CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know much about tents but if I was in one, I wouldn't want someone on the outside getting in. So, how does someone get into a tent if it's zipped from the inside? How did BIL get into the tent to find TB? And this would explain why he was shot from the outside into the tent.
Every tent I’ve seen has a dual zipper. If it only zipped from the inside, you wouldn’t be able to get in it in the first place. But they do have tent zipper locks you can buy to secure the zipper while sleeping. I’m assuming TB wasn’t using one or BIL would’ve had to cut open the tent to get in.

I don't know much about tents but if I was in one, I wouldn't want someone on the outside getting in. So, how does someone get into a tent if it's zipped from the inside? How did BIL get into the tent to find TB? And this would explain why he was shot from the outside into the tent.

The zippers are almost always double tabbed for convenience, so you can get in and out easily. There's no security. I suppose you could rig something with tethers and a lock, but since somebody wanting to break in could just slice the cloth open, there's not much point.

Schizophrenia and bipolar disorder are two different illnesses.

Suggesting someone shot up cars due to a mental illness perpetuates stigma. People with serious mental illnesses have enough to deal with without us adding in suspicion, unproven assumptions, and random accusations.

He was diagnosed with both, I read it in the court papers and he had been institutionalized for both. There is a lot I didn’t go into I was cutting it short for brevity that goes along with this. The police also agreed with the suspicion but couldn’t collect enough evidence to support it in a court of law. He was a person of interest and had been brought in for questioning. I have known many wonderful people with both disorders, he happens to have issues that go along with his illness. When he would go off his meds because he didn’t think he needed them, he would be a completely different person than when he was on them.

He was diagnosed with both, I read it in the court papers and he had been institutionalized for both. There is a lot I didn’t go into I was cutting it short for brevity that goes along with this. The police also agreed with the suspicion but couldn’t collect enough evidence to support it in a court of law. He was a person of interest and had been brought in for questioning. I have known many wonderful people with both disorders, he happens to have issues that go along with his illness. When he would go off his meds because he didn’t think he needed them, he would be a completely different person than when he was on them.

There is still nothing to suggest the person who shot TB has a mental illness.

Bringing fwd the latest msm for the new thread, I've hit my viewing limit at latimes so please bring fwd any snippets if there is anything new here.

Even more shootings uncovered at Malibu park before father was killed while camping, Sheriff's Department says

Even more shootings uncovered at Malibu park before father was killed while camping

"A department statement said there was no evidence to suggest previous shootings were related to the June 22 killing but they will be explored because the motive for the homicide remained unknown.

“There were a number of incidents but they were over an extended period of time. The pattern at this point certainly is not clear, if there is one at all,” Sheriff Jim McDonnell said this week."

7 Shootings Uncovered at Malibu Park Before Father Was Killed While Camping, But None Are Linked to Death

"The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department said Friday it has identified seven shootings in the Malibu Creek State Park area, but have yet to link them to the death of a father who was fatally shot earlier this month while camping with his two young daughters."

California father's killing at campsite leads to investigations into 7 past shootings - CNN

"The shootings detectives are investigating took place on November 3 and 9, 2016; Jan. 7, June 6, July 22, July 30, 2017 and most recently on June 18."

Last edited:
My thought at the moment is that this park/camp site has possibly been chosen for a reason, perhaps familiarity, that he/she likely is comfortable here and has spent much time before, moo.

Eta: no major epiphany, just sayin.

FTR I think it would be interesting to take a look at the info/characteristics, etc of:

* the Tampa shooter (he shot his victims at close range, lived and worked closeby, had ties to the neighborhood)
*the NOCO shooter (at least the one in custody linked to one killing); a shotgun was used to kill WC, he also lived very close by. In this case there was an attempted killing/shooting on a motorcyclist just prior to killing WC. Of course there were numerous window shatterings and shots on vehicles prior, which could not be linked. 2 other victims were also killed, which could not be linked.

