GUILTY CA - Laci Peterson, 27, pregnant, Modesto, 24 Dec 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only “suspects” I ever heard mentioned were the 2 male burglars across the street from the Peterson home and unnamed random drug users/dealers in the area. I don’t have a link as it was so long ago.
I can't imagine who they could be. There were those burglars who were questioned at one point but they wouldn't be "new."

New suspects? This is a penalty phase retrial not a new trial.

Ah - but there 2 things going on with his case.
In Stanislaus County - they will retry the penalty phase, but in San Mateo County - they are saying it was a Judicial error on part of the judge to exclude prospective jurors because they didn't believe in the death penalty. A whole new "might" be needed - on ruling yet.

edited to add:

11/6 hearing is for the Stanislaus case & 11/13 San Mateo County.

Friday, November 6th:
*Status Hearing (Stanislaus County) (@ am PT) – CA – Laci Denise Peterson (27) & Connor (unborn) (missing Dec. 24, 2002, Modesto; found April 13, 2003 in the San Francisco Bay) - *Scott Lee Peterson (30 @ time of crime/47) convicted & found guilty (11/12/04) & sentenced (3/16/04) to the death penalty. San Mateo County
He was convicted on 2004 of the 1st degree murder of his pregnant wife, Laci, & the second-degree murder of their unborn son, Conner, & in 2005, he was sentenced to death by lethal injection. His case is currently on automatic appeal to the Supreme Court of California. Sits on San Quentin's death row. Calif. Supreme Court denied a new trial in the guilt phase but reversed the death penalty sentence for Stanislaus County. Also the San Mateo Superior Court will now consider whether there was jury misconduct.
Court info from 5/14/20 thru 10/15/20 reference post #222 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/threads/scott-peterson-thread-31.525444/page-12

10/21/20 Update: The hearing is scheduled to take place at 8:30 a.m. on 10/23/20 in the Stanislaus County Court. According to the court, the purpose of the hearing is to see if Peterson needs a public defender or if he has his own attorneys.
10/23/20 Update: Stanislaus County: Peterson appeared via video from prison today for a Zoom court hearing. Judge's orders prohibited any rebroadcasting, live streaming or screen capture. D.A. WILL retry the death sentencing penalty phase in this case. New hearing set for Nov. 6. Peterson acknowledged that he would temporarily waive time in the case to consult with his new attorney, Pat Harris, which gives him time to consult with his lawyer on whether to put off the penalty phase trial until the judge decides whether or not to throw out his conviction.
The court ruled that a San Mateo Superior Court judge must decide whether prejudicial misconduct by a juror occurred when she failed to disclose that she’d been the victim of a crime and obtained a restraining order against the perpetrator. A hearing in that case is scheduled for Nov. 13. Chief Deputy District Attorney Dave Harris, appearing remotely over video conference along with District Attorney Birgit Fladager, said they wanted to wait for the outcome of that San Mateo hearing before beginning jury selection because they might have to retry the entire case.
10/26/20: Stanislaus County Assistant District Attorney Dave Harris will seek the death penalty for Scott Peterson as a judge considers throwing out his conviction for murdering his pregnant wife, Laci because of juror misconduct during a 2005 trial.

Looks like the Stanislaus court hearing was vacated - and the hearing will be held in San Mateo County today, 11/6/20.

Scott Peterson Court Hearing To Be Held Friday In San Mateo County

Nov. 6, 2020
SAN MATEO COUNTY (CBS13) — Convicted killer Scott Peterson will make an appearance in a San Mateo County Court on Friday.

His defense team filed a motion for San Mateo County to take over his appeal case immediately. Peterson had a hearing scheduled in Stanislaus County that has been vacated and moved to San Mateo County.
[.....]
The court did decide to uphold Peterson’s murder conviction but left open the possibility for prosecutors to try again for the same sentence.
[.....]
No cameras will be allowed in court on Friday.

Hopefully there will be some tweeters there! :)

Quote RSBM.

I hear you, but one problem with appeals is that her family has to go through the stress of them and another is if the rulings on the appeals don't go as they should.

Imo, Laci's family is fully prepared to go through whatever is necessary.

They wanted the death penalty when it was rendered by his first jury.

I'm sure their opinion about this monster double murderer hasn't changed one iota.

Sharon is very strong woman. She will be right there to the bitter end for her murdered daughter, and little grandson.

Jmho

Melanie Wingo | KCRA @MelWingoKCRA
30m
Peterson attorney Pat Harris and Scott’s sister-in-law Janey Peterson just entered the Superior Court bldg. here in San Mateo County. No cameras/recording devices will be allowed in the courtroom. Listen-only public access line available here: https://sanmateocourt.org/general_info/remote_appearance_by_public.php…

Melanie Wingo | KCRA @MelWingoKCRA
50m

Holding raffle tickets for my photographer and myself. Hoping to be selected as one of the few media members allowed in court to watch proceedings for
@kcranews. Court says Scott Peterson will appear via video call

Don't know what is wrong - but the court site won't let me copy on "what" happened. Here's the link:

Superior Court of California, County of San Mateo

The gist of what it says:

Judge Anne-Christine Massullo granted permission for Peterson to appear telephonically. Defense attorney Pat Harris present & Peterson appeared via video call. Peterson waives right to speedy trial, new date set for 2021. Status conference hearing on 11/9/20 @ 11am with Judge Massullo & status conference hearing on 1/21/21 @ 10am with visiting Judge.

Can anyone access the Stansilaus County court site? It won't let me in... was just wondering what it might say about this case.

TIA! :)

Also wondering if the 11/13/20 San Mateo County court date is still "on" considering the Judge set 11/9/20 as the next date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunshine2u49