CA CA/OH/LA/MS/TX - SAMUEL LITTLE, aka Samuel McDowell, 1970's thru 2012, Serial Killer

Can we go into the missing files for these states and help identify possible victims

• Total voters
I was looking at missing persons from New England for possible identities for victim #15, as I couldn't find any good options from Massachusetts prior to 1972. I came up with 2:

Lynda Joan Hanley missing from Rhode Island since 1971. Similar facial features, such as nose, eyebrows, general face shape and hair color. According to her Charley Project page, it seems that her car was found abandoned in Attleboro, MA, which could possibly connect her to victim 15, as victim 15 was "possibly from Massachusetts". However, Attleboro is in the opposite direction of Maryland and it doesn't seem that she was heading to Maryland.
Original
1117aee6-6e06-4ea4-8de2-26882ebfd1fe.jpeg

Irene LaRosa missing from Connecticut since 1971. She would be a little younger than the estimated age range, but I can't help but notice the facial similarities. Very similar noses, eyebrows, face shape, hair and eye color.
Original
1117aee6-6e06-4ea4-8de2-26882ebfd1fe.jpeg

Thoughts?

LE has tentatively connected one drawing to the following cold case. The victim is still classified as a Jane Doe.
-------------------------------------

Found May 24, 1972
White male found in Cheverly
Click on picture for more information

Dec 1, 1972
* Investigating agency: PG County Police Cold Case unit 301 772 4927
* Additional resources:
* News articles: Washington Post, 10/13/1988

Correction - Somehow a stray title got connected with my previous post. It should read:

Found December 1, 1972
White Female found in Laurel, Prince Georges County, Maryland

I think they have been adding potential victims for this guy into Namus. I have found several new missing persons cases that seem like they might be connected.

FBI’s ViCAP Seeks Information About Possible Georgia Victim of Serial Killer — FBI

Any suggestions for a potential match now that more details have been aired out? I've already contacted the Bureau with this UID: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs).

There do happen to be a couple of inconsistencies and by no means is it perfect, but the fact that:

"...this white Jane Doe was discovered on March 24, 1992, in Union City, Georgia in a rural, wooded area that is 20 minutes away from Atlanta by car. Her remains were minimal and her estimated year of death is listed as years, suggesting that she had not been touched in some time. Interestingly enough, the UID was found with a 'Mother's Ring", which does go along with what Little had testified to the victim being a mother. The victim's estimated height and age lines up perfectly with Little's description, (5'8" on the dot and 18-30 years old.)

That being said, the victim is beneath the weight limit for what Little described, but since he mentioned that she was heavy set, human fat may have been shed in the decomposition process and made it seem like she was much lighter. Another inconsistency is the panties that were found alongside her, which were a size 6, suggesting that the woman was much thinner while alive. That being said, it is possible that she was wearing smaller pairs of undergarments to accentuate her shape while working. Finally, the area in which this victim was found does not correlate with the "island" mention in the report. That being said, I am looking at an aerial view of the area as it is today, with the topography perhaps being different years ago in '83-'84."

(Copying and pasting my email content because I'm lazy to summarize, sorry not sorry.)

Thoughts, everyone?

FBI’s ViCAP Seeks Information About Possible Georgia Victim of Serial Killer — FBI

Any suggestions for a potential match now that more details have been aired out? I've already contacted the Bureau with this UID: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs).

There do happen to be a couple of inconsistencies and by no means is it perfect, but the fact that:

"...this white Jane Doe was discovered on March 24, 1992, in Union City, Georgia in a rural, wooded area that is 20 minutes away from Atlanta by car. Her remains were minimal and her estimated year of death is listed as years, suggesting that she had not been touched in some time. Interestingly enough, the UID was found with a 'Mother's Ring", which does go along with what Little had testified to the victim being a mother. The victim's estimated height and age lines up perfectly with Little's description, (5'8" on the dot and 18-30 years old.)

That being said, the victim is beneath the weight limit for what Little described, but since he mentioned that she was heavy set, human fat may have been shed in the decomposition process and made it seem like she was much lighter. Another inconsistency is the panties that were found alongside her, which were a size 6, suggesting that the woman was much thinner while alive. That being said, it is possible that she was wearing smaller pairs of undergarments to accentuate her shape while working. Finally, the area in which this victim was found does not correlate with the "island" mention in the report. That being said, I am looking at an aerial view of the area as it is today, with the topography perhaps being different years ago in '83-'84."

