Found Deceased CA - Kiely Rodni missing from Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know what store the video was from? For some reason, I recall discussion that it was the Cha Fine Tea shop where Kiely worked. A poster here recognized some of the background items. I could be mistaken though.

Here’s an article wih a video from inside the store.

Hmmm....maybe? I compared the two videos, and the shelving looks similar. Could be? I would definitely defer to a local there. Did/do find it a little odd they did not just say which local business she was at though? Seems that would have been the kind of detail people would have used for tips--i.e."Hey steeltown, didn't you say you stopped there last night? A young girl is missing and...."

So many little things are just different with this case, but LE must have their reasons.

Hmmm....maybe? I compared the two videos, and the shelving looks similar. Could be? I would definitely defer to a local there. Did/do find it a little odd they did not just say which local business she was at though? Seems that would have been the kind of detail people would have used for tips--i.e."Hey steeltown, didn't you say you stopped there last night? A young girl is missing and...."

So many little things are just different with this case, but LE must have their reasons.
Probably because it wasn't the last confirmed sighting of Kiely. They have her at the party on video in the pink and white hoodie. So where she was beforehand probably isn't of much relevance, not to the public anyway.

In 1994, Susan Smith rolled her car down a boat ramp into John D Long Lake, in Union, SC, and it was found 9 days later, and after two previous searches, some 100 feet out into the lake. I am not surprised at all Kiely's car was 55 ft out. JMO
While I'm not an expert on this, so this is MOO, wouldn't the distance a car be found from shore be due to currents? I wouldn't think a car would float out far in still water, but I'm thinking a lot of movement in water could push a car further from shore. Any idea if that is still water or if there's a lot of movement/rushing?

Reactions: IDK
Has anyone seen a commitment from Nevada County that they will actually inform the public of autopsy results, or when the criminal investigation is completed? I have not seen LE follow up since this.

TRUCKEE, Calif. (AP) — An autopsy Tuesday confirmed that a body found inside a car submerged in a Northern California reservoir is that of 16-year-old Kiely Rodni, who disappeared after going to a large youth party earlier this month, authorities said.

No other results of the autopsy were released in a Facebook post by the Nevada County Sheriff’s Office.

“This is an ongoing investigation, and no other information is available at this time,” it said.

From @Allabouttrial’s excellent 8/23 PC summary, we know the investigation will take a while, and Nevada County will receive results:

Reporter
- How long will the investigation into the car...maybe that's for Highway Patrol or the FBI - How long does an investigation, to look at a car, take to figure out what may have happened?

Nevada Captain - I mean, I think there's a lot of factors in that. I don't mind turning it over to CHP and let them answer.

CHP Assistant Captain - Because, obviously, we have a multi-faceted investigation with multiple agencies it can take time. You know, the FBI is working, evaluating the vehicle, we have to come in and do that. We want to allow them to work, we'll come in and examine data, examine the vehicle, have all our investigators look at that car. So, depending on circumstances it can be several days, it could be several weeks, we also want to wait on other information related from the coroner's office and other things that all get compiled into a comprehensive investigation. So the easy answer is - it could take a while.

(…)
Reporter - May I ask - Have you been able to determine a cause of death? And will there be a toxicology report being conducted?

Placer Captain - Autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow and toxicology results generally take 4-6 weeks for a return on those and at that time we will provide that back over to Nevada County

Post in thread 'CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6'
Found Deceased - CA - Kiely Rodni Missing From Party Near Prosser Family Campground in Truckee #6

The windshield also could have been broken when the car landed on the bottom, upside down, after sinking.
Was the windshield broken? I thought it was the driver side window.

"The vehicle was found upside down and about 14 feet underwater, diver Nick Rinn, who discovered the car, told The Post. The driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat."

Probably because it wasn't the last confirmed sighting of Kiely. They have her at the party on video in the pink and white hoodie. So where she was beforehand probably isn't of much relevance, not to the public anyway.

Except they did not when they released the video from the store.

So, yes, it was an unusual omission.

Was the windshield broken? I thought it was the driver side window.

"The vehicle was found upside down and about 14 feet underwater, diver Nick Rinn, who discovered the car, told The Post. The driver’s window was broken and there was a body in the backseat."

It looks to me like the driver side window may have been broken by the retrieval team. In the photo in the linked article a guideline can be clearly seen snaking through that window. IMO

I don’t recall seeing this Nevada County Sheriff’s post here yet, but apologies if it was and I missed it. Nice shout-out to AWP.

Earlier this week we had the opportunity to meet with Adventures With Purpose (AWP) to debrief lessons learned from the search for Kiely Rodni. Their expertise in handling dozens of cases like this throughout the Country was extremely helpful. We appreciate their humble approach to providing us with information and tools that will allow us to improve our capabilities. This was an extremely beneficial debrief and we are appreciative of the time that they invested in this case. Keep up the great work, AWP!

Attachments

• DFC3307D-2601-43DA-805A-0998E6F40A7F.jpeg
    DFC3307D-2601-43DA-805A-0998E6F40A7F.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 9
I don’t recall seeing this Nevada County Sheriff’s post here yet, but apologies if it was and I missed it. Nice shout-out to AWP.

