GUILTY CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000

Thursday, June 10th:
*Trial continues (Day 14) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
Trial began on 2/11/20 with pretrial motions & jury selection started on 2/19/20. Trial started on 3/4/20. Jury: 8 women & 4 men. 11 alternates. (1 alternate excused on 5/18/21) Now 10 alternates. (Trial expected to last 5 months). Trial stopped 3/16/20 due COVID-19 & will restart on 7/27/20 & retrial was to restart on 4/12/21 continued to 5/17/21 continued to 5/18/21. No court on Fridays.

Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-12 (5/18/21 thru 6/8/21) reference post #298 here:
CA - Susan Berman, 55, fatally shot, Los Angeles, 23 Dec 2000 *Arrest*

6/9/21 Wednesday, Trial Day 13: State witnesses: Mella Kaufman. She & her bro were raised by Susan Berman. Douglas Oliver, friend of Durst’s. After the jury was sent home the judge denied another motion for mistrial by the defense. They say improper for Lewin to ask Oliver about visiting Durst in jail or jail calls. He says it's improper for jury to know the defendant is in custody. Trial continues on 6/10/21.

For Thursday, June 10th:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
1h
#RobertDurst - BREAKING: Robert Durst is NOT IN COURT. Judge has cancelled court for the day. Trial resumes Monday. Stay tuned for more information.

Durst2.jpg

BREAKING: ROBERT DURST HAS BEEN HOSPITALIZED.

Jury has been sent home until Monday. Arguments happening over when witness Douglas Oliver will return to continue his testimony.

Judge2.jpg

Douglas Oliver's mother is hospitalized. He's asking for time before he needs to return to testify. He's ordered to return Wednesday, June 16.

Defense attorney David Chesnoff asked the judge if he could be excused and he rushed out of the courtroom.

Prosecutor Lewin says Durst has been recorded in previous jail calls saying he was going to fake dementia. Lewin says he's not sure if today is fake or real. Judge says Durst "was down, he was not in his chair".

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

I'm confused, both Durst and the hostile witness's mother were hospitalised at the same time?

I will have to watch and catch up.

Thanks again @Niner

This trial could have saved a lot of time by both sides stipulating that police in the Kathy Durst trial suspected Susan Berman may have made the phone call to the Dean claiming to be Kathy. Not for the truth of the matter but to simply to confirm it was part of their theory in that case. I firmly believe all of this time being spent on the Kathy Durst case is going to backfire on them, and this psychopath will duck responsibility yet again.
I don't think spending a lot of time on the Kathy Durst case is going to backfire. If they can prove that Robert killed his wife and Berman kept his secret all those years, it gives him a motive for killing her. He thought she was about to reveal all, and she would have been the best witness for the prosecution. He wasn't about to let that happen. Imo

This last day of testimony has been the best TV in years! It was fascinating, Lewin / DA trying to break down this witness Doug Oliver. The witness DO is so determined not to be an asset … great showdown.

Per Lewin, DO is also a rich real estate holder, altho not near durst level of wealth …. IMO speculation I wonder if there is a payout waiting for DO if he can avoid giving the prosecution anything. He’s a longtime close friend of Durst, if he were to testify honestly, no doubt he’d have enough to convict.

But then his first day of testimony ended, & now his second day couldn’t happen - Durst injured himself & was taken to the jail hospital this morning so court was canceled.

The judge ordered DO to reappear Monday. DO pulled out some story about a plan to visit his 104-yo mother with a broken hip at her senior living facility in Philly on Monday.

The judge said even tho this witness is the most uncooperative ever, he is now cooperating so let’s take him in good faith. So supposedly DO is flying back to the east coast tonight & will be back to continue his testimony on Weds. imo I wonder if he is fleeing the country.

Here is part 1 of DO, starting at 33 min in:
https://youtu.be/UvtfDTWRgdY
DO testimony contd part 2:

This last day of testimony has been the best TV in years! It was fascinating, Lewin / DA trying to break down this witness Doug Oliver. The witness DO is so determined not to be an asset … great showdown.

Per Lewin, DO is also a rich real estate holder, altho not near durst level of wealth …. IMO speculation I wonder if there is a payout waiting for DO if he can avoid giving the prosecution anything. He’s a longtime close friend of Durst, if he were to testify honestly, no doubt he’d have enough to convict.

But then his first day of testimony ended, & now his second day couldn’t happen - Durst injured himself & was taken to the jail hospital this morning so court was canceled.

The judge ordered DO to reappear Monday. DO pulled out some story about a plan to visit his 104-yo mother with a broken hip at her senior living facility in Philly on Monday.

The judge said even tho this witness is the most uncooperative ever, he is now cooperating so let’s take him in good faith. So supposedly DO is flying back to the east coast tonight & will be back to continue his testimony on Weds. imo I wonder if he is fleeing the country.

Here is part 1 of DO, starting at 33 min in:
DO testimony contd part 2:
I watched it too!

For sure he knows what happened to Kathie, IMO.

I was delighted to see his credibility torn to shreds, his planned little game of amnesia backfired time after time when the tapes were played. There were a couple of glimpses of his memory being as sharp as a razor, not many, but when he argued back about dates of telephone calls it became very obvious, IMO. Defense asked if they could hold a voir dire to see if there was a reason for his repeated answers of not remembering and not understanding the questions, judge said no. Hilarious when he had to write down the question from Lewin on the phone call before he would answer it, "do you know why Bob did not want to talk about Kathie's disappearance?", first claiming it was a question with a double negative, then not understanding the question multiple times. Then there was the repeated twisting of blame onto the prosecutors for missed and inconvenient appointments to answer questions, and his accusations of them being rude to him. His games are just so transparent and he looks completely foolish.

I couldn't tell if the laughter was in the courtroom or on the impeachment tape recordings they had to play. I hope it wasn't in the courtroom!

I thought his behavior was a little concerning when he wouldn't give Lewin back the log of his phone calls with Durst. Quite an unpredictable and aggressive way of behaving, IMO. He could remember his home phone number back in 1982 right off the bat! (watch from 51:18 in video no.2 in your post to see the part about his phone records. He asks to see them, waits for Lewin to stand back, and then doesn't even look at them. A particular call 31st Jan, 7pm (the date of Kathie's disappearance) seemed to cause him consternation but it wasn't resolved yet, they are going to return to it. See him grab the records from Lewin again, starting at 53:23 mins in the video.) He isn't doing Durst any favors, as a juror I would throw out his testimony, whatever positive stuff he is going to try to contribute to the defense.

I didn't hear anything about Durst injuring himself, the judge said "we understand he is in the jail hospital because of some incident involving his health"'.

I think most likely DO will be back, I'm not sure he was originally intending to be but when he heard the judge utter the words arrest warrant and body attachment his ears perked up for sure. I'm not sure the visit on Monday to his mother is even true after listening to the last part.

Judge: "I did need to issue a body attachment in this case and again, out of respect and courtesy I held that body attachment, I won't hold it this time, I'll issue the arrest warrant if I need to, but I don't think that's necessary because this witness has said, he's given his word that he will be present..."

Defence - wtte. we would prefer Monday for continuity

DO: "I'm trying to accommodate you, see I just need to be back in Philadelphia tomorrow, [my comment - tomorrow would be Friday] if I could arrange to be back here Monday, ah no forget it it's too complicated, ok, we'll stick with Wednesday, I'm just concerned if I could finish this next week, I want to make sure it doesn't run over past Thursday because I think you're dark on Fridays. Okay, Wednesday I will be here."

Last edited:
I watched it too!

I was delighted to see his credibility torn to shreds, his planned little game of amnesia backfired time after time when the tapes were played. There were a couple of glimpses of his memory being as sharp as a razor, not many, but when he argued back about dates of telephone calls it became very obvious, IMO. Defense asked if they could hold a voir dire to see if there was a reason for his repeated answers of not remembering and not understanding the questions, judge said no. Hilarious when he had to write down the question from Lewin on the phone call before he would answer it, "do you know why Bob did not want to talk about Kathie's disappearance?", first claiming it was a question with a double negative, then not understanding the question multiple times. Then there was the repeated twisting of blame onto the prosecutors for missed and inconvenient appointments to answer questions, and his accusations of them being rude to him. His games are just so transparent and he looks completely foolish.

I couldn't tell if the laughter was in the courtroom or on the impeachment tape recordings they had to play. I hope it wasn't in the courtroom!

I thought his behavior was a little concerning when he wouldn't give Lewin back the log of his phone calls with Durst. Quite an unpredictable and aggressive way of behaving, IMO. He could remember his home phone number back in 1982 right off the bat! (watch from 51:18 in video no.2 in your post to see the part about his phone records. He asks to see them, waits for Lewin to stand back, and then doesn't even look at them. A particular call 31st Jan, 7pm (the date of Kathie's disappearance) seemed to cause him consternation but it wasn't resolved yet, they are going to return to it. See him grab the records from Lewin again, starting at 53:23 mins in the video.) He isn't doing Durst any favors, as a juror I would throw out his testimony, whatever positive stuff he is going to try to contribute to the defense.

I didn't hear anything about Durst injuring himself, the judge said "we understand he is in the jail hospital because of some incident involving his health"'.

I think most likely DO will be back, I'm not sure he was originally intending to be but when he heard the judge utter the words arrest warrant and body attachment his ears perked up for sure. I'm not sure the visit on Monday to his mother is even true after listening to the last part.

Judge: "I did need to issue a body attachment in this case and again, out of respect and courtesy I held that body attachment, I won't hold it this time, I'll issue the arrest warrant if I need to, but I don't think that's necessary because this witness has said, he's given his word that he will be present..."

DO: "I'm trying to accommodate you, see I just need to be back in Philadelphia tomorrow, [my comment - tomorrow would be Friday] if I could arrange to be back here Monday, ah no forget it it's too complicated, ok, we'll stick with Wednesday, I'm just concerned if I could finish this next week, I want to make sure it doesn't run over past Thursday because I think you're dark on Fridays. Okay, Wednesday I will be here."

yay I’m happy you are watching too! It’s too good not to discuss!

re Durst “injuring himself” IMO my words only as you sharply caught! I based that on what little info the judge offered when DA Lewin (technically ADA I presume) pressed on whether it was credible.

The judge said “he was down” & something about his chair. So IMO durst was either A) injured while sitting in his chair & fell out of it due to injury (“injured” as in maybe EG had a stroke and/or was hit by someone else); or B) fell out of his chair, on purpose or not, & injured himself in the process; or C) fell out of his chair & is faking A) and/or B). Since nothing the judge said seemed to imply more than passive involvement by anyone else, I was thinking B) or C)!

I hate long posts, I always lose them part written, so I’m just going to post this & reply again to your other points….

I watched it too!

It’s so interesting cuz ITA but then I see DO different! I didn’t see him as putting on an amnesia act … I saw IMO just open aggression & hostile focus on ‘winning’ every exchange.

IE not feigned forgetfulness … open defiance in only way possible MOO. By the end Lewin had broken him IMO & it would’ve gotten reeeeal hot if it had been able to continue !!

Yeah it is nuts to imagine him fleeing. But if he were to fly his private plane to London to evade LE, as he threatened to do in one of those insane phone calls, his lawyer could negotiate his return on acceptable terms whenever in the future. Maybe the court is holding his passport , tho of course Durst always had a whole collection of those.

But IA most likely DO comes back! Anything else would be idiotic. Its just he seemed so hellbent on giving nothing … then all of a sudden his elderly mother, hrmm. I wonder if he even really has an elderly mother… let alone if he’d really planned to visit her on those days before it occurred as an excuse to flee the hot seat :rolleyes:

i see upthread that Durst gave DO a fist pump during his appearance. I have to wonder did Lewin really split this happy pair apart?

Maybe Durst will never “recover” sufficiently for the trial to resume anyway & DO knows it so he’s outta there MOO anything is possible with these goons

Not too sure if there will be a trial hearing today - but will post this just in case there is.

Monday, June 14th:
*Trial continues (Day 14) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.
Was serving a 7 year federal prison term for illegal possession of a revolver at the time of his New Orleans’ arrest.
Trial began on 2/11/20 with pretrial motions & jury selection started on 2/19/20. Trial started on 3/4/20. Jury: 8 women & 4 men. 11 alternates. (1 alternate excused on 5/18/21) Now 10 alternates. (Trial expected to last 5 months). Trial stopped 3/16/20 due COVID-19 & will restart on 7/27/20 & retrial was to restart on 4/12/21 continued to 5/17/21 continued to 5/18/21. No court on Fridays.

Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-13 (5/18/21 thru 6/9/21) reference post #301 here:

6/10/21 Thursday, Trial Day xx: No court today – Durst has been hospitalized. The last witness Douglas Olivier’s mother has been hospitalized & he will return for testimony on 6/16/21. Court continues on Monday, 6/14/21.

