CA CA - San Dimas, Wht/HispMale 871UMCA, 4-8, buried in San Gabriel Mtns, Oct'79

@MadMcGoo @coffeeandacig @Melt71
Thanks so much to each of you for replying! I get so tongue-tied on these boards that I often hesitate to post my theories or hunches. I get to feeling as though you all will think I'm utterly stupid for making some of these suggestions:oops:, but then there's the feeling in my gut that pushes me to pursue a potential match, especially when there are so many uncertainties in the information we have to work with.:confused: This is one of those cases. :) Then there's the whole idea that we don't want to bombard LE with PM submissions that really aren't worthy of a comparison. So trying to keep the balance is always at the front of my mind. I don't want NamUs or anyone else to see my email addy only to say :eek: "Oh, goodness, it's her again. I'm not even opening the mail." :p:D

I will contact authorities on both Billy and JD's case. @Melt71 is right...maybe it will encourage them to give these cases another look and more resources. Thanks again, and of course, I'll update the thread as warranted. ;)
Hahaha! I know the feeling of hesitation and uncertainty, trust me. I always feel completely out of my league amongst all these professionals here! I often roll my eyes at my own posts afterwards, so I can imagine what others must think. :D:p But it’s not about us, it’s about all these people that need our help. And they need it desperately. So, I think all of our thoughts and theories are invaluable! Even if one idea sparks another and another and it snowballs into a resolution, that’s amazing! And I’ve seen it happen. So we must keep on keeping on.

Like you said, there are too many uncertainties and mistakes or human errors when it comes to these things, we can’t afford not to broaden our ways of thinking sometimes. I mean, we’ve seen unidentified black women turn out to be missing young white girls. And middle-aged men who probably died in a cave in the 70s turn out to be outlaws who were dead barely after the turn of the century. Ya know, who’da thunk those things?!

You never know, we might think we are bombarding an agency with “worthless” submissions, but for all we know they’ve not thought about the case in 20 years. Or they’ve never heard about about it at all. So, yes, let’s not be afraid of people seeing our names and thinking “Oh lord, here we go again :rolleyes: ”. It really does mean we care. And I know we all do in our own ways. Thank you all for what you do!

And of course, keep us updated! :)

Just ran across this child while looking at recently-updated NamUs profiles.

@YaYa_521 I trust your instincts whether to pursue Billy as a possible match.

Just doing some math on the little John Doe, because his stats are so low.

If Namus' stats are correct, 3' 8" tall and 27 lbs would mean that this child was literally starving for food.
Doe Network's stats are a little better, with anything under 38 lbs being underweight.

I get the feeling that this little John Doe was very frail prior to death. :(

This reminds me of the conversation we were having in this thread about a child Jane Doe whose stats also made her seem extremely underweight. I believe weights should be taken with a grain of salt, especially with older remains. Estimates can be off, and in this case NamUs says the 27 lbs is his "measured" weight so it is probably the actual weight of the decomposed body.

@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for this John Doe? I would greatly appreciate it.

Bumping.

What do we think of Michael Montelongo, who would be 7 at the time this poor boy was found, as a possible match? He’s from TX but I still wouldn’t rule him out. Can’t quite gauge a good image on him for comparison the one on NamUs is quite fuzzy

Surely there are missing children who have been formally looked at for this case, and I wish NamUs listed them.

@EmiliaRT007 I think MM is possible. Although he went missing from Texas, this little Doe was found not very far from a road, so someone could have driven him there from anywhere. JMO.
I agree. This little boy could have been from anywhere.

871UMCA - Unidentified Male

Reconstructions by NCMEC and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Office.

Date of Discovery: October 2, 1979
Location of Discovery: San Dimas, Los Angeles County, California
Estimated Date of Death: 2 weeks prior
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Partial remains with soft tissues
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 3-8 years old
Race: Hispanic
Sex: Male
Height: 3'8"
Weight: 35 to 45 lbs.
Hair: Dark brown or black, about 1" long.
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. No restorations.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Not available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The child's remains were located in a shallow grave along Glendora Mountain Road, which runs through the San Gabriel Mountains in San Dimas, California.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Los Angeles County Coroner
Agency Contact Person: Betsy Magdaleno
Agency Phone Number: 323-343-0512
Agency E-Mail: idunit(at)coroner.lacounty.gov
Agency Case Number: 1979-12324

Agency Name: Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
Agency Contact Person: N/A
Agency Phone Number: 323-890-5500
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: 079-06043-0851-011

NCIC Case Number: U970018160