CA CA - Hannah, 16, Devonte, 15, & Sierra Hart, 12, Mendocino County, 26 March 2018 #3

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by cybervampira, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 11223344

11223344 Member

Once they found out CPS was coming? They haven't registered for home school and took kids out in 2011? They'll see a 16 year old who apparently weighs 45 pounds and has two missing front teeth? Other children who are anorexic? No one getting services? And they obviously have lost control of the kids. They may have figured out it was Devonte who went for help because perhaps he was the only one who could leave the house. And now they know the neighbors have a second account of abuse. Or someone does.
    I do believe it's a Pandora's box. Something moved them to Washington and they really isolated in past couple years even reportedly by Jen's own postings. If they'd been withholding meals, possible beatings and bruises. I'm sure CPS would want to know what's next for 19 year old. He would actually be able to take over his own benefits in a transition as a foster. I don't know as an adopted. Or if they were applying for social security on a bunch of them.

Angelsunday likes this.
  2. Compassion

Compassion New Member

Guessing that things in their home had become particularly bad and death-dealing. Thinking things were so bad that Devonte was scared for all of the kids and was desperate to get help. By the end of March, food was routinely being withheld and perhaps physical abuse was becoming the norm.

Something bad was going on in their house---likely Jen was out-of-control and they feared for their safety and their lives---and Devonte took a chance in talking to the neighbors.

Perhaps Jen had deteriorated over the past several weeks or perhaps something

Megan7 likes this.
  3. Whiteorchids

Whiteorchids Well-Known Member

Probably not by the time she got the perfect shot she wanted chickens had pooped all over the table, the kids clothes; hair and the waffles.

4. 11223344

11223344 Member

These women were going to jail for a long time

5. emma.laurens

emma.laurens Inactive

Re: why did Devonte finally seek help?

IMO, it may have been a combination of watching his siblings get weaker, and finally going through the initial phases of delayed puberty (from being underweight) himself. With boys, you can't put off the growth spurt forever, even if they stay underweight and relatively short. Markis is tiny in most of the photos, but at 17 he finally was the same height as Jen. Nowhere near the normal range for someone his age. But tall enough that he might have been able to defend himself.

Devonte also got the most affirmation from adults outside the family. Even though it seems both women tried to isolate them from other influences, it may have been enough to give him a seed of intrinsic worth and self-confidence that the others lacked. Maybe the same thing with Hannah. The Seattle comment suggests (to me) that she met someone from there who made her feel safe.

Just to add, on the subject of the kids' weight... It is possible for children who are underweight before age 7 to stay underweight and fail to grow to a normal height for their age, even after getting proper nutrition. However, that kind of early life malnutrition only has a substantial impact on 30% of children who go on to get adequate food through adolescence and early adulthood. And "substantial impact" means 1"-3" shorter than average for their age. Most of the Hart kids were at least 6" shorter than the normal range for their age.

Barring any other developmental issues (which there is no concrete evidence of, as yet), statistical probability says that two of the kids, at most, would still have been underweight after getting six/nine years of adequate calorie intake. It is highly unlikely that all of them would be so small.

A few people have mentioned that the reason for Markis' facial swelling is due to a parotid gland issue. I looked up reasons for parotid gland swelling in teenagers and came up with this: "Parotid swelling may occur in other disorders, such as diabetes and alcoholism, and in cases of starvation, as seen with soldiers in prison camps." (Medical Issues and Eating Disorders, Allan Kaplan, 2013).

6. Whiteorchids

I wonder if any of the girls had started menstruating yet? Markis was an adult the others were teenagers and getting close to adulthood. It was getting too much for these monsters too handle and control them.

7. rosemadderlake

rosemadderlake Well-Known Member

Hon, damn, we know what we think about this poor child..

And you know what? There isn't a damn thing we can do about it...

8. LonelyChild

LonelyChild Member

I never said there was a damn thing we could do about it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

9. Whiteorchids

Someone had a TV isn’t that satellite antenna on the roof?

[​IMG]

10. liltexans

liltexans Retired WS Staff

I'm working on a new thread. This one will close in 10 minutes.

11. ilovepierre

ilovepierre One day, the lost will be found

My brother is almost 6 and still only wears underwear around the house.
    But every kid is different.

12. ZoriahNZ

ZoriahNZ Well-Known Member

What the heck is that building/trailer in the top left corner of the property? Very removed from the house. My first awful thought was that it could be a place of punishment or isolation if one of the kids stepped out of line. Garden or potting shed? Looks like a caravan, though.

13. ilovepierre

ilovepierre One day, the lost will be found

BBM

IMO, no.
    It looked like it was photo taken just for appearances.

14. liltexans

liltexans Retired WS Staff

This thread is closed. Please continue the discussion in Thread #4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.