*first question is how old these two shooters are, going back to look.

Neighbors say home of suspect in 2015 homicide drew past police presence
*note WC's killer was already known to police.
*Parker was 35.
*ftr he was an absoluuuuute nuuuutjob, his SM was craaaazy, rambling, shizoposts.

Tampa killings suspect faces 4 counts of murder - CNN
*the Tampa shooter was 24.
Eta: "Location data on his cell phone corresponded to an address near the killings at times when three of the homicides occurred, according to the affidavit."
"He said he never saw him angry, and at parties, he said Donaldson was a wallflower.
"[Trai was] just a regular guy," the former suitemate said. "Nothing stood out as violent.""

Last edited:
Can we fill in any more blanks about these shootings?

1. 11-3-16 @ 3:00 a.m. - The shooting of the wildlife biologist James Rogers in Tapia Park in a hammock while sleeping 200 yards from Malibu Canyon Road. Shotgun blast to the head. Pellets. Hit his arm that was over his head. Fired at close range.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/losang...d-shootings-calabasas-park-father-killed/amp/
https://www.google.com/amp/www.lati...k-shooting-20180627-story.html?outputType=amp
STATE PARK JURIS.
2. 11-9-16 ??
STATE PARK. JURIS.
3. 1-7-17 - @ 5:00 a.m. Young woman and her boyfriend sleeping in a car at the Malibu Creek Park. Heard gun shot. Found a slug in the car the next morning. Fired from 20 feet away. Would have hit her if it was an inch higher. No one injured.
Cops probe two MORE shootings at a Malibu park | Daily Mail Online
STATE PARK JURIS.
4. 6-6-17 - Shooting reported in the area. I'm not sure what, when, where.
SHERIFF JURIS.
5. 7-22-17 @ 5:30-6:00 a.m. Shooting of white, SUV type vehicle hit with shotgun pellets, on the right, rear passenger side, gas tank door hit and side back window. Location? No one injured.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/fb_img_1530371423396-jpg.137201/
The Local Malibu
SHERIFF JURIS.
6. 7-30-17 - ??
STATE PARK JURIS.
7. 6-18-18 at 4:20 a.m. Shots fired at a Tesla? at intersection of Las Virgenes and Mulholland Highway. https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/crimemapping-jpg.137206/
Bullet hit car. No one injured.
There were five shootings at and near a Malibu park over two years. Why didn't authorities alert the public until father was killed?
SHERIFF JURIS.
8. 6-22-18 @ 4:45 a.m. TB. Malibu Creek Park. Shot while inside the tent. Shot to the head. Possible two gun shot holes to tent.
STATE PARK JURIS.

I don’t have the time at the moment to do this myself, but has anyone tried looking up the other shootings at gunviolencearchive.org? They have records of all gun related incidents reported by law enforcement agencies dating back the last few years. Would be interesting to see if there are more details on the known dates of other reported shootings in the area, as well as any reports from the area that might include non shooting offenses (like weapons possession,etc). worth a dive.

Has anyone posted the local cell tower locations yet? Tia.

The early morning timing seems relevant here...as I stated earlier maybe on his way to or from work, or maybe even perhaps he's intoxicated by this time after an all nighter, idk, thinking out loud. Obviously the lack of sunlight plays a role.

Last edited:
I don’t have the time at the moment to do this myself, but has anyone tried looking up the other shootings at gunviolencearchive.org? They have records of all gun related incidents reported by law enforcement agencies dating back the last few years. Would be interesting to see if there are more details on the known dates of other reported shootings in the area, as well as any reports from the area that might include non shooting offenses (like weapons possession,etc). worth a dive.
Really? I don't think I knew about this...

Can we fill in any more blanks about these shootings?

1. 11-3-16 @ 3:00 a.m. - The shooting of the wildlife biologist James Rogers in Tapia Park in a hammock while sleeping 200 yards from Malibu Canyon Road. Shotgun blast to the head. Pellets. Hit his arm that was over his head. Fired at close range.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/losang...d-shootings-calabasas-park-father-killed/amp/
https://www.google.com/amp/www.lati...k-shooting-20180627-story.html?outputType=amp
STATE PARK JURIS.
2. 11-9-16 ??
STATE PARK. JURIS.
3. 1-7-17 - @ 5:00 a.m. Young woman and her boyfriend sleeping in a car at the Malibu Creek Park. Heard gun shot. Found a slug in the car the next morning. Fired from 20 feet away. Would have hit her if it was an inch higher. No one injured.
Cops probe two MORE shootings at a Malibu park | Daily Mail Online
STATE PARK JURIS.
4. 6-6-17 - Shooting reported in the area. I'm not sure what, when, where.
SHERIFF JURIS.
5. 7-22-17 @ 5:30-6:00 a.m. Shooting of white, SUV type vehicle hit with shotgun pellets, on the right, rear passenger side, gas tank door hit and side back window. Location? No one injured.
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/fb_img_1530371423396-jpg.137201/
The Local Malibu
SHERIFF JURIS.
6. 7-30-17 - ??
STATE PARK JURIS.
7. 6-18-18 at 4:20 a.m. Shots fired at a Tesla? at intersection of Las Virgenes and Mulholland Highway. https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/crimemapping-jpg.137206/
Bullet hit car. No one injured.
There were five shootings at and near a Malibu park over two years. Why didn't authorities alert the public until father was killed?
SHERIFF JURIS.
8. 6-22-18 @ 4:45 a.m. TB. Malibu Creek Park. Shot while inside the tent. Shot to the head. Possible two gun shot holes to tent.
STATE PARK JURIS.

Good stuff, gitana. Do we know the caliber of the slug of the 1/7/17 incident and the type of bullet of the 6/18/18? Tia.

"At least two cars have been hit by gunfire in recent months in Malibu Canyon, near where Beaudette was killed."
*this is so NOCOish, it's killing me...(right, Hatfield?)
'No Evidence' Linking Campground Shooting to Other Crimes
Crazy thought, but what if it's our NOCO vehicle shooter...chances are slim, but man you never know...(see signature for reference for those who don't know about NOCO.)

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
My thought at the moment is that this park/camp site has possibly been chosen for a reason, perhaps familiarity, that he/she likely is comfortable here and has spent much time before, moo.

Eta: no major epiphany, just sayin.

FTR I think it would be interesting to take a look at the info/characteristics, etc of:

* the Tampa shooter (he shot his victims at close range, lived and worked closeby, had ties to the neighborhood)
*the NOCO shooter (at least the one in custody linked to one killing); a shotgun was used to kill WC, he also lived very close by. In this case there was an attempted killing/shooting on a motorcyclist just prior to killing WC. Of course there were numerous window shatterings and shots on vehicles prior, which could not be linked. 2 other victims were also killed, which could not be linked.

*first question is how old these two shooters are, going back to look.

Neighbors say home of suspect in 2015 homicide drew past police presence
*note WC's killer was already known to police.
*Parker was 35.
*ftr he was an absoluuuuute nuuuutjob, his SM was craaaazy, rambling, shizoposts.

Tampa killings suspect faces 4 counts of murder - CNN
*the Tampa shooter was 24.

The post by Carbuff of the google drive through the area shows it was "packed" with vehicles lining the road.

That can cause tension for residents who dislike the traffic, noise, congestion.

I wonder if there is an area resident who has made numerous complaints to LE about traffic and/or petty stuff about neighbors. That kind of person would be a stickler for "rules" I think, and may have standing "feuds" with neighbors over things like fences, animals, use of easements, use of property, parties/noise.

Just my SUPER amateur profiling.

But I wonder if investigators are looking around for such people.

Here is the info for the 18th of June 2018 from crimemapping.com (Location and time)

ScorpioRising, can you find the other shootings that we don't know much about, on that site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ONF21772