(Copying and pasting my email content because I'm lazy to summarize, sorry not sorry.)

Thoughts, everyone?
Does this Jane doe have protruding teeth?

Thoughts, everyone?

A few immediate thoughts:
1) 20 minutes out of Atlanta proper is close in, and would be considered " Atlanta metro area" now. It fits with an adduction from Atlanta or very near Atlanta, IMO.

2) Decomp. was likely complete, so who's giving her weight as a low weight? I'm thinking of the remarkably low weight of the motel worker listed above as a possible victim of Little's who was said to be 5'3''-5'5'' with a weight of 80-90 pounds when alive. That's extremely severe emaciation.

I'm wondering if maybe women in the 70's gave a very low weight on their Driver's License renewal or something. Or if we have a case of two families who just didn't really know what their relative weighed?
Or maybe because life on the street or drugs or being starved by an abusive husband ( as could have been the case with the other woman at least) caused the height to weight ratio to be skewed?

3) A size 6 panties are a Medium size. I do not consider them to be for either small women or overly large women. Just average. I'd think most slim to normal weight and height women would wear a size 5 or 6.
Another factor which affects the FIT of the panties are whether they are bikini or full fashioned waist high panties.
I was pregnant in the early 80's, had always worn bikini panties of very good quality, and wore my regular size 5 bikini undies throughout my pregnancy, during which my CLOTHING size other than panties went from a size 4 to a Maternity size 16.
( Needless to say, I dieted like Karen Carpenter when that kid was out). My point is that due to the fit of bikini panties, it's very possible to wear a size which fits the leg openings, which usually do vary by size, and in the bum, if the extra weight is carried in the abdomen.
Which brings up the point: Could she have been either pregnant or newly postpartum when she was killed? Extra weight can be temporary, and if Little thought she was larger, it could be due to a temporary state of weight gain due to pregnancy or shortly after pregnancy, which her DL and/ or family may not have known about.

Regarding the topography as stated: All of Georgia is subject to flooding in all seasons of the year due to the soil composition, and the prevalence of tornados, hurricane low pressure fronts stalling for days and days with very heavy rainfall, and heavy seasonal rains in general due to the properties of the state, which is humid and moist as the deep south is.

I believe he was referring to a built- up road or small area with the usual marshy land around it or at least on the parts he remembers seeing.
Sam Little would NOT go out of his way to go to an area described as an island proper, but if the road area was built up, he might have described the shoulders and exits from the road as " island like" or just " an island'.

However, there may be a mitigating factor which explains the situating of the remains a bit better.. Her mother's ring had not been disturbed. Usually this means the jewelry was not easily visible to marauders to be stolen or it's hard to access to be stolen, one or the other. There also could have been dense vegetation in the space where she was dumped, which is his pattern of disposal as I know it.

Last edited:

Thoughts, everyone?
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Possible

1) 20 minutes out of Atlanta proper is close in, and would be considered " Atlanta metro area" now. It fits with an adduction from Atlanta or very near Atlanta, IMO.

2) Decomp. was likely complete, so who's giving her weight as a low weight? I'm thinking of the remarkably low weight of the motel worker listed above as a possible victim of Little's who was said to be 5'3''-5'5'' with a weight of 80-90 pounds when alive. That's extremely severe emaciation.

I'm wondering if maybe women in the 70's gave a very low weight on their Driver's License renewal or something. Or if we have a case of two families who just didn't really know what their relative weighed?
Or maybe because life on the street or drugs or being starved by an abusive husband ( as could have been the case with the other woman at least) caused the height to weight ratio to be skewed?

3) A size 6 panties are a Medium size. I do not consider them to be for either small women or overly large women. Just average. I'd think most slim to normal weight and height women would wear a size 5 or 6.
Another factor which affects the FIT of the panties are whether they are bikini or full fashioned waist high panties.
I was pregnant in the early 80's, had always worn bikini panties of very good quality, and wore my regular size 5 bikini undies throughout my pregnancy, during which my CLOTHING size other than panties went from a size 4 to a Maternity size 16.
( Needless to say, I dieted like Karen Carpenter when that kid was out). My point is that due to the fit of bikini panties, it's very possible to wear a size which fits the legs and bum, if the extra weight is carried in the abdomen.
Which brings up the point: Could she have been either pregnant or newly postpartum when she was killed? Extra weight can be temporary, and if Little thought she was larger, it could be due to a temporary state of weight gain due to pregnancy or shortly after pregnancy, which her DL and/ or family may not have known about.

