CA - Malibu Creek State Park Shooting, Tristan Beaudette, 35, 22 June 2018 *Arrest* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eight confirmed shootings. TB is one. Seven other dates listed below.

7 Other Unsolved Shootings Around Malibu Creek State Park Where Father Was Killed

Four of the shootings were in the California State Park jurisdiction. Those occurred on:

Nov. 3, 2016 new to first 1/4
Nov. 9, 2016 first 1/4 to full
Jan. 7, 2017 approaching new moon
July 30, 2017 approaching new moon

The other three were in the sheriff’s department jurisdiction.

June 6, 2017 new to first 1/4
July 22, 2017 full to 3/4
June 18, 2018. New to first 1/4

Hopefully this is good site for this info, added above.
Moon Phases 2018 – Lunar Calendar for Los Angeles, California, USA

(Edited to fix the last one, forgot to change year on that one)

So what percentage chance do you think exists that the shooting was personal and that Mr. Beaudette was the target? Over or under 10%? Over or under 25? More?

Explain if possible. I'm over 10 but under 25. The head shot might not be coincidental.

Who knows, right?

Are there street lights along that stretch with the curve? I’m zoomed in on google maps and seeing what may be street light shadows or may be something else.

Or lights on the bathroom/showers in the middle?

Anyone compared what phase the moon was in during that time? Did the shootings coincide with a full moon when lighting wouldn’t be needed once your eyes adjusted?

Those look like telephone poles. I;m betting the bathrooms have light, The moon phase looked to be about 3/4ths. So fairly bright.
Moon Phases 2018 – Lunar Calendar for Calabasas, California, USA

But it was cloudy at the time of the shooting (or when it was reported): Calabasas, CA History | Weather Underground

Most campgrounds I've been to are very dark, even if there's a glow fin the distance from bathrooms.

So what percentage chance do you think exists that the shooting was personal and that Mr. Beaudette was the target? Over or under 10%? Over or under 25? More?

Explain if possible. I'm over 10 but under 25. The head shot might not be coincidental.

Who knows, right?
I am over 90% for a personal hit. My first thought from day one

Who knows, right?

No clue. If personal, they would have to have a ton of info about TB and his location, precisely when, where, etc., and know the park well enough to sneak up on the site without driving in. The kids in the tent - that throws me. The logistics is what veers me away from pre-planned, targeted killing. Also, that doesn't fit the profile of any hits I've heard of. I know people have said it's perfect because there are no cameras. But when have we seen anything similar. Hits are typically at homes, in cars, people's businesses, parking garages, stuff like that. Not at night at a crowded campground.

But I don't know. It will be interesting to find out (if we do), what info LE has gathered.

Seems there are concerned locals who won't let up on it. And if answers aren't forthcoming after several months, the family and friends might start talking.

I would think if it was targeted an arrest would be more likely to be quicker than if random?

Who knows, right?
It’s hard to say. I don’t think it’s personal in a way, that someone knew he’d be camping there and took their chance to kill him. Could something have happened earlier in the day with a hiker or camper? Maybe. Could he have been the target? Sure. But I don’t think it was for any reason that happened prior to this trip. Whether or not the previous shootings are related, I think TB was just in the wrong place at the wrong time or perhaps had a run in if some sort with someone with a very dark side to them.

Still leaning towards random but I could see disgruntled coworker. Research science can be cut throat. You can contribute and get left out, the other guy gets the promotion, the other guy gets the grant money, the other guy gets the funding. I imagine it’s an angle the police are looking at. As a chemist who has been on the research side a bit I’ve seen some people get very angry.

Edited to add: Thinking about it I’ve been in meetings where research is presented and when it’s questioned take it very personally. Things can get heated.

Last edited:
Learned from watching Dateline and 48 hours.

Sorry you don't agree with me. Please let's just agree to disagree. Thank you:)

I'm not arguing. I'm seeking info. If I had something concrete, maybe I would agree. At present I'm leaning one direction based on logic, what I know and past cases. But with more info perhaps I would lean the other way. Everyone who seems to think this is targeted has few reasons why. Just cryptic posts.