Thanks Niner!!

fingers crossed it goes forward - even if not today. Justice has been delayed for so long here for mr rules-don’t-apply-to-me …. and he was right there where justice wanted him. Just let’s get it finished!!

Tweets for today, Monday, 6/14/21.

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
1h
#RobertDurst - We are at the courthouse. Attorneys have not arrived yet. Still waiting to hear if Durst will be in court today after being hospitalized last Thursday.

BREAKING: #RobertDurst IS at the courthouse today. The trial will resume around 9am PT/12pm ET

Durst.jpg

I fully expect the defense to motion for mistrial and/or day due to Durst's hospitalization last week. Even though Durst is there in person - I still expect the motion.

Durst2.jpg

Defense attorney Dick Deguerin was speaking to Judge Windham at the bench - court not in session. The judge asked our photog to exit the courtroom. We're waiting for more news.

Lewin just arrived. Court should be on the record any minute and I have no doubt the defense wants to delay.

Judge has gone back in chambers with court reporter, defense and prosecution.

LIVE NOW. Judge says Durst is not able to stand and therefore can't get dressed.
Durst has a catheter in.

Durst3.jpg

Durst holds up his bag with urine in it.

Durst4.jpg

DeGuerin does not want the trial to go forward saying Durst is very ill.

Deguerin.jpg

Reminder: Durst has bladder cancer and has been being treated in the medical unit of the jail. He was found last Thursday on the floor and hospitalized. Now he had a catheter in. He has a UTI w/sepsis.

Judge Windham: He's been approved by a physician to come to court today.
Judge wanting to put this on the record.
He says there are health & safety procedures at the jail and the courthouse.

Judge.jpg

Judge Windham has been adamant that this trial will go forward. Defense has motioned multiple times in the last 14 months for mistrial/delay. He's denied it all.

Prosecutor John Lewin: This doesn't exist in a vacuum. We have to look at the history. Durst is on tape about faking dementia. He's on tape about getting Covid so this trial can start over. "He doesn't want to be here. He doesn't want this trial to continue."

Lewin: Everybody knows that Mr. Durst has been in jail.

Lewin addressing this because Durst would have to be in jail clothes in front of jury.

Again defense objecting that the jury will know Durst is in custody by wearing jail clothes. HOWEVER, his wheelchair has Property of Los Angeles Jail on it. Jury has seen that every day.

Durst5.jpg

Judge Windham is NOT adjourning this trial. Asking for a jacket for Durst to put over the back of his chair.
Recess while they get him prepared for the jury.

During this break, Durst has been shrouded in a light green blanket.

Jury is in. Durst is covered in a blanket.

Durst6.jpg

Longtime friend of Susan Berman has taken the stand. Susie Harmon met Berman at boarding school.

Harmon.jpg

Susie Harmon was part of Susan Berman's wedding to Mister (first name he called himself) Margulies. Marguiles was 25, Susan was 38. Marriage lasted less than year due to Marguiles' heroin use. He eventually overdose/died after divorce.

PIX.jpg

Only 2 tweets in the last 55 minutes...

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
27m
#RobertDurst - Susie Harmon testifies she got a call from Susan Berman who was upset. Berman told her Bobby

had a fight with his wife and something "terrible" happened and mentioned an accident involving stairs.

Harmon testified in this call where Berman told her something horrible happened, she told Harmon she had to

do something to help Bob.

Will only be up for another 1/2 hour - so will continue the tweets in the morning. I'm 10 hours ahead of Pacific time. :)

Tweets continued for Monday, June 14th:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
12m
#RobertDurst - After a contentious back and forth under cross-examination of witness Susie Harmon. She is excused. Court recessed for lunch until 2pm PT/5pm ET. Longer lunch today due to juror appointment.

Hollywood producer and friend of Susan Berman, Lynda Obst, previous recorded testimony being played.

Lynda.jpg

OOPS, the blanket that's meant to hide the urine bag and jail clothes from the jury....keeps falling off.

Bob keeps moving his chair around.

Blanket.jpg

Bob just wrote something and passed it to Dick DeGuerin.

Durst.jpg

Susan Berman's friend, Lynda Obst, testifies that Susan told her she made a phone call to Albert Einstein medical school for Durst saying she was Kathie Durst.

Blanket Statement: Robert Durst Murder Trial Continues on Even After 78-Year-Old Was Hospitalized for Health Scare

Durst2.jpg

Durst writes another note and passes it to DeGuerin. He's appeared VERY involved in his defense and has been the entire time.

Court adjourned until 9am PT/12pm ET tomorrow.

Tuesday, June 15th:
*Trial continues (Day 15) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.

Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-13 (5/18/21 thru 6/10/21) reference post #310 here:

6/14/21 Monday, Trial Day 14: Judge has gone back in chambers with court reporter, defense & prosecution. Judge says Durst is not able to stand & therefore can't get dressed. Durst has a catheter in. Defense attorney Dick DeGuerin does not want the trial to go forward saying Durst is very ill. Judge Windham: He's been approved by a physician to come to court today. Judge wanting to put this on the record. He says there are health & safety procedures at the jail & the courthouse. udge Windham has been adamant that this trial will go forward. Defense has motioned multiple times in the last 14 months for mistrial/delay. He's denied it all. Judge Windham is NOT adjourning this trial. Asking for a jacket for Durst to put over the back of his chair (because it says LA County Jail) on wheelchair.
State witnesses: Susie Harmon, long time friend of Susan Berman (met in boarding school). Lynda Obst, friend of Susan's on previous recorded testimony was played. Trial continues on 6/15/21.

Tweets for Tuesday, 6/15/21:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
2h
#RobertDurst - The trial is set to resume at 9am PT/12pm ET. Watch Live on @LawCrimeNetwork
, on Law & Crime - Law and Crime News or here:

His notepad and iPad are on the table, ready to go. All attorneys are in.

Durst.jpg

We are LIVE on @LawCrimeNetwork
. Durst doesn't want the blanket around him today. DeGuerin tells the judge he has Durst's medical records. He says Durst's capacity to aide in his defense is "severely" impacted.

Attorney.jpg

DeGuerin reading Durst's medical records. He says he has swelling of the kidneys. He has a catheter. The antibiotic tx has begun, he has sepsis in his urine/blood stream. He has End Stage Regnal Disease and needs dialysis.

Durst2.jpg

Defense moves for another mistrial due to Durst's health.

Mistrial.jpg

Prosecutor Lewin says the defense yesterday said Durst's UTI was septic and that's not true. He also said the doctor did not say that Durst needed dialysis immediately, he said if he continues down this path he can't rule out dialysis.

Judge Windham says Durst has been cleared to attend court so his situation isn't grave. Lewin stands up and says yesterday Durst was writing/passing notes and involved in his defense.

Judge Windham DENIES defense motion for mistrial.

Judge.jpg

Right on cue, Durst starts taking notes.

Durst3.jpg

Hollywood producer & friend of Susan Berman, Lynda Obst, testimony continues. Yesterday she testified that Susan Berman told her she called Kathie's med school pretending to be her after Kathie went missing.

Lynda.jpg

Defense attorney Dick DeGuerin wants a hearing so he can call Durst's doctor to testify about his health. He wants it today since the jury is leaving early. Lewin objected that it was short notice for a hearing. Judge will consider.

In-person witness. Lev Ginsburg is Lynda Obst's attorney. He also represented her in 2015 when Lynda had seen The Jinx. He says Lynda contacted him after watch the show and told him that Susan Berman told her she impersonated Kathie Durst in a call to med school.

Ginsburg.jpg

Ginsburg testifies he advised Lynda Obst to contact the authorities

The rest of the tweets for Tuesday, 6/15:

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
14h
#RobertDurst - Looks like Durst had fallen asleep. Chesnoff when to check on him and it appeared he woke him up.

Durst.jpg Durst2.jpg Durst3.jpg

Now recorded testimony of Paul Kaufman. He dated Susan Berman. His two children Mella & Sareb were raised by Susan Berman even after she was no longer dating Kaufman. They considered her as their mother.

Kaufman.jpg

Court lunch until 1:30 PT/4:30 ET. They are ending for the day at 2:30 PT/5:30 ET due to a juror conflict.

Durst4.jpg

He's not looking too good...

Not sure IF there was a meeting with Judge & the attorneys regarding calling the doctor in to testify about Durst's medical condition.

Wednesday, June 16th:
*Trial continues (Day 16) (@ 9am PT) – CA – Susan Berman (55) (Dec. 24, 2000, Beverly Hills) – *Robert Alan Durst (57 @ time of crime/72/now 78) arrested (3/14/15) extradited (11/1/16 from Indiana prison to Calif.) & charged with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $4M Bond.

Jury Selection from 2/19/20 thru 3/3/20 (Days 1-8) & Trial Days 1-6 (3/4/20 thru 3/12/20) & Court info from 3/16/20 thru 5/12/21 & Trial Days 1-14 (5/18/21 thru 6/14/21) reference post #315 here:

6/15/21 Tuesday, Trial Day 15: Defense attorney Dick DeGuerin tells the judge he has Durst's medical records. He says Durst's capacity to aide in his defense is "severely" impacted. DeGuerin read Durst's medical records. He said he has swelling of the kidneys. He has a catheter. The antibiotic tx has begun, he has sepsis in his urine/blood stream. He has End Stage Regnal Disease & needs dialysis. Defense moves for another mistrial due to Durst's health. Prosecutor Lewin says the defense yesterday said Durst's UTI was septic & that's not true. He also said the doctor did not say that Durst needed dialysis immediately; he said if he continues down this path he can't rule out dialysis. Judge Windham says Durst has been cleared to attend court so his situation isn't grave. Lewin stands up & said yesterday Durst was writing/passing notes & involved in his defense. Judge Windham DENIES defense motion for mistrial.
State witnesses: Lynda Obst on video recorded testimony continued. Lev Ginsburg, attorney for Obst. Paul Kaufman on video recorded testimony. He once dates Susan.
Defense attorney DeGuerin wants a hearing so he can call Durst's doctor to testify about his health. He wants it today since the jury is leaving early. Lewin objected that it was short notice for a hearing. Judge will consider. Trial continues on 6/16/21.

Tweets for Wednesday, 6/16

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
1h
#RobertDurst - We expect arguments before the jury enters today. Watch live on @LawCrimeNetwork
pix from yesterday:
Drust.jpg

#RobertDurst has shaved his head.

Durst1.jpg

Judge is ruling on defense mistrial brought up at the end of yesterday regarding Durst's medical condition and continuing the trial.

- Judge again denies defense request and calls for the jury to be brought in.

Now that his head is shaved you can see the scar from when doctors installed a shunt. He had "hydrocephalus" - fluid on the brain.

Durst2.jpg

- Douglas Oliver has returned to the stand. He is still under direct examination by prosecutor John Lewin. Remember he was declared a hostile witness.

Oliver.jpg

Everyone is having problems with their hearing aids from Durst to Lewin to Oliver.

Everyone.jpg

Several jurors are shaking their heads at Oliver's responses/non-responses.

- I still don't understand why jurors are allowed to have their phones. RIGHT NOW there's a juror that has his credit card in his hand and looks to be paying a bill or shopping with his phone during Oliver's testimony.

I've been so distracted with Bob's shaved head, hearing aid problems and juror on his phone that I haven't tweeted about this testimony. Just repeat what we saw the first time around with Oliver. He doesn't remember or know anything.

Lewin: Mr. DeGuerin would you like me to put this up on the ELMO so he can see it?
DeGuerin: No, I'd like you to just forget about it.
Laughter from jurors and pretty sure some clapping.
This is the craziest trial.

Judge Windham is trying to reign Lewin in and tells him to ask questions of Oliver that contain 3 or 4 words instead of long questions. Lewin asks his next questions and DeGuerin interrupts: That was about 8 words.

I can't remember the last time I saw testimony that was so contentious with every.single.question.

DeGuerin: Objection, relevance!
Judge: Yeah, I'm thinking about sustaining that.
DeGuerin: Think hard.

Group.jpg

Lewin: Your honor, this needs a sidebar.
Judge: This whole thing needs a sidebar.
Judge calls for morning break.

Judge.jpg

This thing is all over the place.
I understand this is a hostile witness but are some of these questions, which are getting asked 4-5 times in succession, really THAT important for the prosecution? I don’t understand. And I don’t know, maybe I haven’t watched enough yet but this witness doesn’t seem to be trying to be vague and elusive all the time….
Asking something like “at that time you did not ask Durst whether or not about Susan Berman….” it’s just very wordy. And maybe it’s somewhat good the jury is distracted because the prosecutor can be seen getting very agitated, understandably so, but having to hold back some of his laughter in disbelief isn’t a great look in my opinion.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back