CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Campers were forced to leave all of the 60 campsites – which will stay closed until at least Thursday - on Friday.

“We hope to reopen on Friday, June 29,” Tony Hoffman, a superintendent for California State Parks told NBC4. “We’ll re-evaluate it daily to see if we can’t open sooner, or, of course, extend the closure if necessary.”"

Man shot dead while camping with two young daughters

*have the camps been reopened yet?

I think TB's death is unrelated to the past shootings and an arrest will be made soon-ish, but not soon enough, when a motive for the murder becomes apparent. That's my hope anyway.

Reasons:
-Extremely tight-lipped LE - They must know something that leads them to believe TB's death is isolated from other shootings.

-As a result, we know almost nothing about June 22, 2018.

-If LE believed one shooter is responsible for all 8 incidents, they would provide a lot more information to public, and issue warnings. I mean this dangerous person supposedly shoots at people and cars then just killed a man.

-'Sheriff's homicide detectives said Friday there is no evidence linking last Friday's fatal shooting of a man at Malibu State Park with earlier crimes, but a possible link has not been ruled out.'
'No Evidence' Linking Campground Shooting to Other Crimes
To me, 'there is no evidence' is much stronger than 'a possible link'.

MOO

Since the campground is near the road maybe someone was driving and shooting randomly in TB case. I don’t see firing a shotgun in a moving vehicle, personally, but if this was a handgun caliber it’s a possibility.

(This news story is what made me consider it. This is not the first time this has happened around here either, with them videoing it.
Snapchat video shows apparent random shooting in Galena Park
Snapchat video shows apparent random shooting in Galena Park)

Since the campground is near the road maybe someone was driving and shooting randomly in TB case. I don’t see firing a shotgun in a moving vehicle, personally, but if this was a handgun caliber it’s a possibility.

(This news story is what made me consider it.
Snapchat video shows apparent random shooting in Galena Park
Snapchat video shows apparent random shooting in Galena Park)

Where TB was shot doesn't seem to be anywhere close to the road.

I think TB's death is unrelated to the past shootings and an arrest will be made soon-ish, but not soon enough, when a motive for the murder becomes apparent. That's my hope anyway.

Reasons:
-Extremely tight-lipped LE - They must know something that leads them to believe TB's death is isolated from other shootings.

-If LE believed one shooter is responsible for all 8 incidents, they would provide a lot more information to public, and issue warnings. I mean this dangerous person supposedly shoots at people and cars then just killed a man.

-'Sheriff's homicide detectives said Friday there is no evidence linking last Friday's fatal shooting of a man at Malibu State Park with earlier crimes, but a possible link has not been ruled out.'

MOO

Linking crimes can be difficult depending on how much evidence was collected and preserved at prior crime scenes, not to mention if the shooter uses different weapons, etc. Vehicle shootings can be especially challenging as it is not always easy to recover a slug, and not all incidents might be reported/noticed. It is also early in the stages of the investigation so past evidence could have been (re)sent off for analysis, etc. IMO no word from LE yet doesn't necessarily mean anything either way yet. I do agree there's a chance these are unrelated.

"Campgrounds at Malibu Creek State Park are closed until further notice due to an ongoing investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. To ensure public safety, all camping reservations for the park have been cancelled until the campground reopens. Reservation holders are being contacted and refunds will be provided. Day-use areas at the park will remain open. California State Parks apologizes for the inconvenience. However, the safety of our park visitors is our top priority. California State Parks issued a statement on the incident on Monday, June 25."

Last edited:
Do we think he is parking in the lot provided? It seems unlikely but possible. The 7th review down mentions an electric meter to pay via credit car for the parking fee. If nothing else, a cross check to anyone with priors or it might be a good way for LE to find witnesses to previous incidents or if anyone got the creeps from someone on one of those days. Malibu Creek State Park (Calabasas) - 2018 All You Need to Know Before You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor
Or even better, if there were any repeat visitors on the days of the incidents.

Reasons:

MOO
That has been my feeling all along re the other shootings, but I have been in the minority......

"Dfficult to get to same places if the creek is high"
(How high/far is the creek?
Malibu Creek State Park (Calabasas) - 2018 All You Need to Know Before You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

I'm also in Southern CA, and I will guarantee that the creek is not high at this time of year. Creeks here are measured in inches most of the year and many may go completely dry at times. A creek like this would be high (and dangerous/uncrossable) for a couple of days after a major storm in January or February. Meanwhile, it hasn't rained here in many months.

Reasons:

MOO

You may be right. But:

- LE is virtually always tight-lipped about murders. Why would they reveal info about a possible serial shooter, OR about a possible targeted killing?

- Neither the Sheriff's department nor the state park officials warned anyone about the 7, random shootings in the area. IMO, there is no way in hell they would now warn the public about a possible serial shooter until they know for sure.

- In fact, in multiple cases of serial killers or killers on the loose, or missing people, in retrospect, we continually see LE making statements about "no danger to the public", or "no evidence of foul play" when someone turns up missing or dead. later we find none of that was true.

- This is an early investigation. What evidence would we expect them to find so soon that links to the other shootings? In fact, LE has not said that any of the other shootings appear linked to one another, either.

- The campgrounds remain closed to camping. Why?

That’s a good idea, but I doubt the killer would be that stupid. I’m sure LE looked into that right away.
That’s a good idea, but I doubt the killer would be that stupid. I’m sure LE looked into that right away.
You’re probably right but sometimes criminals mess up. Especially if they are younger because their prefrontal cortex isn’t completely developed. With the previous shootings mainly being over a summer or winter break, it’s possible we are looking at some sort of student.

You’re probably right but sometimes criminals mess up. Especially if they are younger because their prefrontal cortex isn’t completely developed. With the previous shootings mainly being over a summer or winter break, it’s possible we are looking at some sort of student.
I agree that it could be a student. I’m thinking either a student, or a disgruntled older white male. JMO

(
snip

*the NOCO shooter (at least the one in custody linked to one killing); a shotgun was used to kill WC, he also lived very close by. In this case there was an attempted killing/shooting on a motorcyclist just prior to killing WC. Of course there were numerous window shatterings and shots on vehicles prior, which could not be linked. 2 other victims were also killed, which could not be linked.

Correction, 2 others were shot at, one killed, one survived. Sorry)

Google maps has his site about 700 feet from the road if the park map is correct.

I’m stuck though without knowing the round by this seems to explain the physics of the different rounds.
Captcha

Can’t get a good line of sight on the computer looking at those spots and the road, lots of trees.

I zoomed in as far as I could to label the spots. Which I completely messed up the numbering. Will do a new one. One below should be correct now.

Attachments

• 0CE3FF66-B77D-411B-AFB4-A4595DEDE7B0.png
    0CE3FF66-B77D-411B-AFB4-A4595DEDE7B0.png
    192.2 KB · Views: 30
  • FD2F9130-9B98-4000-90EB-5C449A74F716.jpeg
    FD2F9130-9B98-4000-90EB-5C449A74F716.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 34
  • E8022B3A-06FF-4318-B223-F77826AA8822.jpeg
    E8022B3A-06FF-4318-B223-F77826AA8822.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Status