Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cell phone is a concern. I was originally thinking it was out of battery, however, if she was in her car it would have been plugged in. Everyone is glued to their phoned today. I would think she would have immediately connected the charger before starting the car.
True but it is a 10 year old model Honda. If she lost battery and her phone died, it sometimes takes awhile to get it back on when it's plugged in - especially in the car. On newer models and better phone chargers, it might power on quicker and also depending on how dead her cell battery was. My guess is that her phone died at the party and something happened to her right after that.

I can't help but wonder if there was an incident in that area involving kids using drugs and or alcohol that was criminally charged after speaking up. Seems very unusual that adults are encouraging kids not to come forward with information.

Not really. They are protecting thier own. If someone outside of the high school students (that attended the party) brought drugs laced with something - and IF they find Kiely harmed or not alive and it's tied to said drugs, they could go after them and or the person that supplied them the drugs etc - I am not a lawyer but I am sure they can do something criminally.

So they are probably telling them to shut up.

Can you imagine some of the parents that maybe even knew there would be under age drinking and let their young kids go.

Lawsuit city.

I really really hope someone can definitively say they saw her leave that way they have SOMETHING. Buy a burner phone and call it in for the love of god.

Just my opinions....

Last edited:
Cops can be scary. Tactics used to get information can include threats of prosecution. I wish that more positivity had been emphasized when asking for tips, encouraging and stressing once again that this is about Kiely. That’s why I am not against the ability to text/email/call in anonymously via the website. People want to protect their kids and their futures. If a parent believes that their child could be harmed by coming forward, their instinct can be to protect their own. I see both sides. Look at the way SS is being attacked. I understand she put herself front and center, for whatever reason, but it might make one hesitate.

Kiely’s mother states that Kiely had gone to other gatherings/parties at the Sanctuary, a decades-long safe hangout for teens. What was different this time was the unusually large number gathered.

That's true, but also true is that she's older now than she was at any point she'd attended this "gathering" before.

How a 16-year old might behave at this kind of party can be very different than how a 13 or 14-year old might behave. Also, if she was too young to drive in earlier years, she may have been driven and picked up by her parents.
im not too sure it was ever "safe"... i feel like it was chosen because its remote and private, away from prying eyes of cops and parents.

I absolutely agree.

<modsnip - arguing with moderator’s actions> Everyone’s quick to disregard the LDR sweatshirt, but it reflects the mindset of some of the partygoers. An eerie coincidence? Maybe. I’ve put myself in stupid situations when I was a teen. There’s always older guys who use alcohol and drugs to prey on underage girls. Tale as old as time.
I think someone overheard her on the phone with her mom. If she was intoxicated and unable to drive, a guy might have offered to drive her car for her. I let guys drive my car before stupidly. From there, I’m not sure what happened.
I can see where my car is parked on maps from my iPhone. I have a 2013 Honda Pilot. I wonder if Honda can somehow track her car down. Must be a way.

Nowadays, all Honda's come equipped with Skylink. It's a free service and it can track your vehicle if it's stolen. Unfortunately, Honda started equipping all vehicles with Skylink in 2014 and Kiely's car is a 2013.

The cell phone is a concern. I was originally thinking it was out of battery, however, if she was in her car it would have been plugged in. Everyone is glued to their phoned today. I would think she would have immediately connected the charger before starting the car.
Yes. If someone with nefarious intent approached her from behind while she was talking, (or texting) on the phone, it would probably occur to that person to immediately shut it off or break it.

True but it is a 10 year old model Honda. If she lost battery and her phone died, it sometimes takes awhile to get it back on when it's plugged in - especially in the car. On newer models and better phone chargers, it might power on quicker and also depending on how dead her cell battery was. My guess is that her phone died at the party and something happened to her right after that.

Great thinking! We also don’t know for sure that in her state she had the wherewithal to plug in her phone. She could have also been trying to plug in her phone while driving and crashed.

While it is possible to escape a car that goes into water, this link shows that you literally have about a minute to get out before water is up to the windows. A car will usually be completely submerged in under five minutes after going in. It would require calmness and clear thinking to get out safely, imo, and that is probably not something that an impaired person would have. JMO

ETA...Everyone should get a tool that will break glass, and keep it in their car. They are inexpensive, and available at every auto parts store, and may save your life.