Regarding the topography as stated: All of Georgia is subject to flooding in all seasons of the year due to the soil composition, and the prevalence of tornados, hurricane low pressure fronts stalling for days and days with very heavy rainfall, and heavy seasonal rains in general due to the properties of the state, which is humid and moist as the deep south is.

I believe he was referring to a built- up road or small area with the usual marshy land around it or at least on the parts he remembers seeing.
Sam Little would NOT go out of his way to go to an area described as an island proper, but if the road area was built up, he might have described the shoulders and exits from the road as " island like" or just " an island'.

However, there may be a mitigating factor which explains the situating of the remains a bit better.. Her mother's ring had not been disturbed. Usually this means the jewelry was not easily visible to marauders to be stolen or it's hard to access to be stolen, one or the other. There also could have been dense vegetation in the space where she was dumped, which is his pattern of disposal as I know it.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

She vanished from Atlanta in 1969

I have a related question which is pretty obvious looking at his map of known victims: Why did Samuel Little prowl the entire southern US but has made NO claims of murders in the state of Alabama?

Does he have a personal connection to Alabama, perhaps in childhood? Looking at the map, does this not strike anyone else as strange? He kills all around the state but not IN the state.
I call BS on this, and think it could have a very personal meaning for him not to say " Down around Birmingham" or " Right about Dothan I found her..." etc.

( Needless to say, I dieted like Karen Carpenter when that kid was out). My point is that due to the fit of bikini panties, it's very possible to wear a size which fits the leg openings, which usually do vary by size, and in the bum, if the extra weight is carried in the abdomen.

By no means am I a professional when it comes to body decomposition and estimation of weight when it comes to approximating what is left behind from skeletal remains, but you defintely humbled me down with my suggestion. Per Little's words, he had estimated the woman to be 260 lbs and heavy set, so the UID's estimated weight of being 140 lbs is a drastic change even for what was alleged. The article did imply that her son was old enough to comprehend what message she wanted to relay to him, but that still does leave open the possibility of her having recently given birth. (I know that people do make money this way for a living, but to immediately go back to this job after giving birth? She must have been desperate for a stable income to support her child(ren?))

Also, I will out myself as being a college-aged male who has an extremely loose concept of how panties work, but then again, your pregnancy story does support the notion that she may have been top heavy as opposed to a defined bottom half. My thoughts were just that, if she was a topless dancer and wanted to really show off her body, then she would wear smaller undergarments to bring attention to her curves. They should have specified what type of panties were found, that would definitely be an indicative sign to question the case further. (Also, thank you /so/ much for that Karen Carpenter joke, that was really needed!)

For the island part, all that was included in the report was a reference to a "Big Island", but your theory of an area being island-like in a high/roadway sense makes far more sense. The ring part... it honestly is miraculous that it remained in the care of this person. It must have been secured tightly.

It is extremely odd that he hasn't alluded to any murders committed in Alabama... maybe there is a personal reason there that the public is not yet aware of?

By no means am I a professional when it comes to body decomposition and estimation of weight when it comes to approximating what is left behind from skeletal remains, but you defintely humbled me down with my suggestion. Per Little's words, he had estimated the woman to be 260 lbs and heavy set, so the UID's estimated weight of being 140 lbs is a drastic change even for what was alleged. The article did imply that her son was old enough to comprehend what message she wanted to relay to him, but that still does leave open the possibility of her having recently given birth. (I know that people do make money this way for a living, but to immediately go back to this job after giving birth? She must have been desperate for a stable income to support her child(ren?))

Also, I will out myself as being a college-aged male who has an extremely loose concept of how panties work, but then again, your pregnancy story does support the notion that she may have been top heavy as opposed to a defined bottom half. My thoughts were just that, if she was a topless dancer and wanted to really show off her body, then she would wear smaller undergarments to bring attention to her curves. They should have specified what type of panties were found, that would definitely be an indicative sign to question the case further. (Also, thank you /so/ much for that Karen Carpenter joke, that was really needed!)

For the island part, all that was included in the report was a reference to a "Big Island", but your theory of an area being island-like in a high/roadway sense makes far more sense. The ring part... it honestly is miraculous that it remained in the care of this person. It must have been secured tightly.

It is extremely odd that he hasn't alluded to any murders committed in Alabama... maybe there is a personal reason there that the public is not yet aware of?

Oh, when I post about Samuel Little's possible victimology I am definitely posting exactly what I see in my mind regarding possibilities related to the known or suspected circumstances regarding the victim.
I did not mean to in any way discount any theory or explanation you have posted or thought of. We don't know what the man has done, or to whom in probably half the unsolved murders he committed.

My theory was not based on her being an exotic dancer, but as she may have looked, and her body may have been exactly when Samuel Little abducted her or paid her to get in his car. As I understand it, a lot of men do not know what women weigh, even if they do have the person in their arms, and I think a focus on HIS statement about the weight is likely to be " off".
Next, I do believe that a topless or otherwise exotic dancer who had a weight gain, such as an unexpected pregnancy that went almost full term or ended in a birth, would explain a lot of the extra weight Little may have seen but not accurately calculated.

It's likely he didn't ever see a lot of newly postpartum women, or women in their last trimester of pregnancy, regardless of what happened to the fetus or newborn. So, he was likely to misconstrue weight going by the areas where women gain most of the pregnancy weight and then lose it- almost all is in the front, from breasts to mid abdomen.
He'd definitely see that part of her nude, and if he wasn't expecting a fuller body, he might have interpreted it as " fat" or " large".

I know this is true from things men who aren't familiar with pregnant women's bodies have said to me in my career as a nurse. I mean, one man who was thought to be a smart man said he thought he might divorce his wife ( who was about 7 months pregnant) because she was " getting too fat in her bosom and abdomen". Direct quote. I was there when he said it. She wasn't fat, she was pregnant. He simply had never seen another woman without clothing in the last trimester of pregnancy and it was extremely strange to him that his wife had " put on so much weight'. :)
Oh, and I didn't mean my Carpenter comment to be in poor taste- I literally did starve myself to the limit of what I believe is human endurance to lose weight quickly and also regain my figure through excessive exercising. I never chose to go through pregnancy again for that reason.

In 1969, abortions were illegal, and this victim likely would not be able to afford any type of abortion, so she'd give birth and adopt the child out or give it to relatives, most likely.

The obvious reason that I believe she was newly postpartum is because there is no stated fact of a fetal skeleton being found with her remains and if she was in the third trimester of pregnancy, one would see a formed skeleton and there should likely have been some fetal bones mixed with her skeleton.

The other possibility is that he's just way off on some of the women's weights due to his advanced age now. Maybe pain meds. affect his judgment or recall in the details unrelated to the face and the crime scene in general. Maybe Little didn't always pick victims by size range but by his killing desires and who was available to him, but he doesn't want to say that as it does make him look a bit less omnipresent.

I have been wondering about the lack of victims in Alabama for a few months, have been waiting, expecting to see some pop up on his maps, but no, they don't appear. I fully believe there's a compelling reason, either something about the state that's taboo to him, or an extreme fear of getting caught there, which might indicate that he had extensive prior arrests in Alabama earlier in his life. I honestly do not know what his prior records show

If I could ask him one question it would be: " Why did you drive through Alabama all over the South, but do not claim to have killed any women in the state?"
It is an anomaly which I believe is NOT being picked up in the scheme of things, and a question which likely has a very significant answer. ( This is the behavioral psych. in me talking, but I do think it's important to know why there's an absence of victims in this one state).

Well I’m just suggesting possible matches here but I think Gloria is a likely candidate for that Jane doe

Well I’m just suggesting possible matches here but I think Gloria is a likely candidate for that Jane doe

I don't discount her, because I don't think we should rule out any female who's been missing that long, but there seems to be compelling reasons to believe she left NYE party with 3 men, never to be seen again.
If that's the truth, then where or how does Little enter the picture?
Did they leave her to hitchhike somewhere. anywhere?
She and the men were likely inebriated on New Year's Eve and it being just after midnight.

The likeliest scenario is, using Occam's Razor, that all 3 men or one of the men she left with killed her, either accidentally or in the commission of sexual assault.

Do you base your suspicions that this lady is her on the fact that she had a daughter, and went missing from Atlanta?
Atlanta was the hub of the South even back then. Many women were victims of violent crimes every day.
The NAMUS victim was what I consider to be on the petite and small side, physically. Look at height, then weight.

Also, I'm not sure if Little's drawings can be a factor, but I don't see anything in her photo that looks like his drawing, IMO.
I could be wrong as I don't have a great eye for matching his drawings to NAMUS photos.

If there are other possibilities entered into NAMUS, I'd like to see more UID/ Missing photos. This was a small female, going by height. She never could be called large or heavyset or even " sturdy" by any stretch of the imagination, I don't think.
Do you disagree? Also, do you think she looks like his painting? Maybe I'm missing something but to me, the woman he's describing sounds more like a seasoned sex worker who likely was never reported missing, as is the case for so many of his victims. Living on the fringe, dying nameless. Just so tragic.

Last edited:
I missed the transgender part...I thought that could be a reason for killing them?

FBI Releases Information About Prolific Serial Killer's Atlanta Victim, Who ‘Begged Him To Give A Message To Her Son’

FEBRUARY 27, 2019

"Earlier this year, the man who may be America's deadliest serial killer created portraits of some of his alleged victims, which the FBI has released in hopes that they will lead to more identifications. Now, they are releasing information about one of his victims from Atlanta in hopes of giving the victim her name back....

This week, the Violent Criminal Apprehension Program or ViCAP, a unit of the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation, is seeking information for one of the portraits of a woman Little said he killed in Atlanta in 1983 or 1984.

“Little, who drew a sketch of the victim, described her as a white female, heavy set, about 260 lbs., and 5’8” tall, possibly wearing black tight pants,” the FBI stated in a press release. “Little stated she was approximately 28-years old and was from Griffin, Georgia, and worked as a topless dancer or prostitute in Atlanta. He said the victim had a son.”

The killer said he met the unidentified victim at a strip club. Together they drove to a "'big Island,' not far from the strip club, with roads on both sides of the island that was wooded.”

Little told police that while he was choking the woman, “she begged him to give a message to her son before he killed her.”

What that message was, and if Little even remembers it, has not been disclosed.

Little said he placed the woman in the wooded island leaving her without clothes, according to the FBI.

To date, law enforcement has not yet uncovered a missing persons reports that fit the description of this slain mother...."

FBI Releases Information About Prolific Serial Killer's Atlanta Victim, Who ‘Begged Him To Give A Message To Her Son’
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is it possible that he killed them and then studied their missing information and pictures obsessively and that is what his memory held the most, the pictures he obsessed over after killing them...

That is a good explanation for why some are in such similar poses as the missing pics. He might also be yet another sicko who took photos. Or he could have sketched them previously.

I keep looking at #15 and wondering if it could be Kathy Sue Wilcox.
kathy-sue-wilcox-199x300.jpg
3rd.jpg
B9317502253Z.1_20150614214155_000_GT9AUIT2N.1-0.jpg

Wow good eye JustCryssy!! really good!! Down to how he drew the shape of her eyes and the shadow above each Eye match her photo. And her large mouth and shadows under her chin. I totally believe he copies photos and modified Them. I love your match! Also mentions her eyes are green and he drew them green.

I have to get on here and post the all the ones I found already that I believe are matches. I also believe he even takes 2 photos if the person has 2 photos and works from the other photos.

I don't care how photographic this clowns memory is I swear he is copying photos and modifying Them. Great Job Cryssy!

Is it possible that he killed them and then studied their missing information and pictures obsessively and that is what his memory held the most, the pictures he obsessed over after killing them...

I had not even thought of that one Wild Rose. I think your on to something! I can totally see it because since the moment I saw the drawings released I said this guy is copying photographs. I have been saying it all through this thread and will continue to say it. Especially because they end up being posed too much like photographs.

Also the example I put of that woman Denise B there is no way that is from memory and the drawing and everything including positioning just happens to match her photo?o_O
I think he is doing this for attention and so people can Admire his

I also don't think the stories he says or dates necessarily match his all his drawings either.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheyenne1060
Back