CA - Joey, Summer, Gianni, Joseph Jr McStay Murders - Feb 4th 2010 #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't happen. Ever. Unless you're Steven Avery. This is not a case of planted evidence.

It's Chase Merritt's name on all those backdated checks.

It's Chase Merritt's truck on the video.

It's Chase Merritt calling QB posing as Joseph to delete the account he wrote the checks from.

It's Chase Merritt's phone pinging the tower near the burial site.

It's Chase Merritt who went on to steal more money from the family after the murders.

Precisely.

I have no idea what state law the link you posted is referring to. In California it’s $140 for everyday in custody, rubber stamped, but when considering other factors such as a potential malicious prosecution it could go well into the millions. So figure about $230K without any civil litigation. This amount should last CM at least a week or two at the poker tables.
Claims for Erroneously Convicted Persons — CalVCB
But you are talking about an erroneous conviction, (wrongful conviction), and i was talking about compensation for an acquittal.
As another poster just stated earlier, Merritt isn't Steven Avery.
Your link didn't work for me either.

If he is acquitted he doesn't get large monetary compensation to my knowledge.
(quote)
Anyone found not guilty may apply to the judge to have his legal costs paid out of central funds; this is not automatic, but is usual if the court agrees that the charges should not have been brought. The amount payable is set out by regulations depending on where the case was heard; since October 2012 it has been set at legal aid rates, which are unlikely to cover a full defence team. Somebody who did not have a lawyer can charge for the time he himself spent on the case, but this is assessed at a standard rate similar to minimum wage, even if he happens to be an expensive lawyer.
Defendant compensation after not guilty verdict

Imo, this will not apply to CM.

The only time I've seen any defendant compensated is if they can produce irrefutable evidence that would completely exonerate them.

If CM had such irrefutable proof he would have produced it way before now. He hasn't. He can't even verify his alibi for the day in question. Just because CJ, and his daughter says so is not concrete proof of anything.

Being found NG in no way says CM is innocent. It just would mean the jury felt the DA didnt prove their case. Which won't happen anyway imo.

It seems some are under the false impression that BARD is a easy peasy hurdle to overcome for defendants. Riiight. Lol! It's not based on some imaginary or fanciful doubt. Defense attorneys know all too well it's a high burden for them to overcome. That's the reason in the vast majority of cases they got their butt kicked many more times, than not.

I read an article a few years back stating defense attorneys win about 10% of their cases, and many of them were high priced defense attorneys.

That's why they are able to put their wins up on the wall in their office. Lol!

Prosecutors wouldnt begin to have enough wall space to even begin to put up all of their cases that have ended in convictions which were proven BARD. Lol!

Jmo

I have no idea what state law the link you posted is referring to. In California it’s $140 for everyday in custody, rubber stamped, but when considering other factors such as a potential malicious prosecution it could go well into the millions. So figure about $230K without any civil litigation. This amount should last CM at least a week or two at the poker tables.

That is for individuals who were wrongly convicted. Chase will NOT be compensated by the state for the time he spent in jail awaiting trial.

Imo, this will not apply to CM.

The only time I've seen any defendant compensated is if they can produce irrefutable evidence that would completely exonerate them.

If CM had such irrefutable proof he would have produced it way before now. He hasn't. He can't even verify his alibi for the day in question. Just because CJ, and his daughter says so is not concrete proof of anything.

Being found NG in no way says CM is innocent. It just would mean the jury felt the DA didnt prove their case. Which won't happen anyway imo.

It seems some are under the false impression that BARD is a easy peasy hurdle to overcome for defendants. Riiight. Lol! It's not based on some imaginary or fanciful doubt. Defense attorneys know all too well it's a high burden for them to overcome. That's the reason in the vast majority of cases they got their butt kicked many more times, than not.

I read an article a few years back stating defense attorneys win about 10% of their cases, and many of them were high priced defense attorneys.

That's why they are able to put their wins up on the wall in their office. Lol!

Prosecutors wouldnt begin to have enough wall space to even begin to put up all of their cases that have ended in convictions which were proven BARD. Lol!

Jmo
Exactly. ITA.

The burden is upon the prosecution to overcome not the defense.

Explain "malicious prosecution" in regards to this trial.

Explain "malicious prosecution" in regards to this trial.

Yeah

Call me old fashioned but if you want to make out a legal course of action applies you need to set out the legal tests and explain what evidence indicates they are met

I say this as someone who wrote an hons paper on malicious prosecution.

But I am not going to bother posting about it because it doesn't apply in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley