GUILTY CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000

One of Robert Durst’s oldest friends testified Wednesday that the New York real estate scion told her he was in Los Angeles around the time his best friend Susan Berman was killed.

Placing Durst in the area has been a key challenge for the prosecution, and Emily Altman’s testimony marks the first time that someone has said Durst was in the area around the time Berman was shot at her Benedict Canyon home in December 2000.

Altman told a Los Angeles court that said she believes Durst was staying at the Beverly Hilton hotel at the time of the killing.

Read more at .... http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-robert-durst-murder-case-20170726-story.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4834088/Testimony-heard-court-Robert-Durst-case.html

Well if anybody would know the truth about what happened to Kathy, it would be Susan. she was his confidant.

Think about it... the beautiful wife of a very rich heir to a fortune of a high profile family disappears and the family does nothing? They didn't think she could have been kidnapped...held for ransom...no concern whatsoever for their dear brother's missing wife...no attempt to find her...nothing? Why? That's messed up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4834088/Testimony-heard-court-Robert-Durst-case.html

Well if anybody would know the truth about what happened to Kathy, it would be Susan. she was his confidant.

Think about it... the beautiful wife of a very rich heir to a fortune of a high profile family disappears and the family does nothing? They didn't think she could have been kidnapped...held for ransom...no concern whatsoever for their dear brother's missing wife...no attempt to find her...nothing? Why? That's messed up.
Durst's own family was afraid of him. IMO, everyone knew what happened to Kathy but were afraid to say because people who "knew things" tended to end up dead. Like Susie Berman.

Indy Anna, It makes me wonder what 'really' happened to Mrs. Durst. When asked on 'The Jinx' why his brother took out a restraining order on him, BD replied "Because he's a Pu**y!" The whole family is weird. I wonder if Kathy was his first victim. I've heard it said that 'killing is easy after the first'. IMO he has killed more than Kathy, Morris Black and Susan Berman.

April 15 2018
http://dailysentinel.com/news/entertainment/article_fab0953e-c8c8-5bab-983e-2c4ca51d5fb1.html
[h=1]DA to air more evidence in eccentric heir's murder case[/h]
LOS ANGELES (AP) — It's been more than three years since the arrest of eccentric New York real estate heir Robert Durst in the execution-style shooting of his best friend years earlier in Los Angeles.

Prosecutors could move closer to bringing him to trial if they can show probable cause at a hearing that begins Monday that Durst killed Susan Berman in order to silence her from revealing what she knew about the death of the multimillionaire's first wife.

One of his closest buddies, Nathan "Nick" Chavin, who was also close with Berman, testified Durst essentially admitted killing her, saying: "It was her or me, I had no choice."

Chavin and other friends of Berman said she told them Durst had killed his first wife, Kathleen, who disappeared in 1982 in suburban New York and has never been found.

Berman, a writer and daughter of a Las Vegas mobster, said she helped Durst cover his tracks and told one friend that if anything ever happened to her, Durst would be the culprit.
rbbm.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-durst-murder-case-kathleen-20180416-story.html
A preliminary hearing to determine whether Durst will stand trial in Berman's slaying is scheduled to begin Monday. Berman, an author and longtime confidant, was found dead in her Benedict Canyon home on Christmas Eve in 2000. Durst, 75, has denied killing either woman.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/16/us/robert-durst-berman-court-hearing/index.html
in video on page, Durst says he was on meth the whole time he did the HBO show, The Jinx.
Durst, 75, faces one count of first-degree murder in the December 2000 killing. He is scheduled to appear at a preliminary hearing in the Los Angeles Airport Courthouse.

https://twitter.com/WildAboutTrial

[FONT=&quot]We are covering the [/FONT]#RobertDurst[FONT=&quot] trial. Prelims are under way now. Robert Durst is present, looking extremely old and feeble. Several members of his defense team are wearing purple, it isn’t clear why at this time.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Judge Mark E. Windham in department 83 at the LAX courthouse in Los Angeles. Evidentiary issues will continue at 1:30. But we’ll have witness testimony before then.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The first witness in the [/FONT]#RobertDurst[FONT=&quot] prelim is Carl Matthews.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Carl was a criminalist for LAPD in their scientific investigation division from 1998 to 2005.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Carl is testifying that he found no epithelial cells and therefore no DNA on an envelope sent to LAPD in late 2000 and analyzed in January 2001.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Letter addressed to: “Beverley Hills Police” (spelled incorrectly).

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]New testimony: according to property manager of the building [/FONT]#RobertDurst[FONT=&quot] lived in with his wife Kathy, that a doorman informed her that Durst used bicycles of other tenants without their permission and didn’t always return them. The relevance of this testimony is unclear.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kathy Durst called her property manager and told her that she was looking for a new apartment in her building because she was afraid of [/FONT]#RobertDurst[FONT=&quot] and wanted to get away from him.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Property manager says days after Kathy Durst’s disappearance the building’s trash compactor was jammed/broken by personal belongings including clothes and books, some with Kathy Durst’s name on them.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DA: “How sure are you that the items clogging the trash compactor were Kathy Durst’s?” Answer: “100%”

[/FONT]
#RobertDurst[FONT=&quot] also wrote a letter at this time to the property manager shortly after Kathy Durst’s disappearance requesting that he be allowed to sublease the apartment. This request was denied, Durst left, and the apartment was rented to a separate person.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]She always expected investigators to come speak with her, and they never did. Her then boyfriend now husband advised her not to come forward, and she didn’t think the police were interested in listening to her.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Two short questions on cross shot the missing bicycles. Nothing of note. And that quickly ends her testimony.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Next witness: Chief Forensic Pathologist for Riverside County.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Chief Medical Examiner and Coroner, Chief Forensic Pathologist, for Los Angeles County, 2013-2016

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Prosecutors certifying their witness as an expert in gun shot wounds. He seems quite qualified.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Witness: “An autopsy is an external examination, followed by an internal examination, to try and determine cause of death. Biological samples are also taken.“

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dr. Selser performed the initial autopsy. She worked under the witness briefly for a month or two before she retired. She was a licensed and certified forensic pathologist.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Autopsy on Susan Berman was performed on December 26, 2000.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Body was refrigerated between December 24 when Susan Berman was shot, and 8:30am on December 26 when the autopsy was performed.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We are shown a photo of Berman’s face after her death. Quite graphic. And then a full body photo of her naked body from the back, showing clearly a gunshot would to the back of her head and rigamortis setting in. Wound is about 2”, entrance wound. No exit wound.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bullet was recovered from the brain itself. Splitting of the skin around the wound, “gas effect”, means the gun was fired from very near proximity to the skull or in contact with the skull.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cause of death: “Gunshot wound to the head. No doubt.” Chief Medical Examiner discussing autopsy of Susan Berman.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Chief Medical Examiner: “Straight on shot to the head. No angle up or down.” But not sure if Susan Berman was standing or kneeling.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cross examination underway of the prosecution’s medical examiner expert. Defense attorney Dick DeGuerin detailing the timeline between when the body was found and the time of the autopsy.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Lead prosecutor John Lewin and Lead Defense attorney Dick DeGuerin sparring over objections. It’s a heavyweight battle of attorneys in here.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Chief Medical Examiner is excused. Who will be next?? Stay tuned.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After much legal argument over what is necessary to prove at the preliminary hearing, Judge adjourns for the day. Resuming testimony at 10am tomorrow morning.[/FONT]

Good report about yesterday here

https://wildabouttrial.com/featured/robert-durst-faces-photos-of-slain-friend-in-life-in-death/

Judge Mark Windham threw both sides a curve when he said he was inclined to allow the testimony because he didn’t think it was hearsay. He said they could be characterized as statements Susan Berman would have made as a witness if she had been alive.

After several minutes of arguments by defense and prosecution, Windham put off a ruling until the hearing resumes Tuesday.

Dr. Mark Fajardo, now chief forensic pathologist in Riverside County, said Berman was shot by a gun within an inch of her head. The evidence indicated the shooter was behind her, Fajardo said.

#RobertDurst[FONT=&quot] prelim is underway: Day 2. Before we get to witness testimony, DA John Lewin is making a lengthy argument to admit hearsay evidence by stating he has already proven his case beyond a reasonable doubt.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DA John Lewin: My cards are up and we have 4 aces. And for purposes of Prelim it’s like you’re saying you don’t know if we have 4 aces. But we clearly do.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The prosecution’s first witness today is the officer that first arrived at Susan Berman’s house to find her body. We are being shown many crime scene photos showing her deceased body on the floor.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Officer testifying there was no sign of a struggle in Susan Berman’s house where her body was found. No evidence of a burglary or robbery.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cross examination is underway of first responding officer on scene at Susan Berman’s house.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On cross we see a crime scene photo that shows a telephone with the cord unplugged next to Susan’s Berman’s body. Evidence of a burglary? We heard in direct that there was no evidence of a struggle or a burglary. No broken glass, signed of forced entry, etc.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Also, a paper was slipped under the door that read: “Lulu Found 12/23/2000 Call: 310-274-**”We’re not sure if this number was called by detectives. Is it just a found/lost pet flyer? Or something more?

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Witness excused. Next witness is Daniel Goldberg. He met her in NY in the 70s. He had a PR firm and she was a journalist. They became friends, and remained so until she died.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Goldberg: Susan could be tightly wound but she was a good friend. She had phobias and was scared of going over bridges.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Susan told him Bobby Durst was like a brother to her

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Goldberg testimony: Susan told him that Bob Durst was worried the murder investigation into Kathy Durst’s disappearance would be reopened.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A previous statement by Goldberg is played in which Susan Berman told him, “the gist of which” is that she is a gangster’s daughter, has different standards for her friends, and that she believes Durst killed her.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]However, significantly, Goldberg today says he remembers the conversation differently. He remembers today the “gangsters daughter” section, but does NOT remember today Susan telling him probably killed her.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“As I sit her I remember it differently. It was more ‘Even if he killed, her I’d still be his friend’”.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Goldberg: He does NOT remember Susan saying she believed Robert Durst killed his wife. This is different than his prior testimony. However, he does believe Susan knew more than she let on. She was always secretive about that topic.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Susan Berman was having $ problems in the late 90s. Lost her savings developing a musical theater piece that never came to fruition. Goldberg at one point loaned her $5k, but didn’t anticipate getting paid back.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Goldberg was aware Durst had lent Susan Berman money. Also, Susan told him Bobby Durst was conceded that even without a body the investigation into Kathy Durst’s disappearance would be reopened.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Goldberg: In his last conversation with Susan Berman, she told him she had plans to see Bob Durst.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Goldberg did not want to testify, told the DA this multiple times, but ultimately agreed to “to do his duty”. No cross examination from the defense.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Next witness is Susan Berman’s college roommate at UCLA. They were in the same sorority. Close friends, talked daily. Knew Bob Durst, but met him through Susan.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Witness: The fact that Bob Durst had money seemed like an important detail to Susan. Their friendship grew closer and closer over the years.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Question: Did Susan ever express a romantic interest in Robert Durst. Witness: At one point she said it would be nice to have his baby. I don’t think it was romantic, I think it was financial. She wanted a baby and was very fond of Bobby.”

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Witness: Susan’s professional life plateaued around her 40s, and she went from a woman with early success and a trust fund to the point where she mortgaged her home, sold her mother’s jewelry, and was borrowing money. Borrowed a few grand from the witness.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Witness: Susan called Robert Durst her “Ace in the Hole”

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Witness: Susan went to the Florida Keys with Bobby Durst weeks after Kathy Durst’s disappearance and did not mention Kathy once.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]According to her close friend: Susan Berman apparently had a code of honor from her mob upbringing in Las Vegas which meant she would never rat on anyone, even for murder.[/FONT]

Tortoise, I cannot thank you enough for your excellent summaries, here and at other threads. you do a great job and it is much appreciated!
:tyou:

Does anyone know why the hearing is just now taking place 18 years after the murder? I can't seem to find anything that says why it has been so long.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Does anyone know why the hearing is just now taking place 18 years after the murder? I can't seem to find anything that says why it has been so long.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Durst, who had faded from the spotlight after he was acquitted of murder in Texas in 2003, was launched back into the national consciousness when he became the subject of a six-part HBO documentary, "The Jinx."

The series explored what happened to Durst's first wife and Berman...

