Identified! CA - San Mateo Co, WhtMale 773UMCA, 19-25, female clothing, Nov'83 *name withheld*

Earlier this year, DNA Doe Project genealogists tentatively made the first ID in a Trans Doe Task Force case called Pillar Point Doe. The victim, who was found stabbed and strangled in Half Moon Bay, California, in 1983, was originally identified as a male in women’s clothing. The sheriff’s office has not announced the person’s identity publicly yet, and Lee Redgrave said the group would wait for the sheriff’s investigation to wrap up before digging further into Pillar Point Doe’s identity as potentially trans, to avoid affecting the official police work.

Sleuths Are Haunted by the Cold Case of Julie Doe

Waiting waiting waiting. In the interim I immediately thought of this recon when I saw the new Namus case today for Robby Lynn Peay missing from UT since 1982 when he ran away from a juvenile treatment centre. www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/64059
Very good candidate, IMO. I have been looking for more pictures, but so far to no avail. Will keep looking!

Waiting waiting waiting. In the interim I immediately thought of this recon when I saw the new Namus case today for Robby Lynn Peay missing from UT since 1982 when he ran away from a juvenile treatment centre. www.namus.gov/MissingPersons/Case#/64059

I agree that the resemblance is very strong between the two. The only discrepancies are the one-year age difference and the eye colors (listed as blue for MP and hazel for UP). But I've seen some identifications where the coloration was off.

I googled the name "Robby Lynn Peay" and found a very brief obituary here. This implies the recovery of a body, to me. The date of birth in the obit is the same as the one listed on the Utah's Cold Cases page.

Anyway, I believe I saw something from the DDP stating the identity of Pillar Point Doe was being withheld pending an inquiry of their preferred name and if they were indeed a trans woman.

Last edited:
I don't think that's even a real obituary. It looks like some kind of aggregator site. But it wouldn't have to mean a body was recovered anyway--sometimes families do put up obituaries for missing people who are presumed or have been declared dead.

I'm glad they're trying to make sure they have the name and identity right.

I found a couple of newspaper articles relating to Robby Peay's escape and disappearance, but maybe they would best be posted in a missing thread for him versus this one. His mother has never heard from him, including on his 18th birthday, on which he would have received an inheritance. Per one article, at the time, juvenile offenders were not fingerprinted, which limited their ability to match him with anyone. They did not discuss the implications for DNA, but Robby was adopted, although his mother mentions a half brother, so it could be possible that they now have DNA for him from some biological family member. Identifiers for Robby include scarring to the back from crawling through a broken window. His mother said that he had used the name Bobbert Casper in Colorado, during a previous runaway, and would support himself doing labor jobs like roofing. One article from 1990 says that she learned he was in Colorado using that name in 1984, but then also states that she and his friends haven't heard from him since the 1982 date. She believes that he is dead.

What interests me about Robby Peay is that he is from Salt Lake City (possibly his bio family is from elsewhere), and Pillar Point Doe has Utah pioneer ancestry. What doesn't work for me is that I don't see why they would put Robby in NamUs if he's already been matched to this Doe.

Robby Lynn Peay 1 - Newspapers.com
Robby Peay 2 - Newspapers.com
Robby Peay 3 - Newspapers.com

What interests me about Robby Peay is that he is from Salt Lake City (possibly his bio family is from elsewhere), and Pillar Point Doe has Utah pioneer ancestry. What doesn't work for me is that I don't see why they would put Robby in NamUs if he's already been matched to this Doe.

Snipped by me

Normal procedure is that they keep moving all investigative channels until there's a formal identification and closure. That way if the big lead turns out to be a dead end, they haven't lost time on other leads. And this way he's being compared to new cases, as well.

Is there any possibility that this unidentified individual is Robert Keck?
There are some differences including height and hair colour, but considering Robert Keck disappeared at sixteen it's possible that he could continue to grow. The hair colour is not strikingly different to my untrained eye. Additionally, I am not extremely familiar with the case so it's entirely possible that I'm missing an obvious reason that this cannot be a match or that I've missed it having been ruled out.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back