Identified! CA - Mendocino Co, 2 WhtFem Teens, Jul'79 *Francine Trimble & Kerry Graham*

Wow, it's a shame they spent all those years looking for missing siblings :(

Yeah. I really wish they would do new drawings. I know the theory at first was that they were related, so the artist probably drew them to look somewhat 'similar' - whether or not that was an unconscious decision or not, I don't know.

But it would be nice to have new drawings done without that bias in place.

Yes, I agree with that even when they were thought to be siblings I was thinking that had influenced the artist and what if they weren't siblings.

has anyone checked into midwest runaways or reported missing

If you can find one, theoretically you should be able to find the other....

I agree that whoever did the drawings draws most people similarly. I wrote on the other thread on this that there was an adult male on the sheriff's site that could have been their dad (looked just like the two kids). I think it's time to do a clay bust or another drawing as well.

ETA: the thread already here is http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40071&highlight=111umca

Maybe the composites need to be redone. I wonder if they created them based on the assumption that they were brother and sister.

"It is believed they were teenage boyfriend and girlfriend from the Midwest and most likely hitchhiking to get away from their families."

I'm wondering what evidence of this they have.

Features such as eyes color, nose, size of lips and ears are the estimations of the artist to complete the image and should not be used as a significant marker for identification.

How can someone "estimate" the eye color of a skeleton when no other info than approximate age, race and hair color is known, especially if the remains are those of a Caucasian individual?

"It is believed they were teenage boyfriend and girlfriend from the Midwest and most likely hitchhiking to get away from their families."

The same as for the eye color perhaps?

at doenetwork they state that DNA was done and they are not related...

131UFCA is her case at doe...

This case has always haunted me, because I thought she could possibly be Anna Waters, but I have been told that familial DNA has been run through CODIS, and there is no matches...but I still wonder???

While California certainly has its share of Murderers and Victims, I have often wondered if this case might be related to killings by serial killers Leonard Lake and Charles Ng. Any thoughts on this?

Here is a link to another websleuths thread which discusses this case:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22420

The Lake/Ng theory always seemed reasonable to me.

Bumping for these two. This is just one of those cases that gets to me.

So now we do appear to have TWO families that did not report their children missing...how nice.

There is a missing female from Rohnert Park, Sonoma County, California that is very similar. I saw it on the Doe Network (1787DFCA), her name is Cheryl Schille Wyant (aka Cherie Larson). Similarities are: DOB: May 21, 1964 White Female, Brown hair, brown eyes. Height is a little tall at 5'8" and hair is a little darker. Missing since May 1, 1978 at the age of 14. Dates and ages are similar, just a thought. I can't find anything on the male juvenile so far.

I found these while surfing the many sites I look through. So I thought to mention them as the timeline and ages are close.
Washoe County is on the border of California and almost straight across is Mendocino County California. The Doenet states estimated time of death of the skeletonized unknown female (131UFCA) at about December 8, 1978. But we all know estimates.
I also have a male I think matches closely too. Edward Chester Nye (37DMOR) was last seen camping with a church group in Oregon when he ventured off alone to go fishing.
I think it is possible that Nye was abducted and the abductor(s) traveled down from Oregon and abducted Butler as well. If Leonard Lake and Charles Ng were involved the two could have managed two teens. Although they had most of their victims on Lake's sisters land I suppose they could have used a dump site, especially if traveling.
It is also possible that this was a dumping ground of another serial (the Green River killer had several) and the two were dumped there seperately. Or it could be a random dump site. I hope for answers as everyone else in these cases.

Case File 951DFNV

SKButler.jpg

Sandra Kaye Butler
Missing since June 26, 1978 from Sparks, Washoe County, Nevada. Age 16.

Case File 37DMOR

ENye.jpg

Edward Chester Nye
Missing since June 22, 1978 from Prospect, Jackson County, Oregon. Age 14.

So do I. I guess it could be simply because they don't match missing individuals from any western state and that heading for California was still a popular choice for runaways in the 1970's. Don't ask me why, I was 16 and living in Orange County in 1979 and i remember wondering what was so special about the place. I also remember that for runaways who did live in California to start with, Florida was the promised land. Probably because they knew that even in southern California, living on the streets in January is not a particularly warm experience. Better than a snowbank in the Midwest I would reckon though. There were a lot of homeless teens in Los Angeles, probably still are, something I've never seen elsewhere except perhaps in Miami, but on a smaller scale.

However this does not explain why the dead kids were presumed to be from the Midwest and not, say, the East Coast or Canada. Perhaps they had in their possession items that were traced back to a Midwest state?

Here is a reiteration of the Doenetwork case file information on these two still unidentified children. Note that there is a definite date stated for their estimated death. Interesting how they seem to think that they were from the Midwest, yet no reason is given for this conclusion.

-------------------------
Unidentified White Male
Located on July 8, 1979 in Mendocino County, California
Cause of death is unknown.
The estimated date of death is December 8, 1978.
Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 13 years old. Estimated year of birth is 1965.
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"
Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown hair.
Dentals: Excellent teeth. No decay, no cavities, no fillings. All adult teeth except the wisdom teeth which were still impacted.

Case History

The victim's skeletal remains were found together with the remains of an unidentified female child in the area of milepost marker 21 Highway 20, West of Willits, in Mendocino County, CA.

Originally, the two were believed to have been related, however, after forensic DNA testing it was determined they were not maternally related.

It is believed they were teenage boyfriend and girlfriend from the Midwest and most likely hitchhiking to get away from their families.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Mendocino County Sheriff's Office
800-815-3505

NCMEC #: NCMU400033

NCIC Number: U-765181075

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
California Department Of Justice
Advocate News 1/4/07
The Doe Network: Case File 111UMCA (Unidentified male)

LINK:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/111umca.html

--------------------------------------------------------

Unidentified White Female
Located on July 8, 1979 in Mendocino County, California
Cause of death is unknown.
The estimated date of death is December 8, 1978.
Skeletal Remains

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: Not over 14 years old. Estimated year of birth is 1964.
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5-1/2"
Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown hair.
Dentals: Available. Excellent teeth. All adult teeth except the wisdom teeth which were still impacted.
Clothing/Jewelry: No clothing. She was wearing the pictured hoop with a pearched-photo of bird earring (pierced-ear type).
Victim's Earring can be seen in link below.

Case History

The victim's skeletal remains were found together with the remains of an unidentified male child in the area of milepost marker 21 Highway 20, West of Willits, in Mendocino County, CA.

Originally, the two were believed to have been related, however, after forensic DNA testing it was determined they were not maternally related.

It is believed they were teenage boyfriend and girlfriend from the Midwest and most likely hitchhiking to get away from their families.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

800-815-3505

NCMEC #:NCMU400033

NCIC Number: U-765178400

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information: National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
California Department of Justice
Advocate News 1/4/07
The Doe Network: Case File 131UFCA (unidentified female)

LINK:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/131ufca.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa