Found Alive CA - Sherri Papini, 34, Redding, 2 November 2016 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
And for me. This whole case has been a lesson and one I'll most definitely take forward.

Feeling emotional tonight and only filled with remorse; the best teacher in life.

There's no shame in learning from this. We all learn a little something from every case we follow. I probably was able to keep a lot of doubts and questions in check because I have learned from other previous strange cases. AH especially. Some cases you learn a little, some teach you A LOT.

If you're tired from the all the standing by's, hop on I'll give you a piggyback :D

The part abt chopping off her hair, quickly made me think a female was involved in that.
imo, females usually fight like that, tugging, pulling on hair when they fight. And in this extreme case
chopping off of her hair..

Yes, it is an elected position.

I hope the constituency remembers this.

This whole attitude of "I know something you don't know, and it makes me skeptical of her story" attitude is repugnant. Unless he has something to back it up.

We shall see, I guess.

Originally Posted by bhh77
I'm trying to get caught up here so pardon me if this has already been mentioned but KP did not say the abductors chopped off her hair. If she had injuries to her head it is very likely that the hospital staff cut her hair to evaluate and treat her injuries. I would IMO find it weird if they did not cut it off to be able to clean her up. In a situation like this they would have to be concerned about infection and would want to clean her wounds. I obviously can't guarantee this is what happened but seems very likely IMO.
Highly unlikely.

As another nurse has mentioned on the last thread, I have never seen a patient in the ER have their hair cut either. Perhaps shave an area for sutures, but not cut it. And, I have seen some matted, dirty, knotty hair in my days in the ER. It just isn't something I've seen done by ER staff. The way the word 'chopped' was used by the husband, leads me to believe it was done by her captors as another way to emotionally torture and shame her.
BBM

Thank you, Dockins. (That other nurse was me). It's always been my understanding that cutting the hair was not permissible. Unless hair has been burned into or impacted into a wound; or like we said, a small amount is shaved for suturing (even that is not always done these days); hair isn't to be removed.

bhh77 - The ER could evaluate and treat her without cutting her hair. There would be no need for that. The scalp can be palpated even if the hair is matted. If bones need to be assessed, we use imaging.

I hope I am not getting myself in trouble here but IMO having worked cases in Shasta County Bosenco is not the best at dealing with the public. This tends to somehow often end up in victim blaming. IMO it was rampant in the Ember Graham case. I think that this could have been handled much differently. My concern is that he tends to somehow turn the public against the victim and then everyone spends their time and energy looking the wrong direction. This of course is just my opinion, what do I know.

Without having had any previous knowledge about Shasta County LE, I came to the same conclusion a few days ago. So many questions about why LE/the Sheriff said this or didn't say that: while some of them could easily be explained by the simple fact that LE is never going to release every single detail (and neither are we entitled to it,) the person that has felt most "off" to me all along was the Sheriff. I was thinking he might not have had a whole lot of experience dealing with the media in truly high-profile cases, and had been acting sort of amateur-ish.
Please don't take what I say as LE bashing in any way (I'm pro-LE to the end,) it's seemed to me more like some sort of "communication inexperience."
Of course, this is an uncommon case, through and through, so I could accept it that he just simply didn't always know what to say and how to say it.

JMO

I'm going to need to take a break from this thread. I don't think I can stand to read anymore comments from people who are STILL doubting this story. I just want to say to those who thought this was a Hoax and have now admitted they were wrong: Thank you for being big enough to admit you were mistaken. I was mistaken too as I thought SP was abducted and likely dead. Thank God I was wrong and she is alive! Those who continue to pile on the accusations on an obvious VICTIM and her family should be ashamed. Mods, you have my utmost respect. I hope nothing in this post is out of line or needs snipping. I just can't take this thread anymore. :mad::(:sick:

Thanks for posting this Gardener1850. I couldn't agree more.

The part abt chopping off her hair, quickly made me think a female was involved in that.
imo, females usually fight like that, tugging, pulling on hair when they fight. And in this extreme case
chopping off of her hair..

:( This is a pretty sexist generalization.

I hope I am not getting myself in trouble here but IMO having worked cases in Shasta County Bosenco is not the best at dealing with the public. This tends to somehow often end up in victim blaming. IMO it was rampant in the Ember Graham case. I think that this could have been handled much differently. My concern is that he tends to somehow turn the public against the victim and then everyone spends their time and energy looking the wrong direction. This of course is just my opinion, what do I know.

I know we have a rule against bashing LE here, so let it be clear I am not "bashing" them; however, I too have noticed that many law enforcement agencies are simply not that good at dealing with the public and the public's perception of a case. I am sure that they are good at gathering evidence, etc., but these days, with the internet being a such a huge part of finding missing people, LE really needs to step up their game when it comes to their relationship with the public in these cases. It matters. Some departments do a really good job of this and some do a really poor job. I think a lot of cops are simply not the kind of people who are good at "public relations" so to speak and that is fine, but then there needs to be someone working with law enforcement who is.

