CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know this! Has this been in testimony? PH or today?
It was in the Defense's OS, I'm sure they will be bringing it up at some point.

The transactions have also been mentioned in other testimony. Dugal's for sure, because I just heard that again recently lol At one point, Dugal got something from Paypal with the transactions by just asking (go figure lol), and then there was some questioning about an email Dan sent Dugal... he sent something about the transactions that happened, Maline asked Dugal if he ever cross referenced it to see if Dan was lying to him, he did not. I only remember that cuz it was interesting lol

I've always been mystified about their personal storage units. I remember thinking in the beginning how does one know that their bodies weren't in there? Nobody looked! The family were not able to do anything even after SB paid the storage fee for several months. Just seemed so cruel to me.

Because of all the financial chaos that took place when the family disappeared, I decided to do a search for unclaimed property. This is what I found.

Unclaimed Property Search - Property Details

Owner(s) Name: EARTH INSPIRED PRODUCTS
Reported Owner Address: 328 AVE. CABRILLO B
SAN CLEMENTE CA 92672
Type of Property: Checking Accounts
Cash Reported: $5,350.20
Reported By: CHILDRENS HOSPITAL OF PHILA

Owner(s) Name: MCSTAY JOSEPH
Reported Owner Address: 328 AVENIDA CABRILLO APT B
SAN CLEMENTE CA 92672
Type of Property: Vendor Checks
Cash Reported: $20.00
Reported By: ASURION INSURANCE SERVICES

Reported Owner Address: 3473 AVOCADO VISTA LN
FALLBROOK CA 92028
Type of Property: Premium Refund
Cash Reported: $589.00
Reported By: LIBERTY MUTUAL INSURANCE CO.

And speaking of the Pods....

Owner(s) Name: MCSTAY SUMMER
FALLBROOK CA 92028
Type of Property: Customer Overpayments
Cash Reported: $1,136.19
Reported By: PODS ENTERPRISES LLC

Right, I think early on, people were calling/texting who they were closer to, iirc Susan testified that she didn't call Summer either, at least at first. So I don't think it's really a big deal. IMO

Chase went to Susan's because he didn't have her number either, but knew where she lived from when he helped Joey and Summer move.

Not only that, but it's the contrary: the fact that Joey had Chase in his house despite Summer's unhappiness about it, suggests that Joey and Chase had very good relationship, good enough not to be hurt by Summer's dislike. If both Joey and Summer disliked Chase, why would they have him in their house as someone welcome by no one? Chase would also not likely to want to be there. Apparently at least one person in the house welcomed him.
From Mr. Sequida. He was a laid back surfer dude. No need for a contract. Your word is your bond. Paraphrasing.

Not only that, but it's the contrary: the fact that Joey had Chase in his house despite Summer's unhappiness about it, suggests that Joey and Chase had very good relationship, good enough not to be hurt by Summer's dislike. If both Joey and Summer disliked Chase, why would they have him in their house as someone welcome by no one? Chase would also not likely to want to be there. Apparently at least one person in the house welcomed him.

I think the situation was that Summer probably didn't care much for Chase but tolerated him because he was helping out with things around the new house. For example, fixing their washer. IMO if Summer truly hated or feared Chase he wouldn't have stepped a foot inside of her home EVER, regardless of what Joey wanted lol.

Because of all the financial chaos that took place when the family disappeared, I decided to do a search for unclaimed property. This is what I found.

SAN CLEMENTE CA 92672

SAN CLEMENTE CA 92672

FALLBROOK CA 92028

FALLBROOK CA 92028

Ohhhh you should forward that to the family if you know how to or can find a way! IIRC it was Susan that paid for the pods... looks like it was never applied because they auctioned them, least they could have done was sent it back to her or not accepted it in the first place... d&*&s:mad::mad:

Right, I think early on, people were calling/texting who they were closer to, iirc Susan testified that she didn't call Summer either, at least at first. So I don't think it's really a big deal. IMO
I do. Based on CM's interviews. He was the first to be alarmed. He went to the mother's house. He wanted Mikey to get involved. He told the MSM woman, Carmen, that he had been calling for days. Turned out not to be true.

SAN CLEMENTE CA 92672

SAN CLEMENTE CA 92672

FALLBROOK CA 92028

FALLBROOK CA 92028

There were more unclaimed monies in higher amounts after the family went missing, but they have all been claimed.

SAN CLEMENTE CA 92672

SAN CLEMENTE CA 92672

FALLBROOK CA 92028

FALLBROOK CA 92028
This is all Latin to me. Does it mean they owed this money? Or this is money they need to claim?

I think the situation was that Summer probably didn't care much for Chase but tolerated him because he was helping out with things around the new house. For example, fixing their washer. IMO if Summer truly hated or feared Chase he wouldn't have stepped a foot inside of her home EVER, regardless of what Joey wanted lol.
Who said he fixed the washer? CM?

Your scenario assumes that I think the family was abducted the morning of the 5th? I don't think it can be completely ruled out, it's possible but imo not probable. Regarding the prosecution's version of events, they do put forth a compelling circumstantial account of what might have happened, but when pressed, even they admit that they cannot definitively prove it. There are many possibilities of what might have happened under the cover of darkness. Some theorize that Joey never made it home, and Summer & kids were abducted later in the day. Again, there are many possibilities, and without a confession, we are likely never to know exactly what happened.

As for the painter's tape and the sledge hammer, it's possible the sledge was used to incapacitate one or more of them, and possibly the tape used to wrap and restrain, in order to get them out of the house. I just don't know for sure, and neither does anyone else really. There are a lot of strange things about this case...the backpack in the graves, why??? Shoes aren't the only thing missing... Summer's & Joey's wallet, phone(s), maybe the shoes are with those items? We just don't know. All IMO.
We don't know, we weren't there but we've got a ton of circumstantial evidence.

You agree the morning is improbable, therefore it was more likely the evening before.

Joey's phone moved from Rancho to Fallbrook and at 5.47 pm it called Chase's phone which pinged in Rancho.

From that exact minute, not an hour later but from the end of that call, and in the next 3 hours and 44 minutes:

Chase's phone goes dark.

There are six voicemail calls to his phone from his wife starting at just after 6 pm, again after 7 pm and again after 9 pm.

Chase calls his wife back at 9.30 pm from an area one hour's drive away from Fallbrook, not south, west or east but north of Fallbrook, an hour after Joey's phone connected towers in Fallbrook for the last time ever.

A cheque was created at Joey's house to Charles Merritt, at 8 pm, in his style of creating and deleting and in the custom account only he used, which he created again with the same memo the next day, and cashed.

A truck reversed into the driveway that didn't belong to the McStays left the house (if it wasn't that one that took them then presumably another one arrived later on with the real murderer but it slipped past Mitchley's camera unnoticed), a truck the McStays most likely recognised and weren't alarmed to see in their driveway because they didn't call for help but opened their door because there was no forced entry.

The children were eating popcorn, someone dropped a bitten apple and the adults were drinking coffee.

The McStays were never heard from again.

Is it a reasonable assumption that these happenings were connected with the murders? That the defense who also wasn't there can pluck a more reasonable breakfast-time scenario out of thin air than the investigators of this crime, or any of us having seen the trial and been presented with the evidence unearthed by the investigators? Or were the children up really late and eating snacks before or after a very late supper, after those strange events and then the family was abducted alive with the sledgehammer later than the mystery truck leaving the house, by an unfilmed vehicle, by someone unconnected with the deleted cheque and Chase's unanswered phone calls?

JMO

IIRC, the pods were with the POD company, and the company auctioned them off. SB paid the back amount due for the rental of the pods and asked for them to be delivered, but it was already too late. The company was moving forward with the auction. I think Susan was able to retrieve some items (photos) from the person who purchased the items in the pods. Although, it’s been so long I can’t be 100% certain about that.

Ohhh yeah. Now that you say that, I do think that's what happened.

MOO

snip CM reluctantly, imo, admitted Joey loved Summer with all of his being which I think CM highly resented.
She became an obstacle standing in his way to continue his manipulation congames that had worked on Joey for far too long. The more Summer saw it happening the more vocal Summer became, rightly so. snip
Absolutely. Summer and the babies were the entire focus of Joey's life. Charles Merritt was not. He knew it, and he hated it.

I can't speak for the jury, but to me, which computer he accessed to create/print the checks is very important. Specifically, the activity alleged to have happened on the evening of the 4th, from inside the McStay residence. We know that Chase knew he could access the QB and create checks REMOTELY as early as the 1st. So it baffles me that he would waste critical time after murdering a family of 4 to hang out in Joey's office creating checks for himself when he could simply do it later remotely, the same as he had earlier in the week.

So for me, this is the one piece of evidence that causes my position firmly on the fence to tip slightly towards guilt. Because the rest of the QB evidence can be explained away by Chase's own history of theft, he could have known or suspected something was going on with the family and went for the money grab, just as Dan Kavanaugh did that weekend as well. But if the QB access on the eve of the 4th actually puts Merritt in the home, that is potentially very damning. I'm not ready to get off the fence yet and convict him lol, I want to hear from the defense as to their explanation of the QB evidence, especially from the eve of the 4th. That's why I feel the specific computers that were used are very important. All IMO.

Oh YES. the specific computers used can be of vital importance. I agree with you. I was trying to say that it is very important to see who it was that created that check on Joey's computer on the 4th, and then deleted it. Because id it was Chase, then it does point towards possible guilt here. I agree on that.

But I am also saying that , if it turns out that he also was the one that created those dozens of other checks, and backdated and deleted them from the QBooks, then it doesn't matter whether he used his girlfriends or an ex gf, or a secret mistreess's device, or a motherinlaw, or a library or a cyber cafe....as long as we know he created that ONE CHECK from Joey's laptop, the specific facts about the other checks devices are less important, because he CASHED THEM and spent the money. So we know it wasn't a frame job or a set up because he had the checks in his possession.

I remember when this incident broke. Never understood how anybody in a million years could have thought that the family just picked up and walked into Mexico, it was such a stupid suggestion. Kind of like so many missing person cases when the police dismiss suspicious circumstances and indicate that maybe the missing just walked away from their lives and left no trace, leaving behind their money and never using their credit cards, etc. Money or love, always, usually money.
This is what sage Mr. Jitty had to say about the topic from several posts back:

"IMO it was classic "The Wire"

No Homicide Department wants to catch a quadruple family murder when they can plausibly list it as missing persons

Out of interest, this is how the McCann case was originally archived in Portugal. Due to lack of evidence (the body), the prosecutor claimed not to know what crime was committed. This was simply a sleight of hand, to avoid having it on the books as an unsolved murder."

mrjitty, Mar 3, 2019
Thread #10, p. 33, post 655

simple
you're on a ladder and you lean over to reach a corner and it drips down from above
there's soooooooooooooo many possibilities for it to be an innocent explanation IMO
red herring

I don't think the bra was on Summer (cut apart cups is a clue) when the paint was dripped on it and allowed to dry in that condition. He threw it in the graves the same as her sweats and the child's backpack.

Mooo

Pretty sure I read recently that the job was actually in Qatar, a more welcoming country than SA.

You mean that the Saudi job was actually in Qatar?? That's fascinating. Where did you read that, Thelma?

And Mr. Sequeida said that the job was in Dubai (UAE) lol :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member