On the subject of sinking cars, I know, young or old, when I’ve had to much of anything and I’m being driven home or anywhere, I want my window down. I don’t care if it’s snowing or storming. I want fresh air.

Am I missing something?

Why can’t these teens call crime stoppers or give info anonymously? Is this just to simple?

A girl’s life is at stake here. It’s not about them. If you saw something…SAY SOMETHING!

MOO

Are people innately "good," or will mob mentality devolve into evil? What is created in the absence of social norms?

Viewing this mob/party as a microcosm, since it was a temporary "society" in the woods and not a long-term society on an island, it appears that social order did break down.

And, of course, in the novel, one child's life is sacrificed.
Well said- no, very well said. I wish I could articulate as well as you can. I also forgot that a child died in the novel.

I really hope that the break down in social order did not involve a descent into social Darwinism where "Anything goes" declined further to "Everyone for themselves".

The possible victim was alone, female and intoxicated. This is not a good combination in an isolated area where the social norms are breaking down.

A couple thing I wanted to call out; first is that I was in Tahoe during the time Kiely went missing and it was raining/storming all day (Friday). Not sure if it was in prosser, but if she would’ve been driving towards tahoe there’s a good possibility it was on slick/muddy roads. Second is that I keep reading over and over that if her car went into water it would’ve been found by now because the water body is shallow and that is absolutely NOT true. There’s a lake where I’m from that’s extremely shallow and small and there’s been multiple times cars/bodies have been lost in there for YEARS. I’ll link the article, but here’s a blurb from an article about the lake after a car was found with a missing woman inside (after her body parts washed to shore twice):

Lieutenant Joel Swanson said the department searched the lake in 2018 after the discovery of the leg, missing the submerged vehicle because it was placed in a part of the lake that was less than 10 feet deep, where sonar isn't as useful.

"If there was something in the deeper parts of the lake, we should have been able to find that,” he said. “Along the edges of the banks that run anywhere between 1- and 9-feet deep, there’s a potential that stuff could be there. Obviously we haven’t been able to search the entire lake with that regard.”

Article:

Slightly O/T
This is just a FYI for anyone that owns a vehicle manufactured on or before 2018.

When 5G was rolled out this spring, many vehicles lost their "On Star"/locating capabilities. As 5G was rolled out, 3G disappeared. Many locating services (before 2018) were based on 3G technology.

KR's car was a Honda and I don't think ever had tracing technology. I feel it is worth noting because many other - pre 2018 vehicles have lost those capabilities.

I don't think most owners even realize this.

Again, just a FYI.
And almost all are subscription services which a teen or the parents may not have paid for...

The Placer County Sheriff’s Office has released a website for the community to submit photos and videos to help in the investigation into missing 16-year-old Kiely Rodni.

Angela Musallam with the sheriff’s office said Friday that authorities continue to receive tips, but "most leads have not panned out and have not been fruitful. But we are not discouraged."

She added that officials have received reports of adults dissuading people from coming forward, which "impeded on the investigation."

Anyone who is caught dissuading people from coming forward could be arrested, she said.

On Saturday, the Placer County community is hosting an event called "Kountry for Kiely," which will include music and a fundraiser for Rodni's family, at the Truckee Regional Park from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

"In gratitude, we honor and love the support from our amazing teens and community at large that have been on the front lines of this crisis since day one," a flyer for the event reads. "Team Kiely is strong. Wear white in solidarity. Let's bring our girl home."

Cops can be scary. Tactics used to get information can include threats of prosecution. I wish that more positivity had been emphasized when asking for tips, encouraging and stressing once again that this is about Kiely. That’s why I am not against the ability to text/email/call in anonymously via the website. People want to protect their kids and their futures. If a parent believes that their child could be harmed by coming forward, their instinct can be to protect their own. I see both sides. Look at the way SS is being attacked. I understand she put herself front and center, for whatever reason, but it might make one hesitate.
By all accounts LE have done the "soft walk" to the inclusion of "teen to teen" meetings without direct adult or LE prescence.

KR was alone at the party

No boyfriend
No JW Bass guy
One friend left after 30 minutes
SS left without her, yet reporting she was inebriated.

Grrrrr `@'
Yep. Just gone, both of her friends on that night -- and Kiely may truly be gone forever.
I can't imagine how they feel now. SMH.

Hoping for good news, still hoping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members