And really, LE needs to use their words a lot better. They need to come out and just freaking say stuff already! I am not saying that they should leak info that would hinder the investigation, but for example don't say, "we are looking for two hispanic women in a dark SUV." Instead say, "The victim in this case has gone through a horrible ordeal. This is not a hoax and we have every reason to believe she was abducted. Due to the severe trauma she experienced, she was not able to give us a lot of information the day we found her. We have been advised by experts who deal with trauma to give her a day or two to adjust before we question her again. The only information she was able to convey is that there were two hispanic women in a dark SUV who dropped her off. I am sure there will be more information in the coming days. Please be patient."

:( This is a pretty sexist generalization.

I do not think it is. I think that women are more likely than men to understand how humiliating it would be for a woman to have her hair chopped off.

I reserved saying anything until I heard some of the facts of the case. I am so glad she is home! Shame on LE for making it sound like it might be a made up story. I will always believe in what the victim has to say until I am given facts otherwise. I'm just glad she is home now.

I really don't think this is a sex trafficking crime. She doesn't fit the demographic and she is really too old to actually be targeted for ST imo.

Sex trafficking doesn't make any sense to me either. It's a business, and bringing tons of publicity and law enforcement heat to your operation just plain doesn't make good business sense - and I think any trafficker would realize these things would happen after snatching a pretty blonde mom of two off the street while jogging.

The sheriff sounds like they still have no clue what the motive was. If Sherri was with them for 3 weeks and they branded and beat her, I can't imagine they didn't communicate once why they took her. I have a feeling the family may have a better idea than LE.

If Sherri had a bag over her head, this was probably what she was using to flag down the cars.

I would still like to know conclusively if she was released or if she escaped. I think this difference would help with discussing motive IMO.

I'm going to need to take a break from this thread. I don't think I can stand to read anymore comments from people who are STILL doubting this story. I just want to say to those who thought this was a Hoax and have now admitted they were wrong: Thank you for being big enough to admit you were mistaken. I was mistaken too as I thought SP was abducted and likely dead. Thank God I was wrong and she is alive! Those who continue to pile on the accusations on an obvious VICTIM and her family should be ashamed. Mods, you have my utmost respect. I hope nothing in this post is out of line or needs snipping. I just can't take this thread anymore. :mad::(:sick:

I hope this isn't in response to my hair length post. I know very little about this case. I just noticed an odd inconsistency and brought it here to get input. I (hopefully) never engage in victim blaming.

If he would have said nothing, or "she had injuries", people would still not be happy with the information. Now he tells what she has gone through, and there is still speculation. I don't know what I'd do in this type of situation. Like I said before....too much info isn't good enough for some ppl and neither is too little. Hmmm...:thinking:

This, exactly.
If he says too little, that's not good enough.
If he says a lot, that's not good enough.
Poor guy can never say "just enough."

It is just strange to me that we keep going back to "what I would do," and if someone doesn't do just that, then it's some sort of major red flag. That started from why he used the Find My Phone app, and it is still happening with his statement.
I will be the first to admit that I have no bleeping idea what the actual bleep I would do, and I hope to God I will never have to find out.

JMO

I do not think it is. I think that women are more likely that men to understand how humiliating it would be for a woman to have her hair chopped off.

I'm referring to "females usually fight like that"

Sigh. I'm very happy that this story ends with Sherri alive! There is no doubt in my mind that during her time away she has suffered badly.

Things I'm still mulling: could the sheriff have held back explaining Sherri's injuries because they are trying to rule out self infliction?

Also, if and when self infliction is ruled out (I hope), I think they need to look at this as a hate crime, or a personal vendetta against her or her family.

I'm not ready to hate on LE yet. They know more than we do, always. And I did find the "signature long hair" comment to be a bit odd. Im not victim blaming on the Papini's. I'm just trying to make sense of what we've got with the walnut I call a brain. So, JMO, IMO, MOO. And thank God she's home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

He added that the bridge of her nose was broken and her signature blonde hair had been chopped off. (http://abcnews.go.com/US/sheriff-co...ls-sherri-papinis-condition/story?id=43840556)

I don't know much about this case yet, but why would the driver say she has long blond hair, but husband says it was chopped off? Anyone know?

rsbbm

Several people have given their opinions on this, and here's mine - I highly doubt Sherri's abductors/captors took her to a salon for a nice, even trim. Cutting her hair was, considering the rest of the circumstances, IMO clearly meant as an insult or punishment to Sherri. It's very possible they just lopped off handfuls here and there, and she had long strands left in between the chopped up parts.

There are quite a few possibilities where the eyewitness report and Keith's statements can both be true. When there are several such possibilities, I personally do not see any reason to doubt the statements being made by people involved in the case (not saying that's what you're doing, RSC).

All my opinion only.

I'm referring to "females usually fight like that"

Oh they do. I have seen some girl fights, and there is a lot of hair-pulling. After seeing that, I could definitely see a woman associating cutting off hair with female on female violence.

I expect after the much longer interview with Sherri , plus any DNA on her clothing , LE has a much better picture of things.
They have revealed very little information to date so i have no expectations that they will be forthcoming now
And for the record, my earlier opinions were based on more than Le statements or lack there of
It has been a weird combination of so many weird things presented in weird ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members