Earlier this week we had the opportunity to meet with Adventures With Purpose (AWP) to debrief lessons learned from the search for Kiely Rodni. Their expertise in handling dozens of cases like this throughout the Country was extremely helpful. We appreciate their humble approach to providing us with information and tools that will allow us to improve our capabilities. This was an extremely beneficial debrief and we are appreciative of the time that they invested in this case. Keep up the great work, AWP!

A bit of an LE PR exercise no doubt. IMO.

They don't need the phone to retrieve the data, do they? Even without it, can't they reconstruct her route from beginning to end with the vehicle information alone? Along with every action, including opening and closing doors and windows?
As far as the EDR goes, I think it is triggered by a rapid change in wheel speed, engine malfunction and probably if the air bags deploy. As far as I can tell it only records a few seconds (don't know how many) worth of data around the time of the incident that triggered it.

I would think hitting the water would cause it to record but I'm certainly not sure of that.

My car experience comes from an era of dual point distributors and 3/4 race cams so I am not that familiar with this fancy new stuff.

JMHO

The windshield also could have been broken when the car landed on the bottom, upside down, after sinking.
Agree, a CRV is about 3,500#. Once in the water, I think it floated for a while but after it started filling with water, I imagine it sunk to the lake bottom pretty quickly. That could explain a lot of the car damage.

JMO

I wonder if there is anything else related to the video from the store? (Such as someone purchasing alcohol?)

We were never told anything about the store where Kiely was caught on tape, and I always found that a bit curious. In my experience, when people go missing and there is any question about if they could have been abducted, I always remember something like "She/he was seen on tape from a nearby 7-11 or Walmart or ___ earlier that evening."
It would surprise me if a Tea Shop sold alcohol. It would also surprise me if KR (under age) worked at an establishment that sold liquor.

JMO

As far as the EDR goes, I think it is triggered by a rapid change in wheel speed, engine malfunction and probably if the air bags deploy. As far as I can tell it only records a few seconds (don't know how many) worth of data around the time of the incident that triggered it.

I would think hitting the water would cause it to record but I'm certainly not sure of that.

My car experience comes from an era of dual point distributors and 3/4 race cams so I am not that familiar with this fancy new stuff.

JMHO

An Event Data Recorder (EDR) is a function or device installed in a motor vehicle to record technical vehicle and occupant information for a brief period of time (seconds, not minutes) before, during and after a crash for the purpose of monitoring and assessing vehicle safety system performance. For instance, EDRs may record (1) pre-crash vehicle dynamics and system status, (2) driver inputs, (3) vehicle crash signature, (4) restraint usage/deployment status, and (5) post-crash data such as the activation of an automatic collision notification (ACN) system.

Here is the list of Verified Facts for this Case from LE (no MSM verified facts to add yet)

I have updated this list with facts from LE since I last posted this list Thread5, Post704, Fri., 8/19.

1) 8/5, 6pm store surveillance image of KR with description of KR's apparel (black body shirt, green dickies, vans, etc.)

2) two sweatshirts / hoodies: a) KR wore a pink & white one at the Prosser Camp party per video; b) a black one she had

3) jewelry KR may have worn include nose ring on left nostril, multiple piercings on both ears, belly piercing, and various jewelry such as necklaces, bracelets, and rings

4) markings on KR's skin include a cross tattooed on left rib, "17" tattooed on right hip, and a scar on left arm

5) make, model and license plate # of KR's car (2013 Honda CRV, CA 8YUR127)

6) ram sticker is on back window of KR's car, below the windshield wiper.

7) confirmation KR was at the 8/5-8/6 Prosser Camp party

8) a text to Mom from KR's phone at 8/5, 11:30pm

9) final ping from KR's phone at 8/6, 12:33am from party location (near water and land)

10) KR may have gone somewhere after the Prosser Camp party (but SO says no one has come forward to say they saw KR leave or where KR may have been heading)

11) some adults initially discouraged people and possibly teens coming forward with information, but was resolved as of Tuesday, 8/16 SO press conference. However as of 8/18, SO says some have come forward, many are staying silent.

12) upwards of 400 juveniles have been interviewed [Note: this may not mean 400 people were at party]

13) Adventures with Purpose (AWP) located KR's car in Prosser Lake on 8/21 within a search zone that LE has been searching since the very beginning of our operation.

14) KR's car was found at at depth of 14 - 15 feet but the water level, since the 6th, has also dropped a vertical of 3.5-4 feet which could be 20-25 feet [further] off of shore

15) one body was found in the car and an autopsy 8/23 confirmed the descendent was KR

16) this is still an active investigation including the CHP (California Highway Patrol) conducting a fatality traffic collision investigation and utilizing their MAIT (Multi-disciplinary Active Investigation Team) to harness more data.

Again, if I have missed or misstated anything, please let me know.

p.s. for timeline, maps, media coverage, interviews, etc. please see the separate thread for this case with that info. A link to that thread has been shared within the threads, but also at the beginning of each thread for easy access.
10) KR may have gone somewhere after the Prosser Camp party (but SO says no one has come forward to say they saw KR leave or where KR may have been heading)

Is this a verified fact??

Is this a verified fact??

My guess is that it made the list before KR’s body was found. Theoretically, it might still be true, but its likelihood now is practically nil.

MOO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members