GUILTY CA - Madyson Middleton, 8, Santa Cruz, 26 July 2015 - #3 *Arrest*

The horrific part is someone else’s little girl is going to die and cause her family a lifetime of suffering when it could have been prevented.

A teen who stabs a little girl to death is not capable of rehabilitation.

IMO.

Just checking in to see what's happening. Still no trial?

May 16, 2019

Adrian Gonzalez could still be prosecuted as an adult, SB 1391 ruled unconstitutional

“The judge behind today's ruling is the same judge who decided last year that Gonzalez should be tried as an adult but that was when Prop 57 was in effect.

Prop 57 was passed by voters in 2016, and it allowed judges to decide whether a teen should be tried as an adult or a juvenile. Last year, the state legislature took the next step by passing SB 1391 which keeps 14- and 15-year-olds out of adult court and prison.

Judge Salazar's decision today finding SB 1391 Unconstitutional will be appealed by Gonzalez's attorneys.”

Maddy Middleton's killer pleads guilty to all charges

A Santa Cruz man who was facing 126 years to life in prison for the murder of 8-year-old Maddie Middleton, is now going back to the juvenile court system where he could go free in four years.

In a Santa Cruz courtroom Tuesday, 21-year-old Adrian Gonzalez admitted to all charges in connection to the kidnapping, rape, and murder of Maddie more than five years ago.

“I'm glad the case is coming to an end it's been hard especially for Maddyson's family and our heart goes out to the family and everyone effected by it,” said Larry Biggam, Gonzalez’s defense attorney.

Gonzalez entered his guilty pleas the same day his case was transferred back down to juvenile court after a state supreme court decision earlier this year upheld a state law preventing anyone under 16 from being tried as an adult. Gonzalez was 15 when he murdered his young neighbor, just three months shy of turning 16.

“The crimes were absolutely horrific unconscionable, in every way, the coverup was unconscionable… never seen anything like it,” said Santa Cruz district attorney, Jeff Rosell.

Gonzalez who is now 21 could be released from the juvenile justice system when he turns 25. The prosecution and defense at odds as to whether Middleton's killer can be reformed in four years.

“I think Adrian's chances for change and growth and maturation are enhanced at the department of juvenile justice system especially compared to the adult prison system like Soledad or San Quentin,” said Biggam.

“Anybody who thinks about what happened how he was aroused during the process of killing her and all that who thinks that he's going to be miraculously fixed by the age of 25 is wrong they're sorely mistaken,” add Rosell.

When Adrian Gonzalez turns 25 there’s no guarantee he’ll be released from the juvenile justice system. The court can be petitioned to extend Gonzalez’s time in custody.

“They can do two year extensions indefinitely and a lot of that will depend really on the quality of his services and his response to that treatment,” said Gonzalez’s attorney.

But district attorney Rosell noted that the Department of Juvenile Justice is currently in the process of being reformed and it’s unknown if or who will be able to file for extensions.

“and since they’re disappearing the question is can anyone do it and the answer is we’re not sure at this point we’re going to have to see how this plays out,” Rosell said.

Gonzalez is scheduled to be back in juvenile court April 27 for sentencing.

Gonzalez is the most heinous type of offender and I don’t think there’s much chance of him ever being reformed at all, by any system.
ITA! And yet chances are good that he'll be out and about within a decade - bigger, stronger and savvier.

Sexual predators don't change. There's no miracle cure for their desires. As noted above this kid was aroused by killing Maddie. He had a plan to lure her and he followed it. He showed no remorse over his actions, in fact he was excited by the desperate search for Maddie.

We can only hope that there's someone in power with enough intelligence and resolve who will renounce any attempts by Gonzalez to manipulate the system. Otherwise IMO he will kill again. MOO.

@Peppery and @MsMarple -- You are both correct and 100%. Yes, he will kill again...
There will be one more predator on the streets (again) in just a few years. I could just scream. And I'm trying not to even think about Madyson's family -- I don't want to think about that part of this absolutely awful piece of news.

I was thinking of Maddy while reading Lina’s thread. I hope it’s not a repeat.

AMBER ALERT - TX - Lina Sardar Khil, 3, last seen on playground @ apartment complex, San Antonio, 20 Dec 2021

I wondered what had happened in Maddy’s case. It’s awful. :mad:
https://lookout.co/santacruz/news/s...iller-who-is-set-to-walk-free-in-october-2024
'You stole my joy': Maddy Middleton's mom, others decry sentence that sets up girl's killer for release at 25

The mother of slain 8-year-old Madyson Middleton told a judge sentencing her daughter’s killer Tuesday that she has lived in “constant and chronic” fear, anger, rage, grief and despair since her daughter’s murder.

And speaking to the man who admitted killing Maddy — as her family called her — Laura Jordan implored: “You stole my joy, my ability to laugh sincerely, leaving me with utter and complete hopelessness.”

Jordan was among the family members who spoke in court before Judge John Salazar sentenced Adrian Gonzalez to the maximum penalty allowed — under juvenile law — for sexually assaulting and killing Maddy in 2015.

The penalty, in the eyes of protesters who descended on the courthouse, was lenient: Under state law, Gonzalez was sentenced to a Department of Juvenile Justice facility until he turns 25, which will happen in October 2024

'You stole my joy': Maddy Middleton's mom, others decry sentence that sets up girl's killer for release at 25

Since he was sentenced as a juvenile, Gonzalez must be released at age 25 unless the Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) determines he continues to present a serious threat to public safety. The DJJ could then request that a judge extend his sentence by two-year increments.

But the DJJ is set to be dissolved in 2023, casting added doubt on how that process would work.

“As it stands, if DJJ is gone, what are the procedures? The answer is right now there are none that are viable in 2023,” Santa Cruz County District Attorney Jeff Rosell told reporters. “That is something that clearly needs to be worked on.”

He is sentenced to 'juvenile detention' for brutally murdering a young girl?

People want to protect this teen killer, but what about the other juveniles he will be living with and befriending in 'detention?' He will rub off on and taint some of those other vulnerable juveniles, imo.

And then he waltzes away as an older, stronger, sicker young man in a few years. :mad::mad::mad:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back