh, how my heart aches for her and her family. She seems like such a lovely and intelligent woman. It must be so incredibly frustrating for her daughters to be so far away and feel so helpless.

I'm really glad to hear that a private investigator has been hired to be boots on the ground. That is a huge first step. It's such vast and unforgiving terrain.

I wish I was optimistic about the outcome here, but for so many reasons I'm just not. I really hope that there are answers soon, and if needed, a path to justice.

Thank you @tarabull for posting this. I am also bothered after seeing this photo bc of what I have marked with arrows below. It may be my eyes are seeing things that are not there but I can't unsee them and would like others to tell me if they see them too. TIA. First why are the tops of JRF's boots all sandy? When I looked at them more closely I noticed what appears to be a person a ways back behind JRF in the brush/maybe taking a bathroom break or shaking sand from something. The boots could have gotten sand on the top if JRF had been kneeling on a pad, feet off the pad sinking into the sand, perhaps to fix a tire or help fix a tire. OR the boots are just old and very scuffed on the top for some reason and then it's not sand at all.

Then there's the reflected shape in the back of JRF's passenger side mirror. It looks to me like JRF pulled over behind a white/light colored vehicle, possibly a pickup. That white/light vehicle driver door appears open. The dark shapes in the reflection middle I assumed are people in the back of the truck bed, maybe some workers.

View attachment 448770 Enhanced blowup of back reflection in JRF's passenger side mirror.

This could mean JRF & Fang Jin met up with others on this dirt road who turned out to be bad actors. Not speaking/figuring out Fang Jin's phone / Chinese, perhaps they ditched her phone and only kept JRF's for a couple days while hiding/getting rid of his blue truck.

OR it is totally nothing at all and I am just seeing things that don't exist. But I wanted to point it out bc it has been very difficult to unsee. My speculation, opinion only.
View attachment 448761View attachment 448762

View attachment 448763
think it would be easy to have dusty boots in the desert
figure, though really distant, could be Fang?
wish you could blow up the truck mirror even more because I cannot see anything
JRF looks perfectly healthy in this picture; fairly clean, clean shaven. the truck looks fine ...
curious where the camera was -was it obvious? why was he leaving the truck door open? and was he going to take equipment out to camp or have a pit stop? Lastly, they have this picture but nothing before or after? that seems unlikely IMO

I have a ton of apps on my phone that run in the background. Especially social media. My phone battery doesn’t last a day. My father on the other hand has minimal apps on his phone and his phone will last on standby for several days uncharged. I don’t see any issue with this face personally.

That has been my thought for some time now. I looked up some cell phone coverage maps and it shows it very spotty throughout that area and even worse for international plans.

As far as the route. Scroll out a bit on the map and follow the highway down through thermal over to Julian then look and there are a couple roads that loop around back to Palm Springs.
I find it odd that there are no records of them buying gas-

doubt his truck was brand new but these MPGs are not great .....

2023 Toyota Tacoma - Specs & Features
Fuel & MPG
EPA city/highway MPG18/22 MPG
EPA combined MPG20 MPG
Range in miles (city/hwy)379.8/464.2 mi.
Fuel tank capacity21.1 gal.

but:

Toyota Tacoma Long Range Replacement Fuel ...

1695435263807.jpeg
Exit Offroad
https://exitoffroad.com › product › toyota-tacoma-lon...

Toyota Tacoma Long Range Replacement Fuel Tank 2005-2023 (33gal), adds 52% capacity over your stock fuel tank and extends the distance between gas stations.
$2,245.00 · ‎$200 3–6 day delivery · ‎30-day returns · ‎In stock

did JRF own the truck outright?

Last edited:
I have a ton of apps on my phone that run in the background. Especially social media. My phone battery doesn’t last a day. My father on the other hand has minimal apps on his phone and his phone will last on standby for several days uncharged. I don’t see any issue with this face personally.
I think I said this before but would a survivalist go around in the desert without a solar charger? there's a lot of sun...

I think I said this before but would a survivalist go around in the desert without a solar charger? there's a lot of sun...
I haven't seen anything that said he was a survivalist? Can you tell me where you heard that?
Also, if you don't plan on hiking, traveling far from your vehicle, staying at dispersed sites, etc. it is very possible. My ex used to hike. They went on a 7 day hike with a single stop planned at any form of civilization. They did not take any form of solar charger. They took a small charger that fit in the palm of your hand and charged your phone once or twice. There was no service in most of the areas they planned on being in, so they kept their phones off. It is hard to speculate on what JRF/JF may or may not have done without knowing their plans.

Regarding gas...We don't know how much effort is put into a person that is "voluntarily missing". SBSD may not have looked at all. Or they may have the info and did not share it. So much uncertainty in this case.

I haven't seen anything that said he was a survivalist? Can you tell me where you heard that?
Also, if you don't plan on hiking, traveling far from your vehicle, staying at dispersed sites, etc. it is very possible. My ex used to hike. They went on a 7 day hike with a single stop planned at any form of civilization. They did not take any form of solar charger. They took a small charger that fit in the palm of your hand and charged your phone once or twice. There was no service in most of the areas they planned on being in, so they kept their phones off. It is hard to speculate on what JRF/JF may or may not have done without knowing their plans.

Regarding gas...We don't know how much effort is put into a person that is "voluntarily missing". SBSD may not have looked at all. Or they may have the info and did not share it. So much uncertainty in this case.

RBBM

JRF claims he was a Navy Seal, according to his LinkedIn page.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnfitzpatrick220/

RBBM

JRF claims he was a Navy Seal, according to his LinkedIn page.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnfitzpatrick220/
Seal's receive SERE training (survival, evasion, resistance, escape) as part of that training they learn to live off the land in both desert and cold weather climates. I think that training is more geared toward how to live off the land, track enemy without technology, address injuries, etc. It probably doesn't include, reminders about solar chargers. I think that is apples and oranges with regards to the word survivalist.

The more pertinent aspect of JRF’s Navy Seals training as it relates to this case may not be in his survivalist skills but rather in adhering to the code of the warrior; maintaining fierce loyalty with the clan, always.
IOW, if a member gets in a jam, needs to lay low for a while and/or hide a vehicle, there is a network of bros willing to help him out.

The more pertinent aspect of JRF’s Navy Seals training as it relates to this case may not be in his survivalist skills but rather in adhering to the code of the warrior; maintaining fierce loyalty with the clan, always.
IOW, if a member gets in a jam, needs to lay low for a while and/or hide a vehicle, there is a network of bros willing to help him out.
Indeed ... beside JRF bros in Navy ... who could be close to his network , friends and famliy to release information about him of during last days of july ?

Indeed ... beside JRF bros in Navy ... who could be close to his network , friends and famliy to release information about him of during last days of july ?
The only contacts we have heard about so far seem to be his friend who was in contact with Ms. Lin (Fang Jin's daughter in the PRC) and we know of his ex-wife. I think both of them might be able to shed some light on JRF, his habits, etc. if the PI can talk to them. I know there was some concern about the friend who contacted Ms. Lin, but perhaps a PI can find out more, but be safe!

So far we have not been able to find out anything about JRF's family or other contacts, but there have to be people out there who know him. In the past, did he ever travel to Mexico, and where did he stay when there? What towns in Mexico? Does he have any social media accounts that non-LE can find? The ex-wife might know how to find family members of JRF. Or a close friend of his? I think she is an important resource at this stage, since we don't have anything else to go on with regard to family and friends.

Did he stay in touch with anyone at the VA hospital if he used the VA hospital for his medical needs as a veteran? Did the local post office forward his mail to him somewhere, to a friend or other? Is he still getting his vet retirement checks deposited into his bank account and are there withdrawals being made? Some things a PI can work on, others will be hard to get info except from LE source.

View attachment 448770 Enhanced blowup of back reflection in JRF's passenger side mirror.

View attachment 448761View attachment 448762

View attachment 448763
Is JRF holding his own phone in this picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay