Identified! CA - Huntington Beach, WhtFem 40UFCA, 18-30, poss name Andrea, Apr'90 - Andrea Kuiper

Status
Not open for further replies.
A long black dress sounds more goth than not, to me. Long dresses for daytime wear in 1990 weren't usual, were they? I can't actually remember now, that's why I'm asking.

RE was a homeless man who had a brief friendship with Andrea. He is quoted in an OC Register article as saying he was one hundred per cent certain the Andrea struck on the highway was her.

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_action=list&p_topdoc=221

ETA: She was wearing a LONG black dress.
And carrying a crumpled bus schedule.

I get nothing from your link zwiebel. I took at a look at the Orange County Register's archives and they provide a snippet for free and I see the beginning of the story you are referring to.

nice job finding it. I only wish I could read the whole thing!

I removed the name of the witness from zwiebel's post. Per WS Policy, we cannot name those who are not officially named in connection with a case.

But I went ahead and sprung the two bucks for the article.

Here are the key quotes:
Andrea had no permanent home in Orange County and originally came from the East Coast, said [RE], a homeless man who had a brief friendship with her.

"I am 100 percent positive," [RE] said after he was shown pictures of the woman by Huntington Beach police.

[RE] said he met Andrea about two weeks before the accident as he was hitchhiking on Pacific Coast Highway. She was riding in a car with a man who stopped for [RE], he said.

"She was adopted and was trying to find her real family," [RE] said. "She said she was from somewhere like Virginia. And she told another lady (she was from) New York."

[RE] said the woman he knew as Andrea claimed that she was 25 or 26. But she appeared to be as young as 16, he said.

Andrea also spent a night at the home of [CW], a mobile-home salesman who took pity on the homeless woman who had few articles of clothing and no money.

"She didn't have any place to stay," [CW] said. "And no money for food. We fed her, gave her the back bedroom and gave her some money."

[Deputy Coroner Bruce] Lyle had wondered how the apparently destitute woman could have expensive porcelain dental work.

"Her parents, she claimed, were pretty well-known, but she didn't divulge who they were," [CW] said. "She had been adopted at a very young age. She didn't have any type of identification."

Lyle also wondered why his victim had been wearing a ring made of hair, and had hair in her pocket. [CW] said that the morning Andrea left his house, she cut off some of her hair and put it on her finger.

There was nothing in the article regarding the description of her dress.

Take a print screen of the article of you're able to get it again

if the story is not accessible in the public domain and they charge to access the article, there could be a copyright issue if someone took a screenshot and posted it for the public to view.

if the story is not accessible in the public domain and they charge to access the article, there could be a copyright issue if someone took a screenshot and posted it for the public to view.

Carl & I posted at the same time.

She should print screen to keep for her own files.

So I guess we don't know if she was coming to Huntington Beach from the northern CA area or from the San Diego direction or even how long she had been traveling with that last driver.

I wonder what city the bus schedule was for?

I am not sure if I believe her story about being from the east coast or not. If she came from a middle class family (accounting for her dental work) I find it hard to imagine that she would leave on a quest like this without more money in her pocket. I am not limiting my search, just prioritizing, I guess.

So sorry everyone. Sorry as well, CarlK, for posting the name - honestly, I didn't know it wasn't allowed when it was in msm.

I wasn't being mean not purchasing the articles (there are several), it was just that Bob Harrod's thread took off suddenly in the unexpected direction of Australia and I didn't get time.

I will purchase any articles I find over the next day or two and transcribe in my own words any useful info I find. That will resolve any copyright issues.

So I guess we don't know if she was coming to Huntington Beach from the northern CA area or from the San Diego direction or even how long she had been traveling with that last driver.

I wonder what city the bus schedule was for?

I am not sure if I believe her story about being from the east coast or not. If she came from a middle class family (accounting for her dental work) I find it hard to imagine that she would leave on a quest like this without more money in her pocket. I am not limiting my search, just prss.

After reading Carls post I agree. I now believe this young woman was fanciful in her thoughts and most likely had some form or degree of mental illness. It's just baffling that with her expensive dental work we can't track her to a missing persons report. Unless, someone at a dental school (where many poor people go), did some mighty fine work for her? Very odd...very odd indeed.

It's just baffling that with her expensive dental work we can't track her to a missing persons report.

as time goes by I think the question is not "how could someone not report their daughter missing?" but rather "how many thousands of missing persons reports are sitting in file cabinets in police stations from coast to coast?"

Question: are we allowed to link to specific posts on adoption bulletin boards?

Okay then, I just found this one curious. First name and age match UID and also states adopted at 3 1/2, which to me matches "adopted at a very young age". Former foster sister was looking for her in 2001. Again, just a lot of similarities. Doesn't appear to be contact info for archived posts that I can tell.

http://forums.adoption.com/search-b...earching-andrea-dob-12-5-66-adopted-mass.html

Edited to add: I also find it interesting that she is presuming she married and changed her last name since she has been unable to locate her under her adopted last name.

as time goes by I think the question is not "how could someone not report their daughter missing?" but rather "how many thousands of missing persons reports are sitting in file cabinets in police stations from coast to coast?"

I know you are so right webrocket. A perfect example of your point are the matches that are made right here in this forum based on the great sleuthing work of the members. There are precious few LE resources, and face it, are they going to work on cold cases from a decade or more ago or work on the pile of recent cases in front of them? This is why I respect everyone here who volunteers their time, skills, and prayers. Not to say our LE aren't incredible, there just isn't enough of them or hours in the day....

nice find. it does appear that this Andrea from MA is married and living in OH, if my information is correct so it appears she is not our Andrea.

Okay then, I just found this one curious. First name and age match UID and also states adopted at 3 1/2, which to me matches "adopted at a very young age". Former foster sister was looking for her in 2001. Again, just a lot of similarities. Doesn't appear to be contact info for archived posts that I can tell.

http://forums.adoption.com/search-b...earching-andrea-dob-12-5-66-adopted-mass.html

Edited to add: I also find it interesting that she is presuming she married and changed her last name since she has been unable to locate her under her adopted last name.

I've finally managed to purchase my articles. What a struggle - I couldn't work out how to enter my US state for my address in Germany, but a US state was a required field for any country.....?

Busy reading and typing now. Hope there's something useful.

I have an account there & can try to contact the OP.
Apparently it was someone named Mary. Not sure if I'd be able to do anything.

nice find. it does appear that this Andrea from MA is married and living in OH, if my information is correct so it appears she is not our Andrea.

How did you come to that conclusion? Birth announcements?

Exactly.

Or haven't been investigated due to jurisdictional issues, overwork, or sometimes indifference.

I've done my write up. It's a long post I'm afraid, and I know I've repeated info we already have, but I didn't want to miss anything. There are a couple of things new to me re clothing/substances that I think is helpful. And I thought too much info was better than too little. Coming up, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab