CA CA - Sandra Hughes, 53, Sierra National Forest/Madera Co, 26 Jun 2020

If she has been sighted, has anyone reported speaking to her? Does she not want to be found or "rescued?" I'm hopeful that a search might be able to locate her based on sightings, simply, if for no other reason, to make sure she's all right. JMO
No one has reported speaking with her. The only person who can answer that question of if she wants to be found is Sandy. The events leading up to her disappeance do not indicate she was planning an extended hike. The abandoned campsite and crash are red flags that something is off. In my mind, She may not know she needs rescued. That's my opinion.
I doubt there is any way they know what inventory she had or if or what she had with her.
Until she makes contact with LE. She's considered missing.

I'm not sure how well that sighting can be counted on, as she's not a very unique looking person, I think seeing someone looking similar to her from a distance and then realizing LATER that she looked similar to the missing person could just be a mistake moo
I obviously hope this sighting is true as it mean she would likely still be alive and mostly well, as they said the woman did not seem in distress. fingers crossed!

I'm not sure how well that sighting can be counted on, as she's not a very unique looking person, I think seeing someone looking similar to her from a distance and then realizing LATER that she looked similar to the missing person could just be a mistake moo
I obviously hope this sighting is true as it mean she would likely still be alive and mostly well, as they said the woman did not seem in distress. fingers crossed!

To piggyback off of what @Dre stated, I questioned the possibility whether it was Sandra the hunters saw. I hope it was her, but what makes me question it is:
•it’s been a while seen she went missing and for that length of time food & water is needed. That’s not to say she doesn’t have those things at a camp somewhere.
But...if she is relying on others to provide it for her, I feel it’s unlikely (not impossible!). I say that because it’s been stated a few times that Sandra didn’t want help or even whether if she knew she needed help, it appears she’s not in the ideal physical or mental shape considering the circumstances...IMO, someone behaving in this way isn’t going to chat other campers/hikers up, ask for supplies etc. We know she’s not driving her car somewhere to refresh supplies.
This is just ideas/thoughts/possibilities...I pray it was Sandra they encountered. I pray she gets help or lets LE know she’s ok.

Until she is found. Nothing is certain. I hope Sandy can tell her own story.

I know it’s been said she’s a survivalist and can basically live off the grid. What bothers me is that all her tools to do so have been left behind. Shoes for one thing, if it was her the hiker saw.

There is plenty of water around there, and she can build a fire and make a shelter from wood in the area if she has a machete. And she can find something to eat, berries or plants. I doubt she could have protein.

She could survive out there if she wanted to and stay off the grid but why would she abandon both her campsite and car, which would make her “quarantine” easier. JMO

I read in the comments on the Facebook link that the reports of her and what she was wearing has changed several times. If this is actually Sandra, as others have mentioned, I wonder how she has changed outfits. If she went back to her supplies, surely someone would have noticed? I too hope it’s her, but I’m not quite sure.

I read in the comments on the Facebook link that the reports of her and what she was wearing has changed several times. If this is actually Sandra, as others have mentioned, I wonder how she has changed outfits. If she went back to her supplies, surely someone would have noticed? I too hope it’s her, but I’m not quite sure.
As far as I know, only reports from 2 eye witnesses reported different clothing.
No reports of her returning to her car.

As far as I know, only reports from 2 eye witnesses reported different clothing.
Have any of her family and/or friends been up there lately searching for her? She’s been up there during the summer but the weather will start changing in the coming weeks. She needs to be found soon.

Have any of her family and/or friends been up there lately searching for her? She’s been up there during the summer but the weather will start changing in the coming weeks. She needs to be found soon.
Not to my knowledge. No. No one who knows her has been there.

do you happen to know how many witnesses have reported seeing her? I’m sure it is possible that 1 witness either incorrectly reported what she was wearing or possibly the sighting wasn’t her. Our memories are definitely fallible. I’m really worried for her. I know it had been reported that she is knowledgeable enough to survive out there alone however it’s been so long and as another poster mentioned, the weather is going to be turning here soon.

do you happen to know how many witnesses have reported seeing her? I’m sure it is possible that 1 witness either incorrectly reported what she was wearing or possibly the sighting wasn’t her. Our memories are definitely fallible. I’m really worried for her. I know it had been reported that she is knowledgeable enough to survive out there alone however it’s been so long and as another poster mentioned, the weather is going to be turning here soon.

I've also been wondering whether it was her. I'd hoped it was, because that would mean she was alive then and might be found soon. But apparently she hasn't been seen since.

I gather that there are some brush fires not far from that area. The Creek Fire, which has grown to 45,000 acres, is south of the area where Sandra's car was found and where she was allegedly seen. While I don't think there are evacuation orders yet for either of those places, nearby areas are being evacuated. Also, the air quality is bad.
Creek Fire Information - InciWeb the Incident Information System

(There are a couple of much smaller fires up in Yosemite to the northeast, but those seem to be less of an issue.)

If she's still up there, I hope the fire threat and poor air quality leads her to make her way to more populated areas where she can be seen and found.

JMO

Last edited:
It's burning like crazy up there...Shaver, the Creek Fire, Mammoth area. People are being evacuated.
If, she's up there, I hope she can find some shelter...or has already left.

They were telling people yesterday if they werent able to get out, or find shelter...just to jump in the water if need be.

Our air is so bad right now...

It's burning like crazy up there...Shaver, the Creek Fire, Mammoth area. People are being evacuated.
If, she's up there, I hope she can find some shelter...or has already left.

They were telling people yesterday if they werent able to get out, or find shelter...just to jump in the water if need be.

Our air is so bad right now...

Wow I can’t even imagine...I hope she is ok and whether she is disoriented or not, I really hope she comes across someone who has the intuition to help her.

I've also been wondering whether it was her. I'd hoped it was, because that would mean she was alive then and might be found soon. But apparently she hasn't been seen since.

I gather that there are some brush fires not far from that area. The Creek Fire, which has grown to 45,000 acres, is south of the area where Sandra's car was found and where she was allegedly seen. While I don't think there are evacuation orders yet for either of those places, nearby areas are being evacuated. Also, the air quality is bad.
Creek Fire Information - InciWeb the Incident Information System

(There are a couple of much smaller fires up in Yosemite to the northeast, but those seem to be less of an issue.)

If she's still up there, I hope the fire threat and poor air quality leads her to make her way to more populated areas where she can be seen and found.

JMO
Me too

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa