GUILTY CA - Teacher Mark Berndt charged with molesting 23 children

Has anyone found a bio on Berndt? I'm surprised that an investigative reporter hasn't researched his personal life. The only thing I found was a listing for a Torrance address which was shared with another man. Was Berndt married, did he have a partner, any children? Volunteer work or church work with little ones?

Or did he simply rely on a fresh batch of primary grade school kids being shuttled into his classroom each September? Like little lambs to slaughter.......

Nope never married and no children, Izzy. Imagine nobody scooped up a prize like this guy.

Neighbors said he owned the apartment with a sister? They used the word "owned" and he definately has a sister.

Sorry to say I believe he's originally from Oregon. Bend? However it's obvious he's lived in California for years.

No church. No Boys Scouts. No youth pastor. However, he had been invited to functions for some of his pupils outside of school. Example birthdays and such.

He likes classical music, and camping by himself. According to neighbors. Oh and a bondage video with adults in it found at the home. He's an equal opportunity sadist this freakazoid.

That makes sense now that they have the female in the equation. He'd sub for her or he'd pick kids out of her class and she'd pull them from class.

It's a bloomin cult. Creeper cult.

I just knew that others in the school HAD to be involved. As I said earlier, I worked in LAUSD for 15 years in various campuses. There is a very strict OPEN DOOR policy in that district. Teachers are to have their doors open, much of the day. if they need to close them for some quiet time, they should expect that other staff is going to walk in at any time.

And after school it is considered a big NO NO to be in the classroom alone with
kids. You can have a few of them help clean up or you can have some meetings with a student or two, but the door should be open or another adult should be present if it goes on for longer than a few minutes.

Teachers follow those rules for their own protection as well, especially male teachers.

So when I read about all of the accusations here, I KNEW that others in thew school knew what was up. They might not have known exactly what specific details happened, but they knew he was a sick puppy, imo.

There's a very disturbing youtube video concerning Mark Berndt's sister. It should come up if you search for those words.

Warning: Very disturbing with some language.

So, Berndt was also seen with a neighbor girl??

Are you talking about the whole "Don't tell my sister i was with this young girl" thing??

Yes, that's the statement but I don't recall reading all the details. I don't see this link on the thread:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...iding-bike-with-young-girl-neighbor-says.html

Neighbor says teacher rode tandem bike with young girl

"An elementary school teacher accused of gagging and blindfolding students in his class was described as a loner who took camping trips by himself and seemed perpetually nervous and skittish, a neighbor recalled Tuesday. JM, who said he has known Mark Berndt for 20 years, said he saw the fired grade school teacher a month ago riding a tandem bicycle along the waterfront in Hermosa Beach with a young girl who appeared to be in her early teens.

Berndt seemed unnerved when JM spotted him, the neighbor said, and later told him: “Don’t tell my sister I was with this young girl." The neighbor said Berndt told him the girl was one of his students and that they had ridden the bicycle nearly as far as Marina del Rey and back...."

more at link

FWIW, Berndt's apt. in Torrance is about 13 miles from Marina del Rey, if you ride a bike along the coastline. Quite a ways. And note that Berndt described the girl as one of his students and yet the neighbor thought she was in her teens. Maybe a former student? Does this mean that he stayed connected to former students...possible former or longtime victims???

Yes, that's the statement but I don't recall reading all the details. I don't see this link on the thread:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...iding-bike-with-young-girl-neighbor-says.html

Neighbor says teacher rode tandem bike with young girl

"An elementary school teacher accused of gagging and blindfolding students in his class was described as a loner who took camping trips by himself and seemed perpetually nervous and skittish, a neighbor recalled Tuesday. JM, who said he has known Mark Berndt for 20 years, said he saw the fired grade school teacher a month ago riding a tandem bicycle along the waterfront in Hermosa Beach with a young girl who appeared to be in her early teens.

Berndt seemed unnerved when JM spotted him, the neighbor said, and later told him: “Don’t tell my sister I was with this young girl." The neighbor said Berndt told him the girl was one of his students and that they had ridden the bicycle nearly as far as Marina del Rey and back...."

more at link

FWIW, Berndt's apt. in Torrance is about 13 miles from Marina del Rey, if you ride a bike along the coastline. Quite a ways. And note that Berndt described the girl as one of his students and yet the neighbor thought she was in her teens. Maybe a former student? Does this mean that he stayed connected to former students...possible former or longtime victims???

Oh Lord whose the poor girl from the tandem bike?

Why not tell his sister? What's his sister his mom? Maybe it's not really even his sister?

Maybe he didn't even reallly go camping? Maybe he did, but not alone?

13 miles? Hmmmmmmmm. Did he drive the bike and the girl to the location? If that neighbor is correct then there's reason for concern.

Right. His students are in 3rd grade. Not teens. Hard to confuse IMO. However, it wouldn't be difficult to confuse a giggling female who is a very young teacher or teaching assistant, right?

Hopefully they'll name that teacher. That female. Is she the same one sent the "love letters"?

Poor people trying to make a life in this country for their children and once again your poorest folks get the ****** end of the stick.

Leave it to the Daily Mail to get the details for us:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-Mark-Berndt-Miramonte-School.html?ITO=1490

'I thought I was being nice and helpful': Girl, 10, describes being 'fed semen-laced vanilla cookies by teacher' at scandal-hit school
February 9, 2012

"A 10-year-old girl who attends the sex scandal-hit Los Angeles school has revealed how a teacher allegedly fed her semen-laced vanilla cookies with white frosting and sprinkles almost every day. Mark Berndt, 61, allegedly committed lewd acts on 23 children aged six to ten in a five-year period - with police finding around 600 photos, some of which show blindfolded pupils being fed his semen. The pupil at Miramonte Elementary School in Los Angeles, California, told KTLA that Berndt would ask a female teacher to send her to his adjoining classroom, where he would give her the cookies.

‘Mr Berndt, he called my teacher and said if he could borrow some students,’ the pupil told the TV station. ‘I went there, and he gave me a cookie. The teacher said: "Why is she getting the cookie?" ‘He said: "Because she's been helping a lot",’ she told KTLA. ‘I thought that he was just giving me the cookie because I was nice and that I helped. He would take (pictures) with his cell phone....’

and

"...He also wrote warm notes such as ‘surely no teacher could ever have a more wonderful student than you!!’ and ‘P.P.S. The Roaches Say 'Hi!'‘ He signed the notes: ‘Mr. B.’

More at link

P.P.P.S......"The roaches say 'Hi!'" There's the threat to stay silent, IMO.

My question too, Filly. Who else rode that tandem bike? How can we be certain that the camping trips were by himself? Is this sister in the know? What's her relationship with her brother?

Even though the youtube video is graphic and quite a stretch, I have the same concerns. How could absolutely NO ONE have known about this monster????

The guy fought the dismissal!! This is outrageous and adds fuel to the parents' and taxpayers' fury:

http://www.scpr.org/blogs/education...paid-40000-settle-case-miramonte-teacher-acc/

LAUSD paid $40,000 to settle case with Miramonte teacher Mark Berndt
February 9, 2012

"The Los Angeles Unified School District agreed last June to pay about $40,000 to settle its dismissal case against former Miramonte Elementary teacher Mark Berndt, who has since been charged with 23 counts of lewd conduct, including spoon-feeding his semen to children.

The District suspended the former Miramonte Elementary School third-grade teacher last February, and initiated steps to fire him. According to district documents, the LAUSD had outlined three causes for Berndt's immediate dismissal and suspension in February: unprofessional conduct, immoral conduct and evident unfitness for service. Berndt fought the dismissal, taking it to the District's Office of Administrative Hearings.

In March, an attorney with Trygstad, Schwab & Trygstad, the firm representing Berndt, responded to the LAUSD's charges, arguing that the accusations are so “indefinite and uncertain” that she cannot prepare a defense, that Berndt is “fit to teach,” and the “charges fail to state any facts and are conclusive in nature,” according to the documents.

The case ended before going to a formal hearing when Berndt resigned in June. The District agreed to pay Berndt nearly $24,000 in backpay from the date of his suspension, allowing him to retain his lifetime health-benefits. He also received $16,000 to pay his legal fees, according to LAUSD settlement documents..."

more at link

And the settlement docs:

http://media.scpr.org/documents/2012/02/09/settlement_1.pdf

Another article about the settlement:

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-miramonte-20120210,0,91877.story?track=rss

"....The payout consisted of four months of back salary plus reimbursement for the cost of health benefits. Berndt was fired by the Board of Education in February 2011 after officials learned that the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department was investigating him for alleged lewd acts against students. He was arrested last week. The firing took Berndt off the district payroll. But he fought to keep his job through an appeal process that lasted until he settled with the school system and resigned in June. The settlement with Berndt came in the face of a dilemma, said L.A. Unified general counsel David Holmquist. A hearing on the dismissal was pending and the district didn't have evidence to justify the firing because the Sheriff's Department investigation was ongoing...."

more at link

From the LA times link directly above:

"....Meanwhile, sources close to the investigation say the Sheriff's Department is conducting inquiries into a child-abuse allegation against a male teacher who once worked at Miramonte. The incident occurred in the 1980s and was the subject of a law enforcement investigation at the time, according to records that have surfaced at L.A. Unified.

The allegation is too old to result in charges, sources said, but officials still want to learn as much as possible about what happened. In the interim, the teacher, who is working at another school, has been removed from his classroom...."

more at link

If there was an investigation at the time and new information is discovered, why in heck would the crime be outside the SOL??? Child sexual abuse by a person in the helping professions? Really?

Springer's out on bail.

http://news.yahoo.com/1-teacher-la-sex-abuse-case-free-bail-104249114.html

1 teacher in LA sex abuse case free on bail
February 10, 2012

"....A second teacher, 49-year-old Martin Springer, has pleaded not guilty to committing three lewd acts on one girl in class in 2009. He was freed on bail early Friday, though the Los Angeles County sheriff's department said he was fitted with a court-ordered electronic ankle monitor....."

more at link

Yes, those letters exist. Yikes, just looking at Berndt's "cheery" style creeps me out. I can see how he lured kids into his nasty web.

What is he eating?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...posing-tights-Mickey-Mouse-ears.html?ITO=1490

Revealed: Disturbing photos show 'serial child abuser' teacher at work in paedophile ring scandal school
February 10, 2012

"A shocking new picture has emerged of the teacher at the centre of a disturbing alleged sex scandal that led to the closure and reopening of a Los Angeles elementary school. The photo shows Mark Berndt, 61, a Miramonte Elementary School teacher accused of feeding his students spoonfuls of his semen and semen-laced cookies, dressed in black leggings and shorts. He is wearing Mickey Mouse ears and has his arm around a female student. Berndt appears to be eating a cookie of some sort, but it's unclear whether it was one of his own 'special' concoctions...."

More at link (including photos and copies of notes)

IMO, the notes show that Berndt stayed in touch with former students (adding tiny comments which appear to be threats) and even saw some of his students socially. There's an incredible amount of grooming mixed in with the well-chosen words.

I just knew that others in the school HAD to be involved. As I said earlier, I worked in LAUSD for 15 years in various campuses. There is a very strict OPEN DOOR policy in that district. Teachers are to have their doors open, much of the day. if they need to close them for some quiet time, they should expect that other staff is going to walk in at any time.

And after school it is considered a big NO NO to be in the classroom alone with
kids. You can have a few of them help clean up or you can have some meetings with a student or two, but the door should be open or another adult should be present if it goes on for longer than a few minutes.

Teachers follow those rules for their own protection as well, especially male teachers.

So when I read about all of the accusations here, I KNEW that others in thew school knew what was up. They might not have known exactly what specific details happened, but they knew he was a sick puppy, imo.

WOW. WOW just WOW.

I know I have sounded like a broken record here because I was posting several times that I was surprised that these teachers could get away with it, given the rules I worked under in my old LAUSD job. AND GUESS WHAT>>>

the NEW principal that they are bringing into this campus is MY OLD BOSS!!!

The same one that I said had the OPEN DOOR policy---the one that sent us around from class to class to bring messages or paperwork by hand, NOT by phone. This BS could never have happened under her watch.

Dolores Palacio, we LOVE you. Clean that place up,which I know you will.

WOW. WOW just WOW.

I know I have sounded like a broken record here because I was posting several times that I was surprised that these teachers could get away with it, given the rules I worked under in my old LAUSD job. AND GUESS WHAT>>>

the NEW principal that they are bringing into this campus is MY OLD BOSS!!!

The same one that I said had the OPEN DOOR policy---the one that sent us around from class to class to bring messages or paperwork by hand, NOT by phone. This BS could never have happened under her watch.

Dolores Palacio, we LOVE you. Clean that place up,which I know you will.

Get out!

You go, Principal Palacio.

Sending positive vibes her way, Katydid.

Yes, those letters exist. Yikes, just looking at Berndt's "cheery" style creeps me out. I can see how he lured kids into his nasty web.

What is he eating?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...posing-tights-Mickey-Mouse-ears.html?ITO=1490

Revealed: Disturbing photos show 'serial child abuser' teacher at work in paedophile ring scandal school
February 10, 2012

"A shocking new picture has emerged of the teacher at the centre of a disturbing alleged sex scandal that led to the closure and reopening of a Los Angeles elementary school. The photo shows Mark Berndt, 61, a Miramonte Elementary School teacher accused of feeding his students spoonfuls of his semen and semen-laced cookies, dressed in black leggings and shorts. He is wearing Mickey Mouse ears and has his arm around a female student. Berndt appears to be eating a cookie of some sort, but it's unclear whether it was one of his own 'special' concoctions...."

More at link (including photos and copies of notes)

IMO, the notes show that Berndt stayed in touch with former students (adding tiny comments which appear to be threats) and even saw some of his students socially. There's an incredible amount of grooming mixed in with the well-chosen words.

The letters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The one after the child's name he put in parenthese (college girl). I thought the guy must have kept in touch with this kid for 9 years? Nooooooo she was in 4th grade. What is that about?

The other he goes on about the poor child that moved far, far away and hates her new school. He had her to his apartment. I guess the parents were there? Plus he went to visit them so far, far away.

Mickey Mouse there is up there with Sandusky and some of the priests.

He disturbs me this guy. Now he's out. Now what? No doubt he'll do something drastic. Or not. I hope he can't ride that bike and I hope his sister kicks his tail.

Get out!

You go, Principal Palacio.

Sending positive vibes her way, Katydid.

She is an amazing woman. She truly cares about the kids. And she came out of retirement to take on this 'titanic' job. If anyone can turn around this sinking ship she can.

Back in the 90's, our little neighborhood school was losing students so it was in danger of being closed down. But the district decided to bus kids in from the inner city and to keep it open. That caused it's own host of problems. But Ms. Palacio, as she was called, came onboard and unruffled the local's feathers and made the whole thing work. She was wonderful and nurturing but strong and solid. I feel so optimistic about this school right now. :rose:

plus, she would NEVER let anything like that happen again. She strongly believed in OPEN DOORS. Teachers were never in closed off private areas with kids. EVER.

Filly--Springer's out. As far as I know, Berndt is still locked up....where he should be.

I have high high hopes for Mrs. Palacio. You know she must be the cream of the crop as the world is watching.

I've seen this statistic before but it bears repeating. Sit and ponder it for a while. Knocks your socks off, it does.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blame-la-school-sex-abuse-push-answers-poised-015200340.html

Who is to blame for LA school sex abuse? Push for answers poised to escalate
February 9, 2012

"....The current claims involve alleged abuse that took place between 2005 and 2010. However, additional victims, some dating back to 1994, are emerging to buttress the current abuse cases. This week, police obtained 200 more photographs revealing “inappropriate” actions by one of the two teachers that have been arrested, bringing the total to some 600 so far.

New Jersey attorney Gregory Gianforcaro, who was abused by a community priest when he was a child, has litigated more than 200 child sexual abuse cases and says it’s hard to hear about cases such as this. “This guy has been teaching there for 32 years,” he says, referring to one of the two teachers. While he respects the swift and dramatic action taken by the district this week when it replaced the entire elementary school staff, he says, “where were they for the last 32 years?” Mr. Gianforcaro notes that statistics on pedophile behavior point to multiple offenses as the norm. “Statistics show that most pedophiles abuse an average of 117 children...."

more at link

That's on average folks. 117 children. About four full classrooms full of kids per offender.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back