In the HBO series' closing episodes, filmmakers revealed they had uncovered a letter that Durst sent to Berman one year before her death. The note had several similarities to an anonymous letter sent to Beverly Hills police in 2000 that tipped them off to Berman's body. The envelopes on both misspelled "Beverly" as "Beverley."

[FONT=&amp]Durst was arrested on a murder warrant issued in Berman's killing on March 14, 2015, one day before the finale of "The Jinx" aired on HBO. In the series' final episode, director Andrew Jarecki confronted Durst with the note in the series' final scene. Durst, possibly unaware he was still wearing a live microphone, then disappeared into a nearby restroom and muttered what some have interpreted as a chilling confession.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"What the hell did I do? Killed them all, of course," Durst muttered.

[/FONT]

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-robert-durst-arraignment-20161107-story.html

Tortoise, I feel like I am shadowing you lately .... I was trying to post a similar article and WS went down. On my return, I see you got here first. Thanks!!

Tortoise, I feel like I am shadowing you lately .... I was trying to post a similar article and WS went down. On my return, I see you got here first. Thanks!!
:)

I've been having problems with the site crashing too.

Peter Wilk — the now-retired surgeon who mentored Kathleen years ago [...]

During his testimony, prosecutors displayed notes Wilk said he took during the 1981 meeting that included the phrases "in the midst of divorce not very pleasant," "assaulted" and "homicidal side."

[FONT=&amp]On Tuesday, Los Angeles Police Officer Rashad Sharif testified that on December 24, 2000, he and his partner responded to a home on Benedict Canyon Drive for a welfare check after a concerned neighbor called 911 to report Berman's backdoor had been left open.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Sharif testified that he, his partner and two other officers who arrived before them discovered a body splayed on the floor near the doorway of a bedroom.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Prosecutors showed crime scene photos of Berman, who was barefoot and dressed in blue pajama bottoms and a white shirt, lying on her back with her arms outstretched. Blood had dried on her face. Nearby, two of Berman's dogs had left several bloody paw prints on the hardwood floors.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]The officer testified that there were no signs of a burglary — no shattered windows, no overturned furniture and both a computer and a purse had been left in plain sight.

[...]

During cross-examination, Durst's lead attorney, Dick DeGuerin, seemed to suggest the crime scene may have been contaminated.

[...]

Durst will return to court Thursday as prosecutors gather testimony from conditional witnesses who may be unavailable during the trial. The preliminary hearing will resume in October.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-robert-durst-20180418-story.html

more to read at link. October?
[/FONT]
:facepalm:[FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Robert Durst's Los Angeles murder case took an unexpected turn Wednesday, veering into the love life of former Westchester County District Attorney Jeanine Pirro.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
Writer Lisa DePaulo was called to the witness stand during a special pre-trial hearing and put on the spot about Pirro's rumored romance with Cody Cazalas, the Texas homicide detective who investigated Durst for the 2001 death and dismemberment of neighbor Morris Black.

[...]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It wasn't immediately clear why the alleged romance became a hot topic at the hearing.

[...]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DePaulo testified Wednesday in a “conditional” exam that was videotaped for possible admission at trial if she becomes unavailable.

[...]

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The preliminary hearing in the murder case that started Monday was paused before DePaulo took the stand and will resume in October, the judge previously ruled.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ly-affair-robert-durst-case-article-1.3942442
[/FONT]

Am I misunderstanding ... there will be no more of the hearing until October?

The preliminary hearing in the murder case that started Monday was paused before DePaulo took the stand and will resume in October, the judge previously ruled.

Or was that from this earlier proceeding? According to this from September 2017:

Durst, who is charged with murdering his best friend in 2000, was scheduled to have a preliminary hearing in mid-October [2017]. But Superior Court Judge Mark E. Windham said the postponement was necessary to accommodate Durst’s defense team — some of whom live in Houston and sustained damage to their homes and offices during Hurricane Harvey. The hearing, which is expected to take two weeks, is slated to begin April 16 [2018]

http://www.mcall.com/news/breaking/la-me-la-durst-hearing-20170920-story.html

Ah, do you think they might have confused the ruling last year? The delays are crazy if not. One might think they are waiting for him to die of old age...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53
Back