Identified! CA - Huntington Beach, WhtFem 40UFCA, 18-30, poss name Andrea, Apr'90 - Andrea Kuiper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andrea: coroner case # 90-01853-LY

Andrea’s accident was very bad. She was hit by a white Mazda, then thrown into the path of a Lincoln Continental and ended up pinned beneath it. No charges were filed against the drivers. I doubt any witnesses have forgotten it and authorities who dealt with her case seem to have been deeply affected by it and very, very committed to identifying her. A lot of work has been done, imo. She had a blood-alcohol level of 0.07 and there were traces of cocaine in her system. One coroner said his personal opinion was she was a party girl.

The descriptions of Andrea as brown-eyed, brown-haired and with a buxom/full figure and slight acne scarring are all confirmed. As is the 5ft 4in height and 122lb weight, and the coroner reporting expensive, excellent porcelain dental work. She was in good health. Age 18-30 reported in all the articles from the 1990s.

Her dress is reported as being of black cotton, ‘long’ and ‘ankle-length. It had at least one pocket because the motel key was found in it. Her t-shirt was red and long-sleeved and her sweater was a ‘bulky, hot-pink knit, ‘New Hero’ brand’. The fish nets are reported as being both stockings and hose (does that mean tights?). She was wearing low heeled pink pumps, one of which still had a $19.95 price tag on. It’s reported by the man who gave her money and helped her that the shoes and (some/all?) of her clothes were bought at a Goodwill store. He also said she claimed to be adopted at a very young age, carried no identification and had made the hair ring by cutting her own hair the morning of her death, before she left his house. One article describes her clothing as ‘garish’. An employee of a new-age store in Long Beach called Eye of the Cat had speculated the hair was from a lover and the stone was a charm or worry stone.

Andrea was carrying a smooth black stone, a key with an unmarked orange tag, an Orange County Transit District bus schedule (for the route running from Santa Ana to Seal Beach via Westminster Ave) and $20.30 in cash (no wallet or purse). Also reported as being ‘$18 plus change’. Everyone involved with her case repeatedly mentions her youth, how she was such ‘a young girl’. It does suggest that she was much nearer the bottom of her age range than the top, imo, though one article states she may have been ‘as young as 18’.

The OC senior deputy coroner, Joe Luckey, took a particular interest in Andrea’s case because he was so touched by it:

‘At one point, Luckey carried a sketch of the woman pasted onto an identification card tucked in his wallet.’

He’d initially speculated Andrea was a drifter from out of state and the stone might have indicated membership of a cult because it was a ‘strange thing to be carrying around’. He checked 12 motels, asked everyone he knew personally about her, sent her prints to Cal ID and the FBI as well, and within a year had compared her details to 122 missing persons’ reports: ‘There was always something that didn’t match up’. Her info has been distributed to LE all across the US and hundreds of phone calls have been followed up. She ‘likely has not been arrested in California’.

Several people came forward when Andrea’s death was reported, including three transients who gave one of the following snippets of info each: She was from the East Coast, she was from Virginia and she was ‘adopted and raised in an orphanage’???(my question marks). Another said he had seen her going through a trash bin. One homeless man said he was 100 per cent certain she was the Andrea he had a brief friendship with when they met while he was hitching on the Pacific Coast Highway. She was riding in a car with a man who stopped for him (the hitcher). Andrea told the hitcher she was from ‘somewhere like Virginia’ and ‘another lady she was from New York’.

False hope was raised by a lady in Hampton, VA, a month after Andrea’s death. She knew a young adopted girl working her way to California to find her birth family, but the girl was happily found to be alive and well. Another lady from Tampa, FL, called in April 1992, convinced Andrea was her missing daughter. Luckey managed to trace the woman’s daughter, alive and well, and reunite them. ‘At least it makes it worthwhile,’ he said.

‘I see this as a girl who ran away, a bohemian type, into some kind of a scene – maybe a follower of a certain kind of music, what used to be called punk but is something different now. Her clothing is almost like a costume – thrift store stuff’; Bruce Lyle, supervising deputy, OC Coroner’s Office, April 14, 1990.

April 14, 1990, Bruce Lyle: ‘If she’s not identified soon, I think she’s going to be around here for a long time’.

On June 26, 1992, it was reported if Andrea was not identified, she would be cremated and her ashes scattered at sea.

Information from archive articles in the Orange County Register. Direct links to each article cannot be posted as these are paid-for articles and the link expires. Can be retrieved by a search under jane doe, andrea in OC Reg archives.

How did you come to that conclusion? Birth announcements?

using the given date of birth and first name, I found an Andrea from MA at ancestry.com.

using other people finder sites (the free teaser info, not anything paid for) the same person shows up with a married name living in Ohio.

I've used this same sort of system to find lost classmates and it has always worked out to be accurate.

in so many ways the articles seem to be describing Big Mouth Andrea. the only thing is we do not know anything about her accent. MontanaMan said Big Mouth Andrea's accent was definitely Seattle area. no one in So. Cal. seems to have been asked about it and they just repeated what she told them that she was from the East Coast.

So we have
Virginia
East Coast
New York
Seattle/across the water from Seattle

As possible locations for Andrea. All the coroners in CA concerned with her case have also stated they thought she was from out of state.

Andrea was wearing 'punky', 'garish' clothing. It made a 29-year-old coroner in 1990 sure she was a party girl, part of a scene that 'used to be punk' but 'isn't anymore'. She had cocaine and alcohol in her system.

MontanaMan knew a girl who looked a lot like Andrea in Seattle and she was a part of a party scene that was goth/about-to-be grunge and where drugs abounded. She was known as big mouth Andrea and seems to have been quite 'loud'.

Our Andrea is reported as saying she was 'adopted', 'adopted and brought up in an orphanage' and that her adopted(or bio?) parents 'were pretty well known'.

Our Andrea seemed to stick in the mind of everyone who met her, but there are no reports of her being 'loud' or 'pushy'. Rather the opposite -people seemed to find her vulnerable and very young.

zweibel, amazing compilation! Thanks so much!

Well, if she was truly raised in an orphanage, it's possible she was kicked out at 18 and left to fend for herself anyhow. Truly no one would have cared what happened to her :(. I knew a local man here who told me he was raised in an orphanage on the east coast and he does not talk about it fondly. I initially thought he was joking because to me the premise is so 19th century and I thought they were outlawed years ago. I guess Catholic ones still were around in the 80s, I have no idea about present day though.

Edited to add: my acquaintance also said he had been "adopted" by the orphanage (which was also odd to me as I always pictured orphanages as clearinghouses for kids looking for homes) and that he reunited with his twin sister years after turning 18. He found his bio parents eventually and it didn't go very well. He carried a LOT of pain.

Just a little thing, but now it's worrying me. When I said in my long post that the coroner had compared Andrea's details to 200 missing persons' reports in a year, what it actually said was he'd compared them to 'teletypes'. I don't know what they are or were though.

using the given date of birth and first name, I found an Andrea from MA at ancestry.com.

using other people finder sites (the free teaser info, not anything paid for) the same person shows up with a married name living in Ohio.

I've used this same sort of system to find lost classmates and it has always worked out to be accurate.

Well thanks for ruling it out :). I was just struck by the similarities.

Our Andrea is reported as saying she was 'adopted', 'adopted and brought up in an orphanage' and that her adopted(or bio?) parents 'were pretty well known'.

I think she used variations of the same story depending on the audience. the stories cannot all be true but the basic story was the same - adopted and from the east coast.

I suspect if she wanted pity then it was the "I grew up in an orphanage" and if she was trying to impress it was "my parents had money and were well known". objectively speaking since she had expensive dental work then her parents DID have money.

maybe it was one of those things that her partying caused the rift with her parents and she was not welcome home unless and until she cleaned up her act. so she hit the road to have fun and in the interim search for her birth parents, even if that was just a surface excuse to go to the west coast to wander about.

maybe it was one of those things that her partying caused the rift with her parents and she was not welcome home unless and until she cleaned up her act. so she hit the road to have fun and in the interim search for her birth parents, even if that was just a surface excuse to go to the west coast to wander about.

If she was adopted & if she had the "typical" adopted teen syndrome; my guess is that she felt lost & that she had the typical questions wondering why her mother gave her up. Possible there was animosity in the home; she'd say "well your not my mother /father.. Possible the parents voiced their regret of adopting someone unappreciative.

It can get worst if they had natural children after adopting. If Andrea was the typical teen & things were said; she'd feel like they loved their natural children more.

I've known many adopted kids back then; the girls usually had more issues due to being adopted; even in a home where there were other adopted kids; the boys didn't care but the girls felt like a knife went through their heart.

If she was adopted & if she had the "typical" adopted teen syndrome; my guess is that she felt lost & that she had the typical questions wondering why her mother gave her up. Possible there was animosity in the home; she'd say "well your not my mother /father.. Possible the parents voiced their regret of adopting someone unappreciative.

It can get worst if they had natural children after adopting. If Andrea was the typical teen & things were said; she'd feel like they loved their natural children more.

I've known many adopted kids back then; the girls usually had more issues due to being adopted; even in a home where there were other adopted kids; the boys didn't care but the girls felt like a knife went through their heart.

As an adopted kid, I can tell you this is real close to how it was when I was a teen.

And if her adopted parents were "society people" they might have been extremely private about her leaving home, possibly to the point of not even reporting her missing. Due to embarrassment, or anger.

There's a really good article about it at the link below if anyone needs it.

Adoption woes in the adolescent years -

Many adopted kids seem to have more than their fair share of issues when they reach the adolescent years. Some can seem to turn on the very people who rescued them years before, their adopted parents. Why is that? Here's why...just as self-awareness and insecurity grows in the adolescent years, adopted children especially struggle with the who and why of their adoption at this time. Feelings of abandonment by their birth mother can add to an already emotionally charged adolescence, as they search for meaning, belonging, and validity in their life. ...Adopted children question their true identity during the teen years. For the mortified adoptive parents, their teenager's growing independence may usher in a profound and shocking lack of appreciation and even a temporary hatred of them. So, the obvious question from these parents is, "What have we done wrong?" My answer to them in most cases is that they have done nothing wrong.

As with every teenager, they are trying to find their own identity and to accept themselves for who they are. They are seeking to be comfortable in their own skin. But adopted teens have the added burden of figuring out, "Why did my birth-mom give me up? What was she really like? What was happening in her life at the time? Who am I really? Was there something about me she couldn't accept? Who and where are my biological extended family members? Do I look like my dad? Do I have any biological brothers or sisters?"....

Grrrr...our problem here is, parents of missing children don't seem to list them as adopted. I don't blame them but.....It seems they would be just listed as 'dna not availabe'. Anyone know if that's correct?

Grrrr...our problem here is, parents of missing children don't seem to list them as adopted. I don't blame them but.....It seems they would be just listed as 'dna not availabe'. Anyone know if that's correct?

It would be nice if they would include that info. Aundria Michelle Bowman, 14, Holland MI, March 11, 1989 - adopted. They thought that WI - Raymond (Racine County) - WhtFem 199UFWI, 14-25, July'99. They unsealed her adoption records & found her birth mom. Links below are what I put together for her birth mom last week to add to her sig.

I am replying to the speculation that CR could be Aundria Bowman. Her mother has been located and has submitted a DNA sample it will be compared to CR ASAP. I believe a match is not likely. My source of information says the CR's killer is in jail and the Holland police are on the right track as to who cause the disappearance of Aundria.

:rose:
Aundria NamUs
Aundria Doe Network
Aundria Missing Kids
Find Aundria M Bowman Facebook page

There's a really good article about it at the link below if anyone needs it.

Adoption woes in the adolescent years -

Many adopted kids seem to have more than their fair share of issues when they reach the adolescent years. Some can seem to turn on the very people who rescued them years before, their adopted parents. Why is that? Here's why...just as self-awareness and insecurity grows in the adolescent years, adopted children especially struggle with the who and why of their adoption at this time. Feelings of abandonment by their birth mother can add to an already emotionally charged adolescence, as they search for meaning, belonging, and validity in their life. ...Adopted children question their true identity during the teen years. For the mortified adoptive parents, their teenager's growing independence may usher in a profound and shocking lack of appreciation and even a temporary hatred of them. So, the obvious question from these parents is, "What have we done wrong?" My answer to them in most cases is that they have done nothing wrong.

As with every teenager, they are trying to find their own identity and to accept themselves for who they are. They are seeking to be comfortable in their own skin. But adopted teens have the added burden of figuring out, "Why did my birth-mom give me up? What was she really like? What was happening in her life at the time? Who am I really? Was there something about me she couldn't accept? Who and where are my biological extended family members? Do I look like my dad? Do I have any biological brothers or sisters?"....

Bingo! That hit the nail on the head!

It would be nice if they would include that info. Aundria Michelle Bowman, 14, Holland MI, March 11, 1989 - adopted. They thought that WI - Raymond (Racine County) - WhtFem 199UFWI, 14-25, July'99. They unsealed her adoption records & found her birth mom. Links below are what I put together for her birth mom last week to add to her sig.

Aundria NamUs
Aundria Doe Network
Aundria Missing Kids
Find Aundria M Bowman Facebook page

That is a good idea just for the reason that it could help aid in the in their identification and in finding them. For some adopted parents, they never make the distinction between "this is my adopted child, and this is my biological child" Mine were that way, and I know others who are that way. They are all their kids, they just arrived in different ways.

People who are not adopted, who grew up in their biological family have no idea what adoptees go through trying to make peace with their biological and adopted identities. Heck, I am 56 and I am still dealing with it, and I am reunited with my birth family.

I forgot all about that "you're not my real mother... you're not my real father stuff".

it does make getting DNA all the more difficult if in fact the UID was adopted.

one thing that I am curious about is how on earth "Andrea" thought she was going to find her birth mother. I was not adopted but if someone said "you were born in CA to a single mother" good luck trying to find her. there are only so many millions of women in the state of California. there was no internet of wide usage back in 1990 (there were a few options but nothing like today) so her departure for CA was either on some Quixotic quest for finding her birth mother (as if she could be found by opening the yellow pages) or it was just an excuse she gave rather than telling people "I'm a wandering party girl, willing to sponge off the generosity of anyone who offers".

Hi all. I've been following this thread for just a short time. Pls excuse if its already been discussed... but I am thrown off with the discussion of a possible orphanage and the evidence of Andrea's expensive porcelain dental work. I don't see them going hand in hand. Perhaps I've just seen too many movies that portray orphanages in less than a desirable light.

I'm sure she did not get the dental work done courtesy of an orphanage. I think the orphanage story was made up on her part.

Hi all. I've been following this thread for just a short time. Pls excuse if its already been discussed... but I am thrown off with the discussion of a possible orphanage and the evidence of Andrea's expensive porcelain dental work. I don't see them going hand in hand. Perhaps I've just seen too many movies that portray orphanages in less than a desirable light.

I don't either. I see it more as a sign that she grew up in a well to do family.

As for her going to CA to look for her birth mother, yes, I can see a teenaged girl doing that on a whim.

Me too. But what might have led her to believe her mother might be in CA? Could it possibly have been an original birth certificate? If so, that might help us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member