CA CA - Jennifer Wilmer, 21, Willow Creek, 13 Sept 1993

I was Thinking and talking about Jennifer Wilmer today. Thought Id take a peek and see if anything new has been posted. or Any word on that Program Jen's cousin here had mentioned. Since there is nothing new that I have seen I will just stop in and Bump her thread then. so Bumptity Bump Bump Bump.

I wonder and wonder about Jennifer Wilmer (Jade)... and Bridget Pendell, who was last seen in San Francisco. Both were beautiful young women who apparently hung out with the Grateful Dead followers. Both disappeared in the mid 90s - never to be seen again.

It is a new year, hoping for answers for Jennifer Jade. Bumps

Yes, this case really needs some investigative journalism. Hawkins Bar is tiny, perhaps the kind of place where rumors float around, etc.
I know the population there may be transient, but there may still be people around who lived there in 1993.
If Jennifer's last address can be located, maybe the landlord could be found, then the room mates. They could be anywhere in the world by now, but they may know something of value.
I really think if someone Jennifer knew harmed her, there would be some hint of it somewhere.

I knew Jennifer (Jade). We ran in the same circles back then. Shortly before her disappearance, she was attending a church that I started to go to. This was before she moved towards Willow Creek area. I am still in touch with some of our mutual friends from back then. I somehow forget so many people's names, but would be able to ask around and get the names of the people she was living with at that time.

Welcome to Websleuths, honibee. :greetings:

It would be wonderful if you could dig up and share some information. In order to do that you need to become a “verified insider” for Jennifer’s case. The reason for this is that WS tries very hard to avoid unverified rumors. Here is a link to the simple process. I hope it will work out for you to do this. As you can see, Jennifer has not been forgotten.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...n-Process-for-Professional-or-Insider-Posters

Hey folks, I joined totally only because of Jennifer. I did not know her, but I heard about the case several years ago after I worked trimming on a farm in Willow Creek, within a mile or so of where she last lived. She is only two years older than me, and my brother was WAY big into the scene up there, working on pot farms, etc, back then. We were all a part of the early 90s NOR CAL culture back then, being young and wanting to be hippies. I never did trimming in my twenties... But my brother did. In my early 40s, however, I did my first rek up there to do trimming because the money was REALLY good, and I desperately needed it. There is ZERO doubt in my mind that it was a POT FARM she is talking about in her note. ZERO doubt. Thats pretty much ALL there is up there. For miles, thats ALL that goes on. Pot farming. And the trimmers can make A LOT of money, free and clear. CASH. And there is a KNOWING we all have, being raised in nor cal and being close to that scene... a knowing that the police up there ALLOW a lot of stuff to go on. They absolutely do look the other way about a lot of criminal activity, for several different reasons. I can tell you two reasons right off the bat: EVERYONE is connected to the pot farm industry up there, and the place is like THE WILD WEST. The GROWERS make their own rules, The GROWERS are the TRUE rule of law up there, and it is DEADLY to cross them. Even for cops. There is also MONEY involved. The pot industry up there is completely steeped into EVERYONES lives. Brothers, sisters, fathers, etc. Even one politicians SON, was arrested recently for drugging and raping female trimmers... workers on his pot farm. A POLITICIANS SON. But its SO deeply liberal that its a bit "through the looking glass" up there in the strange ways people think. They like to believe that POT growing is peaceful and not a threat. But its actually got one of the most sinister underbellies Ive ever encountered. And they all KNOW that. Its really weird energy up there. Anyway, from someone who does know a lot about the mentality of the young hippies up there, and the "culture"... Jennifers note doesnt sound suspicious to me at all. These people are VERY into freedom and living without too many ties. Her note sounds EXACTLY right for that culture. And even up there, they are HUSHED, even with eachother, about the POT FARM business. Everyone is super careful about how they talk about it. You are considered uncool if you are NOT careful about how you speak when it comes to "farm work". The housemates also do not at all strike me as suspicious. Mingo was going travelling, or was on a long season at a pot farm. Or was about to go to do a long gig (months of work) at a pot farm. Most likely. But either way, they traveled a lot in those circles and didnt hold one another down, and giving one another a strict rundown of what each person is doing in their daily lives is NOT TYPICAL with those crowds. At all. Another thing you can assume with confidence is that they were all totally STONED, in fact, its likely they were stoned almost 24/7. Thats how it is up there. Especially with them being so young and fresh and NEW to an area where marijuana (not to mention also magic mushrooms, and other hallucinogens) are in EASY access and huge supply. All of these things factor in. Tro committing sucide doesnt suprise me either, with that crowd, as they age, many do not make it out of that culture with a stable head on their shoulders. Lots of hallucinogentics, lots of drugs around them, can turn a fun hippie youthful summer into a a rocky road into adulthood which just gets worse and worse, and they never "grow up". They tturn to harder drugs as the years get tougher on them, etc. I do not think, personally, that Tro was connected, but he may have had information.... we will never know. I think, more and more, that it was Ernest Christie who did this. But I just wanted to at least give an insiders look at what that place is REALLY like. I will never do pot trimming again... Ever. I never want to be connected to the underbelly of that place again. Its a beautiful, and yet seriously creepy and sinister place. You can feel something truly foul up there. I left quickly one day, after sticking it out two weeks... I answered an ad for a ride out, and the woman that drove me back to SF was a sex worker, hired to live on a farm as the "entertainment". Shed been doing it every fall for many years. She was sweet enough, but I could tell she had seen some truly awful things, and I knew that it was a very seedy enviornment that she was a part of. The young people, like Jennifer, just think its all very amazing and exciting. They are NOT the seedy element, and it takes some of them years to really SEE IT FOR WHAT IT IS. I found out about Jennifer after researching that place, upon returning from my own creepy stay in Willow Creek. I couldnt shake the feeling that the place had some sort of "evil" in it, and I dont even BELIEVE in evil, usually. Hope Ive painted a better working picture and given a good working context for you to better do your "sleuthing.". A

Hey folks, I joined totally only because of Jennifer. I did not know her, but I heard about the case several years ago after I worked trimming on a farm in Willow Creek, within a mile or so of where she last lived. She is only two years older than me, and my brother was WAY big into the scene up there, working on pot farms, etc, back then. We were all a part of the early 90s NOR CAL culture back then, being young and wanting to be hippies. I never did trimming in my twenties... But my brother did. In my early 40s, however, I did my first rek up there to do trimming because the money was REALLY good, and I desperately needed it. There is ZERO doubt in my mind that it was a POT FARM she is talking about in her note. ZERO doubt. Thats pretty much ALL there is up there. For miles, thats ALL that goes on. Pot farming. And the trimmers can make A LOT of money, free and clear. CASH. And there is a KNOWING we all have, being raised in nor cal and being close to that scene... a knowing that the police up there ALLOW a lot of stuff to go on. They absolutely do look the other way about a lot of criminal activity, for several different reasons. I can tell you two reasons right off the bat: EVERYONE is connected to the pot farm industry up there, and the place is like THE WILD WEST. The GROWERS make their own rules, The GROWERS are the TRUE rule of law up there, and it is DEADLY to cross them. Even for cops. There is also MONEY involved. The pot industry up there is completely steeped into EVERYONES lives. Brothers, sisters, fathers, etc. Even one politicians SON, was arrested recently for drugging and raping female trimmers... workers on his pot farm. A POLITICIANS SON. But its SO deeply liberal that its a bit "through the looking glass" up there in the strange ways people think. They like to believe that POT growing is peaceful and not a threat. But its actually got one of the most sinister underbellies Ive ever encountered. And they all KNOW that. Its really weird energy up there. Anyway, from someone who does know a lot about the mentality of the young hippies up there, and the "culture"... Jennifers note doesnt sound suspicious to me at all. These people are VERY into freedom and living without too many ties. Her note sounds EXACTLY right for that culture. And even up there, they are HUSHED, even with eachother, about the POT FARM business. Everyone is super careful about how they talk about it. You are considered uncool if you are NOT careful about how you speak when it comes to "farm work". The housemates also do not at all strike me as suspicious. Mingo was going travelling, or was on a long season at a pot farm. Or was about to go to do a long gig (months of work) at a pot farm. Most likely. But either way, they traveled a lot in those circles and didnt hold one another down, and giving one another a strict rundown of what each person is doing in their daily lives is NOT TYPICAL with those crowds. At all. Another thing you can assume with confidence is that they were all totally STONED, in fact, its likely they were stoned almost 24/7. Thats how it is up there. Especially with them being so young and fresh and NEW to an area where marijuana (not to mention also magic mushrooms, and other hallucinogens) are in EASY access and huge supply. All of these things factor in. Tro committing sucide doesnt suprise me either, with that crowd, as they age, many do not make it out of that culture with a stable head on their shoulders. Lots of hallucinogentics, lots of drugs around them, can turn a fun hippie youthful summer into a a rocky road into adulthood which just gets worse and worse, and they never "grow up". They tturn to harder drugs as the years get tougher on them, etc. I do not think, personally, that Tro was connected, but he may have had information.... we will never know. I think, more and more, that it was Ernest Christie who did this. But I just wanted to at least give an insiders look at what that place is REALLY like. I will never do pot trimming again... Ever. I never want to be connected to the underbelly of that place again. Its a beautiful, and yet seriously creepy and sinister place. You can feel something truly foul up there. I left quickly one day, after sticking it out two weeks... I answered an ad for a ride out, and the woman that drove me back to SF was a sex worker, hired to live on a farm as the "entertainment". Shed been doing it every fall for many years. She was sweet enough, but I could tell she had seen some truly awful things, and I knew that it was a very seedy enviornment that she was a part of. The young people, like Jennifer, just think its all very amazing and exciting. They are NOT the seedy element, and it takes some of them years to really SEE IT FOR WHAT IT IS. I found out about Jennifer after researching that place, upon returning from my own creepy stay in Willow Creek. I couldnt shake the feeling that the place had some sort of "evil" in it, and I dont even BELIEVE in evil, usually. Hope Ive painted a better working picture and given a good working context for you to better do your "sleuthing.". A

:welcome: Vesuvius! You did a great job describing what it is really like in the whole pot farm environment. We were never involved in growing when we lived on our land in southern Humboldt County from 1969-84 but we were definitely affected by it, not in a good way. It is very much the Wild West, and law enforcement thinks twice before messing with growers. I’m on many Humboldt and Trinity County threads here and I hate to see people go missing there like Jennifer/Jade did. There is a code of silence. Usually they’re not found. And yes, evil lurks thanks to greed and amorality IMO.

You are probably right about Christie. Or it could have been some completely unknown person she worked with. I expect the trail is cold, as it is with even more recent cases. Here’s a link to the most recent case about a guy who came from Spain to work on a farm. He apparently had a mental break and ran off into the woods with $2000. :(

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-2017-*Spanish-individual*&highlight=Humboldt

Thank you for the welcome! Jennifer, for some reason, completely rivets my attention and haunts me. Its probably because I know that area, and because she was so close to my age. Its entirely possible that my brother or I would have brushed past her on any day back in 1993. And yes, this is the newer trend, over these past 7 years... The young people from Europe coming to this area to work on pot farms. Just two years ago in the fall I saw a group of about 20 young french and spanish travelers, at harvest time, making their way up north (they passed through my hometown via San Francisco) with their huge back packs complete with their sleeping gear.... Hitching their way to Humboldt. I remember... watching them walk to the freeway, I got chills down my spine. Seeing them spooked me for some reason. All so young and beautiful and innocent. So misguided about the truth of the dark place they were headed to.

Thank you for the welcome! Jennifer, for some reason, completely rivets my attention and haunts me. Its probably because I know that area, and because she was so close to my age. Its entirely possible that my brother or I would have brushed past her on any day back in 1993. And yes, this is the newer trend, over these past 7 years... The young people from Europe coming to this area to work on pot farms. Just two years ago in the fall I saw a group of about 20 young french and spanish travelers, at harvest time, making their way up north (they passed through my hometown via San Francisco) with their huge back packs complete with their sleeping gear.... Hitching their way to Humboldt. I remember... watching them walk to the freeway, I got chills down my spine. Seeing them spooked me for some reason. All so young and beautiful and innocent. So misguided about the truth of the dark place they were headed to.

Even though we haven’t lived in Humboldt since 1984, we still have friends there and I keep up on news on Kym Kemp’s news blog and Lost Coast Outpost. There is a lot of talk about the “trimigrants” from other countries sitting on Garberville streets with signs looking for trimming jobs. Often beautiful young girls. If you went over to the other thread, you will see that I took the liberty of putting your excellent post there. So many folks just have no idea what goes on in that area. You nailed it!

It’s terribly sad about Jennifer. Thanks for your interest in her. I hope you will take a look around at other threads too, both Emerald Triangle and further afield. Unfortunately, good news is rare from the Emerald Triangle, and many cases get almost zero publicity. :(

Right. Thank you. Very strange about the Spaniard. But unfortunately, as you know, common up there. I will certainly look into the other threads related to that area. But... just to reiterate for the others, in summary: Knowing that place, and knowing those groups as I do... Literally, NOTHING about the case is suspicious to me EXCEPT the fact that she disappeared. Well, I take that back... there are two exceptions: The creepy older man, Cowboy (I cant help but wonder if he actually WAS Ernest Christie, using a nickname, or a close friend of Ernest Christies... That they were a team..connected and helping one another)... That truly is very noteworthy. Her intuition is evident over 20 years later! Its clear as day she was TRULY scared of him. And possibly the sudden shaved heads of the housemates, but knowing those types... the shaved heads could be SO many other things. The shaved heads could have spiritual solidarity with their missing "sister"... merely a symbolic pseudo-tribal gesture of MOURNING. It could have been the result of a group hallucinogenic trip... Where they all got high and shaved their heads one night. It could have been so many other things. The young idealistic and largely innocent youth that go up there are not, in my mind, the issue. As I mentioned before, all communications and notes from these people, you can safely assume, are heavily influenced by their mostly being completely STONED (have you ever talked to a stoned person? Its hard. Communication will be vague and wandering)... And... influenced also be secrecy which IS the unspoken RULE up there. So I think that it might be helpful to throw away ALL the other details and focus only on THE DISAPPEARANCE, The dangerous individuals we KNOW were living there, too, but NOT a part of her "crowd" (in other words, not her age range, not her housemate or someone she would ever choose to room with, and not a travelling companion). And ...possibly the owners of the FARM. Farm owners can become very sick, ruthless and narcissistic. Their lifestyle enables them to feel INDESTRUCTIBLE and ABOVE THE LAW. The ego inflation that goes on with both drug dealers and growers is well known. This article is VERY EYE OPENING ... Highly recommend that everyone read it if they want to understand these crimes in that area: http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/a63560/marijuana-industry-sexual-abuse-rape/

I agree with this entirely. I’ve visited a few places and the vibe is pretty dark. Not peace love and grove at all. Not at all. Constant paranoia and distrust. I’ve spent a couple nights on those farms with friends passing through and it was unnerving even as a 18 year old free sprit. As for travelers, trimmigrants, they are used to berry picking and such in places like Australia when that’s a backpacker norm and stable industry.

The thing is, even if something innocent happened to her, such as a farm accident, overdose, or illness, it would never be reported due to the nature of those places. She may not have even met with foul play, but if something did happen no one would talk. The hope is, since the years have past and people have moved on, maybe someone will speak up. I’m sure statutes have expired. I’m sure some people are now parents. Maybe, just maybe, someone will be brave enough to come forward as a parent. That’s the hope.

"The thing is, even if something innocent happened to her, such as a farm accident, overdose, or illness, it would never be reported due to the nature of those places. She may not have even met with foul play, but if something did happen no one would talk."

EXACTLY.

This REALLY is the way things are up there. Even young women who are brutalized up there and raped, who would report it under any other circumstance, will NOT report it if it happens in the Emerald Triangle. Because they themselves know that the work they were doing when it happened will damn them to their family and friends. AND they are afraid of the Growers power. The growers can be downright scary. Add to that the usual self blame any woman goes through when they are brutalized. The foggy picture begins to get very clear when you add all of these details together.

"The thing is, even if something innocent happened to her, such as a farm accident, overdose, or illness, it would never be reported due to the nature of those places. She may not have even met with foul play, but if something did happen no one would talk."

EXACTLY.

This REALLY is the way things are up there. Even young women who are brutalized up there and raped, who would report it under any other circumstance, will NOT report it if it happens in the Emerald Triangle. Because they themselves know that the work they were doing when it happened will damn them to their family and friends. AND they are afraid of the Growers power. The growers can be downright scary. Add to that the usual self blame any woman goes through when they are brutalized. The foggy picture begins to get very clear when you add all of these details together.

I will say, though, one more time, having been in the situation myself... The young travelers who go up there their first or 3rd times... are usually totally idealistic and innocent. They just think its cool! And FREE! And its EASY MONEY. Many are very "good kids". And, you know, marijuana seems to be such a peaceful herb. Spiritual, even. So they have NO IDEA, to this day, what they are REALLY stepping into, when they arrive in Willow Creek. There is not a lot of press about the dangers up there (ask yourself why). When i went up there, it was my best friend of 15 years, a much more "hippy" person than i, who convinced me to go up there with her. Even she, who has done it for several years, doesnt know much about the dark side. BUT I COULD SMELL IT THE MINUTE I STEPPED FOOT ONTO THE FARM. I was NEVER comfortable there. And the farm I was at was super "PC", a very compassionate humane grower, and a very beautiful farm. I was lucky. But the vibe was truly OFF. It just was. My intuition was just ringing me off the hook, saying "This is not what it seems. You are in danger here. Go home.". It was only after I got home, and a few months of pondering that intuitive feeling... that I did my research, and ONLY then... did I realize that my intuition was totally correct.

We had a thread here about this young woman referenced in the article you linked. Her friend/roommate joined the thread and was adamant that she had been drugged by a particular person and held against her will. At one point she issued a statement that she was on a spiritual quest and wanted to be left alone. The sheriff had to accept that, but her friend knew it was bogus. Because there was little to no mainstream media (MSM) coverage, just Kym Kemp’s news blog (she is the best reporter in Humboldt IMO), the thread was understandably closed.

I never knew what happened to her until this article came out and I recognized the situation. Her friend was right. It’s too bad she didn’t formally report the abuse, but I imagine she felt partly responsible and scared of the person who kept her. I expect that she just wanted to get out of Humboldt and leave it all behind. I do wonder who else this guy has victimized since then though. There are plenty just like him. I was very glad to see Kailin Meserve mentioned in that article. :mad:

[FONT=&amp]When an artist from San Francisco disappeared in the Humboldt County town of Garberville last harvest season, her mother and roommate filed a missing persons report. Months later, she resurfaced to tell her family she had been held against her will on a marijuana farm, drugged, and sexually abused. She never formally reported her abuse.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]But at the time of her disappearance, the Humboldt County Sheriff’s Officehad labeled her a "voluntary missing adult." They flagged the case as a low priority.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"Many people come to Humboldt each year to work on the marijuana farms," the deputy who took the report told her roommate in an email. "So far she is falling into the same category as many others have."

[/FONT]http://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/a63560/marijuana-industry-sexual-abuse-rape/

I will say, though, one more time, having been in the situation myself... The young travelers who go up there their first or 3rd times... are usually totally idealistic and innocent. They just think its cool! And FREE! And its EASY MONEY. Many are very "good kids". And, you know, marijuana seems to be such a peaceful herb. Spiritual, even. So they have NO IDEA, to this day, what they are REALLY stepping into, when they arrive in Willow Creek. There is not a lot of press about the dangers up there (ask yourself why). When i went up there, it was my best friend of 15 years, a much more "hippy" person than i, who convinced me to go up there with her. Even she, who has done it for several years, doesnt know much about the dark side. BUT I COULD SMELL IT THE MINUTE I STEPPED FOOT ONTO THE FARM. I was NEVER comfortable there. And the farm I was at was super "PC", a very compassionate humane grower, and a very beautiful farm. I was lucky. But the vibe was truly OFF. It just was. My intuition was just ringing me off the hook, saying "This is not what it seems. You are in danger here. Go home.". It was only after I got home, and a few months of pondering that intuitive feeling... that I did my research, and ONLY then... did I realize that my intuition was totally correct.

You were wise to listen to you intuition and leave. I often recommend “The Gift of Fear” by Gavin de Becker. He pounds that point home over and over.

When we lived in SoHum on our 10 acres, you didn’t have to be involved in growing to become a victim. We knew a woman who was killed when men came to her place to rip off her crop. They had come up the wrong driveway. She was not a grower. A man on our hill was also killed for the same reason. Our friends heard about it on the scanner and thought it was my husband. It easily could have been. There is nothing peaceful about growing pot. It sounds idyllic as you say, but the money attracts the bad guys and good guys like the grower you worked for can get killed. See my link to Jeff Joseph’s thread.

Kim Kemp joins with the Northcoast Journal in exploring those missing in the Emerald Triangle...Humboldt, Trinity and Mendocino counties. She lists everyone missing in the three counties...at least the ones she could find listed.

Note the event for the families of the missing in Sacramento June 9-10. Quoting Kym’s beautiful writing....

[FONT=&quot]Long after the missing posters on those who have vanished have faded and blown away in the wind, some family members will keep vigil. Some will keep vigil silently–barely acknowledging out loud the loose thread that caught on their heart when their loved one vanished and which now threatens to unravel their life. Some will keep vigil by reaching out to the media or police or both on a regular basis, hoping even decades after their loss that they will get answers. They hope but, at the same time, they fear to know for sure that their loved one is dead.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you have a family or friend missing, an event this June 9 in Sacramento may be helpful to you. This free event will have law enforcement available to help record information. Family members can give DNA samples if they choose to help with identification. They are also “encouraged to bring photos, along with medical and dental records of their missing loved ones.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

http://kymkemp.com/2018/02/01/who-is-missing-in-the-emerald-counties/

bumping for Jennifer Wilmer. Been to long missing. I believe I read somewhere her mother has passed away. Sad that she did not get the answers she deserved before her passing. But let us not stop looking for her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingerdoodle
Back