I like specifics. Examples. Cases from the past for instance, that might be helpful in demonstrating how things can readily be determined. I truly don't know and I've watched dateline and 48 hours. I mean what evidence would obviously show a difference?

I am totally open.

95% for me. And I believe the killer knew TB would be camping in Malibu.
Well I hope you guys aren’t right. That takes things from someone being stupid and perhaps heated or thrill seeking to a calculated murder that was chosen to be in the presence of his children. This whole thing is messed up but the thought that someone planned and chose to murder him while laying next to his sleeping children, is a little more than I can bear.

I'm going with 99% random. Seems like a crowded campground with children & potential witnesses would scare off a targeted shooting.

If it were a targeted murder it seems a stealth operation with a quiet weapon would be chosen. Or at least a handgun with a silencer.

I believe it's random & related to prior shootings in area. A mentally disturbed individual , for sure

I don't know. This is Malibu Canyon. Calabasas. A lot of wealthy people. Again, no hunting allowed anywhere nearby. It's just not like rural areas elsewhere. It's not legal to discharge firearms in the city of Calabasas. The sound of gunshots in the dead of night would stand out in this are as opposed to places where hunting occurs or guns are more part of the way of life.

People in this region are still haunted by things like the Manson killings. I believe gun shots at night would be remembered.

Neither hunting nor firearms discharge are legal in my city, either. Doesn't stop people. My neighbor with the shotgun told me a shotgun loaded with rock salt isn't really a firearm. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

But since you live there and I don't, I'll defer to your knowledge.

Still leaning towards random but I could see disgruntled coworker. Research science can be cut throat. You can contribute and get left out, the other guy gets the promotion, the other guy gets the grant money, the other guy gets the funding. I imagine it’s an angle the police are looking at. As a chemist who has been on the research side a bit I’ve seen some people get very angry.

Hmm. That's totally true. Competition can be insane. That's one of the most plausible motives I've heard thus far. (The pharma conspiracy stuff seems silly to me).

People do go after competitors:

Researcher guns down four fellow staff members in rampage at Turkish university

What Made This University Researcher Snap?

The last link has some colorful language/. Including this:

Let’s face it, scientific and technical fields attract more than their share of socially awkward, obsessively focused oddballs. The history of science is rife with peculiar pioneers—think Einstein, Feynman. And it’s no different today: Tech companies and R&D labs all over the country don’t just tolerate idiosyncratic geniuses; they celebrate them. Why? Because their very ability to think differently, to do or be what’s unexpected, has led to tremendous success (think Gates, Jobs, Zuckerberg).

Every once in a while, though, brainy weirdos turn out to be brutal killers. It happened in 1991, when Gang Lu, a 28-year-old former graduate student in physics at the University of Iowa, killed four faculty members. He was angry that his dissertation had not been nominated for a prestigious award. It happened again in 1992, when Valery Fabrikant, a mechanical engineering professor denied tenure by Concordia University in Montreal, loaded several guns, went to campus, and opened fire, killing four colleagues.

Obviously, not all number lovers and data geeks are potential murderers, just as not all postal workers go postal. But if a scientist becomes dangerously antisocial, colleagues may be slower to notice than people in other lines of work, where eccentricities aren’t regarded as a badge of authenticity. And academia may be especially ill equipped to handle such behavior, since it is organized around protecting differences and safeguarding intellectual freedom. If you’re an academic and a scientist and you’ve gone off the deep end, in other words, you may find it just a bit easier to hide in plain sight.

Who knows, right?
I think he was intended target, no odds or bets.

I hesitate to say "personal" because I don't want to imply how well the shooter knew him or even if the shooter knew him personally (other than by sight) at all.

Are there street lights along that stretch with the curve? I’m zoomed in on google maps and seeing what may be street light shadows or may be something else.

Or lights on the bathroom/showers in the middle?

Anyone compared what phase the moon was in during that time? Did the shootings coincide with a full moon when lighting wouldn’t be needed once your eyes adjusted?

The majority of Malibu Canyon Road is illuminated at night by street lights attached to power lines. It's not pitch black, but it is pretty much deserted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynichick