Deceased/Not Found CA - Kristin Smart, 19, San Luis Obispo, 5/25/1996 *Guilty* #4

I got this:

Not Found​

The requested URL was not found on the server. If you entered the URL manually please check your spelling and try again.

okay - I took off the last part of the url that you provided - and ended up here:

A way-back machine. So if I put a url that I can not see in Europe in there it will come up? I shall give it a try - Thanks!

I can not access this article - can someone give a 10% synopsis on this? TIA! :)

10/29/23

In 2021, Budrow strangled his new cellmate, serial killer Roger Reece Kibbe, who was known as the I-5 Strangler in the 1970s and 1980s. Kibbe strangled and raped at least seven women — several of them in the Sacramento and Stockton areas along Interstate 5 — and cut his victims’ clothing into odd patterns.

The killing of Kibbe in Mule Creek State Prison in Ione, roughly 30 miles (50 kilometers) southeast of Sacramento, earned Budrow another consecutive life sentence. An autopsy revealed that Budrow, then 40, strangled the 81-year-old Kibbe in their cell.

In a letter to The San Jose Mercury News, Budrow wrote that he killed Kibbe on the day they became cellmates, though he had planned the murder for months after he saw a TV special about him and had sought to share a cell so he could carry it out. Budrow wrote that although he wanted a single cell, he was on “a mission for avenging” Kibbe’s victims.

Budrow told the newspaper that he had carved “a crude inverted pentagram” into Kibbe’s body.

10/29/23

In 2021, Budrow strangled his new cellmate, serial killer Roger Reece Kibbe, who was known as the I-5 Strangler in the 1970s and 1980s. Kibbe strangled and raped at least seven women — several of them in the Sacramento and Stockton areas along Interstate 5 — and cut his victims’ clothing into odd patterns.

The killing of Kibbe in Mule Creek State Prison in Ione, roughly 30 miles (50 kilometers) southeast of Sacramento, earned Budrow another consecutive life sentence. An autopsy revealed that Budrow, then 40, strangled the 81-year-old Kibbe in their cell.

In a letter to The San Jose Mercury News, Budrow wrote that he killed Kibbe on the day they became cellmates, though he had planned the murder for months after he saw a TV special about him and had sought to share a cell so he could carry it out. Budrow wrote that although he wanted a single cell, he was on “a mission for avenging” Kibbe’s victims.

Budrow told the newspaper that he had carved “a crude inverted pentagram” into Kibbe’s body.

Thanks for that additional info!

Thursday, November 16th:
*Restitution Hearing (@ am PT) - CA - Kristin Denise Smart (19) (missing May 25, 1996 while walking back to her dorm from a off campus frat party at Cal Poly, reported missing on May 26, 1996, San Luis Obispo, still missing; legally declared dead on May 25, 2002) – *Paul Ruben Flores (19 @ time of crime/44/now 47) arrested (4/13/21), charged (4/14/21) & arraigned (10/20/21) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. No bond.
Trial began on 7/18/22 & ended 9/29/22. 10/4/22: Verdict: Total: ~27 hours of deliberations. Found guilty of 1st degree murder. Sentencing hearing on 3/10/23. Sentenced to 25 years to life with no probation. With time served & good behavior he’s eligible for a parole board hearing in about 15 years.
Case, attorney on case, jury deliberations & court info from 5/17/21 thru 7/19/22 & Trial Days 1-40 & closing & jury deliberations (7/18 to 10/14/22) & from 11/22/22 thru 8/23/23 reference post #831 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/ca-kristin-smart-san-luis-obispo-arrests-4.635475/page-42

9/7/23 Update: Flores missed Thursday's court appearance where he was expected to request attorney Harold Mesick represent him for the restitution phase of his case. The hearing was postponed to 9/28/23.
9/28/23 Update: Chris Peuvrelle, the prosecutor for the Smart murder trial & Judge Jennifer O'Keefe were in the courtroom Thursday morning. Appearing remotely were DA investigator JT Camp & some Smart family members along with Ruben & attorney Harold Mesick. Paul was requesting Mesick represent him during the restitution portion of his case. Since Mesick represented Ruben during the lengthy trial last year, both father & son had to wave conflict of interest, which was done before Judge O'Keefe Thursday & approved. A separate hearing for the restitution determination was set for 11/16/23.
*Ruben Ricardo Flores (55 @ time of crime/80/now 82) - Found not guilty of accessory after the fact on 10/14/22.

@Emi - any news on his restitution hearing? TIA! :)

I am coming up with zip...
I found a link via the DA's office but under his case, the box for future court dates is blank.

DA File Number: 079662557
Defendant Name: Flores, Paul Ruben
Birth Year: 1976
Case Status: Open
Court Number: 21F-02402-A

Offense Date: 5/25/1996
Same with 5 day calendar:

I found a link via the DA's office but under his case, the box for future court dates is blank.

DA File Number: 079662557
Defendant Name: Flores, Paul Ruben
Birth Year: 1976
Case Status: Open
Court Number: 21F-02402-A

Offense Date: 5/25/1996
Same with 5 day calendar:

Thanks! I can not access the first link - but can the 2nd one. So I will check it out after about 5 days - it says unavailable right now.

Thanks! I can not access the first link - but can the 2nd one. So I will check it out after about 5 days - it says unavailable right now.
Don't know if you checked the calendar recently and/or are tracking the parents but they have a progress hearing on Dec 13. (Future Court Dates is still blank for Paul).

Flores, Ruben 21CV-0230 12/13/2023 09:00 D2 Harold V. Mesick Progress Hearing
Flores, Susan 21CV-0230 12/13/2023 09:00 D2 Jeffry C. Radding Progress Hearing

Don't know if you checked the calendar recently and/or are tracking the parents but they have a progress hearing on Dec 13. (Future Court Dates is still blank for Paul).

Flores, Ruben 21CV-0230 12/13/2023 09:00 D2 Harold V. Mesick Progress Hearing
Flores, Susan 21CV-0230 12/13/2023 09:00 D2 Jeffry C. Radding Progress Hearing

I do not think I will keep track of them.... but thanks! :)

On Thursday, Smart's parents, brother and sister sued the university for wrongful death and negligence, alleging that officials could have prevented her death if they had properly dealt with university police reports filed by four other female students. Those students said Flores had stalked and harassed them in the months leading up to Smart's disappearance.

In one case, Flores allegedly tried to break into a student's apartment, according to the lawsuit.

The reports should have prompted the university to investigate, and suspend or expel Flores, removing him from on-campus housing and sending him back home “miles away from Kristin and the dorm room where he murdered her,” the lawsuit said.

Cal Poly says it cannot be sued for any alleged failures in the handling of Kristin Smart’s murder decades ago, the university claimed in a new court filing.[…] Cal Poly claimed in an April 2 court filing that the lawsuit was not viable for multiple reasons, including no proof of liability and a statute of limitations. It also claims because the Smart family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the university in 1996, which the family lost in 1997, it cannot sue the university a second time for the same reason.

Anyone know what happened at the restitution hearing back in November, 2023? Anything listed up coming for Flores? Or I can put this back on my "shelf"? TIA! :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven
Back